PDA

View Full Version : UFC 81

Boomer.....
1/28/2008, 02:19 PM
Lesnar vs. Mir
Sylvia vs. Nogueira
Also, David Heath out of Tulsa is fighting. Hopefully they will show that fight.

http://81.ufc.com/

:pop:

OU4LIFE
1/28/2008, 03:59 PM
Lesnar intrigues me. They guy has great wrestling skills, and he's HUGE, wouldbe hard to get him in a rear naked choke...he has no neck. He's been training with the Gracie's, and they've been bringing him along slow, not rushing him into the ring, so I'm thinking the guy has a shot to be very nasty...and Mir will test him.

Sooner_Bob
1/28/2008, 06:38 PM
Too bad Mir had that motorcycle wreck . . . he hasn't been the same since, but the dude has mad submissions and could be pretty tough for Brock.

I'm really surprised that so many folks are thinking he will walk all over Frank.

And in other news Tank Abbott is fighting Kimbo Slice on February 16 on Showtime.

KC//CRIMSON
2/3/2008, 12:29 AM
How awesome was that main event. What a warrior!

three Pride title holders, but who's counting?:D

Scott D
2/3/2008, 11:47 AM
And in other news Tank Abbott is fighting Kimbo Slice on February 16 on Showtime.

plenty of time for him to get wasted and end up in jail where he belongs...again.

Boomer.....
2/3/2008, 08:20 PM
I was bummed about the Lesnar fight. He was bashing his face in until that "timeout".

WEAK!

Sooner_Bob
2/3/2008, 10:19 PM
How awesome was that main event. What a warrior!

three Pride title holders, but who's counting?:D

(typical Sherdog poster)

PRIDE is no more . . . enough with the competition already.

Oh and Dana White sucks!

(/typical Sherdog poster)

:D

stonecoldsoonerfan
2/5/2008, 09:00 AM
plenty of time for him to get wasted and end up in jail where he belongs...again.

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/images/reputation/reputation_highpos.gif

:D

SoonerBBall
2/5/2008, 10:55 AM
Are we going to continue to act like Anderson Silva was a product of Pride? Seriously?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anderson_Silva

5 of 24 fights in Pride. That isn't a very convincing argument.

In other, relevant, news: Shogun and Liddell are fighting in May or June, most likely June 16th. That is pretty interesting.

KC//CRIMSON
2/5/2008, 09:56 PM
Are we going to continue to act like Anderson Silva was a product of Pride? Seriously?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anderson_Silva

5 of 24 fights in Pride. That isn't a very convincing argument.

In other, relevant, news: Shogun and Liddell are fighting in May or June, most likely June 16th. That is pretty interesting.

Are you going to continue to count his amateur time in Brazil? Silva got his name and professional start in Pride. He has said himself countless times he is a Pride fighter. He fought in Pride for three years. He fought in Rage Cage as a representive of Pride. Dana White himself called Silva a fighter from Japan who fights in Pride when he announced his fight with Leben. Silva trains and lives with ex Pride fighters.

Silva is a Pride fighter anyway you cut it. Period.

usmc-sooner
2/5/2008, 11:20 PM
technically they're all UFC fighters.

OU4LIFE
2/6/2008, 08:26 AM
Ok, I finally got to watch the Lesnar Mir fight last night....and srsly, stopping the fight for the back of the head punch and taking a point away was WAAAY off base. Mir turned his back to him as he was throwing the punch.

In one of the previous fights a guy was warned three freaking times, and they didn't stop that or take points away.

IMO he'd have finished Mir from that position without the refs interference.

SoonerBBall
2/6/2008, 10:49 AM
Are you going to continue to count his amateur time in Brazil? Silva got his name and professional start in Pride. He has said himself countless times he is a Pride fighter. He fought in Pride for three years. He fought in Rage Cage as a representive of Pride. Dana White himself called Silva a fighter from Japan who fights in Pride when he announced his fight with Leben. Silva trains and lives with ex Pride fighters.

Silva is a Pride fighter anyway you cut it. Period.

I'm very interested how his "amateur time" in Brazil is magically counted against his professional MMA record and why he fought a total of 5 Pride fights in 3 years, then came to the UFC before Pride was even dismantled. Sounds like a Pride guy to me....

SoonerBBall
2/6/2008, 10:50 AM
Ok, I finally got to watch the Lesnar Mir fight last night....and srsly, stopping the fight for the back of the head punch and taking a point away was WAAAY off base. Mir turned his back to him as he was throwing the punch.

In one of the previous fights a guy was warned three freaking times, and they didn't stop that or take points away.

Yeah, I bitched about that to my friends. I'm not sure Lesner would have finished the fight there, but it was clearly a case where he should have been warned and not immediately penalized. It wasn't like he was purposefully trying to slam Mir in the back of the head, and he only did it once.

