PDA

View Full Version : OU-Texas at THIS stadium...

The Maestro
1/29/2008, 02:58 PM
...won't suck!

http://stadium.dallascowboys.com/

Collier11
1/29/2008, 03:01 PM
too bad it probably wont happen

bluedogok
1/29/2008, 03:16 PM
It wouldn't suprise if the game is moved there after the current contract with the Cotton Bowl is and the Sevens Mayors of the City of Dallas has stumbled over themselves screwing over the Cotton Bowl remodel project to the point that everyone gets fed up dealing with them. Jerry WILL be there with the money and the facility.

Civicus_Sooner
1/29/2008, 04:09 PM
It's a nice facility to be sure but I would hate to go way out there for the game. If it wasn't at the fair, I'd rather see it go home and home. It's all about tradition for me. Besides, doesn't it have less seats than the cotton bowl?

Collier11
1/29/2008, 04:12 PM
It's a nice facility to be sure but I would hate to go way out there for the game. If it wasn't at the fair, I'd rather see it go home and home. It's all about tradition for me. Besides, doesn't it have less seats than the cotton bowl?

Tradition is a made up word for the unwillingness to evolve...sure Id like to see the game stay at the fair but I would rather keep it in Dallas especially if it was at a nicer stadium, thats the only tradition I care about. I think a home and home would suck, I look forward to my Dallas trip every year

TheUnnamedSooner
1/29/2008, 04:14 PM
I think the new stadium will hold over 100,000 people.

yermom
1/29/2008, 04:16 PM
i'd rather see it at the fair, but staying in the Dallas area is WAY more important

Civicus_Sooner
1/29/2008, 04:18 PM
Tradition is a made up word for the unwillingness to evolve...sure Id like to see the game stay at the fair but I would rather keep it in Dallas especially if it was at a nicer stadium, thats the only tradition I care about. I think a home and home would suck, I look forward to my Dallas trip every yearBut that stadium isn't in Dallas, right? It's way out by the racetrack, I thought. Not much going on out there.

If they can't keep it at the fair then screw it.

FroggyStyle22
1/29/2008, 04:24 PM
But that stadium isn't in Dallas, right? It's way out by the racetrack, I thought. Not much going on out there.

The stadium is in Arlington by the Ballpark.

Collier11
1/29/2008, 04:24 PM
Arlington I believe which isnt a big deal to me

bluedogok
1/29/2008, 04:26 PM
It in in Arlington next door to Six Flags and The Ballpark. Plenty of other things in the area, not the fair but it is not out in the middle of a field. A much better location than the current Texas Stadium would be. Everyone stays all over the Metroplex anyway and travels out to the lovely area that is Fair Park, so I don't see much of a difference between it being there or in Arlington. Access may even be better out in Arlington instead of Fair Park. The game needs to stay in the DFW area, whether it is at the Cotton Bowl or Jerry World.

I just trust the City of Dallas gov't to screw it up like they did when it came time put put the new Cowboys stadium where the Cotton Bowl is now instead of in Arlington.

colleyvillesooner
1/29/2008, 04:26 PM
But that stadium isn't in Dallas, right? It's way out by the racetrack, I thought. Not much going on out there.

The new stadium is 21 miles from the Cotton Bowl.

This game moving to Arlington would be big for the City of Fort Worth and all their hotels as well.

I hope it stays at the fair. Can't see any way it would be spilt 50/50 with all the tickets guaranteed to Cowboys season ticket holders. (Especially with those insane ownership fees and guaranteed first dibs on ticket s to ALL events hosted by the stadium)

Civicus_Sooner
1/29/2008, 04:29 PM
Well, Arlington isn't that bad but if we lose the fair, it just won't be the same. I've been going down for that game since 1979 and I just can't imagine going out to Arlington to sit in the damn Cowboy's stadium to watch the game. Shoot, I'd rather get beat with a frying pan than pad Jerry Jones pockets.

bluedogok
1/29/2008, 04:33 PM
Can't see any way it would be spilt 50/50 with all the tickets guaranteed to Cowboys season ticket holders. (Especially with those insane ownership fees and guaranteed first dibs on ticket s to ALL events hosted by the stadium)
I would think the Castiglione, Dodds and JJ would think of some way to make it work, even if that one event is excluded from the Cowboys season ticket holder agreement. If he wants it done, he will figure out a way to do it.

Straz1999
1/29/2008, 04:37 PM
The cotton bowl is such a dump right now,but I really hope that the "supposed" $50M facelift for it does go through. The state fair makes up part of the reason to go to Dallas. A home and home would cheapen this rivalry dramatically.

Civicus_Sooner
1/29/2008, 04:39 PM
The cotton bowl is such a dump right now,but I really hope that the "supposed" $50M facelift for it does go through. The state fair makes up part of the reason to go to Dallas. A home and home would cheapen this rivalry dramatically.So would going to Jerry's world. Can you imagine all of the club level/luxury suits going to Dallas ticket holders? This would have to be a non strarter for OU.

illinisooner
1/29/2008, 05:29 PM
Even if the game moves to Arlington and Cowboys season tix holders don't get seats, the atmosphere will be significantly affected with all of the luxury boxes and the sheer size of the stadium. The Cotton Bowl works great, and there do need to be some upgrades, but the atmosphere and tradition wouldn't be the same if it wasn't at the fair.

BigRedJed
1/29/2008, 05:54 PM
Guys, I'm not one of the Joe C. haters on this site (I never really understand them), but Joe and Dodds will be motivated primarily by one thing: money. If they get a large enough cut of Cowboys ticket holders' purchase price and a 50/50 split of the remaining tickets (considering a 100,000 capacity), they'll take it, tradition be damned. That means you can kiss a 50/50 split goodbye. Horn fans will far outnumber Sooner fans at that game.

Factor in losing the fair atmosphere and I am O.U.T. on moving to Jerryland.

colleyvillesooner
1/29/2008, 06:00 PM
ditto

auto
1/29/2008, 06:13 PM

Exactly. I am don with it, if they move it to New Mexico. Just not the same. Arlington sucks. Bumper to Bumper on I-30 is not something I would relish:(

Collier11
1/29/2008, 06:17 PM
Exactly. I am don with it, if they move it to New Mexico. Just not the same. Arlington sucks. Bumper to Bumper on I-30 is not something I would relish:(

as opposed to bumper to bumper goin to the cotton bowl?

