PDA

View Full Version : My Big 12 Breakdown 01/25

Collier11
1/25/2008, 01:58 PM
Rankings are based off of standings

1: Kansas 19-0
If this team doesnt make it to the Final Four it will be a shame for the Big 12, they are loaded top to bottom and are IMO the best team in the Country

2: Baylor 16-2
What a job Coach Drew has done, this is his team now and they are pretty scary. Still, a tough schedule left but if they can go 500. the rest of the way they will be 10-6 and 22-8 and will finally do something worthwhile in one sport

3: K State 13-4
Their remaining schedule isnt too bad, they should make a run at the tourney

4: Texas 15-3
When they play D they are a Top 10 team, Augistin is a superstar and they will go as far as he takes them

5: Iowa St 12-7
Good coach has them playing hard, they will end up in the 6-9 range IMO

6: Tech 11-7
With white hair they will always be competitive but this might be the least talented team he has had at Tech. 6 games left against ranked team, they arent going anywhere

7: OU 13-5
1-0 without Blake, the key IMO is that we go 3-3 over our next 6 games
@ Baylor, Osu, @ A&M, Texas, @ Colorado, Iowa st by then Griffin will have hopefully been back and knocked off the rust
3-3 puts us at 4-5 in conference and 16-8 overall with 5 out of our last 7 being winnable games. We go 8-8 and 20-11 or better and we are in the Tourney IMO, any worse and we are likely out unless we make a Big 12 tourney run

8: A&M 15-4
They should be alright but they arent playing their best ball right now, they need to atleast get to 9-7 after starting 1-3 in conf IMO because of no real marquee OOC wins

9: Mizzou 11-8
This team has no defensive discipline and yet they have still beaten Texas, Maryland, and Purdue and have 4 losses of 6 pts or less. They have a chance with their upcoming schedule but they would need to have a winning conf record to get in and that isnt happening I dont think

10: Pukie 10-8
One game on, 3 games off. This team is going nowhere fast unless they get a whole lot of discipline for Valentines Day

11: CU 9-9
They SUCK

12: Nebraska 12-5
Always dangerous for some reason but really not that good

9:

yermom
1/25/2008, 02:04 PM
KU in the Final Four?

i'm not falling for that again

crawfish
1/25/2008, 02:19 PM
Good list, but I'd put us above Tech.

Collier11
1/25/2008, 02:21 PM
Good list, but I'd put us above Tech.

the list was just the current rankings, not where I think they will end up

crawfish
1/25/2008, 02:28 PM
the list was just the current rankings, not where I think they will end up

Ahhh, nevermind then. I thought you were ranking them, too.

OUSKINS
1/25/2008, 02:53 PM
Big 12 is a lock for 5 teams in the Dance this year, and I think the 6th team will be a solid bubble team. 6 is a definite possibility this year.

So let's take a look at that:

Texas and Kansas are locks.

That's 2 with 3 or 4 spots left.

I think Baylor is starting to look like a lock, although I wouldn't be stunned to see a collapse. But they'd really have to choke from here on out.

So, we'll put Baylor in. 2 or 3 spots left.

Personal opinion here....KSU is the 2nd most talented team in the conference, and I think they are going to get 10-11 wins in conference and be a virtual lock come selection Sunday.

KU, UT, BU, and KSU in.

1 or 2 spots left:

That's where the fight starts. Colorado, OSU, Nebraska, and ISU are not involved in this fight. Each can play a spolier for sure, but neither of those four teams are tourney bound.

That leaves one or two spots to be battled out between OU, A+M, Mizzou, and Tech.

I see Mizzou and A+M having the tougher task because one has already lost 7, and the other has already lost 8. But one nice little hot streak and either of those teams could contend for an at-large bid.

I really think it's going to come down between A+M and OU. If the Big 12 gets 6 teams, then both could find themselves in. If the Big 12 only gets 5, my guess is that one of those shcools is the one left in the dust.

