PDA

View Full Version : Real Sports-Reggie Bush--Recorded phone calls

The_Red_Patriot
1/27/2008, 04:39 AM
Thank you Yahoo Sports!! Keep fighting the fight.

Lloyd Lake recorded phone calls between him and Bush's father.

Here you go.. HBO Real sports

Part 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tnkAI2xZ3r8

Part 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vr7EWvuSY8&feature=related

Flagstaffsooner
1/27/2008, 05:04 AM
Good stuff. I hope they hang 'em high.

KantoSooner
1/27/2008, 09:18 AM
USC today, SMU 30 years ago.

And, hopefully, the effect will be about the same.

Spray
1/27/2008, 10:16 AM
One thing I hope people remember- Lloyd Lake is not a sympathetic character either- he's a scumbag, too. His types could just as easily be hanging around Norman dangling cash at OU players.

Further, how messy could this get if it was determined that the money Lake gave Bush was dirty- drug money. I find it hard to believe that Lake had $30,000 legitimate dollars laying around after he got out of prison on drug charges to buy Bush a car.

SOONER STEAKER
1/27/2008, 12:45 PM
Very srong stuff, USC will vacate same games, A National Championship and a Heisman. Keep pounding NCAA, keep pounding.

MamaMia
1/27/2008, 01:07 PM
My stars! So, what is the NCAA waiting for? Have they issued a report or some kind of an update?

goingoneight
1/27/2008, 01:25 PM
Nothing.

Will.

Happen.

MamaMia
1/27/2008, 01:27 PM
Nothing.

Will.

Happen. Surely, something has to happen. :confused:

SOONER STEAKER
1/27/2008, 01:39 PM
Who can tell with the NCAA, that's why they are still digging for more info. I think they are looking for just more thn Bush, I think the NCAA wants to hammer SUC. Keep digging NCAA, keep digging.

Thay may also be looking into the McKnight-Bush phone call as well.

KingDavid
1/27/2008, 01:42 PM
Nothing.

Will.

Happen.

I used to think that. But the groundswell is too strong, now. I think at this point the NCAA will have to do something or risk losing the last shreds of credibility they have... if they have any, that is.

colleyvillesooner
1/27/2008, 02:04 PM
I'll believe something is going to happen when USC gets that official "Letter of Inquiry"

goingoneight
1/27/2008, 02:15 PM
It can simply be swept under the "he's just a crazy ex-con" rug as far as Lloyd Lake is concerned. Also, there is a statue of limitations for something to be done and we aren't getting any farther away from it.

MamaMia
1/27/2008, 04:03 PM
So, are some of you saying that you believe the NCAA has some sort of infatuation with USC?

SoonerBOI
1/27/2008, 04:23 PM
The fact that USC "could" face NCAA sanctions and possibly fewer televised games or no bowl games from the Bush scandal could affect a huge investment ESPN has made in USC and the Pac-10.

KingDavid
1/27/2008, 05:07 PM
So, are some of you saying that you believe the NCAA has some sort of infatuation with USC?

Nahh. Infatuation is too weak of a term. Not sure what I'd use here, but given how much the NCAA has at stake in keeping the fan base in the Pacific time zone on their tvs (who else really commands that sort of broad-based fan appeal West of Texas?), I'd say they're probably married or at least pregnant.

85sooners
1/27/2008, 05:15 PM
:pop:

The VIIIth
1/27/2008, 05:58 PM
I used to think that. But the groundswell is too strong, now. I think at this point the NCAA will have to do something or risk losing the last shreds of credibility they have... if they have any, that is.

I agree with you 100%, the interest is now on both coasts and with so much pressure the NCAA will be compelled to do something. This recent article from the Orlando Sentinel newspaper illustrates the point and also sheds some light on what is going on with the NCAA investigation...

viii

Reggie Bush can run, but USC can't hide:pop:

David Whitley | SPORTS COMMENTARY
January 24, 2008
Reggie Bush's Heisman Trophy has been sent back for alterations. Instead of a stiff-arm, it will be holding its hand out for cash.

That's the increasingly obvious conclusion if you've been following this saga. It's full of sadness for USC fans, and the biggest injustice is how they'll pay a larger price than Bush.