MamaMia
1/29/2008, 06:36 PM
Quite frankly, I have no desire to share some fancy stadium with all of Jerry's friends sitting between the 35's while a bunch Texans graze up in the suites sipping mixed drinks. Thats just not what the OU/Texas game is about.

UTgolfer
1/29/2008, 07:13 PM
Much prefer to keep the game at the State Fair.

Several posters brought up the issue of something other than a 50/50 split if the game is moved to Jerryworld. My understanding of the ticket license is that it is basically the same as the one at Texas Stadium...except for the price of the ticket license. Did the owners of these get seats when the Big 12 Championship game was played there?

FYI...Jerryworld will have a seating capacity of 80,000 and be able to hold up to 100,000 via standing room only and temporary seats in the endzones.

BigRedJed
1/29/2008, 07:41 PM
It's not even close to bumper to bumper the way I do it. And I'm not giving ANY of you hillibillies my secret route. That's why it's called a "secret."

BigRedJed
1/29/2008, 07:47 PM
Much prefer to keep the game at the State Fair.

Several posters brought up the issue of something other than a 50/50 split if the game is moved to Jerryworld. My understanding of the ticket license is that it is basically the same as the one at Texas Stadium...except for the price of the ticket license. Did the owners of these get seats when the Big 12 Championship game was played there?

FYI...Jerryworld will have a seating capacity of 80,000 and be able to hold up to 100,000 via standing room only and temporary seats in the endzones.
I guarantee you it would have the 100,000 capacity full in force for OU/UT.

And while I can't speak to the way it happened at Texas Stadium, when the Big 12 has been at Arrowhead and Reliant, plus any bowl game I've been to, the NFL season ticket holders get first right of refusal on their seat. I guarantee you Jerry would insist on doing the same for Cowboys fans, especially when they have spent as much as they will have for that license. There would be a Texas-sized revolt among Cowboys fans if they were blacked out for OU/Texas.

As soon as Cowboys fans get first shot, Sooner fans can kiss that half-and-half field goodbye. Advantage: whorns.

BigRedJed
1/29/2008, 07:48 PM
Not only would Jerry insist on it, it's probably in the verbiage of their seat license agreement.

illinisooner
1/29/2008, 07:49 PM
It's not even close to bumper to bumper the way I do it. And I'm not giving ANY of you hillibillies my secret route. That's why it's called a "secret."

Would it happen to be the route the team buses take? I took that last year and bypassed most of the traffic; got there in about 30 minutes from the 75/635 exit a few hours before the game.

BigRedJed
1/29/2008, 07:50 PM
I've got no idea.

auto
1/29/2008, 11:21 PM

DART???????.

Plus I am just a hop skip and jump from the Cotton Bowl. Bars, restaurants, nightlife, something other than Chili's and Pappedeuax's which reside in Arlington. Can't compare Arlington anyway, shape or form to Dallas or the State Fair.

More_Cowbell
1/29/2008, 11:29 PM
The pigs and aggies are getting 5 mil apiece to play at JerryWorld. (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/colleges/topstories/stories/122407dnspoamarkansas.2cc4454.html)

jwlynn64
1/30/2008, 12:45 AM

Which, by the way, is on 30! ;)

AlabamaSooner
1/30/2008, 01:53 AM
Give me the Cotton Bowl and the State Fair EVERYTIME. Nothing like it. Big and shiny doesn't always mean better. Don't sell out!

KingDavid
1/30/2008, 01:58 AM
Jerry will have to swing a deal to get the State Fair corn dogs at the new venue, if he wants my vote . . .

KantoSooner
1/30/2008, 02:30 AM
I'm all for tradition, but the last time I was at the cotton bowl it was an abject toilet. and though that was twenty years ago, my understanding is that little other than letting the rain wash away the biggest chunks of debris has happened in the way of maintenance since then.
something needs to be done or Jerryworld is probably the smart option.

Big Red Ron
1/30/2008, 02:55 AM
Guys, I'm not one of the Joe C. haters on this site (I never really understand them), but Joe and Dodds will be motivated primarily by one thing: money. If they get a large enough cut of Cowboys ticket holders' purchase price and a 50/50 split of the remaining tickets (considering a 100,000 capacity), they'll take it, tradition be damned. That means you can kiss a 50/50 split goodbye. Horn fans will far outnumber Sooner fans at that game.

Factor in losing the fair atmosphere and I am O.U.T. on moving to Jerryland.Me too

Big Red Ron
1/30/2008, 02:59 AM
I'm all for tradition, but the last time I was at the cotton bowl it was an abject toilet. and though that was twenty years ago, my understanding is that little other than letting the rain wash away the biggest chunks of debris has happened in the way of maintenance since then.
something needs to be done or Jerryworld is probably the smart option.Nah it was way better last year than the years before and they haven't really done much with the approved 60 mill in updates.

KingDavid
1/30/2008, 03:12 AM
Nah it was way better last year than the years before and they haven't really done much with the approved 60 mill in updates.

I dunno. Maybe better, but not WAY better.

KingDavid
1/30/2008, 03:17 AM
Me too

Agreed. I think Joe C won't let the dollars push him into a deal that gives the Horns any more of an edge on the home crowd than whatever number of seats we're already giving up by having the tunnel on our side.

Speaking of which, part of the deal MUST include Jerry giving us key strike points from which to pour beer, hack loogies, and hurl ungodly and shameful insults at the longhorns while they're waiting to take the field.

If you're going to talk tradition, let's start right there at the tunnel.

MamaMia
1/30/2008, 09:33 AM
Jerry will have to swing a deal to get the State Fair corn dogs at the new venue, if he wants my vote . . . A Fletcher's corn dog and a cold Bud; the breakfast of champions. :D

sooner94
1/30/2008, 03:35 PM

I agree 100%. Cotton Bowl or home and home.

