PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Hospital Billing People

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/25/2008, 11:15 PM
When I had my appendectomy last July, my insurance didn't cover all of my hospital expenses. So I set it up with the hospital to pay them $100/month until the bill is paid. Then, I set it up with my bank to automatically take the money out of my account each month. Like clockwork, Integris gets paid on the 14th of every month.

Well, today I got a letter saying my account is past due. Only it's not, because the jackasses got my $100 on the 14th.

:mad:

Sooner24
1/26/2008, 01:39 AM
They probably harvested one of your kidneys, and sold it on the black market, while they were in there.

Jimminy Crimson
1/26/2008, 05:02 AM
Your insurance wouldn't cover the whole appendectomy? That's whack, jack.

Wasn't like this was an optional procedure...

OUbones
1/26/2008, 05:59 AM
US healthcare best in the world.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/26/2008, 09:03 AM
Your insurance wouldn't cover the whole appendectomy? That's whack, jack.

Wasn't like this was an optional procedure...I know! They only covered 80%, leaving me with almost $2K to pay to various doctors, labs, the hospital, etc. :(

If I had an HMO, out of pocket would be about $500, but I like to pick my doctors so I have a PPO.

OU-HSV
1/26/2008, 09:10 AM
Yep, it's always a mess dealing w/that monthly hospital payment. When my wife had our son, I didn't have insurance. We still owed the hospital like $1,500 to $2,000 after his birth. They tried getting their collectors after me, but I wasn't having that cause at that time I couldn't afford that dollar amount. I've been set up since then to pay the hospital a minimum of $50.00/month. I'm supposed to get a monthly statement mailed to me. But when we moved back to Oklahoma they could never get my address straight, so once in a blue moon we get a statement. I just simply remember every month to call and pay the hospital over the phone on the 15th. Now we're down to about $300 and my boy will be paid for! :)

Sooner_Bob
1/26/2008, 10:07 AM
Now we're down to about $300 and my boy will be paid for! :)

Oh they're never truly paid for . . . :D

OU-HSV
1/26/2008, 10:52 AM
Oh they're never truly paid for . . . :D
heh, good point

ChickSoonerFan
1/26/2008, 10:59 AM
You will probably get a monthly past due statement every month as long as there is an outstanding balance. As long as you are making monthly payments don't worry about the notice you are getting, it's probably just their standard billing practices.

Medical bills suck.

GrapevineSooner
1/26/2008, 11:03 AM
Been there done that with my wife's medical bills.

She had her gall bladder removed last June and we've been paying monthly medical bills ever since, gotten the late notices, and laughed at them because as long as monthly payments are being made, there's not much they can do.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/26/2008, 12:00 PM
You will probably get a monthly past due statement every month as long as there is an outstanding balance. As long as you are making monthly payments don't worry about the notice you are getting, it's probably just their standard billing practices.

Medical bills suck.No, this is the first past due one I got. The good thing is that since I set up the payments through Chase, I can show that I've paid on time every month since September. In $625 they can **** off though.

The same thing happened at Deaconess a few years ago. I was paying them $50/month, assuming they had combined lab and ER visits. Instead, I get a past due notice from them threatening to turn me over to collections. I called them and said I had records from my bank that I had paid them $300. As it turned out, I was paying on an account that had been settled while they were showing the other one in arrears. Looks like they'd just file your account under a SSN or other personal identifier, but that would be too easy.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/26/2008, 12:01 PM
Been there done that with my wife's medical bills.

She had her gall bladder removed last June and we've been paying monthly medical bills ever since, gotten the late notices, and laughed at them because as long as monthly payments are being made, there's not much they can do.I've heard that even if you make $1 payment each month they can't sue you. I didn't want to be making payments for 1,800 months though. ;)

ChickSoonerFan
1/26/2008, 12:03 PM
No, this is the first past due one I got. The good thing is that since I set up the payments through Chase, I can show that I've paid on time every month since September. In $625 they can **** off though.

The same thing happened at Deaconess a few years ago. I was paying them $50/month, assuming they had combined lab and ER visits. Instead, I get a past due notice from them threatening to turn me over to collections. I called them and said I had records from my bank that I had paid them $300. As it turned out, I was paying on an account that had been settled while they were showing the other one in arrears. Looks like they'd just file your account under a SSN or other personal identifier, but that would be too easy.

yikes.

at least you have a record of you payments. I am sure it will get straightened out. But what a pain.

MamaMia
1/26/2008, 12:25 PM
I asked for an itemized billing statement from Integris and discovered that they had billed me for well over $1,700.00 in charges that should not have been on there.

Jimminy Crimson
1/26/2008, 12:40 PM
I asked for an itemized billing statement from Integris and discovered that they had billed me for well over $1,700.00 in charges that should not have been on there.

How do you think they pay for their cute/sappy commercials? :cool:

MamaMia
1/26/2008, 01:42 PM
Next time I need surgery, I plan to save some money by having it preformed at a hospital near the ocean, have a limo drive me to the cruise ship port afterward, where my around the clock private nursing staff/recovery team will greet me right before we board the ship. ;)

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/26/2008, 03:57 PM
I did something similar by going to Aruba a week after my surgery.

Jimminy Crimson
1/26/2008, 04:16 PM
I did something similar by going to Aruba a week after my surgery.

Thank you for your efforts in aiding the search efforts for our dear Natalee so soon after your surgery.

Love,
Beth Holloway-Twitty

SoonerInKCMO
1/26/2008, 04:53 PM
Stop getting sick. Problem solved. :)

mdklatt
1/26/2008, 04:55 PM
Stop getting sick. Problem solved. :)

I believe that's the Republican platform for health care reform.

Breadburner
1/26/2008, 05:23 PM
To bad your not an illegal alien....You would have been covered 100%

Frozen Sooner
1/26/2008, 05:28 PM
So I went in for a sleep study right before my old insurance expired. I asked at the front desk if I could settle up then. Girl at the desk said "No, the hospital will bill you."

I got a bill from the hospital for about $800 after insurance paid their part, so I paid them and thought nothing more of it. This is back in November, you understand.

I get a bill from the doctor I talked to before the study for about 20 minutes last week. First bill I've gotten. $825. $425 of which was 60 days past due for some reason (considering that it was the first bill I'd gotten, I thought that was a bit much.) I guess the doctor bills separately from the hospital, which is fine, and I'm OK paying it. I was just annoyed about the "past due" part.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/26/2008, 07:49 PM
Thank you for your efforts in aiding the search efforts for our dear Natalee so soon after your surgery.

Love,
Beth Holloway-Twitty

Dear Ms. Holloway-Twitty,

Thank you for your note. I believe there has been some form of miscommunication. I did not donate an organ to help in recovery efforts for your dumb *** daughter. The Arubian people all seemed very nice, but also respectfully think your dear Natalee is a dumb ***.

Sincerely,
SBSB