PDA

View Full Version : Grand House Chinese Bistro

TopDaugIn2000
1/28/2008, 03:38 PM
Took a good friend of mine there for her Bday lunch yesterday. They have Dim Sum on Saturday and Sunday. It was DELISH. We tried about 10 different things, only disliked one of them cause it had a lot of cilantro in it. Other than that, I give it an A+.

M
1/28/2008, 03:39 PM
I <3 Grand House. If I had to go through life and subsist only on their friend pot stickers, I'd die happy.

Jimminy Crimson
1/28/2008, 03:41 PM
friend pot stickers

I prefer pigs that I didn't know in my pot stickers. Not friends. :pop:

TopDaugIn2000
1/28/2008, 03:43 PM
oh their pot stickers were AWESOME. Best I've had. And their shrimp stuffed jalepeno was really good too.

M
1/28/2008, 03:45 PM
I prefer pigs that I didn't know in my pot stickers. Not friends. :pop:

Ha, whoops! :P

Chuck Bao
1/28/2008, 03:46 PM
Good for you! Not to mention that it was probably all frozen stuff reheated in the microwave. You know you can order the exact same stuff over the interweb and do it at home just as easily.

TopDaugIn2000
1/28/2008, 03:54 PM
not all of us can be a ****in expert on asian food

BigRedJed
1/28/2008, 03:58 PM
My favorite dim sum in teh OKC.

silverwheels
1/28/2008, 03:59 PM
I haven't been there since a kid got shot in the chest in front of the restaurant a few years ago.

TopDaugIn2000
1/28/2008, 03:59 PM
must be why a security guy was walking around outside the whole time we were there....

M
1/28/2008, 04:00 PM
Grand House is one of the best Asian restaurants in OKC. A lot of their dishes are made from scratch.

TopDaugIn2000
1/28/2008, 04:02 PM
must be why it was filled with asian people. probably 2/3 to 3/4 asian patrons

M
1/28/2008, 04:03 PM
Oh, and be sure to eat there on a Friday night to hear the live jazz band play! :P

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/28/2008, 04:06 PM
I need to try Grand House. I love some good Dim Sum.

TopDaugIn2000
1/28/2008, 04:07 PM
I think it's Saturday and Sunday from 9-3, but you might want to make sure.

Chuck Bao
1/28/2008, 04:07 PM
not all of us can be a ****in expert on asian food

I didn't mean it like that. I'm not trying to be all "tastier than thou". In fact there is a shop selling frozen dim sum in the basement of my office building and their stuff is pretty kick ***. But it's kinda stupid for me to stock up my fridge because I get pretty good dim sum home delivery. That defeats the whole purpose of dim sum (yum cha), which should be enjoyed by family over a leisurely two-hour meal. It's an attiutude and way of life instead of a de-frosted meal. So, I stand corrected. I bad.

TopDaugIn2000
1/28/2008, 04:10 PM
you're forgiven. this time.

IB4OU2
1/28/2008, 04:12 PM
There's great DIM SUM in LA's China Town....they pushed all these little carts around and you'd just pick and choose. I didn't have a clue as to most of the items we were selecting but it was really good except for the fried duck feet.

Chuck Bao
1/28/2008, 04:20 PM
How can you have Yum Cha without duck web? I'm the nervous type and chewing on those duck web takes time. Besides that I'm downing that strong tea and I'm getting all...bring on the coagulated pork blood.

TopDaugIn2000
1/28/2008, 04:22 PM
umm, that's a little TOO authentic for me.

BigRedJed
1/28/2008, 04:25 PM
There's great DIM SUM in LA's China Town....they pushed all these little carts around and you'd just pick and choose. I didn't have a clue as to most of the items we were selecting but it was really good except for the fried duck feet.
Yeah, the best I ever had was in the Chinatown in Portland, Oregon. The best Chinese always seems to be in Pacific rim cities, I guess for obvious reasons.

Most of the "Chinese" places in this neck of the woods are actually run by Vietnamese folks, who call their places Chinese and stick mostly to Chinese-style dishes because most of us hillbillies feel more comfortable eating "Chinese" than "Vietnamese."

But heck, I love most all of it. If you're adventurous enough to eat at a place that acknowledges they are Vietnamese (even if they purport to be Chinese/Vietnamese), you can stumble across some fine vittles. There are some decent Thai places around, too. Frankly, I love the typical spiciness of Thai the most.

I think I'll have to track down some pho for dinner now...

Chuck Bao
1/28/2008, 04:26 PM
you're forgiven. this time.

You can be forgiven. Chinese food sucks in the US. The last inventions were chop sui and fortune cookies. If you want to pretend they are good, go ahead.