I still canīt believe Dallas politicians let the Cowboys get away.

TopDawg
1/30/2008, 03:45 PM
OU-Texas at THIS stadium won't suck!

http://stadium.dallascowboys.com/

Maybe not, but Dallas Cowboy football still will.

colleyvillesooner
1/30/2008, 03:45 PM
:mad:

lithium
1/30/2008, 03:58 PM
I take nice stadium over bad indian tacos and freak shows. Hell with texas fair. How can you not like to seat your *** in this beauty?

auto
1/30/2008, 06:06 PM
I agree 100%. Cotton Bowl or home and home.

I still canīt believe Dallas politicians let the Cowboys get away.

Dallas politicians??? You want to publicly finance a billionaires stadium? Ohhhh, look at your location, you wouldn't be paying, I also noticed Plano didn't make a pitch.:D

TexasLidig8r
1/30/2008, 06:18 PM
I take nice stadium over bad indian tacos and freak shows. Hell with texas fair. How can you not like to seat your *** in this beauty?

Because anyone who has been to many Texas - OU games know it is about the history and tradition.. it's about the cramped seating.. (and... no one sits down at the game anyway!)... it's about cold Fletchers and warm beer before the game... it's about the tunnel, and the seats split evenly.. it's about smack talking, it's the entire weekend, it's the cigar afterwards, it's knowing that your father.. and his father... went to the game.. it's about knowing that legends have come down that tunnel, and sweated and bled.. it's the atmosphere.. it's the difference between a 1964 Aston Martin vs. a 2008 Corvette.

You want comfort? Stay at home in your Lazyboy and watch it on a big screen. You want to sweat, get drunk, yell until your voice is gone and know that you are watching history.. go to the Red River game in the Cotton Bowl. It is quintessentially.... everything that is right with college football.. .and that is becoming a damned rare quality!

auto
1/30/2008, 06:23 PM
Because anyone who has been to many Texas - OU games know it is about the history and tradition.. it's about the cramped seating.. (and... no one sits down at the game anyway!)... it's about cold Fletchers and warm beer before the game... it's about the tunnel, and the seats split evenly.. it's about smack talking, it's the entire weekend, it's the cigar afterwards, it's knowing that your father.. and his father... went to the game.. it's about knowing that legends have come down that tunnel, and sweated and bled.. it's the atmosphere.. it's the difference between a 1964 Aston Martin vs. a 2008 Corvette.

You want comfort? Stay at home in your Lazyboy and watch it on a big screen. You want to sweat, get drunk, yell until your voice is gone and know that you are watching history.. go to the Red River game in the Cotton Bowl. It is quintessentially.... everything that is right with college football.. .and that is becoming a damned rare quality!

Damn, I can't believe I actually 100% agree with the burnt orange poster:eek:

Collier11
1/30/2008, 06:26 PM

You want comfort? Stay at home in your Lazyboy and watch it on a big screen. You want to sweat, get drunk, yell until your voice is gone and know that you are watching history.. go to the Red River game in the Cotton Bowl. It is quintessentially.... everything that is right with college football, watching OU own ut year in and year out.. .and that is becoming a damned rare quality!

You are a smart man!! :D

TopDawg
1/30/2008, 06:29 PM
Cold Fletchers? Usually it's so busy when I get there, they're handing them to you right outta the fryer and you have to watch out for the scalding hot grease.

But, yeah...I'm with you on the rest. :D

madillsoonerfan5353
1/30/2008, 06:38 PM

What he said!

BigRedJed
1/30/2008, 07:02 PM
Cold Fletchers? Usually it's so busy when I get there, they're handing them to you right outta the fryer and you have to watch out for the scalding hot grease.

But, yeah...I'm with you on the rest. :D
That's because you're usually buying them before/after the game, and he's buying them in the late 3rd/early 4th quarter. They're apparently not as busy then.

AlabamaSooner
1/30/2008, 11:59 PM

Well said

birddog
1/31/2008, 12:15 AM
maybe we could find a way to move the game to taft stadium. that is a top notch facility.

if the game moves, it just becomes another "world's biggest cocktail party", or whatever the hell it's called.

it will no longer be about a weekend of fun for true fans of both schools. it will become a 3 hour event that ends with people loading up in their cars and heading home or to the fair, bars etc.

i'll be pizzed if the game is moved, and ive never even been to ou-texas weekend.

KantoSooner
1/31/2008, 12:54 AM
So why not just fix the toilet <Cotton> Bowl? At least so that the sewage pipes don't leak raw down the side of the stadium.
I will put up with a lot, but I've attended soccer games in SE Asia that are in nicer (and older) stadiums than that place.

setem
1/31/2008, 01:25 AM
Big XII Game in that thing would be bad as hell!

or

Some kind of non-conf big name game or even a huge conf game!

It would be cool if they moved a bowl in there or is the Cotton scheduled to move there? I am sure if the Cotton moved in there it will become part of the BCS.....playoff system?

snp
1/31/2008, 05:03 AM
I used to be a proponent of moving to the new Cowboys stadium but I made it to my first RRS this year and can't imagine any better atmosphere for a college football game.

Notre Dame is playing Washington State at the Alamodome this year and have a future opening after this stadium is finished. They love to recruit in Texas as do we so I'd love to setup a game with them at Jerry World.

I also wouldn't mind a game at Reliant some time. LSU is trying to get a game going with Houston in order to help them with recruiting in that area.

TexasLidig8r
1/31/2008, 09:28 AM
Big XII Game in that thing would be bad as hell!

or

Some kind of non-conf big name game or even a huge conf game!

It would be cool if they moved a bowl in there or is the Cotton scheduled to move there? I am sure if the Cotton moved in there it will become part of the BCS.....playoff system?

Cotton Bowl already announced it's moving to Whorey McWhore-whore's place as soon as it's open (2010 game). Jones and the Cotton Bowl people have been negotiating with the BCS people for quite some time.

BCS contract with the bowls are up after this next year and there is talk that the "new" Cotton Bowl will be included in the BCS line up.

colleyvillesooner
1/31/2008, 10:02 AM
Good. The big 12 needs to ask to be affiliated with that bowl instead of the Fiesta Bowl. Give a Big 12 team so home field advantage once in a while.

