PDA

View Full Version : Pizza tracker

OUDoc
1/30/2008, 01:46 PM
Boarder will just love this.

After ordering pizza for the gang on Super Bowl Sunday, many folks will be able to go online and track the progress of their pies.

Domino's, the pizza-delivery kingpin, today will unveil a technology, Pizza Tracker, that lets customers literally track their pizza from the moment they place the order until it leaves the store en route to them. What's more, Domino's vows that its online tracking system � for phone or online orders � is accurate to within 40 seconds.

"We're filling that black box of uncertainty � 'Has my pizza been forgotten?' � with information and entertainment," says Chris McGlothlin, technology chief at Domino's.

The system goes up Wednesday at 3,400 Domino's outlets and will be in all stores by June 30, he says. It even gives folks the first names of the workers who take their phone order and deliver their pizza � and asks customers to rate them.

Any customer comments about inappropriate behavior by order takers or delivery staff will be investigated, spokesman Tim McIntyre says.

In a nation ever eager to track delivery of everything from FedEx packages to Amazon.com orders, it's now come down to tonight's pizza. The move by Domino's is aimed at its youthful target: consumers under age 30 who spend gobs of time online.

Sadly, there are probably a bunch of people who will be enamored of this, says Christopher Muller, director of the Center for Multi-Unit Restaurant Management at University of Central Florida. "I guess they'll sell a ton of pizzas to people with no social life who are sitting in front of computers."

But not everyone's so sure.

"It's technology in search of a problem," says Brian Kardon, chief strategy officer at Forrester Research, a technology researcher. "I don't know how many consumers are twisting and turning over the state of their delivery pizza."

Domino's says plenty are. "It's an emotional roller coaster when you order," McGlothlin says. "Customers wonder: Did they get my order? Are they taking care of me? Will it show up?"

With the new system, after an order is placed, the customer can go to dominos.com, click on the Pizza Tracker icon and follow the progress of the order. The site confirms that the order has been received, when the pizza is in the oven, when it's been boxed and when it's left the store.

Alas, a key part of the pizza's journey cannot be pinpointed: the drive from Domino's to your home. But Domino's can tell folks when their pizza left the store, and officials say it should arrive within nine minutes of that time.

Rival Pizza Hut is unimpressed.

PizzaHut.com already provides an estimated time when customers will receive their orders, says Bob Kraut, vice president of marketing.

http://www.usatoday.com/printedition/money/20080130/pizza_tracking.art.htm

King Crimson
1/30/2008, 02:15 PM
Domino's says plenty are. "It's an emotional roller coaster when you order," McGlothlin says. "Customers wonder: Did they get my order? Are they taking care of me? Do I have time to go for more beer?"]

FTFY, Domino's.

Hot Rod
1/30/2008, 02:21 PM
How in the world does Dominoes capitalize on a technology that we could use in other areas?

walkoffsooner
1/30/2008, 02:21 PM
Being a Doc and all with access to X-ray you could track it post delivery

OKC-SLC
1/30/2008, 02:26 PM
Doc, I'm waiting to integrate capsule endoscopy with this Domino's pizza tracking technology. Talk about RVUs.

OUDoc
1/30/2008, 02:28 PM
It would make a great 9th grade science film.

IB4OU2
1/30/2008, 02:39 PM
Is there a bar code on the crust or something?

HskrGrl
1/30/2008, 02:45 PM
The dominos that we order from already does this and has been for a couple months now. It really does tell you exact times and names. Like it will say "Tom put your pizza in the oven at 8:32pm". And believe it or not the pizza really does arrive really fast after it says it's left for delivery. My 7 year old likes to check the pizza tracker after we've ordered a pizza. It keeps him from asking every 3 seconds "When is the pizza going to be here. I'm huuuuuuuuungry!!"

The pizza tracker could still use some improvement, though. I mean it tells you that "Tom put your pizza in the oven at 8:32pm" but it still fails to tell you that tom took a dump in the bathroom and failed to wash his hands before making your pizza.

SleestakSooner
1/30/2008, 02:45 PM
If they used my company's tracking devices in the delivery cars they could literally track them right to your door.