TopDaugIn2000
1/28/2008, 04:27 PM
I'm in love with korean food now too. that little place in MWC behind the casket store is AWESOME

Mjcpr
1/28/2008, 04:28 PM
I didn't mean it like that. I'm not trying to be all "tastier than thou". In fact there is a shop selling frozen dim sum in the basement of my office building and their stuff is pretty kick ***. But it's kinda stupid for me to stock up my fridge because I get pretty good dim sum home delivery. That defeats the whole purpose of dim sum (yum cha), which should be enjoyed by family over a leisurely two-hour meal. It's an attiutude and way of life instead of a de-frosted meal. So, I stand corrected. I bad.

No need to apologize, the SO is the place for you!!

TopDaugIn2000
1/28/2008, 04:29 PM
You can be forgiven. Chinese food sucks in the US. The last inventions were chop sui and fortune cookies. If you want to pretend they are good, go ahead.

Yes, I realize what we have here in the good ole US (especially in Okie land) isn't all authentic and stuff. But to me, Grand House is much better than the normal "squat and gobble" sweet and sour chicken serving places that pack the streets around these parts.

BigRedJed
1/28/2008, 04:29 PM
At the place in Portland, everyone, even the roundeyes, was using chopsticks. No silverware provided. A lady at the next table asked for a fork, and it was like one of the old E.F. Hutton commercials. The whole place screeched to a stop. I was glad that I was fairly practiced with chopsticks.

Around here, though, roundeyes eating with chopsticks generally looks pretty ridiculous. I stick to flatware most of the time.

TopDaugIn2000
1/28/2008, 04:32 PM
I always use chop sticks at a chinese/vietnamese/korean restuarant. slows me down, unlike the shovel I usually use.

silverwheels
1/28/2008, 04:35 PM
I'm part Asian so using chopsticks comes naturally to me. :D

TopDaugIn2000
1/28/2008, 04:36 PM
I do really good until I get to the rice....if it's not sticky I'm screwed

IB4OU2
1/28/2008, 04:40 PM
I must confess....I use chopsticks. :O

M
1/28/2008, 04:40 PM
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g258/DixieChickMissy/CityWok.jpg

BigRedJed
1/28/2008, 04:41 PM
It just feels/looks like pretension around here. I pretty much limit chopsticks to sushi eating in teh OKC. And Pei Wei, for some reason.

Chuck Bao
1/28/2008, 04:41 PM
I love Korean. Kimchi is like the best of all Asian foods. I think the whole point is that it is real and normal food. Many years ago, I read somewhere that Kimchi was like the acid test for new brides and being accepted by their Korean mother-in-law. I like that cultural real food thing. In other words, I like that whole cultural thing besides the great tastes.

BigRedJed
1/28/2008, 04:42 PM
Not saying anyone one here is being pretentious. I just feel like I am when everyone else is eating with a fork, and I'm using chopsticks.

silverwheels
1/28/2008, 04:47 PM
Not saying anyone one here is being pretentious. I just feel like I am when everyone else is eating with a fork, and I'm using chopsticks.

I feel like a ninja when I use chopsticks and everyone else is using forks.

Chuck Bao
1/28/2008, 04:48 PM
Yes, I realize what we have here in the good ole US (especially in Okie land) isn't all authentic and stuff. But to me, Grand House is much better than the normal "squat and gobble" sweet and sour chicken serving places that pack the streets around these parts.

I would very much like for you to try my food. It is very different from the "stir fry" my family seemed to have this pre-conceived idea about Asian cuisine. Even the whole "share" thing was different for them. With that being said, I would very much like to try Grand House. It sounds great!

TopDaugIn2000
1/28/2008, 04:49 PM
I'll try most anything once. within reason. pork blood, well, no. but most anything.

Mjcpr
1/28/2008, 04:50 PM
With that being said, I would very much like to try Grand House. It sounds great!

So we've had pretentiousness and now condescension. What's next? :D

LilSooner
1/28/2008, 04:51 PM
I puffy heart the Grand house, but I really puffy heart with glitter B-Won in Midwest City.

I love Korean food.

IB4OU2
1/28/2008, 04:52 PM
I learned how to use them when I would dine with my asian friends. It may have been a courtesy and or challenge at the time. I can't remember.

BigRedJed
1/28/2008, 04:55 PM
Mmm... ...pork blood...

BigRedJed
1/28/2008, 05:00 PM
I have a longtime friend who became pretty fluent in French (spent a semester living in France) and in Spanish. She would be talking to you and "accidentally" say a word in one of those languages in the middle of a sentence, and then "catch herself" and "struggle" to think of the correct word in English. :rolleyes:

I would feel like I was doing that type of thing if I were eating with chopsticks down at the local all-you-can-gorge Chinese buffet. Like I said though, I mos def use them for sushi. I'm really not even sure how you would eat sushi without them. With your hands? :eek:

TopDaugIn2000
1/28/2008, 05:03 PM
oh yeah, I gotta use a shovel at the squat and gobble places in order to get my $7 worth. ;)

silverwheels
1/28/2008, 05:06 PM
I mos def use them for sushi. I'm really not even sure how you would eat sushi without them. With your hands? :eek:

My Asian friends and I used to take one of our round-eyed friends to eat sushi with us every once in a while and he always used his hands. He was too lazy to learn how to use chopsticks.