GrapevineSooner
1/31/2008, 10:05 AM

Cue Battle Hymn or some similar variant thereof in the background...

;)

Seamus
1/31/2008, 11:06 AM
That's because you're usually buying them before/after the game, and he's buying them in the late 3rd/early 4th quarter. They're apparently not as busy then.

Ohhh, SNAP! :texan:

colleyvillesooner
1/31/2008, 11:20 AM
http://static.flickr.com/46/131327718_577736f63f_o.gif

Jason White's Third Knee
1/31/2008, 11:45 AM
[img=http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/8e3ed45560.jpg] (http://www.freeimagehosting.net/)

Jason White's Third Knee
1/31/2008, 11:47 AM
http://img2.freeimagehosting.net/uploads/82d0193a46.jpg

Tough day.

EstablishedSooner1967
1/31/2008, 03:36 PM
My Mayer really F-ed things up in Dallas... this should have been built at fair park.

MextheBulldog
1/31/2008, 03:46 PM
All due respect to the great tradition of this matchup. But times change. Things evolve. This game absolutely deserves a top notch facility and environment. You can still have your corny dogs and warm beer along with associated overpriced fair rides. Just go on Friday. :)

Collier11
1/31/2008, 04:00 PM
If it moved to arlington, no one is going to quit going to the fair or to the west end...this game really does deserve better than the sh*t hole we have to sit in now

auto
1/31/2008, 04:06 PM
If it moved to arlington, no one is going to quit going to the fair or to the west end...this game really does deserve better than the sh*t hole we have to sit in now

Nope just going waste 2 hours of your time getting back.:D

Collier11
1/31/2008, 04:11 PM
Nope just going waste 2 hours of your time getting back.:D

atleast I wouldnt have to worry about getting shot or stabbed while walking to my car anymore :D

sooner94
1/31/2008, 05:09 PM
Dallas politicians??? You want to publicly finance a billionaires stadium? Ohhhh, look at your location, you wouldn't be paying, I also noticed Plano didn't make a pitch.:D

Yes, a significant portion would have been publicly financed, but the surrounding development would more than recoup this investment over time. Look at any other expensive stadiums around the country and how restuarants/bars/etc develop around them, thereby increasing the tax base, and sales tax revenues.

FWIW, I spend plenty of my $$ in Dallas County, as do many other residents in Collin County. I would have spent even more at Cowboy games if the mayor didnt F-up this deal.

Although, building the stadium in Plano would have been nice. Would cut down my game day commute significantly. Why didnīt you suggest that 2 years ago? :D

colleyvillesooner
1/31/2008, 05:11 PM
All due respect to the great tradition of this matchup. But times change. Things evolve. This game absolutely deserves a top notch facility and environment. You can still have your corny dogs and warm beer along with associated overpriced fair rides. Just go on Friday. :)

Like Big Red Jed said, if you want there to be a noticeable more amount of Texas fans than OU fans, by all means, support the move.

Collier11
1/31/2008, 05:16 PM
Like Big Red Jed said, if you want there to be a noticeable more amount of Texas fans than OU fans, by all means, support the move.

give me proof that this is true?

silverwheels
1/31/2008, 05:30 PM
I think I can deal with standing in a crappy stadium for 3.5 hours out of a whole year....

GrapevineSooner
1/31/2008, 05:39 PM
http://static.flickr.com/46/131327718_577736f63f_o.gif

I remember when Tom Gribble interviewed him in the bathroom at Staples Center during a Kings-Stars game. :D

colleyvillesooner
1/31/2008, 05:42 PM

From reports, all the Cowboys season ticket holders that paid for a seat rights get first dibs to ANY game or event played at that stadium. That's gonna be Texas fans. a lot of them. Plus all the fat cat horns that will buy up the suites, or the corporations that own the suites will mostly be based in Texas, supplying the tickets to Texans.

To me this is where the game being played in Texas would finally bite us in the ***...

Collier11
1/31/2008, 05:44 PM
I definitely know that the cotton bowl is a POS that I am sick of year in and year out, we are one of the top 5 rivalry games in the country and we are playing in a stadium that Jenks wouldnt get caught playing in. For all of you know it alls, prove to me where the 50/50 split will not continue, until then quit running your mouths and negging people about sh*t that you apparently dont know about either...if you have some proof then give it to me and I will admit I was wrong but I am still waiting!

Collier11
1/31/2008, 05:45 PM
From reports, all the Cowboys season ticket holders that paid for a seat rights get first dibs to ANY game or event played at that stadium. That's gonna be Texas fans. a lot of them. Plus all the fat cat horns that will buy up the suites, or the corporations that own the suites will mostly be based in Texas, supplying the tickets to Texans.

To me this is where the game being played in Texas would finally bite us in the ***...

If that is the case then I would not be for it, but I would expect some kind of deal between OU, tex, and JJ or else dont do it!

GrapevineSooner
1/31/2008, 05:46 PM

Simple.

Most of the Cowboys season ticket base is from Texas. Thus, the greater likelihood that any fan having first dibs on OU-Texas tix at Jerryworld will have burnt orange in his closet.

colleyvillesooner
1/31/2008, 05:46 PM
Exactly, but as Big Red jed also suggested, I bet that game is specifically mentioned in the contract. I would want it in there if I was buying tickets, to go or to sell them.

No telling if it is though...

BigRedJed
1/31/2008, 05:48 PM
Simple, most of the Cowboys season ticket base is from Texas. Thus, the greater likelihood that any fan having first dibs on OU-Texas tix at Jerryworld will have burnt orange in his closet.
Or, perhaps more importantly, will have burnt-orange-wearing friends or family that he will give/sell the tickets to.

auto
1/31/2008, 05:53 PM
Yes, a significant portion would have been publicly financed, but the surrounding development would more than recoup this investment over time. Look at any other expensive stadiums around the country and how restuarants/bars/etc develop around them, thereby increasing the tax base, and sales tax revenues.
:D

Point is, it's still in Arlington.:eek: :eek: :D

colleyvillesooner
1/31/2008, 05:56 PM
I think I can deal with standing in a crappy stadium for 3.5 hours out of a whole year....

