PDA

View Full Version : Alonzo Spellman

Mjcpr
1/29/2008, 07:29 PM
Remember him? Played for Ohio State then Chicago and later, Dallas. Until he got the bipolar and wound up naked somewhere and in trouble here and there. I guess he's in Tulsa now....yay!

Former NFL Star Alonzo Spellman Arrested In Tulsa

Tulsa Police arrested former NFL player Alonzo Spellman Tuesday afternoon. Police were called to a convenience store at 11th and Utica at 12:23 p.m. Tuesday. Witnesses say Spellman was agitated and when police arrived, Spellman got into a vehicle and left the scene. He took police on a short chase with top speeds reaching only 55 miles per hour.

Tulsa Police used stop sticks, which took out three tires and Spellman stopped, however, he refused to get out of his car for about 20 minutes. Officers shot pepper balls into the car and Spellman was taken into custody.

Tulsa Police tell the News On 6, they expect to book him on traffic violations as well as a complaint of assault with a deadly weapon.

Officers say Spellman tried to run a squad car off the road.

This is the second time in two days; Spellman has had contact with Tulsa Police. Police reports show on Monday at 8:15 p.m., Tulsa Police were called to a convenience store at 2300 West Edison, where Spellman was also acting strangely. However, police say Spellman committed no crime and a relative arrived, calmed him down and took him home.

Spellman lives in Tulsa and has long struggled with a bi-polar disorder.
Spellman played for Ohio State, and then was a first round pick in the 1992 NFL draft for the Chicago Bears. His erratic behavior ended his career; he had a standoff with Chicago Police and faced a weapons charge in Michigan before being picked up by the Dallas Cowboys.

In 2002, he became belligerent on a Delta airlines flight. He later pleaded guilty and was sentenced to 18 months in federal prison. Spellman was signed to an Arena Football League team for one season in 2006.

http://www.newson6.com/global/story.asp?s=7791756

yermom
1/29/2008, 07:39 PM
... faced a weapons charge in Michigan before being picked up by the Dallas Cowboys. ...

this just makes me laugh

Boomer.....
1/30/2008, 08:30 AM
Tulsa > OKC

:D

sooner n houston
1/30/2008, 08:35 AM
Quite sad really. I know too many people with related disorders. Makes life tough for these people.

Sooner_Bob
1/30/2008, 08:35 AM
Was the image they showed last night on the news his mugshot?

http://www.dailyherald.com/images/stories/41/41107.jpg

Chuck Bao
1/30/2008, 08:44 AM
He looks kinda mellow there. Does he have like clothes on?

OklahomaTuba
1/30/2008, 09:53 AM
Him and BikerFox are out fighting crime I hear.

soonerbrat
1/30/2008, 09:57 AM
pepper balls. that just makes me giggle

OU4LIFE
1/30/2008, 10:02 AM
mmmm pepper balls. I think that's part of the Schwetty line.

Chuck Bao
1/30/2008, 10:04 AM
salty balls pepper balls. Why you jiggling?

StoopTroup
1/30/2008, 10:09 AM
Hope he gets some help.

Sounds like he's struggling.

crawfish
1/30/2008, 10:12 AM
pepper balls. that just makes me sneeze.

:texan:

Taxman71
1/30/2008, 11:07 AM
The news showed him getting arrested without a shirt on. I would hate to arrest him by myself, dude is crazy huge.

Scott D
1/30/2008, 02:05 PM
They really sugarcoated his problems in that article.

From back in 2002. Has it really been 5+ years since his last major hearing from?

Former NFL defensive lineman Alonzo Spellman was arrested late Tuesday night on charges of ransacking his brother's house, breaking windows and smashing pictures.

The arrest in his hometown is the latest in a string of legal and personal problems for the former Ohio State star. He was released in October by the Detroit Lions, apparently ending an NFL career that began in 1992 with the Chicago Bears, who made him their first-round draft choice that year.

Spellman was in Mount Holly after failing to appear in court Tuesday in Dearborn, Mich., after being arrested July 16 on charges of drunken driving, driving with a suspended license and destroying property.

On July 19, he was spotted wandering through traffic in Farmington Hills, Mich., dragging luggage behind him and saying he wanted to go to Las Vegas. He got a ride from there to downtown Detroit on Friday, where he was seen boarding a Greyhound bus.

Philadelphia police said he had an argument aboard a Detroit-to-Philadelphia flight that day. He has not been charged in that case.

Spellman played at Ohio State and in Chicago for six seasons before taking a year off to seek treatment for bipolar disorder.

He returned to play two seasons for the Dallas Cowboys and part of last year with Detroit.

On Tuesday night, authorities said, Spellman went to the home of his brother John and tore the screen door off its hinges, beginning a 15-minute rampage. The brother was not home at the time.

Three people in the house were not injured. Police were called and found Spellman sitting on a curb outside screaming.

Spellman was charged with making terrorist threats, criminal mischief and hindering apprehension.

Police said he was taken to the psychiatric ward at Lourdes Health System-Rancocas Hospital in Willingboro. A hospital spokeswoman said confidentiality guidelines prevented her from confirming whether Spellman was there.

In March 1998, Spellman was treated in the psychiatric unit of a Chicago hospital after an eight-hour standoff with police. Two months later, he scuffled with security workers at a Detroit hotel while he was trying to break up a fight between two women accompanying him.

SOONER STEAKER
1/30/2008, 02:12 PM
Very sad state of affairs for Spellman. I bet the NFL isn't helping his lost child get the help he so dearly needs. Another Byron Houston?

OU4LIFE
1/30/2008, 02:18 PM
dude, Byron is just a pervert. At least Spellman actually has a disorder.

Collier11
1/30/2008, 02:21 PM
dude, Byron is just a pervert. At least Spellman actually has a disorder.

Byron has been proven to have extreme cases of mental distress and disorder, not really fair to label him

OU4LIFE
1/30/2008, 03:08 PM
too late.

well... I guess I could edit it...oh wait, he's an aggie.

label applied.

Rhino
1/30/2008, 05:09 PM
http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/5715/alonzogb8.jpg