TopDaugIn2000
1/28/2008, 05:08 PM
achmed always tried to use his hands when eating, even in nice restaurants. "it's a cultural thing" he'd say. apparently they don't have forks in uzf**kistan

BigRedJed
1/28/2008, 05:11 PM
Had he never heard the saying "when in Rome..."? I would strongly consider eating with my hands in his country if that's how everyone was doing it, and using a fork was weird/rude, but just the opposite is true here. I think the key should be to blend into your environment. Witness my chopsticks philosophy.

TopDaugIn2000
1/28/2008, 05:13 PM
exactly. when his family came here and his mom cooked couscous we all ate with our hands out of one huge bowl, cause that's how they do it at home. but out at amerikun restaurants, use a fork, ****er.

Chuck Bao
1/28/2008, 05:18 PM
So we've had pretentiousness and now condescension. What's next? :D

Humbleness? I'm trying to learn that. I mean the whole demeaning stuff about Asian rat/cat/dog stir fry when you're trying to introduce your family to some pretty good food that you enjoy.

And, really it is a freshness issue. Would you really expect to get great Mexican food in Asia?

I'm humble, god darn it!

TopDaugIn2000
1/28/2008, 05:19 PM
sure as hell can't get great chinese food in Germany....

I'll never make that mistake again

Chuck Bao
1/28/2008, 05:20 PM
The best food in the world is eaten by hands. Anyone who says that pizza is best eat my fork is like dead to me.

Chuck Bao
1/28/2008, 05:22 PM
I've tried a lot of Chinese food in Germany, unfortunately. But that was like 10-15 years ago.

BigRedJed
1/28/2008, 05:27 PM
The best food in the world is eaten by hands. Anyone who says that pizza is best eat my fork is like dead to me.
I agree.

RE: Chinese food overseas, I was pleasantly surprised by a place in London. Purty tasty. And London has the best Indian food I've ever eaten. Close second: Boston. I found an Indian place on Newbury Street that was unbelievable.

KC//CRIMSON
1/28/2008, 10:06 PM
I puffy heart the Grand house, but I really puffy heart with glitter B-Won in Midwest City.

I love Korean food.

Word. Are you down with Bibimbap? The bomb.:cool:

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=bibimbap&s=int&page=4

bluedogok
1/29/2008, 02:52 PM
I learned how to use them when I would dine with my asian friends. It may have been a courtesy and or challenge at the time. I can't remember.
I learned at a little restaurant by the office that we were working at in Tokyo. It was a little shop on a side street that sat maybe 20 people, the menu was all on boards in Kanji along the wall. They spoke no English and needless to say there were no American style utensils so I had a crash course in using chopsticks. It was some great food, we ate there a couple of times but the best was a Korean BBQ restaurant, of course it may have also been the 10,000 yen worth of Kirin that we went through that night.

M
1/29/2008, 03:22 PM
Here's some of the yummiest Korean food I ate about a month ago

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g258/DixieChickMissy/IMG_5178.jpg

TopDaugIn2000
1/29/2008, 03:22 PM
are scissors the new chopsticks????

M
1/29/2008, 03:25 PM

Heh. Actually those were so we could slice up some garlic cloves.

jeremy885
1/29/2008, 03:25 PM
Here's some of the yummiest Korean food I ate about a month ago

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g258/DixieChickMissy/IMG_5178.jpg

Benji NO!!!!!! :(

Chuck Bao
1/29/2008, 03:30 PM
I guess they're tongs, TopDaugIn200. They're doing it right, I think.

I hate when it's self grill or sukiyaki and they don't provide extra chopsticks or tongs to handle the raw beef and pork and stuff.

That's even more vile than dipping into shared food using your hands or chopsticks, in my opinion.

frankensooner
1/29/2008, 03:30 PM
LOL that is so funny you mentioned that, one time I did stab myself accidentially with a chop stick right in my eye! lol. They had to cut it out with surgical scissors.

M
1/29/2008, 03:34 PM
I guess they're tongs, TopDaugIn200. They're doing it right, I think.

I hate when it's self grill or sukiyaki and they don't provide extra chopsticks or tongs to handle the raw beef and pork and stuff.

That's even more vile than dipping into shared food using your hands or chopsticks, in my opinion.

Yes, they were being sanitary. See plate to the left. Trust me, I would have noticed if they weren't being mindful :P