Bingo.

The move from seats to benches was great last year. Hello leg room and unbruised shins.

I do miss the noise of all the seats clanging as everyone stood back up after a TV timeout. :O

Collier11
1/31/2008, 05:58 PM
Let me clarify my stance on this topic...

Other than the fact that the actual Cotton Bowl Game is moving to jerry world in the near future to enhance exposure and the possibility of being the 5th bcs game, there are many other reasons to me

Playing at the stadium as is makes the game look 2nd rate, how many people that go for the 1st time do you hear saying "what a game but that stadium is a hunk of garbage" cus ive heard plenty

Stay at the State Fair if , the City of Dallas makes the necessary improvements on a year to year basis so that stadium is 1st class, it doesnt have to look like all the new billion $ stadiums but something alot nicer would work

Move to the new Cowboys stadium if the improvements arent made and the contract assures OU that Dallas cowboy season ticket holders will not get first dibs on tix

If there cannot be those contractual gaurantees and the cotton bowl does not make the necessary improvements that leaves Joe C. and Royal with some problems but I would vote to stay at the Cotton Bowl, I hate the idea of a home and home with Texas more than anything else that is floating around out there

GrapevineSooner
1/31/2008, 06:02 PM
Stay at the State Fair if , the City of Dallas makes the necessary improvements on a year to year basis so that stadium is 1st class, it doesnt have to look like all the new billion $ stadiums but something alot nicer would work

Which the city has already agreed to do. I guarantee the last contract extension signed by both schools was contingent upon this.

Move to the new Cowboys stadium if the improvements arent made and the contract assures OU that Dallas cowboy season ticket holders will not get first dibs on tix

That'll never happen as Jerry's no dummy when it comes to business savy.

Joe C would force this to become a home and home series before he'd think about giving Texas a home field advantage every year.

colleyvillesooner
1/31/2008, 06:04 PM

Joe C would force this to become a home and home series before he'd think about giving Texas a home field advantage every year.

Not if enough dough gets thrown the school way...

Collier11
1/31/2008, 06:05 PM
Which the city has already agreed to do. I guarantee the last contract extension signed by both schools was contingent upon this.

They have agreed before but have been slow moving, that is my point

I understand that, but I also dont think Joe C. would allow the game to move without that assurance if it came to that, do you?

That would be the worst thing for this game, I would shed a tear if it ever went to home and home so I truly hope that the Original Cotton Bowl Stadium gets what it needs

GrapevineSooner
1/31/2008, 06:09 PM
Well, Laura Miller's no longer mayor of my fair city so there's a fighting chance the game stays at the Cotton Bowl. ;)

Collier11
1/31/2008, 06:11 PM
Well, Laura Miller's no longer mayor of my fair city so there's a fighting chance the game stays at the Cotton Bowl. ;)

I think we all agree that in the right circumstances, that is the BEST deal for everyone from players to fans to the City of Dallas!

snp
1/31/2008, 06:21 PM
Some of those Personal Seat Licenses at the Cowboys new stadium are going to be upwards of $50,000. Those people who are helping pay for this stadium deserve to get first crack at all incoming games.

colleyvillesooner
1/31/2008, 06:39 PM
FIne, as long as OU TX isn't one of them. :D

soonerboy_odanorth
1/31/2008, 06:44 PM
If the OU-Texas game does move to Jerryworld, I wouldn't worry too much about Jerry making an exception to his licensed seat-holders first dibs policy.

I'm sure Jerry would be more than happy to make sure it is a 50-50 OU-Texas proposition.

I don't think Jerry has any love lost for the 'horns. Remember, he played for Broyles, not Royal.

TexasLidig8r
1/31/2008, 06:55 PM
Oh Sweet Blue Jesus on a Bicycle !!!!

What do you want.. a bidet under every seat? A roof over your little head so you don't get wet in case it rains? Sushi served at the concession stands? Cushioned *** seats?

It's FOOTBALL!
It's one of the last, few unique games left in college football!

Change is NOT always good! (See.. New Coke)

Construction is going on at the Cotton Bowl on an on-going basis. At the Mizzou - Pig-Hillbilly game, there were cranes there and work was going on to build up the south stands. New video screens...

But, it's not, nor will it ever be, state of the art. And it doesn't need to be! This is one of the few games that are timeless.. that transcend what college football is becoming.

As for being a game that "deserves" to be at Jerry World... a diamond is a diamond whether it's presented in a Tiffany box or a brown paper bag... and a turd is still a turd no matter what satin lined gift bag it's dropped in.

soonerinabilene
1/31/2008, 07:29 PM
gawd danmed whorn making sense. I HATE YOU!!!:D

bluedogok
1/31/2008, 09:49 PM

I am not concerned about Whorns buying up suites, no one can hear people in the suites as they are too "busy" with other things to watch football.

Simple.

Most of the Cowboys season ticket base is from Texas. Thus, the greater likelihood that any fan having first dibs on OU-Texas tix at Jerryworld will have burnt orange in his closet.
Since you live in Texas you must be a Whorn lover too? After all, in some peoples minds it has to be a requirement, right?

There are a bunch of Okies, Red Raiders, Aggies and others who have Cowboys season tickets. Just because people live here don't mean they all follow the Whorns. This is same spiel the people who favor a home and home series have used every year in regards to the game at the Cotton Bowl anyway. I don't buy that a game in either place is going to be dominated by Whorns, if that was the case it would be happening now.

Hell, let's go ahead and move it to a home and home since it is SO unfair :rolleyes:

GrapevineSooner
1/31/2008, 09:55 PM

What do you want.. a bidet under every seat? A roof over your little head so you don't get wet in case it rains? Sushi served at the concession stands? Cushioned *** seats?

It's FOOTBALL!

Construction is going on at the Cotton Bowl on an on-going basis. At the Mizzou - Pig-Hillbilly game, there were cranes there and work was going on to build up the south stands. New video screens...

