PDA

View Full Version : U Dub article

ELP Sooner
1/30/2008, 12:28 AM
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/victoryandruins/

I found this article very disturbing. What are your thoughts? Am I naive to think this is not the norm?

cvsooner
1/30/2008, 01:19 AM
No, you're not naive, but this is not the norm. Every program has its problems, legal and otherwise, particularly dealing with young men from difficult backgrounds who find college sports as a way to a paycheck they could only dream of, and boosters and others who put the joy and pride of winning above basic morality.

I know I should never say never, but...Stoops wouldn't tolerate this, ever. Probably wouldn't have recruited him in the first place.

Neuheisel ran one of the dirtiest programs in college sports history. Why UCLA hired him is beyond me. You think he's reformed? Sure...just like Jerry Tarkanian.

SteelClip49
1/30/2008, 01:21 AM
Yikes....despite all that, it should have been them against us in Miami for the title.

insuranceman_22
1/30/2008, 01:44 AM
So what this article says is that someone in the pac10 was immoral......guess suc has taken over the cheating realm out west and still nothing is being done. Seriously, that's a bad deal. Just another reason that Sooner fans can hold their heads high. We take care of things on the field, but if off-field problems do arise, Stoops and Co. do what's right. Be proud fellow Sooners, of the team and the way things are done in Norman.

KingDavid
1/30/2008, 02:07 AM
So what this article says is that someone in the pac10 was immoral......guess suc has taken over the cheating realm out west and still nothing is being done. Seriously, that's a bad deal. Just another reason that Sooner fans can hold their heads high. We take care of things on the field, but if off-field problems do arise, Stoops and Co. do what's right. Be proud fellow Sooners, of the team and the way things are done in Norman.

To be fair, let's also recall that we came to our present standards the way most folks do: the hard way. Let's not forget the 80's.

Hopefully these other programs will learn their lessons.

But UCLA making that hire is awefully puzzling. They want to win quickly, that's all, I guess. I say, be careful what you wish for . . .

OUstud
1/30/2008, 09:33 AM
Rick Neuheisel looks like a B-level movie director in that picture. Just sayin.

Grimey
1/30/2008, 02:14 PM
BOO!

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABPub/2008/01/16/2004128714.jpg

Man, what is Jerramy Stevens up to now? Hopefully in jail

Grimey
1/30/2008, 02:36 PM
I better not say that. I don't want Jerramy hunting me down and kicking my ***.

Man, that woman looks like she should be in that movie Total Recall

soonergooner
1/30/2008, 04:48 PM
I was reading the comments and ran across this:
(I hope it's sarcasm...)

Brennan from Austin. You are so right. I am a UNC fan. Mack Brown coached at Carolina before going to Texas. He delivered 3 consective 10 win seasons at a "basketball" school and he did it while reflecting and reinforcing the integrity of the institution and his personal values. The fans were sick when Texas hired him away but he would have been nuts not to take the job. Glad to see he is continuing to teach athletes that they have responsibilities to the school and to society, while also continuing to field a top ranked team on a consistent basis. It can be done. There is no reason to behave like the UW athletic department, the boosters, and local law enforcement behaved in these examples. The best that can be achieved is some short term success followed by massive turnover and rebuilding when the excrement hits the air conveyance device.

UW boosters and fans, this is your wakeup call. Lay off Ty. Give him his five years. If he cannot win enough games to satisfy you, then send him off with respect. No need to continue to embarrass yourselves with headhunting emails or bounties on his head. You brought him into a very difficult situation and he has refused to cut corners to "save his job." If he leaves his successor will inherit a much better base, and may actually have a chance to build a winning program. I don't think he can win big time but I think he was probably the right man for the job he was asked to do. Doesn't representing the University with impeccible integrity and teaching young men about adult responsibilities fit somewhere into his job description?

To those of you complaining that the Times is not publishing similar articles about OU or WSU, what's your point? It's ok because everybody is doing it? It's what a school has to do to win? Do you think the Times just has it in for the UW? Not credible. Try again.
Mon, Jan 28, 2008 12:24 pm

insuranceman_22
1/30/2008, 06:26 PM
To be fair, let's also recall that we came to our present standards the way most folks do: the hard way. Let's not forget the 80's.

Hopefully these other programs will learn their lessons.

But UCLA making that hire is awefully puzzling. They want to win quickly, that's all, I guess. I say, be careful what you wish for . . .

You're right King, but I was a die-hard Sooner fan then too. I remember the heat and now it needs to be directed at a few other programs.....I'm just afraid they may not get it!

snp
1/30/2008, 07:17 PM

Still recovering:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OGG0zWu_VIs

bluedogok
1/30/2008, 10:07 PM

He just spent his 6th season in the NFL with Tampa Bay, he was at Seattle until this season.

NFL.com - Jerramy Stevens (http://www.nfl.com/players/jerramystevens/profile?id=STE617245)

Grimey
1/31/2008, 01:37 PM
That blows. He should be somebody's Tight End in Prison