PDA

View Full Version : Good or Bad? (Cincy's Mauk may return)

mizzOUstu702
1/30/2008, 02:21 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3221134

I'm not too sure if this is a good thing or a bad thing, since we play them the second game of the 2008 season. On one hand, they may end up being a decent team and boosting our SOS (I hate thinking in BcS terms). On the other, it could be too much of a challenge for our new starters on D to overcome and it could be 2005 TCU all over again (yeah, I went there). Thoughts?

Collier11
1/30/2008, 02:25 PM
Bad, this guy had a great senior year...he completed 61% of his passes with 31tds and only 9 picks.

bstuff1979
1/30/2008, 03:14 PM
I'd argue that it's good. Maybe not in terms of the W-L record (though I think OU will win regardless, as it is a home game), but for the quality/progression of the team. Last season, the OU D didn't have any real tests up until texas (and one could argue that, other than the texas TE Finley, their O didn't really do all that much either). Aside from the Mizzou games, I think the D showed that they had grown either a little rusty or developed a false sense of confidence. That and some injuries. Point is, I'd rather see OU play against a quality offense early and possibly struggle. It's better than seeing something that looks great against a poor opponent. At least the former will/should improve the D as the season moves on.

sooner94
1/30/2008, 03:28 PM
I think it would be good. A strong OOC schedule is important. Washington is decent, so having a ranked Cincy team would be nice. I hope TCU improves as well. We could potentially have one of the toughest OOCs in the country next year.

I think we collapsed in pressure situations in a few games last year, so some¨damn tough¨ opponents early will make the 2008 Sooners more battle tested and focused.

And who knows how good the rest of the Big 12 will be next season? I don´t want the computer rankings to drag us down again.

And think about our future non-conference games- Ohio St, FSU, ND, LSU. I like how we are beefing up the OOCs.

bstuff1979
1/30/2008, 05:42 PM
I think it would be good. A strong OOC schedule is important. Washington is decent, so having a ranked Cincy team would be nice. I hope TCU improves as well. We could potentially have one of the toughest OOCs in the country next year.

I think we collapsed in pressure situations in a few games last year, so some¨damn tough¨ opponents early will make the 2008 Sooners more battle tested and focused.

And who knows how good the rest of the Big 12 will be next season? I don´t want the computer rankings to drag us down again.

And think about our future non-conference games- Ohio St, FSU, ND, LSU. I like how we are beefing up the OOCs.

Actually, I think the future games against notre dame and FSU might hurt the strength of schedule.

Sooner98
1/30/2008, 06:16 PM
Definitely a good thing. A stronger schedule = good for OU. Besides, if we can't beat Cincinnati at home, then we don't deserve to be playing for any championships anyway.

Collier11
1/30/2008, 06:24 PM
Good for our Rep nationwide, bad for the fact that Cincy is a legit team like TCU was when they came to town so we better be ready!

insuranceman_22
1/30/2008, 06:24 PM
Good thing - We need a good opp., so they can move the ball some and score, Cincy won't be able to stop us! Home game early with a ranked team, Norman will be rocking and the Sooners will be rolling!

goingoneight
1/30/2008, 11:11 PM
Sounds like a good kid who just wants another year. And SOS is crucial this coming season. There is going to be some major SEC and SUC love. Remember what happens when someone really wants a certain team in the title game? Hint: they had two losses to unranked teams, one of which was on their home field, and they played the "tough conference" card to get there.

hybridworks
1/31/2008, 01:57 AM
Actually, I think the future games against notre dame and FSU might hurt the strength of schedule.

Notre Dame would never hurt regardless of their record... ND is the standard in CFB to the pollsters... Good for us...

Florida State, I think, will have a quick turn around a be a much more competetive by the time OUr boys see them on the field.

OU_Sooners75
1/31/2008, 07:25 AM
Who cares if he comes back.

But in all fairness. Since John Williams got another year, the NCAA should grant Mauk another year.

But I will say this. If he is granted a 6th year. It will make it look good for OU since Cincy may end up winning the Big East next year.

OU_Sooners75
1/31/2008, 07:30 AM
Bad, this guy had a great senior year...he completed 61% of his passes with 31tds and only 9 picks.

Against teams like:

Southeast Missouri State
Marshall
Miami (OH)
San Diego State
Southern Miss
Syracuse
UConn
Pitt
Louisville
Oregon State
South Florida
Rutgers, and
WVU

Not exactly the best competition.

With or without Mauk, OU will be fine.

Salt City Sooner
1/31/2008, 02:09 PM
I see 6 bowl teams on there, including one who handed us our arse. I've seen a whole lot of scheddys that were worse.

OU_Sooners75
1/31/2008, 02:14 PM
I see 6 bowl teams on there, including one who handed us our arse. I've seen a whole lot of scheddys that were worse.

And it is also filled with cupcakes.
SEMSU???

Seriously that must have been a challenge.

Collier11
1/31/2008, 02:22 PM
And it is also filled with cupcakes.
SEMSU???

Seriously that must have been a challenge.

Look at who pat white and noel devine played against, they sure lit us up regardless :rolleyes:

western mich
marshall
maryland
ecu
s fla
syracuse
miss st
rutgers
louisville
uconn
cincy

WOW!

Flagstaffsooner
2/1/2008, 05:37 PM
I don't know what they are like now, but about 10 years ago when they were D-IAA they came to Flagstaff to play NAU in the playoffs. They were thugs both on and off the field. Kinda Miami North.