PDA

View Full Version : Boy, the game of basketball has changed...

SoonerBorn
1/29/2008, 12:05 AM
Went to the OU/osu game tonight. I don't really follow basketball, and this is the first game I've been to in quite a while. So, I didn't realize how much the game has changed.

See, back when I played basketball (and I realize this will show my age a bit) you couldn't tackle someone by the head and slam them into the ground. They threw you out of the game. No, seriously. They wouldn't let you play anymore that day. Turns out now it's just a technical.

Oh, and back in my day you had to hit a free throw every now and again. We even spent time in practice working on it.

Ah, my how time flies.

stoopified
1/29/2008, 12:32 AM
:D

Ash
1/29/2008, 01:05 AM
See, back when I played basketball (and I realize this will show my age a bit) you couldn't tackle someone by the head and slam them into the ground. They threw you out of the game. No, seriously. They wouldn't let you play anymore that day. Turns out now it's just a technical.

Should have been a flagrant. I don't know how you don't get that call, especially after checking the replays.

GrapevineSooner
1/29/2008, 05:34 AM
If what Longar Longar did last season to Rizvic warranted a two-game suspension, then this dooshrocket move by Martavius Adams deserves at least that much.

Jacie
1/29/2008, 06:54 AM
The aggs were given the benefit of the doubt because they are such a great wrestling school it was felt the b-ball team might have been contaminated.

Spray
1/29/2008, 09:39 AM

Oh, and back in my day you had to hit a free throw every now and again. We even spent time in practice working on it.

Ain't that the truth. I remember when a guard that shot free throws in the high 60 to low 70 percent range was a liability. It is mind numbing to watch this team shoot free throws.

I think they should spend an entire week of practice on nothing but free throws.

TopDaugIn2000
1/29/2008, 10:22 AM
adams will probably get recruited by the rasslin coach after last night's performance

colleyvillesooner
1/29/2008, 11:33 AM
I liked how the color guy said the "only" thing that could excuse that was the nature of the heated rivalry. I wish Ron Franklin would have bitched slapped him.

Ash
1/29/2008, 11:55 AM
Fran Fraschilla is a smooth talker but really knows jack **** about basketball. That's why he's on TV and no longer a coach. That's why he could recruit a few talented (but thuggish) players but then would get canned at within a year or two amid disgrace.

meh

GrapevineSooner
1/29/2008, 11:56 AM
Well, the color guy was also under the impression that Eaton's shot at the end of the game would have counted had it gone in.

Nevermind the ball was clearly still in his hands when the perimeter lights on the backboard lit up.

colleyvillesooner
1/29/2008, 12:13 PM
Well, the color guy was also under the impression that Eaton's shot at the end of the game would have counted had it gone in.

Nevermind the ball was clearly still in his hands when the perimeter lights on the backboard lit up.

yeah they wisely only showed the replay once, since that guy was busy trumping Franklin's call by repeating "it's good, it's good" implying it was good if it goes.

Obvious that it didn't get off in time. I wish it would have gone in, only to have it waved off. full heart rippage.

yermom
1/29/2008, 12:19 PM
that's evil.

i like that

colleyvillesooner
1/29/2008, 12:22 PM
It's all evil when it comes to me and the aggots.

Pricetag
1/29/2008, 12:38 PM
Should have been a flagrant. I don't know how you don't get that call, especially after checking the replays.
I hope the officials didn't have the angle ESPN kept showing from behind the basket--the look on the kid's face alone was sufficient to eject him, IMO.

I loved the shot of him on the bench just afterward, and you could read his lips as he said, "I was just trying to get him off me." WTF? I understand that frustration can set in, and things happen on the field of play that might not be as sinister as they look, but for God's sake, take responsibility for what you did out there. You're not going to fool the fans, your coaches, or yourself.

Ash
1/29/2008, 12:46 PM
I hope the officials didn't have the angle ESPN kept showing from behind the basket--the look on the kid's face alone was sufficient to eject him, IMO.

