PDA

View Full Version : For the record...

Okla-homey
1/27/2008, 09:09 AM
I have chosen my guy.

http://aycu37.webshots.com/image/43516/2001961181027712754_rs.jpg (http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2001961181027712754)

Flagstaffsooner
1/27/2008, 09:14 AM
yup, me too.

Is it just me, or does Hukabee look like RMN?

SanJoaquinSooner
1/27/2008, 09:44 AM
Good choice.

SoonerBorn68
1/27/2008, 09:55 AM
Good choice.

If this guy agrees--it's the wrong choice.

SoonerStormchaser
1/27/2008, 09:57 AM
I'll support whomever the Republican nominee is. At this point, there's things about all of them I don't like. I just hope whoever it is can beat the pants off of HRC/BHO.

Okla-homey
1/27/2008, 10:17 AM
I'll support whomever the Republican nominee is. At this point, there's things about all of them I don't like. I just hope whoever it is can beat the pants off of HRC/BHO.

IMHO, McCain is the most electable guy in the elephant herd. That's why I'm going with him. He's moderate on many social issues, but has taken a firm stance on the most important issues to me; GWOT, support for veterans, 2d amendment rights, leaving healthcare alone. He also gets a cred in my book for five years in the Hanoi Hilton. His service at the tip of the spear makes him a "do-er," not a "talker."

McCain v. HRC could be a nail-biter. McCain v. BHO would be a blow-out win for John.

VeeJay
1/27/2008, 10:28 AM
McCain sometimes tries to come off as a one-liner quipping Ronald Reagan - and it doesn't work for him. He seems a litle uncomfortable in that role.

I'd have no trouble supporting him 100% over Clinton, Barack, or that boob John Edwards. If anyone can reach across the aisle - and McCain has done it plenty - he's the man. A McCain presidency may soothe the seething hatred and polarization that exists between the two parties. IMO, that is desperately needed. A HRC presidency, with Chief Finger Wagger popping up at every turn, would only serve to alienate us worstest than we are now.

Bill's a$s chewing of reporters is a tired old act when he doesn't like the line of questioning. Doesn't he have a Foundation in Harlem to run? Who's minding the store while he's out stumping for the missus?

Okla-homey
1/27/2008, 01:05 PM
McCain sometimes tries to come off as a one-liner quipping Ronald Reagan - and it doesn't work for him. He seems a litle uncomfortable in that role.

I'd have no trouble supporting him 100% over Clinton, Barack, or that boob John Edwards. If anyone can reach across the aisle - and McCain has done it plenty - he's the man. A McCain presidency may soothe the seething hatred and polarization that exists between the two parties. IMO, that is desperately needed. A HRC presidency, with Chief Finger Wagger popping up at every turn, would only serve to alienate us worstest than we are now.

Bill's a$s chewing of reporters is a tired old act when he doesn't like the line of questioning. Doesn't he have a Foundation in Harlem to run? Who's minding the store while he's out stumping for the missus?

IMHO, Bill's stumping, lambastes and other assorted screeds in defense of their co-presidency seems rather inconsistent with the notion HRC is a big girl, can take care of herself and is ready to be the decider-in-chief.

Big Red Ron
1/27/2008, 01:13 PM
If this guy agrees--it's the wrong choice.Nah, even a broken clock is right twice a day.

King Crimson
1/27/2008, 01:16 PM
IMHO, Bill's stumping, lambastes and other assorted screeds in defense of their co-presidency seems rather inconsistent with the notion HRC is a big girl, can take care of herself and is ready to be the decider-in-chief.

i'd agree with that. though, i think Hillary turns off *a lot* of people on her own just because she seems like an unpleasant person.

though, i couldn't get real excited about McCain either. he seems like only marginally better than a GOP version of Dick Gephardt. kind of a survivor but not real exciting.

he's taken some interesting positions on the FCC and opening up licenses for small, independent broadcast, though. I'll give him that.

Petro-Sooner
1/27/2008, 01:18 PM
Whats McCains views on shutting the border down? Thats a big issue for me.

Big Red Ron
1/27/2008, 01:19 PM
I have chosen my guy.

http://aycu37.webshots.com/image/43516/2001961181027712754_rs.jpg (http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2001961181027712754)BTW, welcome to the club, Sir. "What's eight years between friends?";)

Big Red Ron
1/27/2008, 01:23 PM
Whats McCains views on shutting the border down? Thats a big issue for me.Essentially, build a wall. Find all employed illegals, make them pay some pretty stout fines. Then they apply for naturalization, while they continue at their jobs with a work visa. They go to the back of the line for citizenship, then eventually they become full citizens. All unemployed or criminal illegals found are deported.

It's actually the only really thought out position on our side.

StoopTroup
1/27/2008, 01:59 PM
I quit voting Republican after G.H. Bush let up on Saddam.

I never voted for Clinton.

If the Repubs make McCain their man...

He's the best Candidate IMHO.

Okla-homey
1/27/2008, 02:19 PM
Whats McCains views on shutting the border down? Thats a big issue for me.

