PDA

View Full Version : The History Channel

SicEmBaylor
1/26/2008, 02:03 AM
It used to be so great, but these days it's just full of climate change/apocalyptic crap and UFOs.

What the hell happened?

Okla-homey
1/26/2008, 08:21 AM
I agree. In fact, back when I was heavily into living history, many of my colleagues referred to it as the "Hitler Channel" due to its (then) preoccupation with WWII and nazis. That was back in the early 90's when many of the WWII 50th anniversary events were being celebrated.

I predict the Histroy Channel will run a lot of civil war stuff in two years when the 150th anniversary of civil war events kick off.

All that to say, they seem to try to focus programming on periods currently in vogue. We are sort of in a dry spell right now with regards to important anniversaries.

frankensooner
1/26/2008, 08:31 AM
I guess they wanted to up viewship by adding the mouthbreaters. It is much less the Hitler Channel and much more the cryto-zoology channel anymores.

JohnnyMack
1/26/2008, 09:27 AM
If you get History International it's still pretty good. They spend a lot more time on, well, history. The regular History channel is in fact too pop culture at this point. Sad.

reevie
1/26/2008, 10:21 AM
I'm, too, am watching more History International than the History Channel

Okla-homey
1/26/2008, 11:06 AM
If you get History International it's still pretty good. They spend a lot more time on, well, history. The regular History channel is in fact too pop culture at this point. Sad.

well, other than the fact "pop" culture, as well as natural history, are still within the broad field of "history."

JohnnyMack
1/26/2008, 11:10 AM
well, other than the fact "pop" culture, as well as natural history, are still within the broad field of "history."

I guess since Ice Road Truckers was filmed last year, it's technically "history".

reevie
1/26/2008, 11:12 AM
Just think of this next time you're looking at the History Channel........At least they are not following MTV's development. They still air history, while you're hard pressed to find a music video on MTV.

OU-HSV
1/26/2008, 11:29 AM
I've noticed this recently as well. I don't watch it much anymore.

SicEmBaylor
1/26/2008, 03:26 PM
Yeah, I get History International back home at the FTG, but I don't get it here in Waco. It's much much better. I also like seeing some non-American strictly European stuff from time to time.

jeremy885
1/26/2008, 03:30 PM
I'm, too, am watching more History International than the History Channel

heh, I was comparing it with MTV to MTV2 with the wife this morning.

silverwheels
1/26/2008, 03:51 PM
Maybe the entire history of mankind has been shown and they were looking for something new? ;)

I agree, though. I've been finding myself watching less and less of it. I like the universe/doomsday/science-related stuff, but those shouldn't be the main subjects they show. It's like they're becoming the new Discovery Channel (which I also love).

SoonerInKCMO
1/26/2008, 07:05 PM
For all you hatahs: They're showing an hour about ancient Mesopotamian engineer Al-Jazari right now.

Just ignore the 2-hour Nostradamus and 2-hour Armageddon shows that follow. :O

Frozen Sooner
1/26/2008, 07:09 PM
For all you hatahs: They're showing an hour about ancient Mesopotamian engineer Al-Jazari right now.

Just ignore the 2-hour Nostradamus and 2-hour Armageddon shows that follow. :O

Al Jazeera?

TRAITOR!!!

mdklatt
1/26/2008, 07:14 PM

TRAITORS!!

85Sooner
1/26/2008, 07:15 PM
Military channel took all programming'

Frozen Sooner
1/26/2008, 07:15 PM
TRAITORS!!

COPYCAT!!!

mdklatt
1/26/2008, 07:16 PM
Al Jazeera?

TRAITOR!!!

TRAITORS!!

Heh.

StoopTroup
1/26/2008, 08:14 PM
I agree. In fact, back when I was heavily into living history, many of my colleagues referred to it as the "Hitler Channel" due to its (then) preoccupation with WWII and nazis. That was back in the early 90's when many of the WWII 50th anniversary events were being celebrated.

I predict the Histroy Channel will run a lot of civil war stuff in two years when the 150th anniversary of civil war events kick off.

All that to say, they seem to try to focus programming on periods currently in vogue. We are sort of in a dry spell right now with regards to important anniversaries.
Nice prediction but with the way China is going through fossil fuels and energy, I'm not sure the History Channel is looking that far ahead. :D

:pop:

StoopTroup
1/26/2008, 08:16 PM
BTW...doesn't Mike Wallace run all those channels now?

I mean...if they have changed all their basic concepts on these channels...I believe it's all his fault.

