PDA

View Full Version : Check your policy now...

Okla-homey
1/29/2008, 11:05 PM
most homeowners and renters policies have exclusions for fiery metal balls of death filled with toxic chemicals from space. It might not be too late to buy a rider.:eek:

AF General: Spy satellite could hit US

By LOLITA C. BALDOR, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - The U.S. military is developing contingency plans to deal with the possibility that a large spy satellite expected to fall to Earth in late February or early March could hit North America.

Air Force Gen. Gene Renuart, who heads of U.S. Northern Command, told The Associated Press on Tuesday that the size of the satellite suggests that some number of pieces will not burn up as it re-enters the Earth's atmosphere and will hit the ground.

"We're aware that this satellite is out there," Renuart said. "We're aware it is a fairly substantial size. And we know there is at least some percentage that it could land on ground as opposed to in the water."

He added, "As it looks like it might re-enter into the North American area," then the U.S. military along with the Homeland Security Department and the Federal Emergency Management Agency will either have to deal with the impact or assist Canadian or Mexican authorities.

Military agencies, he said, are doing an analysis to determine which pieces would most likely survive re-entry. But he cautioned that officials won't have much detail on where or when it will crash until it begins to move through the atmosphere and break up.

Renuart added that there does not as yet appear to be much concern about sensitive technologies on the satellite falling into enemy hands.

"I'm not aware that we have a security issue," he said. "It's really just a big thing falling on the ground that we want to make sure we're prepared for."

The satellite includes some small engines that contain a toxic chemical called hydrazine* — which is rocket fuel. But Renuart said they are not large booster engines with substantial amounts of fuel.

*Hydrazine is highly toxic and dangerously unstable, especially in the anhydrous form. Symptoms of acute exposure to high levels of hydrazine in humans may include irritation of the eyes, nose, and throat, dizziness, headache, nausea, pulmonary edema, seizures, coma, and it can also damage the liver, kidneys, and central nervous system. The liquid is corrosive and may produce dermatitis from skin contact in humans and animals. Effects to the lungs, liver, spleen, and thyroid have been reported in animals chronically exposed to hydrazine via inhalation. Increased incidences of lung, nasal cavity, and liver tumors have been observed in rodents exposed to hydrazine.

royalfan5
1/29/2008, 11:09 PM
as long as it doesn't wake a long sleeping monster, and spur it to attack New York City.

Okla-homey
1/29/2008, 11:18 PM
as long as it doesn't wake a long sleeping monster, and spur it to attack New York City.

It will probably hit in some pasture in SE Oklahoma out near Olevet's shack. We'll get to see him on the news talking about how it sounded like a freight train and then he'll put hunks of it for sale on eBay.

VeeJay
1/29/2008, 11:29 PM
So if the smoldering remains slammed into your backyard, what would that do the properety values?

With the luck we've had trying to unload our Florida home, I think my house is a prime target.

"Beautiful 4/2 Pool Home on the Lake, Completely Remodeled with Space Junk Oozing Highly Toxic Hydrazine In The Backyard. By Appointment Only."

Frozen Sooner
1/29/2008, 11:32 PM
You know what the upshot is?

Someone will take an insurer to court for refusal to pay when their policy clearly stated that flaming balls of hydrazine were excluded. The jury will find that while the flaming ball of hydrazine wasn't covered, the fire that the flaming ball of hydrazine touched off was covered, and that the flaming ball of hydrazine itself only caused $1 worth of damage.

The insurance company will be ordered to pay policy limits plus a hefty chunk for dealing in bad faith.

The news will run several stories about how the evil insurance policy refused to pay for damage caused by a flaming ball of hydrazine.

Ike
1/29/2008, 11:41 PM
They could just ask the Chinese to shoot it down.

OUinFLA
1/29/2008, 11:47 PM
They could just ask the Chinese to shoot it down.

I dont think "down" is the problem.

Ike
1/30/2008, 12:11 AM
I dont think "down" is the problem.

The point is, if it's in smaller bits, they are less likely to make it to the ground.

SoonerObsession
1/30/2008, 01:05 AM
"That just a big ol' frozen chunk of poopy"

olevetonahill
1/30/2008, 02:09 AM
It will probably hit in some pasture in SE Oklahoma out near Olevet's shack. We'll get to see him on the news talking about how it sounded like a freight train and then he'll put hunks of it for sale on eBay.
Yea I did , Ethel get yer clothes On :eek:
Shat Maybe It will make me some Natural Hot springs things and then I can develope My resort ?
At the very least In might get me some Natty lite .

Widescreen
1/30/2008, 11:50 AM
Symptoms of acute exposure to high levels of hydrazine in humans may include irritation of the eyes, nose, and throat, dizziness, headache, nausea, pulmonary edema, seizures, coma, and it can also damage the liver, kidneys, and central nervous system.
Sounds a lot like what you get from visiting bikerfox.com

colleyvillesooner
1/30/2008, 11:52 AM

heh

JohnnyMack
1/30/2008, 11:56 AM

:mack:IT WAS PANDELEREUM!!!!!!!!

colleyvillesooner
1/30/2008, 12:06 PM
I like this better, the "Earth is 75% water, so we're pretty sure it will be fine" angle.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2008-01/29/content_7515186.htm

JohnnyMack
1/30/2008, 12:07 PM
now they're going with the "Earth is 75% water, so we're pretty sure it will be fine" angle.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2008-01/29/content_7515186.htm

Where the hell did you find that link and why do you hate America?

colleyvillesooner
1/30/2008, 12:12 PM
Just googled spy satellite and it was one of the first "news" links.

The first one was weirder and had pictures of "Armageddon" :D

OUDoc
1/30/2008, 12:26 PM
Wouldn't you think rocket fuel would be the first thing to burn up on re-entry?
Or, how about they go ahead and vent the sh!t into space.
Or, don't ALL spy things have a self-destruct mode?
Or...

soonerinabilene
1/30/2008, 12:33 PM
Do we not still have Patriot missiles?

frankensooner
1/30/2008, 12:41 PM
She was walking all alone
Down the street in the alley
Her name was sally
She never saw it
When she was hit by space junk
In new york miami beach
Heavy metal fell in cuba
Angola saudi arabia
On xmas eve said norad
A soviet sputnik hit africa
India venezuela (in texas
Kansas)
Its falling fast peru too
It keeps coming
And now Im mad about space junk
Im all burned out about space junk
Oooh walk & talk about space junk
It smashed my babys head
And now my sallys dead

colleyvillesooner
1/30/2008, 12:43 PM
Do we not still have Patriot missiles?

Oh, we do. We just want to actually hit this thing.

Ike
1/30/2008, 12:44 PM

Like I said earlier...we should call the Chinese....they've already shown they can hit satellites.

IB4OU2
1/30/2008, 01:41 PM

We can..... no comment.

SoonerObsession
1/30/2008, 10:24 PM
We could use that Spies Like Us laser and take care of that bad boy.

bluedogok
1/30/2008, 10:30 PM
Where's the shark with a frickin' laser on his head when you need one....

GottaHavePride
1/31/2008, 12:52 AM
We could use that Spies Like Us laser and take care of that bad boy.

I prefer the Real Genius laser, that can heat a ridiculously large Jiffy Pop yet leave the house surrounding said Jiffy Pop unscathed. :D

SoonerTerry
1/31/2008, 12:56 AM

Look, it has peanutz

Jerk
1/31/2008, 07:22 AM
Like I said earlier...we should call the Chinese....they've already shown they can hit satellites.

We can, too. Why would we ask them?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/2/24/ASAT_missile_launch.jpg/453px-ASAT_missile_launch.jpg