PDA

View Full Version : Lance Cargill Steps Down as House Speaker

Mjcpr
1/28/2008, 07:35 PM
As with most things political, I haven't really followed this but that seems like an extreme step for not paying your taxes on time doesn't it?

http://www.newson6.com/global/story.asp?s=7785533

Jimminy Crimson
1/28/2008, 07:42 PM
There should be more to this story... :O

Mjcpr
1/28/2008, 07:43 PM
That's what I was thinking.

Jimminy Crimson
1/28/2008, 07:47 PM
And by 'there should', I mean there will.

Okla-homey
1/29/2008, 08:19 AM
Just seems to me, one of the worst things a guy who spends your tax money can do, is not pay his own taxes.

Like you guys, I bet there are other skeletons about to emerge from his closets (and maybe file cabinets.)

If he was a real man, he'd commit political hari kari and resign from the legislature too...

SicEmBaylor
1/29/2008, 08:43 AM
Oh bother.

sooner_born_1960
1/29/2008, 09:14 AM
If the voters don't vote them out (the whole list of tax non-payers) next election, their decision not to resign will be validated.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/29/2008, 09:28 AM
As with most things political, I haven't really followed this but that seems like an extreme step for not paying your taxes on time doesn't it?

http://www.newson6.com/global/story.asp?s=7785533

You good with your Rep skipping paying/filing taxes? I'm not. He was in an indefensible position, he did the right thing.

Hamhock
1/29/2008, 09:41 AM
i thought he said he was due a refund, he just didn't file?

TheHumanAlphabet
1/29/2008, 10:21 AM
Said the "accountant" made the error and didn't file a tax return for 2 years...

Cargill has been under fire following published reports indicating he submitted late property tax payments on his Harrah law office six years in a row and failed to file state personal income tax returns in 2005 and 2006.
Cargill took responsibility for the tardiness and apologized. But he came under harsh criticism from Democrats and the revelations eroded support from members of his own Republican caucus. Many House Republicans said voters in their districts were furious about Cargill's lapses.
The Oklahoman reported earlier this month that Cargill failed to file his 2005 and 2006 personal income tax returns until getting a Jan. 7 warning from the state Tax Commission. Cargill blamed a miscommunication with an accountant.

How many of y'all get a warning from the Tax Commission?

Okla-homey
1/29/2008, 10:38 AM
Said the "accountant" made the error and didn't file a tax return for 2 years...

it's called a W-2

Hamhock
1/29/2008, 10:44 AM

every taxpayer gets a notice from the IRS and the OTC if the taxing authority hasn't seen the return.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/29/2008, 11:31 AM
every taxpayer gets a notice from the IRS and the OTC if the taxing authority hasn't seen the return.

Wow, who knew? I'm guessing since I am such a fine and upstanding citizen ;) and file my taxes, I would not have reason to hear from the taxing authorities.

So would the person get it or their tax preparer?

Hamhock
1/29/2008, 11:33 AM
i'm sure his taxes aren't as simple as putting the information from his W-2. he may not even get a w-2, so the OTC may not have seen the cross-reference from an employer filed W-2.

Oldnslo
1/29/2008, 12:19 PM
I'm aware of some rumors regarding the former speaker. One of which involves Lance explaining in depth the finer points of the legislative session to his secretary. On his desk.

RacerX
1/29/2008, 12:39 PM
The thing that really irritated me was that the wonderful folks at the capitol passed a law that said all state employees had to be current on their taxes or lose their jobs. We had to track, notify, and warn some. I think all of our employees got current. But I bet there were some terminated at some agencies.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/29/2008, 01:35 PM
I'm aware of some rumors regarding the former speaker. One of which involves Lance explaining in depth the finer points of the legislative session to his secretary. On his desk.

:eek:

Is he married?

Reminds me of an opinion I have that the Repubs have been out of power for soooo long that they can't handle the power now that they have it. Fits for Congress, seems to fit in Oklahoma.

RacerX
1/29/2008, 01:43 PM
Thou shalt not comfort thy staff with thy rod.