The NCAA can't touch him now. If it could, it would have had to reach this week to the Sundance Film Festival, where Bush was making the rounds with socialite girlfriend Kim Kardashian.

David Whitley Bio | E-mail | Recent columns In case you're not up on such things, she's the daughter of Robert Kardashian. He was the lawyer standing in front of O.J. Simpson when the verdict was read. The "I Can't Believe It!" look on his face is forever priceless.

Kardashian died in 2003, but his daughters live on with the reality show Keeping Up With The Kardashians. I've never had the pleasure of watching, but last season's shows revolved around Kim posing for Playboy, Khloe getting arrested for DUI and Kourtney having a pregnancy scare.

Meanwhile, Bush was the subject of an HBO Real Sports with Bryant Gumbel story Tuesday night. A book has just been published detailing the payoffs he received while in college.

It's quite the scandal, but most of America seems more interested in keeping up with the Kardashians. That's a shame because Bush serves as a classic cautionary tale to college football fans.

The way the system is set up, the guilty often go free and the innocent are left to pay the price. That will be the case if the NCAA finds Bush took almost $300,000 during his senior season.

That also presumes USC didn't know about it, a leap of logic we'll get to in a minute. But there seems to be little doubt Bush was on the take.

His main accuser is Lloyd Lake, an ex-con-turned-agent. Lake isn't the most credible witness, but he was smart enough to tape conversations he had with Bush and his family.

"I got cash. You can prove nothing," said LaMar Griffin, Bush's stepfather.

Documents also show he got to live in a $750,000 home. All this is spelled out in the book Tarnished Heisman, by Tallahassee-based writers Don Yaeger and Jim Henry.

The NCAA has been investigating the case since 2005, but Lake didn't come forward until late last year. Yaeger has listened to the tapes and says they are highly incriminating.

"Reggie Bush made more money that year than June Jones did coaching Hawaii," he said. The question then becomes whether USC knew about the money. Or did it not want to know?

In his last season on campus, Bush upgraded from a junky truck to a tricked-out Impala. That doesn't mean he was guilty of anything, but USC apparently didn't even think it was worth looking into.

"Bush just completely thumbed his nose at everybody," Yaeger said.

USC is pleading ignorance, and the defense might work. Either way, if the NCAA finds Bush guilty, USC will probably have to forfeit games from 2004 and 2005. Bye-bye national championship.

It would also face sanctions, including possible scholarship reductions and bowl bans. That means players who were in high school when Bush was at USC will be punished. As will fans who had no idea just how slick Bush really was as he made all those tacklers miss.

As for Bush, he could have to give back the 2005 Heisman, since technically he would have been ineligible to even play. Some of his corporate sponsors might not like that, but Bush isn't likely to suffer too much.

He has a $60 million contract. His jersey is one of the NFL's hottest sellers. He's hanging out with the Beautiful People, and nobody seems to be all that upset.

Maybe the book and HBO will generate a little outrage, but I'm skeptical. It reminds me of an early episode of Keeping Up With The Kardashians.

What is it about ex-USC tailbacks who won Heismans and are accused of very questionable behavior?

In the end, they always seem to get away with it.

soonerhubs
1/27/2008, 08:30 PM
It's funny to see all the comments posted after that article defending Bush. What state would you think they are from? :D

Soonerfan88
1/27/2008, 08:39 PM
The "Letter of Inquiry" has already been sent and the NCAA is currently conducting its investigation. But no one is getting much information because USC is a private institution and therefore not subject to FOIA. So the LA Times can't get copies of all the documents flowing back and forth like DO did with OU. Exactly how cooperative USC or the Pac-10 has been we also don't know.

The NCAA is currently waiting on the depositions and other evidence from the Lake/Bush trial. This is info the NCAA would be unable to demand on its own as they have no subpoena power.

tulsaoilerfan
1/27/2008, 09:27 PM
Reggie Bush will never amount to more than a mediocre RB in the NFL; all hype, no substance

KantoSooner
1/27/2008, 09:36 PM
It's funny to see all the comments posted after that article defending Bush. What state would you think they are from? :D

A state of denial?