But, it's not, nor will it ever be, state of the art. And it doesn't need to be! This is one of the few games that are timeless.. that transcend what college football is becoming.

As for being a game that "deserves" to be at Jerry World... a diamond is a diamond whether it's presented in a Tiffany box or a brown paper bag... and a turd is still a turd no matter what satin lined gift bag it's dropped in.

And as Emmitt Smith once said...

We had some diamonds..we had a lotta cow poo poo around it.

sooneron
1/31/2008, 11:05 PM

If there cannot be those contractual gaurantees and the cotton bowl does not make the necessary improvements that leaves Joe C. and Royal with some problems but I would vote to stay at the Cotton Bowl, I hate the idea of a home and home with Texas more than anything else that is floating around out there
Do you really think the texas ad will be against changing the language when it probably means more texas fans in the stands? The contract will have to be approved by everyone involved. Joe C will be left on the outside on this one until he sees the dollar signs. GARE un TEED! Then he'll sign in Boren's blood.

Jason White's Third Knee
2/1/2008, 09:19 AM
http://img1.uploadhouse.com/fileuploads/1181/1181215b268483a4020c8b44e8191e88c72e722.jpg

War of the Jerry World. The word monstrosity comes to mind when I see pics of it, so here is my artist's rendering.

birddog
2/1/2008, 09:56 AM
this is an artists rendering of what the cotton bowl will look like in the year 2066. we'll be on a 58 game winning streak over the whorns and maybe at that point they will discuss making stadium improvements again.

http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/3633/rome20coliseum20interione9.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

colleyvillesooner
2/1/2008, 10:06 AM
I am not concerned about Whorns buying up suites, no one can hear people in the suites as they are too "busy" with other things to watch football.

Since you live in Texas you must be a Whorn lover too? After all, in some peoples minds it has to be a requirement, right?

Yes, there are fans of other schools in Dallas. Duh. I live in Dallas. For every OU or TT garb/car stuff I see, I see 5 for the longhorns. If this game moves there, and non OU/TX people get a good amount of tickets, alot will sell them for the money. Texas fans will reap the benefits.

There are a bunch of Okies, Red Raiders, Aggies and others who have Cowboys season tickets. Just because people live here don't mean they all follow the Whorns. This is same spiel the people who favor a home and home series have used every year in regards to the game at the Cotton Bowl anyway. I don't buy that a game in either place is going to be dominated by Whorns, if that was the case it would be happening now.

Hell, let's go ahead and move it to a home and home since it is SO unfair :rolleyes:

OU gets half of the tickets at the Cotton Bowl.

OU would get half of the tickets that are left at Jerry's world.

You live in Austin, I don't see how you can think this wouldn't favor the whorns.

Breadburner
2/1/2008, 10:58 AM

It's FOOTBALL!

Excelent post....!!!!

cjames317
2/1/2008, 11:50 AM
Check out this Channel 8 interview of Cowboys Sales/Marketing VP Greg McElroy from yesterday:

http://www.wfaa.com/video/?nvid=213788&shu=1

About a third of the way through, in response to a question about whether PSL holders get priority on Cotton Bowl tickets, he says: "We'll work with the Cotton Bowl and get a group of tickets that'll allow a lot of our PSL holders to attend. We gotta work the details out." Apparently, PSL priority will depend on who has "control" of the specific event.

GrapevineSooner
2/1/2008, 12:14 PM

I said there was a higher likelihood, not a requirement. Like CVS, I live in Dallas and can attest that this city is a melting pot of sorts for Sooners, Aggies, Longhorns, Cowboys, Red Raiders, and LSU fans, as well as other schools. It's clear who the favorite is in this city and it's UT.

It's not hard to take the leap of faith to juxtapose these observations into how the demographics of the Cowboys season ticket base breaks down.

I'd hate for that to happen. But the thought of playing in a not-so-neutral-stadium every year for the sake of simply playing in a shiny new edifice doesn't excite me either.

sooneron
2/1/2008, 12:22 PM
Some of you people act like your going to have to live in the stadium for a friggin week. It's just over 3 hours of your lives! If they put the money in that they are saying they will, the place will be much better in the next couple of years - sewage included. There is nothing like the game at the SFOT, I can't imagine for the life of me why anyone would think that partying in Jerry's parking lot with some minor attractions would be better.

cjames317
2/1/2008, 03:17 PM
"It's a profit deal."
-Navin Johnson

Another 25,000 seats/SRO, at current ticket prices, translates to what, another $4 million - $6 million just in ticket receipts?

Of course, I'm biased since JerryWorld is fifteen minutes from my house.

Civicus_Sooner
2/1/2008, 03:48 PM
Screw Jerry, screw the cowpukes, screw Arlington, screw texas and screw ut. Yep, that really kinda summs my thoughts up on the subject.

Jason White's Third Knee
2/1/2008, 03:51 PM
Screw Jerry, screw the cowpukes, screw Arlington, screw texas and screw ut. Yep, that really kinda summs my thoughts up on the subject.

I really liked living in Dallas, but it's hard to argue with you.

SoonerShark
2/1/2008, 09:19 PM
I want it kept in the fairgrounds in Dallas. It's not like it takes more than 4 hours out of your year in the "confines" of the Cotton Bowl. The view from the new upperdeck in Norman is crappy since it's too freakin' far from the filed, and the new stadiums all go UP and OUT. I like the cramped, but closer to the field, old time stadium in Dallas. The benches rather than the seats with backs make it much more comfortable, too.

bluedogok
2/1/2008, 10:47 PM
Yes, there are fans of other schools in Dallas. Duh. I live in Dallas. For every OU or TT garb/car stuff I see, I see 5 for the longhorns. If this game moves there, and non OU/TX people get a good amount of tickets, alot will sell them for the money. Texas fans will reap the benefits.
I see Whorn stuff all over here, but the majority of the people that I see wearing it and stuck on cars have more than likely never actually stepped on campus even though it is just north of downtown. Most of them probably bought their Whorn gear at Walgreen's during the 2 for $10 sale. They aren't buying up season tickets or OU-Texas tickets. I have seen many of that type in Dallas as well.

OU gets half of the tickets at the Cotton Bowl.

