PDA

View Full Version : Prayers needed for Mizzou player...

Collier11
1/28/2008, 11:42 AM
...The fact is that he did get in a fight and was probably somewhere he shouldnt have been but the guy is in serious condition so lets help him out a little

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/mizzou/story/EFA43570BBFDFC65862573DE001927A0?OpenDocument

Collier11
1/28/2008, 11:43 AM
COLUMBIA, MO. — Missouri senior point guard Stefhon Hannah is in serious condition at University Hospital, according to a hospital representative, after undergoing surgery to repair a broken jaw sustained in a fight outside of Athena Night Club in Columbia early Sunday morning.

Hannah could not provide the Columbia Police with any information regarding the incident or his assailant.

"According to him (Hannah), he got caught up in the middle of the disturbance," said Sgt. Don Hawkins, who was reading from the police report. "And while attempting to back out of the disturbance, he was struck in the head by an unknown object. He had no description of anyone who struck him, nor did he know anything about the disturbance."

Hannah was moved from the surgical intensive care unit at University Hospital to another area of the hospital for surgery patients Sunday evening. Missouri coaches and players visited Hannah on Sunday afternoon and he was lucid and talkative, a Missouri representative said.

Hannah, the team's starting point guard, is expected to miss at least four to six weeks — the rest of the Tigers' regular season.

"After speaking with Stefhon and folks from the hospital, we have the understanding that the surgery was a success and for that, we are grateful," Missouri coach Mike Anderson said in a statement. "While our primary concern in this case is Stefhon's well-being, we will go through the process of gathering facts surrounding this incident and we will proceed appropriately."

Hawkins said Hannah, 22, was found unconscious outside of Athena Night Club at 1100 Locust Street when police responded to a disturbance at 1:07 a.m. Hannah regained consciousness and was taken to the emergency room at University Hospital by ambulance and interviewed by police after he arrived. The police report stated that he did not have any visible wounds and there was no blood.

The police report stated 20 to 30 people were interviewed by the Columbia Police outside of Athena but provided no information about what led to Hannah's injuries.

"That happens a little too often," said Hawkins. "No one stepped forward and no one provided any information to the officers, apparently. So I don't know what this was about, and he (Hannah) didn't help himself if he knew anything."

The incident occurred just hours after Missouri returned from defeating Colorado 66-62 in Boulder, Colo., on Saturday afternoon. Hannah scored the final three points of the game, including a layup off a steal with 29 seconds remaining. He finished with 13 points.

Hannah is the fifth player to be involved in an incident since Anderson took over the Tigers nearly two years ago. Mike Anderson Jr. was cited for driving under the influence in February 2007, forward DeMarre Carroll was shot in the ankle outside of a Columbia nightclub, former forward Kalen Grimes was dismissed from the team after hitting a man in the face with the butt of a shotgun in St. Louis last July, and in September, forward Darryl Butterfield was arrested for striking his girlfriend in a domestic dispute. After Carroll's incident in July, Anderson instituted a no-tolerance policy aimed at keeping his players out of bars. It is unclear whether Hannah will face any punishment for violating that policy.

"When I took this job, one of the things I said was that we were going to be a program that did it the right way on and off the floor," Anderson told the Post-Dispatch after the Carroll incident. "They're here for hopefully two things, and that's to get an education and to play basketball. I think there's enough social atmosphere on campus, but a lot of things take place late at night, and they're generally not good."

Curly Bill
1/28/2008, 03:14 PM
a lot of things take place late at night, and they're generally not good."

...but sometimes they are. ;)

AZSoonerCat
1/28/2008, 06:19 PM
...but sometimes they are. ;)

Location, location, location.

But on a serious note, that is really sad. I hope he recovers.

birddog
1/28/2008, 08:38 PM
he's been upgaded to "good".

GrapevineSooner
1/28/2008, 08:46 PM
Nothing good happens between 1:00 am and 5:00 am.