Hmmm, note to self: call Dumbino's and sell them ONE MILLION GPS Tracking systems PRONTO!

sanantoniosooner
1/30/2008, 02:47 PM
The dominos that we order from already does this and has been for a couple months now. It really does tell you exact times and names. Like it will say "Tom put your pizza in the oven at 8:32pm". And believe it or not the pizza really does arrive really fast after it says it's left for delivery. My 7 year old likes to check the pizza tracker after we've ordered a pizza. It keeps him from asking every 3 seconds "When is the pizza going to be here. I'm huuuuuuuuungry!!"

The pizza tracker could still use some improvement, though. I mean it tells you that "Tom put your pizza in the oven at 8:32pm" but it still fails to tell you that tom took a dump in the bathroom and failed to wash his hands before making your pizza.
I wonder if the tracker was still on when I was puking leftovers the other day.

"sas vomited remaining slices into the commode at 6:37pm."

HskrGrl
1/30/2008, 03:22 PM
So what you're saying is they need to provide a pizza digestion (or lack there of) tracker for those of us who order the pizza and for Dominos to watch?

NormanPride
1/30/2008, 04:50 PM
Your pizza was ingested two (2) minutes ago. Six (6) past-date pepperonis were placed on your pizza. They are currently making their way through your small intestine at an alarming rate. Estimated exit: 45 seconds.

Thanks, Domino's!

soonerinabilene
1/30/2008, 05:04 PM
Hopefully its better than UPS's tracking service.

Mjcpr
1/30/2008, 05:06 PM
Hopefully its better than the USPS's tracking service.

Word.

soonerinabilene
1/30/2008, 05:08 PM
I hope dean realizes you fixed my post. I like posting here.

IB4OU2
1/30/2008, 05:14 PM
Word.

Should we send our mail in Domino's pizza boxes? :D

Harry Beanbag
1/30/2008, 05:17 PM
Sounds neat. Would be better if you didn't have to eat Domino's tomato paste flavored cardboard to see it though.

SeattleOUstudent
1/30/2008, 05:58 PM
So dominos can throw down a couple mil and track a pizza, but UPS cant find my package?

Awesome!

Mjcpr
1/30/2008, 06:02 PM
So dominos can throw down a couple mil and track a pizza, but UPS cant find my package?

Awesome!

I'm not sure Mongo could even find your package and he's got a nose for them like you would not believe.

Mongo
1/30/2008, 06:08 PM
I'm not sure Mongo could even find your package and he's got a nose for them like you would not believe.

they called me "The Bloodhound" back in high school

Viking Kitten
1/30/2008, 06:30 PM
"We're filling that black box of uncertainty 'Has my pizza been forgotten?' with information and entertainment," says Chris McGlothlin, technology chief at Domino's.

Thank God for Domino's. Thank God. That black box of uncertainty has nearly destroyed my life. I can't tell you how many times I've sat in a darkened room, softly weeping, waiting on a pizza I'm unsure will ever come.

Harry Beanbag
1/30/2008, 07:00 PM
Black Box rules.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I2sjAnu_5ek

OKC-SLC
1/30/2008, 10:11 PM
[/I]

Thank God for Domino's. Thank God. That black box of uncertainty has nearly destroyed my life. I can't tell you how many times I've sat in a darkened room, softly weeping, waiting on a pizza I'm unsure will ever come.
As we bid adieu to this horror of horrors, this black box of uncertainty, I defy anyone to tell me we aren't winning the war on terror.

SoonerObsession
1/30/2008, 10:36 PM
I like how Pizza Hut says they are unimpressed because they give you an estimation of how long it will take already. I work part time for Pizza Hut as a delivery driver (sure wish teaching paid the bills) and the people who take orders have no earthly idea how long it's going to take. Ours say 45 minutes when we are getting them to the door in less than 20 minutes.

On a side note, thank you for tipping your delivery guy. The $2 delivery charge you pay does not all go to us. Most of it is used for insurance purposes. We get 90 cents a delivery whether it's around the corner or 10 miles away.