OU would get half of the tickets that are left at Jerry's world.

You live in Austin, I don't see how you can think this wouldn't favor the whorns.
Now, I would prefer that it stay at the Cotton Bowl, but I have little faith in the Seven Mayors of Dallas getting anything done. After living there for two years (in the City of Dallas) and working there a few years ago and dealing with the city, it just reinforces that line of thinking.

If it doesn't stay there, I think that Jerruh would figure something out to maintain the current competitive balance, I could care less who is in the suites as long as the bowl remains split. After all as someone else said, he ain't no Whorn and the Hogs have a very healthy dislike of them as well.

auto
2/2/2008, 08:45 AM
Some of you people act like your going to have to live in the stadium for a friggin week. It's just over 3 hours of your lives!

There is nothing like the game at the SFOT, I can't imagine for the life of me why anyone would think that partying in Jerry's parking lot with some minor attractions would be better.

Exactly. This is a nation of pussified people who don't like the cold, elements, or wind to mess up their hair. Exactly why we have places like Jerry World, so people's VGG's don't hurt them.:)

MamaMia
2/2/2008, 10:25 AM
Some of you people act like your going to have to live in the stadium for a friggin week. It's just over 3 hours of your lives! If they put the money in that they are saying they will, the place will be much better in the next couple of years - sewage included. There is nothing like the game at the SFOT, I can't imagine for the life of me why anyone would think that partying in Jerry's parking lot with some minor attractions would be better.
Why do you hate moon walks? :(

sooneron
2/2/2008, 11:44 AM
Why do you hate moon walks? :(
three words-

Freak

Childhood

Accident:pop:

Big Red Ron
2/2/2008, 11:45 AM
three words-

Freak

Childhood

Accident:pop:You visited Neverland Ranch?

:pop: :D

Jason White's Third Knee
2/2/2008, 12:26 PM
What if they held the State Fair at JerryWorld?

Problem solved.

See you guys should have just asked me. I am a thinker. My mom always told me I was really smart and that I should have been a lawyer. I am probably the best problem solver I know. Just last week a friend of mine had a problem with her 10 year old dog. She asked what she should do to lower the cost of his medical bills since the dog needed surgury on it's right front leg. I said that I would be right back. I told her that I had the answer to her problems and that she should hold out her hand and close her eyes. I gave her a bullet. I only asked for fifty cents to cover the cost of the bullet. It seemed fair. Anyway, she left shortly after that. She said she had some stuff to take care of. I haven't seen her since then, but I am sure that everything turned out for the best. See? I am always solving problems like that. I just have a knack for it. I am an idea man.

UTgolfer
2/3/2008, 12:41 PM
Check out this Channel 8 interview of Cowboys Sales/Marketing VP Greg McElroy from yesterday:

http://www.wfaa.com/video/?nvid=213788&shu=1

About a third of the way through, in response to a question about whether PSL holders get priority on Cotton Bowl tickets, he says: "We'll work with the Cotton Bowl and get a group of tickets that'll allow a lot of our PSL holders to attend. We gotta work the details out." Apparently, PSL priority will depend on who has "control" of the specific event.

The word "control" does appear to be the key word here. When referring to the Cotton Bowl during the interview referenced above, it is clear that McElroy is referring to the Cotton Bowl game played Jan 1 of each year and McElroy seems to indicate that Jerryworld will not have control of that event. It would be very interesting to know how the word control is used and defined in these agreements.

Count me in as a Longhorn who wants the game kept at the Cotton Bowl and keep the rich tradition alive. Anything other than a 50/50 split of tickets and a new venue would ruin the atmosphere and end a great tradition.

BigRedJed
2/3/2008, 12:53 PM
I'm getting tired of spekking whorns in this thread. Turn your turdiness back to the "on" position, please. I feel dirty.

TexasLidig8r
2/4/2008, 04:24 PM
I'm getting tired of spekking whorns in this thread. Turn your turdiness back to the "on" position, please. I feel dirty.

Its ok BRJ... Golfer can't be a real UT guy.. after all.. his spek is in the green instead of burnt orange where it belongs!

yermom
2/4/2008, 04:36 PM

well, this and the gheyness of aTm are about the only things we can agree on

BigRedJed
2/4/2008, 06:53 PM
Its ok BRJ... Golfer can't be a real UT guy.. after all.. his spek is in the green instead of burnt orange where it belongs!
His spek was full-on red before this thread. No kidding. He must have not been NEARLY in the negative as much as you. Don't worry; I'll be looking for a chance to take him back to redtown again ASAP.

Jdog
2/4/2008, 10:56 PM
The word "control" does appear to be the key word here. When referring to the Cotton Bowl during the interview referenced above, it is clear that McElroy is referring to the Cotton Bowl game played Jan 1 of each year and McElroy seems to indicate that Jerryworld will not have control of that event. It would be very interesting to know how the word control is used and defined in these agreements.

Count me in as a Longhorn who wants the game kept at the Cotton Bowl and keep the rich tradition alive. Anything other than a 50/50 split of tickets and a new venue would ruin the atmosphere and end a great tradition.

There must be a 50/50 split - plus a monorail to the ballpark's parking lots and Six Flags Parking.
Open Six Flags for the weekend and turn it into the State Fair for a day - Car show and all.

Stoop Dawg
2/5/2008, 01:56 AM

Yes, please.

Stoop Dawg
2/5/2008, 02:01 AM

You must live in the UT district or something. I see very few UT fans.

And you are exactly right, *if* Cowboys season tix holders got first dibs they would probably *sell* them. How many thousands of OU/TX tix are on ebay every year now? And yet, it still ends up 50/50. Weird.

Ever
2/5/2008, 02:23 AM
There must be a 50/50 split - plus a monorail to the ballpark's parking lots and Six Flags Parking.
Open Six Flags for the weekend and turn it into the State Fair for a day - Car show and all.

Actually, that might be kind of neat.

All I want to say is, a home-home series would blow. We would either have to deal with around 40,000+ longhorns running around Norman or give up the 50/50 field.