I hope the kid recovers, though, and learned a valuable lesson.

birddog
1/28/2008, 08:47 PM
that's why you bust your arse til midnight to get the fun to come back to your place from 1-5 am.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/30/2008, 10:17 AM
Well Anderson at MU suspended not just Hannah, who isn't going to be playing anytime soon anyway, but also 4 other players including a couple other starters. They are down to 6 scholarship players and 2 walkons.

That might make the whole 40 minutes of hell a bit problematic.

They are playing Neb though so they have a chance..

skycat
2/1/2008, 06:25 PM
Horton was arrested for assault today.

Andy Katz had reported that the "indefinite" suspensions would be lifted for tomorrow's game. No word on whether that was/still is true.

Collier11
2/1/2008, 06:30 PM
People have got to start realizing that they have a good thing and if the rules are to stay out of the clubs then just stay out of them! It shouldnt be that hard! I still feel bad for the guy!

Big Red Ron
2/2/2008, 03:17 PM
:D
he's been upgaded to "good".certainly better than being bedowngraded.

Collier11
2/2/2008, 03:51 PM
This Mizzou team has come together with all these supsensions, lost by 4 with only 7 players to Neb and just Beat Kstate at home

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/3/2008, 11:36 PM
This Mizzou team has come together with all these supsensions, lost by 4 with only 7 players to Neb and just Beat Kstate at home

Actually 8 players, including 2 walk-ons against Neb. Neb is a terrible road team. MU probably beats them by 15 at full strength.

I think KSU pretty much mailed one in after getting their biggest win in 25 years against KU. MU played hard but I think it had as much to do with KSU not showing up to play.

Other than maybe at Neb I can't see MU winning a game away from their home floor the rest of the way. They still have to play KU,KSU,Bay and OU.

Anderson really had no choice but to suspend the players. After 4 previous incidents since he took over there was a widely reported Zero Tolerance policy. If there weren't suspensions handed down then he would have lost all control of the program.

Collier11
2/4/2008, 01:05 AM
Anderson is at a crucial point of being the Mizzou coach or being ran out of town, he needs to take control of this team discipline wise and winning some big time Missouri recruits that Mizzou has been losing nationally lately!

skycat
2/4/2008, 10:46 AM
Two of the suspended players did indeed play on Saturday. Good win for Mizzou.

K-State played terribly down the stretch, but the Tigers still had to make some tough shots to pull it out.

soonerloyal
2/4/2008, 10:50 PM
Prayers for this young man, and for a speedy & full recovery.

skycat
2/5/2008, 12:25 AM
All of the players (except Hannah) including Horton who was arrested on Friday, were available in the loss against Kansas tonight.

So much for "zero tolerance"

birddog
2/5/2008, 04:48 AM
i really enjoy watching mizzou play. i know they won't be winning any national championships with their style of play but it certainly beats some of the knock down drag out we see alot in the big 12, big 10 etc.

Collier11
2/5/2008, 12:10 PM
All of the players (except Hannah) including Horton who was arrested on Friday, were available in the loss against Kansas tonight.

So much for "zero tolerance"

two players who were just there but not involved were suspended 1 game, 3 players who were involved were suspended 2 games...we really dont know the level of their involvement, the rumors floating around were that Hannah got jumped and they jumped in so if that is the case the punishment fits the crime IMO

skycat
2/5/2008, 12:21 PM
Much was made about Anderson's "zero tolerance" policy after 3-4 off court arrests dating back to last summer. Now a player has an assault charge pending for an incident that occured after the team's well-publicized curfew and he is playing.

Another player involved in the incident whose indefinite suspension has been lifted was arrested for domestic assault earlier this year.

Just the facts.

Civicus_Sooner
2/5/2008, 12:21 PM
:D certainly better than being bedowngraded.heh

Collier11
2/5/2008, 12:34 PM
Much was made about Anderson's "zero tolerance" policy after 3-4 off court arrests dating back to last summer. Now a player has an assault charge pending for an incident that occured after the team's well-publicized curfew and he is playing.

Another player involved in the incident whose indefinite suspension has been lifted was arrested for domestic assault earlier this year.

Just the facts.

Im not arguing, just telling that people close to the program and the national people are lauding Anderson for his tough stance so I just assume that they know something that we dont know??