In summary:

The Big 12 has:

--2 Locks (UT, KU)
--2 Highly Probable (BU, KSU)
--2 Good Chance (OU, A+M)
--2 Longshots (Tech, MU)
--4 No Shot (OSU, ISU, CU, NU)

Collier11
2/4/2008, 03:22 AM
Updated 02/04

Kansas 21-1 Still Class of the Big 12 despite loss to K state

Kstate 15-5 Too many bad losses to go with good wins, probably 3rd best team in Big 12

Texas 17-4 SOmewhat inconsistent for a 17-4 team, may end up around 5-6 seed

Baylor 16-4 Starting to come back to earth a little bit, still wins 21-22 games

A&M 18-4 Becoming team they should have been all season, probably 2nd or 3rd overall

OU 15-6 I thought they needed to go 3-3 over next 6 to get thru BG injury and go to tourney, now they are 2-1 with all 3 of next 3 very winnable, win against UT at home would be huge. This team is tourney bound unless we have a all out breakdown...should be 21-10 worst case scenario with 9-7 Big 12 in my opinion

Tech 12-8...and going nowhere IMO

Mizzou 13-9, keep fighting hard even without some of their key players and winning some games they have no business winning, if MA can ever get the players he wants watch out, for now nothing happening

Iowa st 13-9 They play well for their new coach but not much talent

Neb, puke st, Cu going nowhere fast

Collier11
2/4/2008, 03:27 AM
FWIW, Coach Capel has exceeded my expectations big time every year, that is a great quality to have as a coach. Not that my opinion matters that much but I think he has done way beyond what most thought in his 1st two years...I honestly thought last year we would win 8-10 games, this year I thought we would be a NIT team and it looks like we will exceed that easily. If BG comes back next year and we can have one of the big guy recruits give us any quality minutes next year we could compete for the conf title, I wont underestimate Coach Capel anymore!!

King Crimson
2/4/2008, 08:43 AM
If BG comes back next year and we can have one of the big guy recruits give us any quality minutes next year we could compete for the conf title, I wont underestimate Coach Capel anymore!!

don't forget about UCLA transfer. he ought to at least give us some minutes in the post.

i'd say 8-8 is worst case scenario. 9-7 i think we're a bubble team, but get in as a 10 or 9 seed. as long as the rpi is less than about 40-45 our chances are very good IMO.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
2/4/2008, 10:35 AM
Updated 02/04

Kansas 21-1 Still Class of the Big 12 despite loss to K state

Kstate 15-5 Too many bad losses to go with good wins, probably 3rd best team in Big 12

Texas 17-4 SOmewhat inconsistent for a 17-4 team, may end up around 5-6 seed

Baylor 16-4 Starting to come back to earth a little bit, still wins 21-22 games

A&M 18-4 Becoming team they should have been all season, probably 2nd or 3rd overall

OU 15-6 I thought they needed to go 3-3 over next 6 to get thru BG injury and go to tourney, now they are 2-1 with all 3 of next 3 very winnable, win against UT at home would be huge. This team is tourney bound unless we have a all out breakdown...should be 21-10 worst case scenario with 9-7 Big 12 in my opinion

Tech 12-8...and going nowhere IMO

Mizzou 13-9, keep fighting hard even without some of their key players and winning some games they have no business winning, if MA can ever get the players he wants watch out, for now nothing happening

Iowa st 13-9 They play well for their new coach but not much talent

Neb, puke st, Cu going nowhere fast

I'm thinking pretty much along the same lines. I think KSU is likely to finish 2nd though because the only game I see that looks like they would be an underdog would be @KU. They probably lose one other game somewhere but the road games left otherwise are TT,Neb, Bay and ISU. They already beat A&M and they host Texas.

Hard not to give Bay a leg up on A&M at least at the moment after winning at College Station though Bay has a 5-game stetch coming up of @KU,@OSU,Tex, @OU, KSU. They could lose all 5 of those games. I think it is likley Baylor in the end that is fighting to be the 6th Big 12 team in the NCAA tourney.

There certainly aren't any road games we can take for granted but if we can beat Texas on Wed I think the 4 seed is a real possibility. Beat Texas and we are 4-3, finsihed with the top 2 teams, and already having played @A&M and @Bay. I'm certain we will probably drop some other road games but other than @Tex any other road game is very winnable and really I think we should win @Colo and @ Neb.

SleestakSooner
2/4/2008, 12:46 PM
It all depends on whether or not the few players we have left can stay healthy and out of foul trouble during the games.

The team's defensive play should keep them in most games, but missing key players and having a short bench to begin with will take its toll.

Right now it could go either way, but I still like the Sooners chances of finishing 4th or 5th in the conference and making the big dance as a 6th or 7th seed