PDA

View Full Version : diesel engines more efficient than gas?

achiro
1/30/2008, 03:17 PM
On one of the auto repair shows on tv(I think it was Trucks) they built an offroad "green" vehicle. They used a diesel engine from a Jetta and mentioned several times that diesel engines are more efficient and much better for the environment. Is this true? If it is then why not promote them more? I know that VW didn't offer the Jetta turbo d this year because of some new regs of our lovely gobernment. They are suppose to have it back on our markets by next year but don't know for sure.

BTW, back to the 4wd. They installed a biodiesel conversion to it that allowed them to just pour regular old filtered used veggie oil in. Got 49mpg or something like that.:eek:

Seems like a pretty simple and quick answer to not only cut usage, but to lower greenhouse gases, AND keep the horsepower we Americanized like in the process.

OUDoc
1/30/2008, 03:20 PM
Diesels are much more efficient.
Newer diesels are much cleaner than they used to be.
Americans only like diesels in their trucks for some reason.

Jimminy Crimson
1/30/2008, 03:20 PM
BTW, back to the 4wd. They installed a biodiesel conversion to it that allowed them to just pour regular old filtered used veggie oil in. Got 49mpg or something like that.:eek:

And the exhaust smelled like french fries! :pop:

1stTimeCaller
1/30/2008, 03:21 PM
it is true

royalfan5
1/30/2008, 03:23 PM
Yes. But many people don't like the smell and noise of diesel. Plus, I'm not sure if the refining capacity to produce diesel is there if there would be a large surge in demand. Diesel has pretty much been a miserable failure in the passenger car market in the United States to this point, as that may change as the German and Japanese companies are getting ready to bring new generation diesels over, especially in luxury cars.

1stTimeCaller
1/30/2008, 03:27 PM
my Duramax is pretty quiet.

Oldnslo
1/30/2008, 03:29 PM
look for rudolph's engine to make a huge comeback. You know his first prototype ran on peanut oil?

Audi, I think, is racing diesels against IC engines... I think at Daytona and other such races.

royalfan5
1/30/2008, 03:29 PM
my Duramax is pretty quiet.
Most modern diesels are. However, the General Public's isn't since there experience with diesels is sitting next to idling semi's and the like, or they bought one GM ill-fated Olds 350 diesels in the 1980's. Personally, being from the farm, I love the sound and smell of diesels, reminds me of home.

royalfan5
1/30/2008, 03:30 PM
look for rudolph's engine to make a huge comeback. You know his first prototype ran on peanut oil?

Audi, I think, is racing diesels against IC engines... I think at Daytona and other such races.
Their high end production car is going to have a detuned version of that motor available very soon.

OUDoc
1/30/2008, 03:31 PM
Yes, they are. Made everyone else mad because they were getting a lot more MPG and didn't have to refuel as often.
http://a332.g.akamai.net/f/332/936/12h/www.edmunds.com/media/il/features/motorsports/audi.all.new.r10.le.mans.racer/audi.r10.340.jpg
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Features/articleId=109326

achiro
1/30/2008, 03:35 PM
I just look forward to pulling up to a truck stop in my little turbo-d sprts car and pulling around to the "big pumps" to fill up.:D

BTW, I have a Ford F-250 turbo-d and love it..but sure as heck don't get 40+mpg.:(

RFH Shakes
1/30/2008, 03:53 PM
look up "Audi R10 TDI"

Jerk
1/30/2008, 04:46 PM
I just look forward to pulling up to a truck stop in my little turbo-d sprts car and pulling around to the "big pumps" to fill up.:D

BTW, I have a Ford F-250 turbo-d and love it..but sure as heck don't get 40+mpg.:(
hehe.

Be careful, though. Those pumps spit the stuff out at a much higher rate than your normal gas pumps. They're set up to fill 150-200 gallons tanks rather quickly. I guess the auto-stop would work, but would it back up so fast as to spray some back out? I don't know. External truck tanks are usually filled from the top, not the side.

achiro
1/30/2008, 04:51 PM
hehe.

Be careful, though. Those pumps spit the stuff out at a much higher rate than your normal gas pumps. They're set up to fill 150-200 gallons tanks rather quickly. .
I know, and I love it with my truck. I can fill up in just a couple of minutes, I seek those stations out. Oh, and the auto stop does work at most of those places.

Jerk
1/30/2008, 04:55 PM
I know, and I love it with my truck. I can fill up in just a couple of minutes, I seek those stations out. Oh, and the auto stop does work at most of those places.

That's cool. In my tiny mind I had imagined that it would fill a little tank up so fast that you'd get some back.

OUDoc
1/30/2008, 05:32 PM
That's cool. In my tiny mind I had imagined that it would fill a little tank up so fast that you'd get some back.
Kinda like Howzit's sex life.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/30/2008, 05:32 PM
Diesels are much more efficient.
Newer diesels are much cleaner than they used to be.
Americans only like diesels in their trucks for some reason.

Doc is right except the last one.

The last item is becuase US Automakers put crap diesels in their cars in the 70s and ruined everyone in the US to diesel. If they had access to the European diesel and drive it on the autobahn like I have, they would see very little difference between gas and diesel and would prefer deisels. They do take a little different PM wise and stuff. But the Euro diesels are very nice.