The guy is from AZ. He "gets it." I believe he favors ensuring the ones who are here are carrying their own weight in terms of taxes, and allowing them to become legal if they do so. This, while keeping new illegals out. IMHO, that is the most practical approach to the problem. As I've stated here before, we aren't about to round up 20 million people who haven't broken any other law and put them in camps enroute to deportation. That's just crazy talk.

from his website:

As president, I will secure the border. I will restore the trust Americans should have in the basic competency of their government. A secure border is an essential element of our national security. Tight border security includes not just the entry and exit of people, but also the effective screening of cargo at our ports and other points of entry.

But a secure border will contribute to addressing our immigration problem most effectively if we also:

- Recognize the importance of building strong allies in Mexico and Latin America who reject the siren call of authoritarians like Hugo Chavez, support freedom and democracy, and seek strong domestic economies with abundant economic opportunities for their citizens.

- Recognize the importance of a flexible labor market to keep employers in business and our economy on top. It should provide skilled Americans and immigrants with opportunity. Our education system should ensure skills for our younger workers, and our retraining and assistance programs for displaced workers must be modernized so they can pursue those opportunities

- Recognize the importance of assimilation of our immigrant population, which includes learning English, American history and civics, and respecting the values of a democratic society.

Jimminy Crimson
1/27/2008, 04:46 PM
Wise choice, homester.

SicEmBaylor
1/27/2008, 05:23 PM
I have chosen my guy.

http://aycu37.webshots.com/image/43516/2001961181027712754_rs.jpg (http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2001961181027712754)

Figures.

SicEmBaylor
1/27/2008, 05:24 PM
If this guy agrees--it's the wrong choice.
B-I-N-G-O

jk the sooner fan
1/27/2008, 06:39 PM
imo McCain as president is tantamount to ****ing on a dead cat

wont hurt it, wont help it

Okla-homey
1/27/2008, 07:13 PM
imo McCain as president is tantamount to ****ing on a dead cat

wont hurt it, wont help it

Eight years of McCain would ensure no uber-libs on the Supreme Court for the foreseeable future. You let BHO get in there and whoa nelly!

stoops the eternal pimp
1/27/2008, 07:21 PM
I m not sure who I will vote for. I m registered democrat but I have not voted for a democrat outside of the local city stuff in a while...Homey, we seem to have similar views on a number of things. What sets this guy apart?

XingTheRubicon
1/27/2008, 07:44 PM
Agreed. Anyone who refuses to leave a POW camp to keep from leaving his men behind is light years ahead of anyone in this race.

JohnnyMack
1/27/2008, 07:47 PM
I think he's just this side of crazy. I think he steamrolls Clinton and ends up in a dogfight with Obama.

My rankings (right now) are:

1. Romney
2. Obama
3. McCain
4. A dead hamster
5. Hillary

Okla-homey
1/27/2008, 07:49 PM
I m not sure who I will vote for. I m registered democrat but I have not voted for a democrat outside of the local city stuff in a while...Homey, we seem to have similar views on a number of things. What sets this guy apart?

I'll be very candid with you because I think you honestly want to know my opinion. I think he's the most electable guy the elephants have. He's not a rock star and he doesn't evoke gushing and passionate responses from his base, but he's tried and true and can get things done on the Hill when he must.

Given the donks seem almost predisposed to pick whack-jobs or extreme lefties, John is prolly the closest thing to a "moderate" in the race. I like moderation in my presidents. That said, I think he'll hang tough on the really important stuff like defense.

As an aside, his father was Chief of Naval Operations (CNO) [thats the head naval officer] and John himself was a squadron commander of the biggest strike squadron in the Navy. He was shot down and endured a hellish captivity for five years in Hanoi. As was mentioned above, because his dad was a four star admiral, Victor Charles offered to let him out early. He told Charlie to pound sand because he wasn't leaving until they all walked out of there together. See, that's the sort of thing that evidences character in my book.

What's more, I personally respect the heck out of Frank Keating and he's endorsed John.

All in all, I thought a long time about it, read as much as possible, and decided to pitch in for John. You do what you want. The cool thing is, with the innerweb, its not too difficult to learn a bunch about each guy.

GottaHavePride
1/27/2008, 08:15 PM
I think he's just this side of crazy. I think he steamrolls Clinton and ends up in a dogfight with Obama.

Yup. I still think Barack Obama is far more electable than Hillary, and I think that will show more the longer this campaign goes on.

That said, I've got too much to do to follow primary campaigns, plus I'm registered independent since I'm convinced both parties are composed of 90% idiots and/or people that just want to "win".

So I'll see y'all at the actual election. ;)

JohnnyMack
1/27/2008, 08:34 PM
Oh and in response to the original post in this thread, it has to be the most shocking suprise since we found out Liberace was gay.

swardboy
1/27/2008, 08:54 PM
I certainly give my props to McCain's war service. However, the guy scares me on social issues. It took a deluge of public opinion to make him a border "hawk." Up until then he just wanted to legalize the present outlaws, with border security a distant second consideration. He "flip-flopped" on this one. He admits it. McCain-Feingold reeks. He was under an ethics revue years ago. He ditched his first wife for a corporate biggie....it don't smell right to me.