Dan Thompson
1/27/2008, 10:04 PM
Without Bush knowing that the phones are record, Lake broke the law. Remember the gal that recorded the Monica phone calls, I think she was convicted.

soonerhubs
1/27/2008, 10:11 PM
Without Bush knowing that the phones are record, Lake broke the law. Remember the gal that recorded the Monica phone calls, I think she was convicted.
Doesn't that depend on the state?

Sooner_Havok
1/27/2008, 10:26 PM
Doesn't that depend on the state?

Yup, but in Cali, both parties must be made aware that the conversation is being recorded. And, um, fruit of the poisonous tree and all :( :( :(

MissouriSooner
1/27/2008, 10:27 PM

Under federal law, it's not illegal if one party knows it's being taped. See http://www.rcfp.org/taping
The States have their own laws that may be more restrictive than federal law. California requires that both parties know the call is being taped, as did Maryland when Linda Tripp was indicted for taping Monica. However, the charges were later dropped, and Tripp was never prosecuted for the alleged "wiretapping" of the Monica conversations.

MissouriSooner
1/27/2008, 10:31 PM
However, having said that, the NCAA could take whatever "evidence" it wanted to receive in the Bush investigation, no matter the source, since the NCAA is not a court of law, and the rules of legal evidence wouldn't apply to them. The violation of the law on the phone taping would merely mean that the calls could not be introduced into evidence at trial. The NCAA doesn't conduct trials, only gathers information and metes out punishment accordingly.

KantoSooner
1/27/2008, 10:38 PM
Most important evidentiary criteria in the extant case: Does Myles Brand have a personal bone to pick with USC or Petey?

That's really all that matters to the penalties committee.

the bastados.

MissouriSooner
1/27/2008, 10:54 PM
True. I agree with others on this post that believe that USC will skate by playing dumb about this, especially because Reggie was clever enough to have all of the transactions go through his family. I predict that lack of institutional control will not even be mentioned by the NCAA.

KantoSooner
1/27/2008, 11:21 PM
on the bright side, the USC case will then be citable forevermore as a precedent to suggest that 'fair treatment' would be for the NCAA to remain silent.
With any luck, they may have sown the seeds of their own irrelevance if they don't come down on USC.

SoonerKnight
1/28/2008, 01:49 AM
Calls Crossing State Lines
Calls that cross state lines become complicated legal issues especially when one state is a one party consent state and the other state is an all party consent state. What has happened is that you didn't violate the law in the one party consent state and violated the law in the all party consent state. Moreover, since the call went across a state line, the federal laws would certainly apply. The most famous case involving this type of issue is the Linda Trip case. You will recall that Linda Trip recorded the telephone conversations of Monica Lewinski concerning her relationship with President Clinton. Trip was in Maryland and Lewinski was in DC. Note that Maryland is an all party consent state while DC is a one party consent state. The law is actually quite fuzzy on these issues. The recorder is advised to assume that the sticker law would apply.

D.C. of course is not a state but Federal law allows for one party to know and the other to not know that the conversation is recorded.

Maybe he made the calls to Reggie from out of state. Either way the NCAA is not trying to determine if a crime happened but if he broke their rules. As such the recordings should be used. If Reggie was trying to extort him then it is a legal recording. If he made an agreement to be his client but signed with someone else that could be extortion or whatever.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/28/2008, 10:55 AM
One thing I hope people remember- Lloyd Lake is not a sympathetic character either- he's a scumbag, too. His types could just as easily be hanging around Norman dangling cash at OU players.

Further, how messy could this get if it was determined that the money Lake gave Bush was dirty- drug money. I find it hard to believe that Lake had $30,000 legitimate dollars laying around after he got out of prison on drug charges to buy Bush a car.

Supposedly his sister (an MD) and his mother gave him money to invest so he could get his life back together. they didn't say how much they invested in him or his venture.

OU_Sooners75
1/28/2008, 12:20 PM
There will be pressure on the NCAA to do what they should do.

I am pretty sure someone on the USC staff knew about the money he was receiving and the trips he was taking.

If not, they lost control over Bush.

stoopified
1/28/2008, 12:58 PM
Reading all that legal speak has given me a headache. :D
I must now go rest

Dio
1/28/2008, 01:20 PM
LA is too big of a cash cow for the NCAA and ESPN. I'll be shocked if USC even gets a slap on the wrist.

