PDA

View Full Version : Foo Fighters @ OKC FC postponed

BigRedJed
1/28/2008, 05:52 PM
Any of you hillbillies who were planning on going to the show tomorrow night: be advised that the show has been postponed due to an "illness in the band."

Developing...

BigRedJed
1/28/2008, 05:55 PM
Dang typo.

Mjcpr
1/28/2008, 05:57 PM
Twice even.

I thought you were typing in England's english or something.

BigRedJed
1/28/2008, 05:59 PM
Grrr.

M
1/28/2008, 06:00 PM
Man, that really puts a monkey wrench in my plans.

picasso
1/28/2008, 06:11 PM
Dave Grohl has finals at beauty college?

BigRedJed
1/28/2008, 06:16 PM
Twice even.

I thought you were typing in England's english or something.
Have I ever told you that you are my favourite poster?

Mjcpr
1/28/2008, 07:28 PM
As a matter of fact, you haven't!

BigRedJed
1/28/2008, 07:43 PM
There's a reason for that.

:kelvin:

Mjcpr
1/28/2008, 07:44 PM
Maybe you just don't get my sense of humour.

BigRedJed
1/28/2008, 07:59 PM
Heh.

BigRedJed
1/28/2008, 07:59 PM
Wait a minute. Was that a joke?

tulsaoilerfan
1/28/2008, 08:35 PM
Well crap, i hope the rescheduled date is one that i can make; surprisingly my son took it pretty well

birddog
1/28/2008, 08:46 PM
bollocks.

i just moved back here so i have no idea, but do we have a smaller venue that will draw in some big names?

i know foo is a stadium band but it would be nice to have a 2-3k place designed for music. if we do have one, what is it?

King Crimson
1/28/2008, 08:54 PM
i know foo is a stadium band but it would be nice to have a 2-3k place designed for music. if we do have one, what is it?

i saw Ronnie James Dio at the Civic Center when i was in 9th grade. I think.

birddog
1/28/2008, 08:56 PM
well, things haven't changed a bit.:)

i think my sister saw shawn cassidy at the fairgrounds.

yermom
1/28/2008, 09:09 PM
i didn't even know they were playing...

i guess i'll stick around and see if i can get tickets for the rescheduled show

BigRedJed
1/29/2008, 01:16 PM
The Civic Center used to fit the bill as a medium-sizish venue (I saw R.E.M. and SRV there, among others), but since the dramatic restructure and remodel during MAPS it really isn't conducive to rock shows. Great place for the ballet or philharmonic, but not for Interpol or Social Distortion.

One of the places for those types of shows include the Bricktown Events Center (nice-sized room, but awful acoustics). I've seen quite a few shows there (Morrisey, The Flaming Lips, The Killers...) and they've hosted bands like The White Stripes, Wilco, the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Yo la Tengo, etc., but the shows there have been few and far between lately. I've heard that quite a few promoters had gotten sideways with the owners of the venue.

The Diamond Ballroom in S. OKC is an oversized room that is a dump, but at the same time has pretty decent sound. Lots of metal shows in its past, and it sort of keeps up that tradition today. But there have also been some pretty alt/indie stuff too. In recent years, I've seen the Shins, Shiny Toy Guns, The Rapture and others.

The other -- and recently unexplored -- option is the Farmer's Public Market building, which is probably the closest thing OKC has to Cain's ballroom (in fact, Bob Wills often played there). It has been undergoing significant renovation in the past few years, and playing host to multiple events, but not any concerts of note. That might be changing; I've heard some interesting rumors about a local promoter working on something pretty special for that place.

I've always thought that the Farmer's Market would be a great venue, again strikingly similar to Cain's, but that somewhere along the way they simply stopped booking shows there due to competing venues (Diamond, Civic Center, fairgrounds arena, etc.), while Cain's kept grinding away. I think Cain's continues to get great shows because they never stopped booking them, and a competing venue never emerged in T-town. That ended up being very fortunate for Tulsa and for Cain's because they never fell off the map, they kept relationships with promoters, and they instead attained "legendary" status.

colleyvillesooner
1/29/2008, 01:23 PM
i didn't even know they were playing...

i guess i'll stick around and see if i can get tickets for the rescheduled show

It was only funny the first time when M did it.

Good grief.

yermom
1/29/2008, 01:25 PM

Good grief.

