PDA

View Full Version : Little brother strikes again

Dio
1/29/2008, 01:38 PM
http://newsok.com/article/3198409/1201631359

By Mike Baldwin
Staff Writer
STILLWATER — A ticket for ****** football this season will cost $419.

Technically speaking.

And you thought a $100 face value ticket to watch Oklahoma State host Oklahoma two years ago was expensive.

OSU officials announced season ticket prices on Tuesday. The interesting twist is they will not sell individual tickets for the OU game.

Fans wanting to watch the Cowboys and Sooners play Nov. 29 at Boone Pickens Stadium must purchase a $419 season ticket or one of OSU's other season ticket options. OU will still be given an allotment of tickets, but no individual game tickets will be sold.

OSU athletic director Mike Holder said the decision was based on Iowa State implementing an identical plan last season for its rival game against Iowa. Iowa State's season ticket sales increased 30 percent, jumping from 30,000 to 36,000.

“Our decision to eliminate single game tickets for ****** is based upon our desire to grow our season ticket sales,” Holder said in a press statement. “Our ability to compete for championships, in all sports, is dependent upon our fans' commitment to buying season tickets in football and basketball on an annual basis.

“Frankly, this decision is all about the long-term success of OSU athletics. Based on solid results at Iowa State, we believe this decision can produce a positive result at OSU.”

Sometime this fall single game tickets will be sold for OSU's other six home games. Single game tickets will cost $60 for non-conference opponents (Houston, Missouri State and Tory), $85 for non-OU conference games (Texas A&M, Baylor and Iowa State).

The irony is the ****** game is all but assured of being OSU's lowest attendance of the season. Two years ago, OSU sold three-game packages for $160 that included tickets for Missouri State, Baylor and OU. This year there will be no packages.

The unique marketing strategy should give OSU a legitimate shot at selling 40,000 or more season tickets for the first time.

OSU's record for season tickets is 38,674 set in 2004, which included a record 11,500 student tickets. OSU sold 9,000 student tickets last year.

As expected, OSU did not raise season ticket or donor prices for the first time in three years. The $419 season ticket is higher than last year ($359) but the Cowboys have seven home games instead of six.

“The addition of 16,000 new seats in the west end zone, we believe the decision to hold prices for 2008 is the right one,” Holder said. “The new seats give us opportunities to expand our fan base though new promotions and generate new revenue to support the entire athletic program.”

With the return of the renovated west end zone, OSU gains 16,000 additional seats. Boone Pickens Stadium capacity increases to 60,000, the sixth largest venue in the Big 12.

More Family Fun Zone tickets will be available. For a price of $980 a family can purchase four season tickets (two adult, two youth), $245 a person.

Other season ticket prices include: a Discount Zone and O-Club options ($294) and new graduate rate of $245 for anyone within five years of their graduation date. Faculty and staff season tickets will be $336.

“We strive for balance between affordability, value and revenue considerations when it comes to setting ticket and donor seating prices,” said Craig Clemons, associate athletic director for external affairs and development.

To attract more students, All Sports Ticket prices are expected to be reduced but AST prices won't be announced until a later date. Last year an AST cost $150 which gets students into every OSU sporting event other than men's basketball.

soonerinabilene
1/29/2008, 01:58 PM
The unique marketing strategy should give OSU a legitimate shot at selling 40,000 or more season tickets for the first time.

and by legitimate shot, they mean no chance in hell.

The_Red_Patriot
1/29/2008, 02:00 PM
WOW......

thats........woijfiowejfiowefjweiofjwofjeioejioejt eiojteot

salth2o
1/29/2008, 02:17 PM
Other season ticket prices include: a discount at Auto Zone and O-Club options ($294) and new graduate rate of $245 for anyone within five years of their graduation date. Faculty and staff season tickets will be $336.

Fixed

sooner518
1/29/2008, 02:21 PM
so what happens when they only sell 25,000 season tickets and they are looking at 10,000+ empty seats for the OU game? i wonder if they would cave at that point.

