PDA

View Full Version : Surprise contributors under Stoops:

goingoneight
1/25/2008, 02:37 AM
I think this topic is always fun to bring up, so I'll ask the question... who do you think will "surprise" next season based on something you've maybe seen, heard or know?

1999: I have to go with Josh Heupel as the surprise contributor. It was a shock to see OU go all pass-pass, but what was even more shocking is the guy straight out of Junior College playing immediately like a Heisman candidate after OU's bad stretch during the 90's. He changed the face of Oklahoma football back to dominant, but with a different style.

2000: Quentin Griffin. I just have to go with Q. Statistically, he's not a Heisman candidate, but God almight was he fast, elusive and we could use him all over the field. He may not have invented the shovel pass, but he made it his own. Torrance Marshall and J.T. Thatcher are honroable mention.

2001: SuperRoy's only competition was Jason White. Since when does a backup quarterback with no experience come in and beat an undefeated arch rival? About as often as men fly. Yes, Jason was a good one, but his time later would come to surprise... much later, unfortunately. Signature play of the Stoops era goes to the 2001 surprise contributor. He went from backup to solid starter to Superman. Honorable mention is JW and Tommie Harris.

2002: This is a tough one. Harris had another great year, Q was just a few carries away from becoming OU's rushing leader, Nate Hybl wins a BCS MVP trophy. Renaldo Works was solid as well. No real surprised that year to he honest. We expected them to be good, and had no expectation after Jason got hurt again. Mark Clayton... just for fun.

2003: JW... period. Honorable mention: Dan Cody.

2004: Do we really need to ask this question?

2005: Shocked the hell out of me that bomar could actually play quarterback when he held onto the snap correctly. Still, though... not a surprise considering the hype. Rufus Alexander in my books with true-frosh Malcom Kelly who quickly got my respect after his first deep ball against aTm. RUUUUUUUUU!!!

2006: That Paul Thompson and that AP guy. Yeah... those two shocked the hell outta me. PT for his leadership and solid play (all things considered) and Allen Patrick for stepping into the shoes of the man, AD without fault. "The drive" was among the most exciting Sooner moments in my Sooner fandom history.

2007: Can you say... wide-eyed freshmen quarterback leads the nation in pass efficiency and sets every freshmen passing record known to man??? So yeah, I liked watching him beat a bad Miami team and play solid against Tulsa, but his three touchdown performance against Texas was more than solid... it was a thing of beauty. He looked like a Heisman that day. Honorable mention: Curtis Lofton.

Now... the fun part.

The obvious choices do not count. So saying Jermaine Gresham is in for a good year or DeMarco Murray takes it to another level is just obvious given a healthy campaign. I'm talking about guys who are probably in the doghouse in fans eyes who could step it up to AA status next year. Like... big surprise-kinda stuff. Like... Ryan Reynolds wins the Butkus Award, Quentin Chaney has a 1,000 yard season, maybe someone's making a position change and ends up All-conference? Maybe someone has an Antonio Perkins-caliber punt-returning season in the absence of Reggie Smith?

I think Jeremy Beal is in for plenty of plays, even if John Williams returns. Beal, Manuel Johnson and Quentin Chaney finally look like polished receivers and have never had major injuries that hinder their speed thus far, Keith Nichol... you never know when you need your backup (see Hybl-White, Rhett Bomar BRSI and Texas Tech 2007)... and he'll be the same age as Bradford was when he tore them up next season.

* I think Nichol becomes the #2 guy, but won't play unless absolutely needed, to possibly get back that redshirt year. Halzle takes over the important McEachern position I think...
* Murray, if healthy... will be just as good if not better with more carries to look like the star he is on paper.
* Manuel Johnson and Quention Chaney will leave Oklahoma on a great note after four years of people bashing them for developing a little slower than stars like Clayton and Kelly.
* Auston English will return to his play-making ways.
* Having Willaims/Beal on the outside looks good.
* Gerald McCoy continues to develop, but not a superstar quite yet.