:mad:

yermom
1/29/2008, 01:29 PM
The Civic Center used to fit the bill as a medium-sizish venue (I saw R.E.M. and SRV there, among others), but since the dramatic restructure and remodel during MAPS it really isn't conducive to rock shows. Great place for the ballet or philharmonic, but not for Interpol or Social Distortion.

One of the places for those types of shows include the Bricktown Events Center (nice-sized room, but awful acoustics). I've seen quite a few shows there (Morrisey, The Flaming Lips, The Killers...) and they've hosted bands like The White Stripes, Wilco, the Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Yo la Tengo, etc., but the shows there have been few and far between lately. I've heard that quite a few promoters had gotten sideways with the owners of the venue.

The Diamond Ballroom in S. OKC is an oversized room that is a dump, but at the same time has pretty decent sound. Lots of metal shows in its past, and it sort of keeps up that tradition today. But there have also been some pretty alt/indie stuff too. In recent years, I've seen the Shins, Shiny Toy Guns, The Rapture and others.

The other -- and recently unexplored -- option is the Farmer's Public Market building, which is probably the closest thing OKC has to Cain's ballroom (in fact, Bob Wills often played there). It has been undergoing significant renovation in the past few years, and playing host to multiple events, but not any concerts of note. That might be changing; I've heard some interesting rumors about a local promoter working on something pretty special for that place.

I've always thought that the Farmer's Market would be a great venue, again strikingly similar to Cain's, but that somewhere along the way they simply stopped booking shows there due to competing venues (Diamond, Civic Center, fairgrounds arena, etc.), while Cain's kept grinding away. I think Cain's continues to get great shows because they never stopped booking them, and a competing venue never emerged in T-town. That ended up being very fortunate for Tulsa and for Cain's because they never fell off the map, they kept relationships with promoters, and they instead attained "legendary" status.

i saw Buddy Guy at the Farmer's Market a couple of years ago... it was pretty cool

i can imagine people getting ****ed at the Bricktown Ballroom people though, the security guys were blatantly taking cash to let people into The Killers show when we were there, which i'm sure was already packed a bit since it was sold out. the way they dicked us over with will-call tickets at The White Stripes show in 2003 was hella lame as well. we had to wait in line next to the line that went around the building only to get our tickets and then go to the end of the other line

Scott D
1/29/2008, 01:31 PM
you need to learn man wall skills.

Viking Kitten
1/29/2008, 01:36 PM

Good grief.
So you're saying Yermom's joke was DOA?

GrapevineSooner
1/29/2008, 01:40 PM
How Everlong will you all have to wait?

Rhino
1/29/2008, 02:32 PM
The Diamond Ballroom in S. OKC is an oversized room that is a dump, but at the same time has pretty decent sound. Lots of metal shows in its past, and it sort of keeps up that tradition today. But there have also been some pretty alt/indie stuff too. In recent years, I've seen the Shins, Shiny Toy Guns, The Rapture and others. DCF just bought it. It's supposed to undergo renovations and expansion soon.

colleyvillesooner
1/29/2008, 02:34 PM
:mad:

psst. first album.

colleyvillesooner
1/29/2008, 02:37 PM
So you're saying Yermom's joke was DOA?

Almost took him behind the wattershed...

yermom
1/29/2008, 05:40 PM
well, maybe they come here again next year

colleyvillesooner
1/29/2008, 05:44 PM
Hopefully, cause I'm exhausted from all this waiting

BigRedJed
1/29/2008, 05:58 PM
BTW, when I said the Diamond had pretty decent sound, I meant when you stay within 75' or so of the stage. I don't recommend anything beyond that.

Boarder
1/29/2008, 06:25 PM
Any further back and stab risk goes up exponentially.

yermom
1/29/2008, 06:26 PM
i don't think i know that song either

birddog
1/29/2008, 08:05 PM
maybe next they're bound for aurora.

OUstud
1/29/2008, 09:08 PM
If Dave gets better and comes and plays OKC soon, he'll be My Hero.

StoopTroup
1/30/2008, 02:43 AM
The Wife and I saw the Foo at the Cains Ballroom for the 1st time....9 years ago.

Pat Smear was with them then.

He's back on tour with them again I hear.

Having PS with them, makes them even better IMHO.

We saw them again with the Red Hot Chilli Peppers in the Myriad also.

They are at their best when they do a small venue.

I'll always be a Dave Grohl fan.

tulsaoilerfan
2/3/2008, 11:26 AM
Got an email from ticketmaster today saying that the concert has been re-scheduled for Thursday July 17; that's quite a ways off but i figured it would be a while