MichiganSooner
1/29/2008, 02:24 PM
Dear Mike Holder,

Since one of my kid's goes to OSU, I bought a ticket to Dad's Day last fall. It was the game against Div 1AA member "Bomar State". The cost of one ticket on the 30 yard line was $100. There were a few other suckers sitting around me, but only a few. The reason the ticket was $100 instead of the $47 OU would have sold it for was because you were planning on selling that seat to a season ticket holder that would have ponied up a donation to what you call an athletic department. It was available to sell as a single game ticket because you can not find enough suckers to give a donation on top of a season ticket purchase. So, anyways, you sold me the ticket for $100 so you could get the value of one ticket plus a donation. However, I am still waiting for my tax receipt for giving your athletic department a donation.

By the way, we Sooners or gooners as you call us will either watch on TV or listen to Bob Barry on the radio and save the hassle of having to get another tetanus shot before entering Boone Rustolem Stadium.

Enjoy looking at your empty seats!!

Boomer Sooner,
MichiganSooner

SoonerTerry
1/29/2008, 02:35 PM
Dear Mike Holder,

Suck it!!

That is all,

SoonerTerry

85sooners
1/29/2008, 02:44 PM
f-em!

cheezyq
1/29/2008, 02:45 PM
Holder said in a press statement. “Our ability to compete for championships, in all sports, is dependent upon our fans' commitment to buying season tickets in football and basketball on an annual basis."

So, it's the fans' fault oSu sucks? I think Holder is on to something here....

;)

Collier11
1/29/2008, 03:04 PM

;)

Could Be! Their fans have sucked just as long as the football team so...

SoonerRecon
1/29/2008, 03:16 PM

;)

i knew a couple of their cheerleaders who were terrific suckers

mxATVracer10
1/29/2008, 03:54 PM
i knew a couple of their cheerleaders who were terrific suckers
This thread is now WWP! :pop:

yermom
1/29/2008, 04:07 PM
why on earth would OSU's season tickets be as much or more than OU's?

bluedogok
1/29/2008, 04:29 PM
Because they WANT them to be.....that is what happens when you have an AD with the country club mindset hanging out with only the high dollar donors, they think everyone has the same means.

CatfishSooner
1/29/2008, 04:30 PM

It's quite the paradox indeed...:confused:

Civicus_Sooner
1/29/2008, 04:31 PM
Ha Ha they suck.

r5TPsooner
1/29/2008, 04:46 PM
I thought that osu just gave tickets away to home football games with the exception of OU.

Newbomb Turk
1/29/2008, 04:56 PM
“Frankly, this decision is all about the long-term success of OSU athletics. Based on solid results at Iowa State, we believe this decision can produce a positive result at OSU.”

must suck to have to model yourself after Iowa State

Boarder
1/29/2008, 05:06 PM
Hey! Iowa State won that one game that one time, didn't they? Or something?

The whole article is so osu. "We hope to have a legitimate shot at selling 40,000 season tickets when we just expanded to 60,000!" Well, by that logic they will need to expand to 127,000 to match OU's 85,000. But hey, it's the fan's fault anyway. If they would come support the crappy product it might stop sucking. That brings a new aggyness to aggy logic.

And, the b word is censored. hehe

jrsooner
1/29/2008, 05:21 PM
Let's see if Sooners bought all the "season tickets" and didn't show up for any game but the one that OU plays, that would really kill the revenue of local shops, concessions, and show basically an empty stadium whenever they are shown on TV. :)

Are they shown on TV?????

tomtom
1/29/2008, 06:23 PM
shows how dumb i am, i though 30 percent of 30,000 was 9000.
thank god for cowboy math. 30 percent of 30,000 jumped attendence to
36,000. what am i missing.

TheUnnamedSooner
1/29/2008, 06:29 PM

LOL I missed that.

there's aggie math for you

Sooner_Havok
1/29/2008, 06:40 PM
Come on, you expect them to do math and field a football team. It is one or the other here folks! Mark my word, any increase in athletics will be marked with an equal decrease in academics. And seeing as how osu has about the same admission standards as prestigious institutions such as Redlands Community College, Oklahoma City Community College, and University of Phoenix Online, I guess they figure, "Hell, how much further can we fall?"

goingoneight
1/29/2008, 10:14 PM
****... that.

goingoneight
1/29/2008, 10:17 PM
... and show basically an empty stadium whenever they are shown on TV. :)

We don't need to buy **** for that to happen. They're a stadium is half-full kinda people.

oudivesherpa
1/29/2008, 10:57 PM
Option pricing works in many industries--OSU realizes that their big draw is getting to play in the big tme against OU. Perhaps, if the added a little zest to the half time they could sell more season tickets. How about nude leap frogs with sheep--but you would have to make sure the cowboys completed their leap.