Deisel is a much more efficient fuel and with the new Low Sulfur deisel and enviro friendly alternative. Problem, taking that sulfur out costs bucks, which is why deisel is more expensive than gas, even though it is lower on the frac tower than gas.

yermom
1/30/2008, 05:57 PM
i keep thinking about getting an old Benz and converting it to run vegetable oil

i just know that i'll do that and it will have taken off by then and you won't be able to get the stuff as easy

bluedogok
1/30/2008, 10:52 PM
The trucking and construction lobbyists fought the new diesels regs hard because they didn't want to have to update their existing vehicles for the new low-sulfur diesel like Europe has had for many years. Diesel cars have begun to outsell gas cars in Europe for the past few years. It isn't just cars, many of the smaller trucks (like the Toyota Hilux (http://www.toyota-europe.com/cars/new_cars/hilux/index.aspx)) are also sold with diesel motors.

As far as refining capacity, if there was a drastic shift to diesel passenger vehicles wouldn't the refineries switch the mix of products they make to make more diesel and less gasoline?

Whet
1/30/2008, 11:18 PM
The diesel you put into your tank to run your truck/car is the same fuel used, primarily in the east, as heating oil....

Diesel is composed of the longer chain hydrocarbons - don't require as much refining as gasoline.

As mentioned earlier, the European countries put diesels into passenger cars and SUVs. What is interesting, England ships the low mpg gasoline Land Rover to the US, but keeps their diesel powered Land Rovers in country.

SoonerInKCMO
1/31/2008, 12:42 AM
I'm a nit-picky goober... it's not so much that Diesel engines are more efficient than gasoline than it is Diesel fuel has a higher energy density than gasoline.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/31/2008, 09:30 AM
^^^^

I thought I said that, but you were more eloquent.

OUDoc
1/31/2008, 09:34 AM
I'm glad we didn't say a diesel automobile was more efficient than a gasoline-powered one. :rolleyes:

;)

Condescending Sooner
1/31/2008, 10:03 AM
The reason I don't like diesels is they have no pep. You could get killed pulling onto a freeway when it takes two miles to get up to 60 mph. Have they fixed that? If so, how?

OUDoc
1/31/2008, 10:20 AM
Most diesel engines are torque monsters, you shouldn't have any problem getting started. Maybe the older engines were low-output engines. :confused:

1stTimeCaller
1/31/2008, 10:22 AM
The reason I don't like diesels is they have no pep. You could get killed pulling onto a freeway when it takes two miles to get up to 60 mph. Have they fixed that? If so, how?

my Chevy with a Duramax diesel engine will blow your doors off. It will slam your butt in the seat when you get on it.

Mongo
1/31/2008, 10:23 AM
my truck is still faster

1stTimeCaller
1/31/2008, 10:26 AM
:rolleyes:

1stTimeCaller
1/31/2008, 10:32 AM
:D

Mongo
1/31/2008, 10:32 AM
just come to grips with it, especially now that i have upgrade my turbo

1stTimeCaller
1/31/2008, 10:34 AM
you put a bigger turbo on it? How much did that cost cause I've been wanting to do that for a while.

Mongo
1/31/2008, 10:35 AM
no, i didnt, but that is my next phase

1stTimeCaller
1/31/2008, 10:37 AM
I'm thinking about buying a junker truck to hail my trailer around with and making the red rocket a super speed demon.

Mongo
1/31/2008, 10:38 AM
you need a woman

yermom
1/31/2008, 10:38 AM
Most diesel engines are torque monsters, you shouldn't have any problem getting started. Maybe the older engines were low-output engines. :confused:

i think all of the cars anymore have turbos

seems like it was the Germans that were working on making them smaller and adding a supercharger as well

the VW TDIs had 100 hp and 177 ft-lbs of torque, and hit peak torque at 1800 rpms, so you'd feel it early

TheHumanAlphabet
1/31/2008, 12:14 PM

Did it all the time in Europe. Get on the autobahn with lots of pep that is...

Boarder
1/31/2008, 12:44 PM
What, you only ridden in a Dodge?

AggieTool
1/31/2008, 02:37 PM
Depends on what they're used fer.

bluedogok
1/31/2008, 10:49 PM
GM takings a 350 and slapping a throttle body and glow plugs on it in the late 70's does not qualify that as a diesel motor, those were just boat anchors. Most have a high pressure direct rail injection and the aforementioned turbos along with engine management that older motors never had.

Here are a couple of articles about automotive diesels.
The Detroit News Auto Insider - Forget hybrids, America; diesels will provide economy, performance (http://www.detnews.com/2005/insiders/0510/26/0auto-361111.htm)

The New York Times - European Carmakers Bet That the U.S. Is Ready for Diesel (http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/13/business/worldbusiness/13auto.html)

The Audi R10 has dominated ALMS and LeMans LMP1 racing since its introduction, Peugeot ran a diesel LMP1 car at last year's LeMans 24 before fielding a team for a full season this year. The Audis will be at the Sebring 12 hour in March and the Peugeot might be there as well.

Audi R10 TDI
http://www.audi.com/etc/medialib/cms4imp/audi2/emotion/motorsport/Galerien.Par.0214.Image.jpg (http://www.audi.com/audi/com/en2/experience/motorsport_events/Audi_R10_TDI.html)

Peugeot 908
http://www.automotoportal.com/media/images/vijesti/061002004.jpg (http://www.dieselforecast.com/ArticleDetails.php?articleID=336)