Frozen Sooner
1/25/2008, 02:43 AM
How would Tommie Harris be considered a surprise contributor? Kid was a five-star recruit who was ranked as the #1 DT in the county and one of the best DT prospects in years.

I would go with Clayton as the surprise contributor in 2001. Very lightly recruited, nobody had really heard about him, and he becomes our go-to guy vs. Texas.

yermom
1/25/2008, 02:48 AM
Chaney actually looked good in Glendale...

i hope the answer is Reed or Reynolds

Frozen Sooner
1/25/2008, 02:48 AM
Lamont Robinson is a good candidate for a breakout performance.

jtothep
1/25/2008, 03:14 AM
I have to go with Austin Box

CincySooner
1/25/2008, 09:31 AM
I don't see how TRRWs contributions were a surprise in 2001. He just turned his circa-2000 game up a notch.

And I vote for JT Thatcher in 2000. A former WR/RB becoming a consensus all-american at DB?

King Crimson
1/25/2008, 09:41 AM
And I vote for JT Thatcher in 2000. A former WR/RB becoming a consensus all-american at DB?

plus, Thatcher scored a sackful of TD's in 00 on INTs and returns.

Collier11
1/25/2008, 11:42 AM

Thats what im hoping for, will he be a JR or SR?

SouthFortySooner
1/25/2008, 11:50 AM

Seems I remember someone saying he wasn't developing weight/size/strength as hoped/expected. Know anything about the validity of this premise?

Sco
1/25/2008, 12:38 PM
Mossis Madu as the second RB in line. Watch out.

Breadburner
1/25/2008, 02:20 PM
Next year I'm going with Jeremy Beal to be a monster.......

r5TPsooner
1/25/2008, 03:13 PM
Chaney actually looked good in Glendale...

i hope the answer is Reed or Reynolds

Reynolds, heh. You did see his performance late in the year correct?

Collier11
1/25/2008, 03:14 PM
Reynolds, heh. You did see his performance late in the year correct?

I think his knees and lack of conditioning played into that, hopefully he will be more healthy this spring

r5TPsooner
1/25/2008, 03:36 PM
I think his knees and lack of conditioning played into that, hopefully he will be more healthy this spring

I hope you are correct because he couldn't cover me in pass defense let alone chase down a speedy RB.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/25/2008, 06:30 PM
Surprise contributors:

Walk on Bubba Burcham
walk on Roger Steffen
walk on Cory Heinecke
walk on Tim Duncan

madillsoonerfan5353
1/25/2008, 07:27 PM
Mossis Madu as the second RB in line. Watch out.

Chris Brown???

madillsoonerfan5353
1/25/2008, 07:28 PM

+1

LittleWingSooner
1/25/2008, 07:46 PM
1999-Josh Heupel gets a vote simply because some people here didn't even know how to pronounce his name. But he was our best QB.

I'll say Brandon Daniels. He was switching positions and it was unsure if he could really be a good receiver. If he was a receiver for 2 or 3 years at OU he probably makes it to the NFL.

2000-Derrick Strait. He was a very solid corner as a freshman. He would only get better. I don't think anyone thought he would be that good. Mike Woods was a solid CB the year before he was replacing(not the human flame Pee Wee Woods was the year before)

2001-Tommie Harris. He was just special as a freshman and made our defense unbelievable.

2002-Quentin Griffin in conference play. Early in the season a lot of people on this board were wanting Works to replace him, especially after the Bama game. He ended up running for almost 2000 yards.

2003-Jason White, it would be Renaldo Works if he didn't get hurt. He could have gotten 11 or 1200 yards easily if he wasn't hurt.

2004-Mark Bradley he didn't get the ball near enough in 2003 but in 2004 he seemed to get a TD every time he got it.

2005-Clint Ingram. He was basically a bench player 3 years and was a stud in 05. Iggy was a surprised contributor also.