KantoSooner
1/29/2008, 11:50 PM
Or, perhaps, that the rams didn't complete theirs.

Squeal like a pig, Aggie!

KingDavid
1/30/2008, 12:04 AM

BINGO!

goingoneight
1/30/2008, 12:35 AM
It's either FSN, ABC or ESPN for me and Bed-dumb. It's not that important that I can't wacth it on TV like just about every other road game. At road's end, I'd listen to Bob Barry, Sr. again before I go back to that town on their Super Bowl day.

insuranceman_22
1/30/2008, 01:51 AM
Me thinks this idea won't work to well. I guess we'll see. Then again, Communism looked sort of good on paper.....before it was tried anyway.....good job ags

MrJimBeam
1/30/2008, 05:57 AM
This was about their only option concerning the OU game. If the Pickens were to sell an individual ticket to the OU game, the stadium would become a neutral site. There would be 20,000 OU fans there and Pickens can't have that. What's more embarrassing, have 20,000 empty seats at home against your biggest rival, or having those 20,000 seats filled by the fans of your biggest rival?

soonerloyal
1/30/2008, 09:06 AM
Because they WANT them to be.....that is what happens when you have an AD with the country club mindset hanging out with only the high dollar donors, they think everyone gives a damn about their sucka** program.

Fixed it for ya. :D

MamaMia
1/30/2008, 09:25 AM
I thought that osu just gave tickets away to home football games with the exception of OU. If as in "they", you mean some anonymous donor, they do. This is the only game of theirs that they know will sell out. What they're trying to do is take advantage of the Sooner fans who don't qualify for the OU visitor allotment, which makes no sense at all since there will always be seats available for sale on ticket sites and outside the gate for less than what they think they can get out of us. After this lame brained idea doesn't work, they'll go on to plan 'G'. :P

OUDoc
1/30/2008, 09:35 AM
Holder said in a press statement. “Our ability to compete for championships, in all sports, is dependent upon our fans' commitment to buying season tickets in football and basketball on an annual basis."

He meant OU fans' commitment apparently.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/30/2008, 09:47 AM
In that article he said that a lot of OU fans will buy season tickets at osux just to see that one game. He knows this because a lot of osux fans buy season tickets to OU's games so they can attend when it's in Norman.

Are you kidding me! Has he seen our waiting list? If people really are doing that, they have more money than sense.

ruf/nekdad
1/30/2008, 09:55 AM
This was about their only option concerning the OU game. If the Pickens were to sell an individual ticket to the OU game, the stadium would become a neutral site. There would be 20,000 OU fans there and Pickens can't have that. What's more embarrassing, have 20,000 empty seats at home against your biggest rival, or having those 20,000 seats filled by the fans of your biggest rival?

What he said ^^^^

TheHumanAlphabet
1/30/2008, 09:59 AM
i knew a couple of their cheerleaders who were terrific suckers:eek:

TheHumanAlphabet
1/30/2008, 10:00 AM

I bet about half of the season tix will be Sooners looking to go to the game. If so, I urge all Sooner fans to eat their aggie tix and leave lots of no shows in the stands for the other games. However, the problem with this is aggie gets OUr money.

Sooner_Bob
1/30/2008, 10:03 AM
Did you guys read this comment from an oSu fan on another article?

LOVE IT pay for the season, or watch on TV, won't matter. we'll have 90-95% capacity with or without the uo fans.
eddie, oklahoma city - Jan 30, 2008 8:26 AM

link (http://newsok.com/article/3198694/1201666085)

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/30/2008, 10:05 AM
Did you guys read this comment from an oSu fan on another article?

link (http://newsok.com/article/3198694/1201666085):eddie: ?

NormanPride
1/30/2008, 11:24 AM
I miss the good 'ol days when the crazies were either locked away or hidden in the family basement. They'll let anyone be AD these days.

