PDA

View Full Version : Question about shadows in flat panel.

jkjsooner
1/28/2008, 02:53 PM
I was going to post this in the consolidated threat but I wasn't sure if it would be seen there....

I will soon buy a flat panel (LCD) high definition TV. However, I am concerned about the image quality I see on a lot of TV's - whether it's in my office lobby or at the gym. When I look at small text (like a scroller at the bottom of the screen), it almost always looks very rough with shadows or irregular edges. In many cases these may actually be standard def feeds. I'm not sure.

Is that common with pixelated displays? Is that a problem for you all who have flat panel HDTV's? I guess with a standard definition CRT the text might just be a little blurry which doesn't seem to bother me as much. Is this an issue with scaling the signal to the pixels? Am I being paranoid?

That brings up another question. Where did they come up with 720 and 1080? I know it has to do with bandwidth/bit rates, etc. It just doesn't make sense to me that there isn't a clear relationship between the two (other than being divisible by 80 which 480 is as well). It would seem making an easy scale from native resolution to pixels would be a huge benefit....

That being said, when you guys view a 720p signal on a TV with 1080 horizontal pixels, do you get wierd effects like I described with the small text?

85Sooner
1/28/2008, 03:06 PM
Usually display tvs in businesses are just the cheapest things they could find. They are not worried about quality in general. Sony or Pioneer are the leaders and look to hold their positions for quite a while since their last price adjustments.

Frozen Sooner
1/28/2008, 03:13 PM
I was going to post this in the consolidated threat but I wasn't sure if it would be seen there....

I will soon buy a flat panel (LCD) high definition TV. However, I am concerned about the image quality I see on a lot of TV's - whether it's in my office lobby or at the gym. When I look at small text (like a scroller at the bottom of the screen), it almost always looks very rough with shadows or irregular edges. In many cases these may actually be standard def feeds. I'm not sure.

Is that common with pixelated displays? Is that a problem for you all who have flat panel HDTV's? I guess with a standard definition CRT the text might just be a little blurry which doesn't seem to bother me as much. Is this an issue with scaling the signal to the pixels? Am I being paranoid?

That brings up another question. Where did they come up with 720 and 1080? I know it has to do with bandwidth/bit rates, etc. It just doesn't make sense to me that there isn't a clear relationship between the two (other than being divisible by 80 which 480 is as well). It would seem making an easy scale from native resolution to pixels would be a huge benefit....

That being said, when you guys view a 720p signal on a TV with 1080 horizontal pixels, do you get wierd effects like I described with the small text?

720=2/3 1080. 1080=2*540 (which is NTSC standard, not 480.)

1080 is not used to describe horizontal pixels. It is used to describe vertical scan lines.

If you're using a crappy scaler, then yes, you can get artifacting when a 1080i or p signal gets downscaled to 768p (which is the native resolution of almost all "720p" flat-panel displays.)

It's very likely most of the feeds you're seeing at the gym or other businesses are 540i NTSC feeds being scaled to 768p. Yeah, they're going to look like crap a lot of the time. Most flat panel scalers do a terrible job scaling 540i to 768p.

jkjsooner
1/28/2008, 11:28 PM
Thanks guys. After six years of looking at HD TV's I finally just went out and bought the TV I've been waiting to get. It was somewhat of a rash decision - as much as six years worth of dreaming and countless weeks of research can result in a rash decision.

It's the Sony Bravia KDL-40V3000. I'm very happy with it. The HD picture is great.