PDA

View Full Version : I have a request to make of all you soonerfan chefs out there

MamaMia
1/25/2008, 12:32 PM
During all these years that we have been conversing with one another, I've gained a great respect for y'alls talent in not only picking wonderful restaurants, but in preparing meals of your own both in just about every way imaginable; whether its on the grill, in the smoker, on the stove oven. :)

A while back, as some of you will remember, my Crock Pot finally, after decades of use, bit the dust. I'm embarrassed to say that I only knew a few recipes anyway but nonetheless, that crock pot got plenty of use, especially at Christmas when I'd use it for hot buttered rum and Spiced Cider, but now I'm getting off track. I've been doing that a lot since I became a grandmother. :O

This Christmas was especially kind to me in that my family gave me an All Clad slow cooker and a Southern Living cook book but only a couple of the recipes are low maintenance, one or two step 'Throw it all in there and go to work for 7 or 8 hours' recipes, which is why I need the Slow Cooker.

So, I was hoping that some of you would share your favorites with me.

GrapevineSooner
1/25/2008, 12:34 PM
But are they staying off your computer? :D

MamaMia
1/25/2008, 12:57 PM
But are they staying off your computer? :D I'm sorry to say, but no, and I get so busy I don't even notice until its too late. :)

TopDaugIn2000
1/25/2008, 12:59 PM
I have a few at home, I'll post em later

Mjcpr
1/25/2008, 01:22 PM
Mongo probably has dozens of recipes for you.

Mongo
1/25/2008, 01:38 PM
Mongo probably has dozens of recipes for you.

how are you liking your #3 from McD's?

I am having leftover chicken and noodles, they are better the second day

85Sooner
1/25/2008, 01:59 PM
Didn't know chefs used crock pots:)

MamaMia
1/25/2008, 04:21 PM
Didn't know chefs used crock pots:)
Behind every famous chef is a great mom with a crock pot in her kitchen. :D

85Sooner
1/25/2008, 04:25 PM
Behind every famous chef is a great mom with a crock pot in her kitchen. :D

Didn't use a crock pot but made a damnfantastick Filet Marsalla Panchetto last night. (note to self: filets are getting outrageously priced 27.50 per pd)

MamaMia
1/25/2008, 04:26 PM
Didn't use a crock pot but made a damnfantastick Filet Marsalla Panchetto last night. (note to self: filets are getting outrageously priced 27.50 per pd)Yum. That sounds good. :)

Miko
1/25/2008, 04:50 PM
One of my favorites is very simple. Chicken breasts covered with salsa. You can cook rice in the crock pot, but I don't like to. I just steam some to use as a serving bed.

Time permitting I will throw in veggies (like carrots, onions, corn or black beans) (and YES, I know the latter two are starches, not veggies!)

TopDaugIn2000
1/25/2008, 05:11 PM
Smothered Steak:

Season and lightly flour and brown round steaks in a tad of oil in a skillet. Place in crock pot. Add one chopped onion to skillet and brown, scraping "goodies" from bottom of skillet. Add onions to the crock pot, on top of steak. Pour one can of Cream of Mushroom soup on top of onions/steak. Cook on low all day, serve with mashed potatoes or rice.

85Sooner
1/25/2008, 05:52 PM
Smothered Steak:

Season and lightly flour and brown round steaks in a tad of oil in a skillet. Place in crock pot. Add one chopped onion to skillet and brown, scraping "goodies" from bottom of skillet. Add onions to the crock pot, on top of steak. Pour one can of Cream of Mushroom soup on top of onions/steak. Cook on low all day, serve with mashed potatoes or rice.

Or you could deglaze the skillet with the cream of mushroom and onion.

Sooner24
1/25/2008, 08:02 PM
Try this recipe it is easy and very little mess plus you don't have to tend to it all day.

2 lb beef stew meat
1 28 oz can of diced tomates undrained ( I usually pour in a small can of Rotels in addition to the regular diced tomatoes but my wife says it makes it too warm for her)
1 cup frozen small whole onions ( I use the fresh pearl onions boiled and peeled myself)
2 teaspoons chilli powder
1 package taco seasoning mix
1 can black beans drained
1 can (11 oz) Green Giant Mexicorn drained

1. In slow cooker mix beef, tomatoes, onions and chilli powder.

Here comes the good part for you Mama

2. Cover: cook on low heat setting 9 to 11 hours.

3. Stir in taco seasoning mix, using wire whisk. Stir in beans and corn. Increase heat setting to high.

Cover; cook 15 to 30 minutes or until thickened.

The meat will just fall apart from being cooked that long on slow heat. Let me know if you like it.

Rogue
1/25/2008, 08:36 PM
Mine makes chili or queso most of the time.

Carne Guisada. Mrs. Rogue's goes something like this:

Stew meat, chopped small and browned in a skillet with diced onions and garlic. Liberally dust with flout and brown just a little more. Diced jalapeno (leave the seeds and guts for hotter, gut it for milder) cumin, rotel, a little chili powder and cayenne. All goes in the pot. Much later warm ya up some tortillas, cover with shredded cheesey goodness and the guisada meat, and dive in.

Crock pot is the only way to cook beans these days at my place.

Hams, roasts, chili, stew, soup, etc are all great in the pot.

The old aluminum foil meal is good too.
Dice up smoked sausage, potatoes, green peppers, onions, and butter.
Season liberally with Lawry's and Lemon Pepper, cook quite awhile and enjoy.

Pork roast, pork chops, mmmmm.

Some recipes that look good are jambalaya and red beans 'n rice.