2006-Paul Thompson. Proved that he was the best QB we had in 05 IMO.

2007-Sam Bradford. Going in nobody thought he would be this good. Some people thought Keith Nichol would beat him out late in the fall. Keith Nichol still has to beat out Halzle.

KingDavid
1/25/2008, 09:24 PM
+2.

Part of me wishes it would be John Williams, though, just because all of the shyt that kid has been through.

goingoneight
1/26/2008, 01:25 AM
1999-Josh Heupel gets a vote simply because some people here didn't even know how to pronounce his name. But he was our best QB.

I'll say Brandon Daniels. He was switching positions and it was unsure if he could really be a good receiver. If he was a receiver for 2 or 3 years at OU he probably makes it to the NFL.

2000-Derrick Strait. He was a very solid corner as a freshman. He would only get better. I don't think anyone thought he would be that good. Mike Woods was a solid CB the year before he was replacing(not the human flame Pee Wee Woods was the year before)

2001-Tommie Harris. He was just special as a freshman and made our defense unbelievable.

2002-Quentin Griffin in conference play. Early in the season a lot of people on this board were wanting Works to replace him, especially after the Bama game. He ended up running for almost 2000 yards.

2003-Jason White, it would be Renaldo Works if he didn't get hurt. He could have gotten 11 or 1200 yards easily if he wasn't hurt.

2004-Mark Bradley he didn't get the ball near enough in 2003 but in 2004 he seemed to get a TD every time he got it.

2005-Clint Ingram. He was basically a bench player 3 years and was a stud in 05. Iggy was a surprised contributor also.

2006-Paul Thompson. Proved that he was the best QB we had in 05 IMO.

2007-Sam Bradford. Going in nobody thought he would be this good. Some people thought Keith Nichol would beat him out late in the fall. Keith Nichol still has to beat out Halzle.

I understand how some people buy into high school hype and "aren't surprised" when a five star shows up early... but wow did Tommie and AD show up. They were the biggest surprises in their first seasons because they played like All-Amercians and some of the best ever at OU as green n00bs. NTM, AD was mature as a fifth-year senior.

OU_Sooners75
1/26/2008, 06:53 AM
Simply put. The answer will be Mike Reed, as long as he gets on the field and is past his troubles.

LiL10(s)ArEaJoKe
1/26/2008, 07:50 AM
Murray will be the surprise, when he walks up on stage to receive his Heisman Trophy.........

BOOMER

LittleWingSooner
1/26/2008, 12:08 PM
I understand how some people buy into high school hype and "aren't surprised" when a five star shows up early... but wow did Tommie and AD show up. They were the biggest surprises in their first seasons because they played like All-Amercians and some of the best ever at OU as green n00bs. NTM, AD was mature as a fifth-year senior.

I honestly couldn't think of another one for 2001. It probably would have been Jason White had he not tore his knee. But he didn't play enough.

I didn't even think about AD in 2004. He's a good pick. I never expected him to be quite that good coming out of HS. But he was never as good as he was as a freshman really.

BoulderSooner79
1/26/2008, 12:50 PM
I didn't even think about AD in 2004. He's a good pick. I never expected him to be quite that good coming out of HS. But he was never as healthy as he was as a freshman really.

Fixed.

melveaz
1/26/2008, 04:13 PM
Granger.

Desert Sapper
1/26/2008, 04:41 PM
Somebody will need to step up in a lot of places on D. My guess is Lamont Robinson. He showed a spark as a sophomore this past year, but didn't get in much. I think Box or Lewis gets in the mix, too. LB should be fun to watch this year. Especially now with JR Bryant comitting out of Garden City CC and Mike Balogun committing from Lackawanna CC. Dan Franklin probably redshirts, but I'm very interested to see what happens.

Our D secondary should be a great place to look for surprise contributors, too. Jonathan Nelson, Quinton Carter, Dom Franks, and others will be looking for a starting spot.