Giving up the 50/50 detracts from that game far too much. I would never have the guts to brave Austin, screaming Boomer pretty much by myself on 6th street, scalping tickets from UT students, and jingling keys in the middle of Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium. I will do a lot of stuff for OU, but risking gang-rape is not one of them.

And Mr. Burnt Orange drinking in O'Connell's, hitting on my lovely Thetas, that does not sit well with me. If it were a cordial rivalry, I could see it, but these schools hate each other. Neither side wants the other in their house. If there is one thing longhorns and Sooners have in common, it’s knowing how to drink... Lord, just imagine the fights that would break out in Campus Corner & on 6th street.

I can’t even imagine the bloodshed when #2 OU upsets #1 UT 13-0 in Austin. O_o

BigRedJed
2/5/2008, 02:29 AM
Uh, that's just the point with a home and home. The 50/50 would by necessity go away. There is absolutely NO CHANCE that I or 50% of the 82,000 other season ticket holders in Norman would give up their regular seats to accomodate 40,000 horns, and I'm beyond sure that horn season ticket holders would feel exactly the same way. Ever heard the phrase "they'll take my gun when they pry my cold, dead fingers off of it?" Well, that goes double for a horn defiling my seats with his burnt orange ***.

Unfortunately, I could envision a home and home at some point if the ADs were unhappy enough with money situations in Dallas, but I can guarandamntee you that 50/50 would be a thing of the past if that happened.

goingoneight
2/5/2008, 02:53 AM
Also, I don't like Austin and wouldn't make the trip as I trust many of them wouldn't either. The RRS is special... if you go home-and-home it becomes one of those Bed-dumb or LSS kinda "rivalries."

TexasLidig8r
2/5/2008, 10:10 AM
Also, I don't like Austin and wouldn't make the trip as I trust many of them wouldn't either. . .

You don't like rolling hills.. and lakes.. and very good golf courses... and numerous live music venues.. and eclectic restaurants.... and good spas... unique shopping venues... and great bar-b-q.. and great Tex-mex food.. and hot women??????

wow.

colleyvillesooner
2/5/2008, 10:14 AM
You must live in the UT district or something. I see very few UT fans.

And you are exactly right, *if* Cowboys season tix holders got first dibs they would probably *sell* them. How many thousands of OU/TX tix are on ebay every year now? And yet, it still ends up 50/50. Weird.

You're not looking hard enough.

And yeah, that's on Ebay. But a lot of people by through websites and message boards (like here) or to their friends/family. Those tickets would be in the hands of Texans and more likely end up in the hands of other Texans. Right now the people selling are probably 50/50, so it staying 50/50 makes more sense.

MamaMia
2/5/2008, 11:52 AM
You don't like rolling hills.. and lakes.. and very good golf courses... and numerous live music venues.. and eclectic restaurants.... and good spas... unique shopping venues... and great bar-b-q.. and great Tex-mex food.. and hot women??????

wow.and the traffic.

colleyvillesooner
2/5/2008, 11:54 AM
and all the ****ing whorns...

Civicus_Sooner
2/5/2008, 12:04 PM

wow.Nothing we don't have in the OKC Metro Area (which includes Norman). You need to get out more.

Breadburner
2/5/2008, 12:11 PM
Austin sucks......

TexasLidig8r
2/5/2008, 12:20 PM
Nothing we don't have in the OKC Metro Area (which includes Norman). You need to get out more.

You don't really think OKC/Norman is the equal of Austin in all of those areas do you?

Talk about someone who needs to get out more.. A LOT more.. :rolleyes:

Civicus_Sooner
2/5/2008, 12:25 PM
You don't really think OKC/Norman is the equal of Austin in all of those areas do you?

Talk about someone who needs to get out more.. A LOT more.. :rolleyes:
= or greater dude. Bricktown, Gaillardia, Oak Tree, Jimmy Austin, etc... OKC Metro > Austin

auto
2/5/2008, 12:39 PM
Nothing we don't have in the OKC Metro Area (which includes Norman). You need to get out more.

I was born in OKC, family lives there, and believe OKC has done an exceptional job with the downtown/bricktown area.

However, Austin is a destination town with some big events. Traffic does suck, there is that annoying burnt orange color, but Austin is fun. I guess I should be ready for some neg spek.

That being said, I never want to see OU-TX anywhere but at the state fair in Texas.

snp
2/5/2008, 12:45 PM
Austin >>> Norman/okc. It's not even close.

Civicus_Sooner
2/5/2008, 12:56 PM
Austin >>> Norman/okc. It's not even close.To each his own. I'm in Boston, DC and NY on a regular basis and us arguing over OKC vs. Austin is pretty silly because neither is really crap compared to most other major cities.

OKC is NBA certified tho. ;)

BigRedJed
2/5/2008, 01:09 PM
Having been to Austin quite a bit, it's pretty easy for me to separate the city from the things I don't like about it (namely all of the horns). Austin's a great town, especially in this region.

But there are plenty of reasons I live here instead of there, and a whole heck of a lot of it has to do with the people in both places.

MamaMia
2/5/2008, 03:10 PM

Talk about someone who needs to get out more.. A LOT more.. :rolleyes:If any one human being has enough extra time on their hands to experience all the great places that Oklahoma City and Norman have to offer, then they're getting out too much. :)

cjames317
2/5/2008, 03:50 PM

wow.

Sounds a lot like Tulsa. Let's move the game up there!

MojoRisen
2/5/2008, 04:03 PM
Being at the Fiesta Bowl the last 2 years- I hate indoor stadiums. Same with the SuperDome - I would hope weather permitting that they at least leave the roof open - canon ball smoke and stuff like that I like.

Civicus_Sooner
2/5/2008, 04:10 PM
Sounds a lot like Tulsa. Let's move the game up there!
heh, Tulsa sucks. At least they're numba one in murder rate per capita in Oklahoma.

:D

MamaMia
2/5/2008, 05:10 PM
Being at the Fiesta Bowl the last 2 years- I hate indoor stadiums. Same with the SuperDome - I would hope weather permitting that they at least leave the roof open - canon ball smoke and stuff like that I like.But the eagle would have been confused, since hes an indoor eagle and all. :P