I loved the shot of him on the bench just afterward, and you could read his lips as he said, "I was just trying to get him off me." WTF? I understand that frustration can set in, and things happen on the field of play that might not be as sinister as they look, but for God's sake, take responsibility for what you did out there. You're not going to fool the fans, your coaches, or yourself.

Yup, it was obvious. They were tangled up for little bit, but Griffin had unlocked his arm and had his back to the guy when Adams got him in a head lock and slammed into the floor.

OUmillenium
1/29/2008, 12:59 PM
At least the incompetency of the Big 12 officials was momentarily absent as a flagrant foul was issued.

Should have been an ejection.

And there should have been another flagrant foul on lOSUr late in the game.

tommieharris91
1/29/2008, 01:03 PM
The sheep sure are loud today.

http://www.orangepower.com/showthread.php?t=47976

TopDaugIn2000
1/29/2008, 01:06 PM
*yawn*

Pricetag
1/29/2008, 01:18 PM
Wow, not a single one of them nutted up and admitted it for what it was.

TopDawg
1/30/2008, 10:36 AM
If what Longar Longar did last season to Rizvic warranted a two-game suspension, then this dooshrocket move by Martavius Adams deserves at least that much.

True. Only problem with that scenario is that everybody involved knows Longar's deal last year DIDN'T warrant a two-game suspension. Even the toolbox commish who dealt it knew it wasn't deserved.

I don't have a problem with flagrant fouls not being called. I mean, Adams' thing was obviously a hard, unnecessary and probably intentional foul, but I can understand why a flagrant wasn't called. The Dove foul on Blake late in the game looked bad from the first angle, but the camera under the goal...which gave a much better look at it, wasn't so convincing. Fouls like that happen once or twice a game.

crawfish
1/30/2008, 11:01 AM
The sheep sure are loud today.

http://www.orangepower.com/showthread.php?t=47976

Their guys = playing hard and agressive

Our guys = thugs

No hypocrisy there. :)

stoopified
1/30/2008, 04:42 PM
yeah they wisely only showed the replay once, since that guy was busy trumping Franklin's call by repeating "it's good, it's good" implying it was good if it goes.

Obvious that it didn't get off in time. I wish it would have gone in, only to have it waved off. full heart rippage.The refs have missed obvious calls like that before.I recall a shot at GIA that was called good acouple years back and cost us a ****** win.

GrapevineSooner
1/30/2008, 05:34 PM
True. Only problem with that scenario is that everybody involved knows Longar's deal last year DIDN'T warrant a two-game suspension. Even the toolbox commish who dealt it knew it wasn't deserved.

I don't have a problem with flagrant fouls not being called. I mean, Adams' thing was obviously a hard, unnecessary and probably intentional foul, but I can understand why a flagrant wasn't called. The Dove foul on Blake late in the game looked bad from the first angle, but the camera under the goal...which gave a much better look at it, wasn't so convincing. Fouls like that happen once or twice a game.

Oh I know what LL did wasn't worthy of a suspension of any kind. And I'm not necessarily suggesting that what Adams did was worthy of a suspension. Ejection? Possibly. But TG wasn't hurt and the refs ultimately decided to let Adams stay in the game.

No big deal as far as I'm concerned.

GrapevineSooner
1/30/2008, 06:01 PM
The refs have missed obvious calls like that before.I recall a shot at GIA that was called good acouple years back and cost us a ****** win.

The refs can go to replay to check shots at the end of the half since, just like in the NBA, the perimeter of the backboards light up in a pretty shade of red when the clock hits 0.0 . IIRC, the refs reviewed Muonelo's three at the end of the first half.

What you're referring to was a no-call on a disputed shot clock violation. Unlike shots at the end of the half, those aren't reviewable by video replay.

TopDawg
1/30/2008, 06:20 PM
Oh I know what LL did wasn't worthy of a suspension of any kind. And I'm not necessarily suggesting that what Adams did was worthy of a suspension. Ejection? Possibly. But TG wasn't hurt and the refs ultimately decided to let Adams stay in the game.

No big deal as far as I'm concerned.

Yeah, I figured that's what you were getting at. I was mostly just griping about the ridiculousness of last year.