Crimsontothecore
1/30/2008, 01:19 PM
Shouldn't it send up a red flag when you model your season ticket program (or anything else for that matter) after Iowa state??:confused:

Mixer!
1/30/2008, 01:39 PM
Pinkies up, Pokies!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/f/f1/King_Booker_Pose.jpg/175px-King_Booker_Pose.jpg

bluedogok
1/30/2008, 10:21 PM
In that article he said that a lot of OU fans will buy season tickets at osux just to see that one game. He knows this because a lot of osux fans buy season tickets to OU's games so they can attend when it's in Norman.

Are you kidding me! Has he seen our waiting list? If people really are doing that, they have more money than sense.
I know some that do that, they buy the OU seasons tickets as a business expense and dole them out to clients until it comes time for the OU-OSU game and they use those themselves. Most of the ones that I know who do this have had season tix to both schools for 20+ years. I wouldn't say it is as large of a number that would buy the other way though. There are a number of Nebraska people who have bought season tickets at other schools for every other year to get the tickets to their game and then sell/give the other tickets away of course when there is no waiting list it makes doing that much easier.

birddog
1/31/2008, 08:53 AM
Shouldn't it send up a red flag when you model your season ticket program (or anything else for that matter) after Iowa state??:confused:

damnit, i knew i'd get beat to the punch on this one.

if i ever hear "ou is copying the scheme used by iowa state", just put a bullet in my gullet.

spekarinski.

schlanker
1/31/2008, 12:04 PM
what they did was really stupid. They should have said you can buy season tixs for 419 or whatever it is or 1 ticket to OU/OSU for 450 bucks. Then they will still have singles to sell to the other games. Assuming someone will buy them.

wishbonesooner
1/31/2008, 12:10 PM
Seriously, is there anyone that's going to pony up for OSU season tickets to go to that game? Please tell me there isn't.

auto
1/31/2008, 12:36 PM
Seriously, is there anyone that's going to pony up for OSU season tickets to go to that game? Please tell me there isn't.

I hope every seat is empty if they are depending on OU fans buying season tickets. That will look impressive on TV:D

Boarder
1/31/2008, 12:57 PM
If you pay $419 for the privelege of going to stoolwater for anything, you're not extremely bright.

MextheBulldog
1/31/2008, 02:19 PM
Meh, just another reason to avoid Stoolwater.

wishbonesooner
1/31/2008, 02:23 PM
I hope Joe C. puts their allotment to ****** in 09 to about 11. Course it would be good for them to see what a sellout really looks like.

MamaMia
1/31/2008, 03:39 PM
The unique marketing strategy should give OSU a legitimate shot at selling 40,000 or more season tickets for the first time. The irony is more fans probably will attend the Missouri State game than when the Sooners are in town.This guy is a riot; delusional yes, but a riot just the same. :D

GrapevineSooner
1/31/2008, 06:06 PM

I never knew Holder was a Tom Hicks disciple.

101sooner
1/31/2008, 06:34 PM
Poke fans argue that it's a strategy to raise more sheep and sell more season tickets.

Bottom line:

OSU's AD is unstable. He's consumed with petty hatred and has lost sight of the principles of sportsmanship and the value of intercollegiate competition.

Basically, he's acts like one of us, which is the wrong answer if you are the AD of a state university.

This is from 2006:

STILLWATER, Okla. -- The high price of tickets to Saturday's ****** matchup between Oklahoma and Oklahoma State is keeping many fans away from the game at Boone Pickens Stadium.

OSU still had more than 1,000 tickets available on the stadium's north side ranging from $250 to $1,000. The Cowboys have not had a sellout crowd for any of their five previous home dates.

Meanwhile, OSU athletic director Mike Holder said he doesn't care if OU fans refuse to pay the high price for OSU tickets.

"Good, stay home. Don't come," Holder said. "I don't care if any of them show up. Just bring that football team out here."

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/wire?section=ncf&id=2670713

cvsooner
1/31/2008, 07:57 PM
400 bones to see the Sooners play anywhere? Man, even loyalty's got its limits, especially in this economy.

goingoneight
1/31/2008, 08:07 PM
It's on TV for all of the locals. FSN Southwest most likely, ABC if we're on a title run. I like the fact that we have traveling fans and show up in force to help the team out and all, but this is their way of sticking it to us and it won't work. If I'm spending $400 on ANY game, it's against OUr REAL rival, and it's a whole weekend ordeal in Dallas. That or an MNC game.