OUHOMER
1/26/2008, 08:20 PM
the writers are on strike haven't you heard. Nobody to re write history.

soonerhubs
1/26/2008, 09:37 PM
What channel made the show Shootout? I thought that was just great! I miss shows like Histories Mysteries and The Most. I suppose there's only so many you can do, but I figure there is tons of history out there to base these shows on.

Whet
1/26/2008, 10:01 PM
Plus, I just noticed they are doing deviant sexual behavior type programming.... "Modern Marvels: Canning"

mynameisjoe
1/27/2008, 12:02 AM
They need to bring back R. Lee Ermey's show! I love all that military history stuff. Better than this Nostradamus crap that's on right now.

tbl
1/27/2008, 12:03 AM
Modern Marvels is always great.
The Universe is an AWESOME show.
Gangland (new show) ain't that bad.
Barbarians.
There's more too...

I do agree that the UFO, monster, and Ice Road truckers crap sucks. It's still by far my favorite channel. Discovery had sucked for a while, but they're coming back as a very close second. They still have some turds there as well.

SicEmBaylor
1/27/2008, 12:11 AM
Modern Marvels is always great.
The Universe is an AWESOME show.
Gangland (new show) ain't that bad.
Barbarians.
There's more too...

I do agree that the UFO, monster, and Ice Road truckers crap sucks. It's still by far my favorite channel. Discovery had sucked for a while, but they're coming back as a very close second. They still have some turds there as well.

Modern marvels is okay.
The Universe should be a Discovery channel show.
I haven't seen Barbarians in awhile, but it's good.
Gangland is horrible.

SicEmBaylor
1/27/2008, 12:12 AM
Plus, I just noticed they are doing deviant sexual behavior type programming.... "Modern Marvels: Canning"

The History of Sex.

mynameisjoe
1/27/2008, 12:14 AM
The History of Sex.

That was the most dry discussion of sex ever. I was quite disappointed.

SicEmBaylor
1/27/2008, 12:16 AM
That was the most dry discussion of sex ever. I was quite disappointed.
I wouldn't say that -- I thought it was pretty saucy.

PrideTrombone
1/27/2008, 03:13 PM
I wouldn't say that -- I thought it was pretty saucy.

You just made his point for him, O Duke of the Dry Spell. :D

Petro-Sooner
1/27/2008, 03:41 PM
Theres going to be a two hour documentary on oil tonight on the HC. Where is comes from, how its used, future supplys. Hope its good.

SicEmBaylor
1/27/2008, 04:36 PM
I have one of those flashlights that doesn't have batteries. You pump a handle a few times and it gives the flashlight like a half hour charge.

Here's my question, why can't you get a car to run on the same principle? Have a small gas engine to simply provide the "pumping power" for a charge that the car runs on.

Frozen Sooner
1/27/2008, 06:27 PM
I have one of those flashlights that doesn't have batteries. You pump a handle a few times and it gives the flashlight like a half hour charge.

Here's my question, why can't you get a car to run on the same principle? Have a small gas engine to simply provide the "pumping power" for a charge that the car runs on.

We do. They call that a Hybrid.

SicEmBaylor
1/27/2008, 06:33 PM
We do. They call that a Hybrid.
This is about the 100th time that I've come up with a great idea that ahs been done.

I have really bad sinuses that are almost always stopped up. Well, I discovered after a couple of quick rushes of adrenaline that my sinuses suddenly cleared up. So, I asked my dad why you couldn't somehow harvest adrenaline and use it to make a decongestant. Turns out, that's basically what a decongestant is. =(

SicEmBaylor
1/30/2008, 03:09 PM
I've had it. I just saw my last Nostradamus show. Ugh.
I wrote them an e-mail.

I'm a long time History Channel viewer. Your programming probably represents most of what I watch on TV, but lately your strictly historical programming seems to be lacking.

I don't know if it's due to the writer's strike or not, but I'm sort of tired of watching Nostradamus 10 times a day, monsters and UFOs, and the hundreds of exciting ways that I (along with the rest of man kind) is going to die in some sort of apocalyptic event. I am now well informed on the subject, and will be watching the sky closely for an incoming asteroid, check my neighbors for the bird flu, read up on my bible prophesies, and check my water for explosive methane gas.
Thank you, now please move on to something else before the predicated rapture.

Thank you in advance,
A concerned viewer

jeremy885
1/30/2008, 03:12 PM

This is a family board SicEm :mad:

Curly Bill
1/30/2008, 03:18 PM
I've had it. I just saw my last Nostradamus show. Ugh.
I wrote them an e-mail.

Yeah, but could one ever get enough Da Vinci code stuff? :D