KC//CRIMSON
2/7/2008, 02:08 AM
I'm very interested how his "amateur time" in Brazil is magically counted against his professional MMA record and why he fought a total of 5 Pride fights in 3 years, then came to the UFC before Pride was even dismantled. Sounds like a Pride guy to me....

He actually fought 12 fights as a Pride fighter in Pride and a Pride rep in Rage Cage promotions. Several UFC fighters have also fought in Rage Cage promotions. Bottom line is he got beat by a few nobodys in Pride and then beat the top guys in the UFC.

Sounds like a Pride guy to me too.....

3 out of 5 - it's killing you isn't it?:D

Sooner_Bob
2/7/2008, 08:09 AM

I see what you're saying but there's a huge difference between Tyson Griffin hitting you in the back of the head and Brock Lesnar hitting you in the back of the head.

Only Steve Mazzagotti can explain why he warned Tyson seemingly more than Brock. Besides, Brock was swinging uncontrollably anyway and was trying hit whatever he could. One good punch in the back of the head from Brock and most of us would probably turtle up like Mir started to.

Sooner_Bob
2/7/2008, 08:12 AM
Yeah, I bitched about that to my friends. I'm not sure Lesner would have finished the fight there, but it was clearly a case where he should have been warned and not immediately penalized. It wasn't like he was purposefully trying to slam Mir in the back of the head, and he only did it once.

If by once you mean three times then I agree. :D

Seriously, if you look at it you could argue there were three shots to the back of the head during that exchange. It's not about purpose. I would hope that anytime someone takes a shot to the junk that it's not on purpose, but by rule the fight is stopped to give time to recover. Same way with shots to the back of the head or kicks to a downed opponent.

Sooner_Bob
2/7/2008, 08:13 AM
technically they're all MMA athletes.

fixed ;)

OU4LIFE
2/7/2008, 08:19 AM
my point is, in the Griffin fight, they guy was clearly AIMING at the back of the head...three times, and was warned.

Lesnar wasn't aiming at ****, Mir turned and took ONE GOOD SHOT to the back of the head that CLEARLY wasn't intentional. IF there were other punches to the back of the head, they weren't obvious on the tape or replay I watched....and were glancing at best. Using the argument of weight class is weak. It shouldn't matter. It shouldn't be a subjective call.

Either way, Lesnar will be ridiculous to deal with and I'm still not convinced Mir is anywhere near he was when he had the title.

Sooner_Bob
2/7/2008, 08:31 AM
They weren't obvious because Brock was swinging like a mad man . . . really I think the majority of Brock's shots were glancing during that exchange. But with the size of Mir's head vs. the size of Brock's hands he's bound to hit something. :D

I don't know why he warned earlier and stood up this time. Maybe he learned from his mistake. Who knows.

I've seen refs let grabbing the fence go without a warning and then saw Tito get points taken away after he grabbed it for the 2nd or 3rd time against Rashaad Evans.

It shouldn't be a subjective call but sadly it often is.

Mir isn't back to the way he was before the motorcycle wreck, but he's as close as I've seen. Coming back the way he has I have a hard time cheering against the guy.

Brock needs to hook up with Greg Jackson or another camp and learn some submission defense if he truly wants to make an impact in the HW division.

OU4LIFE
2/7/2008, 08:48 AM
well he did say that they had been working on that exact thing, but as it was said earlier, in the heat of battle, if it's not habit, it goes out the window.

I still think he's a wrecking ball....once he get's some BJJ, I'd like to see him fight Monson...that'd be fun. Right know I think he'd get owned.

Sooner_Bob
2/7/2008, 10:09 AM
Very true. If it's not habit you resort to what you're comfortable with.

Lesnar vs. Monson would rawk . . . Jeff is a freaking wrecking ball.

Sooner_Bob
2/7/2008, 12:14 PM
Link (http://mmajunkie.com/page/2/) to Referee Steve Mazzagatti Discussing Lesnar-Mir Fight

Straight from the horses mouth . . .

SoonerBBall
2/7/2008, 05:41 PM
3 out of 5 - it's killing you isn't it?:D

I actually have no dog in the UFC/Pride thing. I think it is ridiculous to try to compare them because of the differences in the rule set. I just got fed up with the "Pride is l33t" guys on other forums. Rampage is my second favorite LHW (Forrest is my first, I'm really looking forward to that fight), I love Hendo's game, and I think Anderson Silva is a one man wrecking crew that will be very difficult to beat.

I also think, though, that the 2 of the 3 divisions that you speak of are not very strong in the UFC. Middleweight had Franklin and that was it and Heavyweight only had Coture after the Tim S. stopped swinging and started leaning, and Andre A. stopped getting scheduled for fights. Crocop didn't add nearly as much as he should have to the division and now Nog is pretty much the only really great HW in the UFC.

Regardless, I'm really excited about the upcoming MMA fights, and now that Cox has restored their HD PPV feed, I'll be continuously feeding my habit.