Mixer!
1/31/2008, 09:09 PM
If he thinks that pokey fans are going to pony up extra $ for tickets for their families & friends on Thanksgiving weekend, he'll be disappointed when those "less than 3%'ers" start selling their ticket to the game instead. If he wants to seriously grow the ST fanbase beyond 21,000, then he needs to price them within their means. Or else he's trying to turn Boone State into a Target instead of the Wal-Mart it's been all these years. ;)

But hey, ol' Booner said in the paper he wasn't done giving yet, so why not try something stupid like this?
http://img322.imageshack.us/img322/6645/pickens2pk7.gif

101sooner
1/31/2008, 10:02 PM
Eskimo Joe said Holder is an idiot.

OSUAggie
1/31/2008, 11:56 PM
Poke fans argue that it's a strategy to raise more sheep and sell more season tickets.

Bottom line:

OSU's AD is unstable. He's consumed with petty hatred and has lost sight of the principles of sportsmanship and the value of intercollegiate competition.

heh

Maybe 4 of his programs can land on probation in an effort to bring some stability to his tenure. Hell, that's worth a raise and an extension, isn't it?

wishbonesooner
2/1/2008, 11:32 AM
All those empty seats are going to impress a lot of people watching TV.

MamaMia
2/1/2008, 02:33 PM
If my points don't qualify me for a couple of seats to the game, I'll see what I can find online. If I cant find them for less than about 100.00 a seat, I'd rather watch it on TV. Its really that simple. No way in H E double hockey sticks would I, or anyone in my circle for that matter, ever pay over 100.00 a seat for an OU/osu ticket. That would be nuts.

cvsooner
2/1/2008, 04:22 PM
You could buy a mighty nice TV set with two of those O$Ewe $ea$on ticket$.

Oldnslo
2/1/2008, 06:29 PM
You could buy a mighty nice TV set with two of those O$Ewe $ea$on ticket$.
And so many aggies would be able to put it on top of the other tv. "The one that don't work no more."

Jacie
2/1/2008, 08:14 PM
Would lOSUrs pay more to attend their home football games if the halftime entertainment were upgraded? How about pig races?

Cam
2/1/2008, 09:49 PM
All those empty seats are going to impress a lot of people watching TV.
Assuming the game's on tv. Never a given with the Pokes.

IMO, this will backfire on Holder one way or the other. It might look good in the short term to have the seats sold, but it's never a good thing to have as many empty seats as they're going to have.

goingoneight
2/2/2008, 03:38 AM
Uh... it is a given when we're playing there. They bill it up as a rivalry and OSU generally speaking plays their best game of the season against OU. It's been televised every year under Stoops and a few years prior I believe.

Now Baylor, ISU, Chatanooga... those games get picked up according to how well we're doing. If we're 2-2 and North Texas comes to Norman, you can probably bet it's PPV if even televised at all. If we're 6-0, nothing will stand in the networks' ways of getting that pub.

Outopia
2/2/2008, 09:59 AM
Funny thing is, they will not announce their final sales numbers until after their Wash. State game. If they lose to WSU those numbers won't be so great. If they win, they will get a bump. If not, not so much. They think they will get ISU type results. Maybe, but that still leaves alot of empty seats. Good thing for them WSU is not very good.

It's good to be a fan of a "real" program that sells out traditionally, and not have to rely on "stunts" or how one's team does against WSU in the first game to maximize numbers. That's the bush league life of a bottom feeder.

Cam
2/2/2008, 08:53 PM
Uh... it is a given when we're playing there. They bill it up as a rivalry and OSU generally speaking plays their best game of the season against OU. It's been televised every year under Stoops and a few years prior I believe.

Now Baylor, ISU, Chatanooga... those games get picked up according to how well we're doing. If we're 2-2 and North Texas comes to Norman, you can probably bet it's PPV if even televised at all. If we're 6-0, nothing will stand in the networks' ways of getting that pub.
They're on tv when they play OU, really? :rolleyes:

Other than our game, there zero guarantee of them being on tv. They had a couple conference games last year that weren't televised.

My money says that the OU game is still their highest attended game.