PDA

View Full Version : Books that make you dumb

Ike
1/28/2008, 03:36 PM
http://booksthatmakeyoudumb.virgil.gr/

heh. While not greatly informative, this is still pretty interesting.

yermom
1/28/2008, 03:42 PM
The Bible?

ouch.

Ike
1/28/2008, 03:44 PM
The Bible?

ouch.

Note that since they simply pulled the data from facebook, there are two separate entries for the bible. One where people called it "The Holy Bible", and one where people just called it "The Bible". Statistically, colleges where people call it "The Holy Bible" when they list it as their favorite book have far lower SAT scores than those where people just call it "The Bible"

M
1/28/2008, 03:48 PM
The Color Purple/Their Eyes Were Watching God -

I can see that, as you can read a chapter and not have a clue as to what just happened.

Ike
1/28/2008, 03:51 PM
Also note that the guy (or girl) that made this page cannot claim that these books actually make you dumb...just that there is a correlation between the average SAT score at some college and the inclusion of a particular book into the "top 10" books for a college based on the number of people that listed the book on facebook.

So the low results from the bible *probably* stems from the fact that there are a crapload of Bible colleges out there that have considerably lower SAT requirements than say, Harvard. That there are also religious schools that do have significantly higher standards than the generic bible colleges out there unfortunately don't contribute very much simply because there are way more of the generic bible colleges.

soonerbrat
1/28/2008, 03:53 PM
I never took the SAT, so it doesn't matter what I read.

colleyvillesooner
1/28/2008, 03:55 PM
I never took the SAT, so it doesn't matter that I can't read.
fixed

colleyvillesooner
1/28/2008, 03:57 PM
Update: I changed Lolita from 'Erotica' and 'Pride and Prejudice' from 'Chick Lit' both to Classics. You Literature majors all lack any sense of humor.

heh

soonerbrat
1/28/2008, 04:07 PM
CVS, that's just mean. i told you not to tell anyone that I can't read.

colleyvillesooner
1/28/2008, 04:27 PM
So i guess telling everyone that Chick reads every post to you over the phone would be bad then too, huh?

Boarder
1/28/2008, 04:45 PM
CVS, thats just meen. i righted you a note that telled you not to say anyone that I caint reed.

huh?

Scott D
1/28/2008, 05:43 PM
why would a lit major have a sense of humor?

Composition majors have the sense of humor, or should it be humour? :D

goingoneight
1/28/2008, 11:08 PM
Where's Pat Jones's book? :D

StoopTroup
1/29/2008, 12:37 AM
The guy that pointed out that the list of books compiled in the "Books that make you dumb" list, is a very small list when compared to the list that most scholars would give if you asked them what they thought were the most important works.

The folks that got all ****y, crack me up.