PDA

View Full Version : Meet my neighbor...

Whet
1/25/2008, 11:41 PM
This jerk lives a few blocks away from us.

Wife Killer? (http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=b85_1201296379)

On the drive home this evening we heard on the radio they found some body parts near a blue drum in a nearby landfill....

So what do you think - killed one or two wives?

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/26/2008, 01:43 AM
He's got his desired infamy. Too ugly to ponder for very long.

Jimminy Crimson
1/26/2008, 05:05 AM
Sounds like having any name like "-y/i Peterson" is bad luck. :O

TheHumanAlphabet
1/26/2008, 06:51 AM
This jerk lives a few blocks away from us.

Wife Killer? (http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=b85_1201296379)

On the drive home this evening we heard on the radio they found some body parts near a blue drum in a nearby landfill....

So what do you think - killed one or two wives?

Wow, they may have finally found her. I sure hope so...

He has killed twice - does that put him in serial murder league?

What of that crazy newsbabe that shacked up with him? Lost her job, hope the seks was good...

It was weird, for the last 2 years I have been traveling to Plainfield on a project at CB&I.

Whet
1/26/2008, 12:15 PM
Wow, they may have finally found her. I sure hope so...

He has killed twice - does that put him in serial murder league?

What of that crazy newsbabe that shacked up with him? Lost her job, hope the seks was good...

It was weird, for the last 2 years I have been traveling to Plainfield on a project at CB&I.

The one in Plainfield is yet another husband with a "missing" wife. Here is an article about that case and the TV reporter.

CHICAGO (CBS) ― A Chicago reporter parted ways with a local television station after a CBS 2 exclusive video aired showing her in a bathing suit and at the home of the husband of a missing woman. Craig Stebic is the husband of a Plainfield woman who's been missing since late April.

As of Tuesday evening, Amy Jacobson is no longer part of the WMAQ-TV, NBC 5 news team. CBS 2's Alita Guillen has new details about Jacobson's departure after a social visit to the Stebic home.

Lisa Stebic was last seen by her husband, Craig Stebic, on April 30, and there has been no sign of her since despite an intense investigation and repeated searches.

A video captured Friday shows Jacobson wearing a bathing suit top and wrapped in a towel at Craig Stebic's home. Also seen in the video are Stebic himself, his sister from Iowa and Jacobson's two children.

NBC 5 General Manager Larry Wert said late Tuesday that Jacobson and WMAQ-TV parted ways, leaving open the possibility that she may have resigned after more than 10 years at the station.

In a memo to WMAQ-TV employees, managers said in part "We are sorry to tell you that Amy Jacobson is leaving NBC 5 News, effective immediately. Amy's contributions as a reporter over the last 10 years are numerous. We will miss Amy, and wish her the best."

The video has caused countless people to react.

"It's an interesting story," said WLS radio host Roe Conn.

Conn on the air Tuesday expressed sympathy for the reporter.

"I don't think she was planning on reporting at that moment; she was developing the relationship," he said.

Exactly what she was doing last Friday at Craig Stebic's home is not entirely clear. The video shows her in a bathing suit, her two young children in tow. She says his family invited her to the home at the last minute. It was her day off.

"The fact that it was a pool party and she's in a bathing suit is really what--and the fact that she is a woman--is what elevates the story to outrage that so many people have over it," said Chicago Tribune columnist Eric Zorn.

The decision to air the video of Jacobson at the Stebic home was not made in haste; officials at CBS 2 wrangled for four days over whether to broadcast the footage of Jacobson and her two young children socializing with Craig Stebic.

"Once we got this video, it was clear it was provacative, but there were so many questions. For sure we could have thrown it on the air, but it wouldn't have been the right thing to do because there was no context. What was it? Was it newsworthy? We had many, many discussions about that," said CBS 2 Vice President and News Director Carol Fowler.

"No one should lose sight that we have the family of a woman that's deeply distraught that she's missing, the mother of two young children; we still don't know what happened to her," Fowler added. "The degree to which this feeding frenzy detracts from that investigation is really very unfortunate."

The video runs six minutes. In it, Jacobson is seen in a bikini top with a towel wrapped around her waist. Her two young boys are with her. Craig Stebic is there as well as his sister and a few others.

CBS 2 shared the video with Northwestern University journalism professor Michele Weldon.

"I don't see any reason that this could be considered OK," Weldon said.

"Clearly, this is a conflict of interest," Weldon added.

Weldon said it represents a case of gravely crossing a journalistic line; an error in judgment that damages Jacobson's credibility as well as her colleagues'.

"It's going to make the audience and her colleagues and her competitors question what else she has done," Weldon said.

"While it's not a heinous crime it erodes all of our credibility as journalists," Weldon added.

Jacobson was reportedly invited to the home Friday at the last minute. It was her day off and she was with her children.

By Tuesday, word of the video and the story had been spread throughout the Chicago media and CBS 2 felt an obligation to inform viewers.

"Once late (Monday) we learned that both of the major newspapers in Chicago were taking the matter very seriously and NBC was taking the matter very seriously, that met the threshold of a news story in my judgment. Had that not happened the tape might still be in a locked drawer in my desk."

Neighbors tell CBS 2 that Jacobson has been visiting Stebic's house frequently, without a camera crew, since his estranged wife's disappearance. Why she has been there is unclear; while she has covered the story, she has never mentioned any social relationship with Stebic or his family.

"To quote from the (Society of Professional Journalists) code of ethics, they say, 'Remain free of associations and activities that may compromise integrity or damage credibility,'" Weldon said.

"I would use this as an example of something not to do; as something to avoid," Weldon added.

After seeing this video Lisa's family defended the reporter's actions.

A written statement sent to CBS 2 from Lisa's cousin Melanie Greenberg, on behalf of her family, read: "We would like to say a few words about Amy Jacobson after hearing about an unfortunate incident which occurred this past Friday, concerning a visit which involved Amy, her children and the family of Craig Stebic.

From our perspective on behalf of Lisa's family, Amy Jacobson has given 1,000 percent and has never done anything but deliver the most responsible and caring job of journalism during this extremely difficult situation for our family. She has shown compassion to us and always kept Lisa's children's welfare uppermost in her mind, which is also our main concern.

Her sensitivity to Lisa's sisters - Jamie Bouma and Debbie Ruttenberg - during her several one-on-one interviews with them over the past 2 months has been exemplary . This was appreciated beyond words by all of us, Lisa's relatives.

Through Amy's frequent reports on the case, we have been able to reach thousands of people in our search for Lisa, and we owe her a huge debt of gratitude.

We would request that this recent & unfortunate incident NOT distract from the ultimate goal here – which is to find Lisa Stebic and bring her home to her children and her family."

CBS 2 Legal Analyst Irv Miller said Jacobson may have put herself in an awkward position by socializing with Stebic. "The fact that she may be putting herself in the position of a friend of Craig Stebic puts her as a person of interest for the police to possibly to talk to to see if Craig Stebic has told her anything," Miller said.

CBS2News (http://cbs2chicago.com/topstories/Lisa.Stebic.Craig.2.338140.html)

Whet
1/26/2008, 12:17 PM
Sounds like having any name like "-y/i Peterson" is bad luck. :O

Get this - they named their youngest girl "Lacy".... Isn't that just too wierd?

Jimminy Crimson
1/26/2008, 12:37 PM
Get this - they named their youngest girl "Lacy".... Isn't that just too wierd?

We can only hope they have a son named Scott.