OUDoc
1/28/2008, 01:29 PM
They'll eventually get burned for this, lose their championship and re-claim it in 50 years when no one remembers any of this.

picasso
1/28/2008, 01:32 PM
is Reggie Bush a higher profile than Rhett Bomar?

Scott D
1/28/2008, 02:39 PM
LA is too big of a cash cow for the NCAA and ESPN. I'll be shocked if USC even gets a slap on the wrist.

not if UCLA becomes relevant within a year or two like everyone seems to think it will be with that coaching staff.

Curly Bill
1/28/2008, 02:59 PM

This horse is out of the barn, the NCAA will have to do something.

tulsaoilerfan
1/28/2008, 10:00 PM
Who?

tulsaoilerfan
1/28/2008, 10:01 PM
Keeping this SUC related, Petey met with Dan Snyder for 9 hours today; please, please , please let that ******* go back to the NFL so he can get embarrassed on a somewhat regular basis

RedstickSooner
1/29/2008, 11:44 AM

Huh?

The NCAA makes almost all of its money off of basketball. Has Suc suddenly become a b-ball powerhouse? Are they making up 1/4 of the NCAA tournament's entrants? Because, if that was the case, I'd agree with you.

Otherwise, the NCAA is likely to behave the way it has for a while -- somewhat bitterly towards teams making big bucks off of their football programs. When football was effectively taken away from the purview of the NCAA by us when we sued to break the NCAA television contract dealiewhicker, it really cheesed the NCAA off. Since then they've treated football like their bastard offspring. It gets tough discipline, and whatever practical rule changes simply must be made.

ESPN would far prefer a team from someplace with some fans were the powerhouse. Nobody gives a shi-ite about the PAC-10. Not even on the West Coast. Hell, wasn't Fox Sports Net picking up a giant chunk of the "filler" Suc games for the past four or five seasons? Why not rail against FSN, which also picks up most of *our* filler games? Surely it's all a conspiracy on Fox's part, yeah?

KingDavid
1/29/2008, 11:54 AM

Who is Rhett Bomar? The name is ringing a bell, but I can't quite place it.

KingDavid
1/29/2008, 11:56 AM
Keeping this SUC related, Petey met with Dan Snyder for 9 hours today; please, please , please let that ******* go back to the NFL so he can get embarrassed on a somewhat regular basis

Link on that please.

BTW, if Carroll leaves, that's a darn good sign the the shyt's about to hit the fan. That egotist will do anything to preserve his image.

colleyvillesooner
1/29/2008, 12:26 PM
Well, this came out 9 hours ago...

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2008/01/29/SPT8UNQDO.DTL

USC coach Pete Carroll discussed the Redskins' coaching vacancy with owner an Snyder earlier this month but is no longer a serious candidate for the job, a person familiar with the selection process told AP on Monday.

Snyder and Carroll met in St. Louis "early in the process" following coach Joe Gibbs' resignation on Jan. 8, the person said. Carroll was comfortable with the Redskins' front-office structure and much of the coaching staff, the person said, but the former Jets and Patriots coach decided to remain in the college ranks.

The person spoke on condition of anonymity because the Redskins have not publicly stated the names of any coaching candidates.

Carroll's name is the latest to surface in a secretive process that has produced two current favorites: former Giants coach Jim Fassel and Colts defensive coordinator Ron Meeks. Fassel has had three sessions with Snyder, and Meeks is scheduled to meet with Snyder for a third time in Indianapolis today.

Snyder also is interested in interviewing Giants defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo and Patriots offensive coordinator Josh McDaniels after the Super Bowl.

KingDavid
1/29/2008, 12:40 PM
I think I heard that a while back, though? Oh well.

Carroll's ego will drive him back to the league, sooner or later. He's probably just going to wait for a better gig. Something further West (i.e. San Fransisco, San Diego, Denver maybe) or higher profile (Dallas?).

Regardless, it's just a matter of time. I'd say he's gone to the league within 5 years. And he'll return about 2-3 after that, sporting a very sore arse.

Pigface1
1/29/2008, 04:55 PM
Carroll will hightail it out of L.A. about 24 hours before the NCAA rips USC a new one.