Best recipe site for the cooker, IMO (http://www.slowandsimple.com)

KC//CRIMSON
1/25/2008, 09:37 PM
A whole chicken cut up or a pack of thighs. I prefer the whole cut up chicken myself.

One whole bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce. I just use KC Masterpiece Honey Brown Sugar.

Two to three bottles of Fat Tire Amber Ale Beer (or any dark beer you like.)

Half a large white onion cut in large chunks.

A pinch of sea salt.

Two or three shakes of Garlic Powder.

Done.

Serve with new potatos and bread. It's the bomb.:cool:

swardboy
1/25/2008, 10:13 PM
My favorites:
Rump roast with sliced carrots and potatoes, dump onion soup mix on top and a cup of water....On low for 8 hours

Taco soup: 1 lb hamburger browned (add chopped onions if you like), can of black beans, can of corn, can of kidney beans, 1 can of rotel ( another if you like heat), large can of tomato sauce, packet of taco seasoning....4-6 hours on low....don't drain any of the cans.

Sooner24
1/25/2008, 11:49 PM
My favorites:
Rump roast with sliced carrots and potatoes, dump onion soup mix on top and a cup of water....On low for 8 hours

Taco soup: 1 lb hamburger browned (add chopped onions if you like), can of black beans, can of corn, can of kidney beans, 1 can of rotel ( another if you like heat), large can of tomato sauce, packet of taco seasoning....4-6 hours on low....don't drain any of the cans.

Try the new Rotel with habanros! :eek:

You won't need to add a second can for heat. As a matter of fact it might make it too hot for some taste.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/26/2008, 06:59 AM
Get thee an internet subscription to America's Test Kitchen. Good recipes and many are easy. The PBS show is quite good.

Their website allows you to search recipes, print recipes and/or shopping lists. They are very thorough and have picture/diagrams of some of the cooking techniques or how to cut, press, fold, tuss or wrap the food in question.

I at first thought the show is uppity New England. It isn't uppity, but it is New England. When they call for spicy pepper, they only use about 2 flakes. Do not have a SW taste, but at least I was prepared for it after living in CT for 4 years.

whatsername
1/26/2008, 10:15 AM
One of my favorites is very simple. Chicken breasts covered with salsa. You can cook rice in the crock pot, but I don't like to. I just steam some to use as a serving bed.

Time permitting I will throw in veggies (like carrots, onions, corn or black beans) (and YES, I know the latter two are starches, not veggies!)
I have one that is similar...

Take 3 or 4 boneless skinless breasts (I use them when they're still frozen) and place in crockpot. Sprinkle heavily with taco seasoning, add a can of cream of mushroom and a cup or so of picante sauce. Cook on low for about 6 or 8 hours.

I only used about a quarter to a third of the taco seasoning packet, but the original recipe called for a whole packet. That's just too much for me.

It's pretty good, I really liked the sauce. I served it over rice. I think that if you wanted to dice up the chicken and roll it into a flour tort, it would be a good chicken burrito too.

MamaMia
1/26/2008, 12:06 PM
Wow, thanks everybody. Its going to be fun to try all these recipes. My husband will eat just about anything but he really likes spicy dishes, so some of these are right up his alley. Thank you speks to you all. :D

TopDaugIn2000
1/26/2008, 07:40 PM
so I decided to make smothered steak today, but when I went to the pantry for cream of mushroom soup I realized I was out. Refusing to go to the store, I substituted cream of chicken soup instead. I'll report back how it turns out. Smells yummy, we'll see.

Ash
1/26/2008, 09:02 PM
Got a great recipe for pork chops that my wife's grandmother used to make, really easy, really GOOD! Goes with an easy casserole. PM me for the recipe if you'd like.

TopDaugIn2000
1/26/2008, 09:25 PM
FYI--worked great with cream of chicken soup too.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/27/2008, 05:40 AM
MamaMia,

To answer your question, yes and no. You can get this season's recipes for free, if you want others there is a subscription charge of $19.95. I haven't begrudged the charge.

TopDaugIn2000
1/31/2008, 03:29 PM
ran across this site today

http://lifestyle.msn.com/FoodandEntertaining/QuickandEasyMeals/slowcookerrecipes.aspx?GT1=10820

Miko
1/31/2008, 04:01 PM
I have used meals.com It is free. It will do the shopping list thing. Is easily searchable by a number of criteria like ingredient, method, ethnicity, diet (like low sodium etc)

And it has slow-cooker as a search method.

I think it is sponsored by Nestle or someone like that, so a lot of the stuff is from their product test kitchens, but many of the recipes are also user contributed. I think I put a few on there myself.

MamaMia
1/31/2008, 04:33 PM
MamaMia,

To answer your question, yes and no. You can get this season's recipes for free, if you want others there is a subscription charge of $19.95. I haven't begrudged the charge.Unless the recipes were deleted by a mod, I'll just get what I can for free thank you. :P

Thanks for the recipes guys. I'm having fun with my new slow cooker. I have lots of leftovers nicely packed in the freezer in case I'm gone. :)

TopDaugIn2000
1/31/2008, 04:46 PM
I use www.allrecipes.com a lot too. It's free for nearly all of their recipes.

Scott D
1/31/2008, 04:49 PM
none of you are chefs, you are all sauciers

MamaMia
1/31/2008, 04:51 PM
none of you are chefs, you are all sauciers:eek:

Scott D
1/31/2008, 04:54 PM
back in the crock pot and make me some red wine sauce for the ravioli :D