SicEmBaylor
1/27/2008, 08:58 PM
I certainly give my props to McCain's war service. However, the guy scares me on social issues. It took a deluge of public opinion to make him a border "hawk." Up until then he just wanted to legalize the present outlaws, with border security a distant second consideration. He "flip-flopped" on this one. He admits it. McCain-Feingold reeks. He was under an ethics revue years ago. He ditched his first wife for a corporate biggie....it don't smell right to me.

His so-called "straight talk" isn't quite straight enough to admit the obvious -- his immigration bill is amnesty.

critical_phil
1/28/2008, 12:54 AM

My rankings (right now) are:

1. Romney
2. Obama
3. McCain
4. A dead hamster
5. Hillary

mixed in with that lot, the dead hamster is looking pretty good.

SicEmBaylor
1/28/2008, 02:03 AM
That's the God's honest truth.

swardboy
1/28/2008, 07:45 AM

Personally, I can't wait for the the new governor of Louisiana to complete his first term fast enough.....Bobbie is da man!!!!!!!

Hamhock
1/28/2008, 08:44 AM
Essentially, build a wall.

link?

OUDoc
1/28/2008, 09:21 AM
Where can I contribute to it's election campaign?

Hamhock
1/28/2008, 10:05 AM
what do you have against Ron Paul, srsly?

TheHumanAlphabet
1/28/2008, 11:06 AM
Unless he changes his stance on illegals, I won't vote for him. I may have to pass this election - a first. I will not vote for anyone that would allow amnesty.

sooner_born_1960
1/28/2008, 11:07 AM
Essentially, build a hedge.

MrJimBeam
1/28/2008, 11:24 AM
what do you have against Ron Paul, srsly?
The problem I have with Ron Paul is he came from outer space and therefore should not be allowed to run for President. You have to be born here to run for POTUS.

That and he's for losing the war.

crawfish
1/28/2008, 11:50 AM

We trained and armed the Taliban against the USSR, only to find them supporting terrorism against us later. We trained and armed Saddam Hussein's Iraq against Iran, only to have to depose him years later. I wonder what future enemies we're now training and arming to fight us in the next 10-20 years?

Nobody will win this war, except for the people getting rich off of military and weapons contracts. I'd be all for winning a real war. I'm tired of spending money and losing lives for manufactured ones.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/28/2008, 12:00 PM
I WILL vote for Paul in the TX primary. After that, I have no idea.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/28/2008, 12:02 PM

I fully support the soldiers and their tasks, whatever that is and wherever they are sent. I however, have lost support of the reasons to be in Iraq and do not think we can leave Iraq without a civil war or sectarian violence breaking out when we leave. I fear Iran will suck up that vacuum and make Iraq a defacto Iranian/terrorist state.

I have lost much faith in the gov't and the military industrial complex...

dolemitesooner
1/28/2008, 12:05 PM
Mcain don't have a chance in hell.

Hamhock
1/28/2008, 12:15 PM
ron paul wants to withdraw from the UN

JohnnyMack
1/28/2008, 12:23 PM
IMHO, McCain is the most electable guy in the elephant herd. That's why I'm going with him. He's moderate on many social issues, but has taken a firm stance on the most important issues to me; GWOT, support for veterans, 2d amendment rights, leaving healthcare alone. He also gets a cred in my book for five years in the Hanoi Hilton. His service at the tip of the spear makes him a "do-er," not a "talker."

I see McCain as being W all over again. He'll drag out Iraq as long as he feels like it, he's not that well liked by his own party and will be facing a Congress that the Democrats control. I can't see him getting anything accomplished.

Hamhock
1/28/2008, 01:10 PM
I can't see him getting anything accomplished.

don't you think this can be said about Romney, Huckabee, Mccain, Clinton, Obama, Edwards?

JohnnyMack
1/28/2008, 01:15 PM
don't you think this can be said about Romney, Huckabee, Mccain, Clinton, Obama, Edwards?

I honestly think that of the 4 remaining viable candidates that McCain will have the toughest time getting anything accomplished. I think even Hillary would be more effective than McCain (I just won't vote for her because I think she's the worst kind of power hungry yainch) in terms of moving forward.

Just my opinion I suppose.

Sooner_Bob
1/28/2008, 01:16 PM
Yup. I still think Barack Obama is far more electable than Hillary, and I think that will show more the longer this campaign goes on.

That said, I've got too much to do to follow primary campaigns, plus I'm registered independent since I'm convinced both parties are composed of 90% idiots and/or people that just want to "win".

So I'll see y'all at the actual election. ;)

When we moved I registered as an Indy myself . . . don't have to worry about the primaries.

I might change my affiliation back to republican depending on how this thing plays out.

Okla-homey
1/28/2008, 01:51 PM
Bottomline my friends...vote for whom you want. Please, just vote. It's your duty.

I wish we had better options than the current field of candidates, but these are the cards we've been dealt. I just picked the one I'm going with in view of the fact Ronaldus Maximus and Abe Lincoln are dead.;)

After February 5, it will be down to two candidates.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/28/2008, 02:15 PM
ron paul wants to withdraw from the UN

Hell! I'm for that big time...