PDA

View Full Version : looking for a place in Playa Del Carmen Mx

OUHOMER
1/24/2008, 10:11 PM
going on vacation to Mexico, thinking bout Playa Del Carmen area. Any know*******s?????????????

here is what i want
1. ocean view- not thru 2 building and 4 trees a real view
2. nice beach
3. all inclusive
4. not too big , not too little ( dont need to big a crowd)
5. decent food.
6. dont want to have to dress up for dinner. Shorts and t shirts work for me.

unless i have had to much to drink, then no shirt..OH, And i am fat.:D

Boarder
1/24/2008, 10:54 PM
Do not under any circumstances go to El Dorado. That's the only advice I can give.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/24/2008, 11:21 PM
I'm posting in this thread so it will show up on my CP later.

Shneeg11
1/24/2008, 11:37 PM
Not sure what the price range is, but I would definitely look into Riu

http://www.riu.com/en/playa-del-carmen-mexico.html

Those are all of the Riu hotels in Playa. Hotel Riu is a really nice group of hotels, we just stayed at one in Cabo over New Year's, and some friends and I are going to Puerto Vallarta and staying in a Riu here pretty soon.

I don't know what your budget is, so if you can do one of the Hotel Riu Palace hotels, I would

Jimminy Crimson
1/25/2008, 12:12 AM
Not sure if it fits all your criteria, but my parents have recently stayed at the Royal Hideaway in PDC. They liked it.

That's all I got.

OUHOMER
1/25/2008, 06:15 AM
Not sure what the price range is, but I would definitely look into Riu

http://www.riu.com/en/playa-del-carmen-mexico.html

Those are all of the Riu hotels in Playa. Hotel Riu is a really nice group of hotels, we just stayed at one in Cabo over New Year's, and some friends and I are going to Puerto Vallarta and staying in a Riu here pretty soon.

I don't know what your budget is, so if you can do one of the Hotel Riu Palace hotels, I would

I had a friend stay at the rui, I know they have a couple of them, Said it was very nice, no real complaints other than, they had to dress for dinner( long pants etc).

OUHOMER
1/25/2008, 06:16 AM
Not sure if it fits all your criteria, but my parents have recently stayed at the Royal Hideaway in PDC. They liked it.

That's all I got.

I was looking at this one. Its a little more expensive than the others

OUHOMER
1/25/2008, 06:18 AM
Do not under any circumstances go to El Dorado. That's the only advice I can give.

We were looking at this one, what is wrong with it?????????????

Condescending Sooner
1/25/2008, 09:49 AM
I went to El Dorado Royale several years ago and it was nice. It must have went downhill quickly.

jeremy885
1/25/2008, 10:00 AM
I had a friend stay at the rui, I know they have a couple of them, Said it was very nice, no real complaints other than, they had to dress for dinner( long pants etc).

I stayed at the Riu hotel in the Bahamas (right next to Atlantis) and I liked it. You only need to dress up if you go to one of their restaurants. You would be fine at the buffet.

Boarder
1/25/2008, 11:33 AM
Apparantly they have two El Dorados. One is a little south of PDC. I have heard there's a new one that's nicer (must be the Royale). The one I mean bills itself as "secluded, quiet, etc". It was the biggest piece of crap place in the world. If you've been to Vegas imagine if the Imperial Palace made a resort out of itself. It's tolerable but not what you really want for a Mexico vacation.

The "beach" was actually like a reef that you could hardly even wade in. The breakfast was so bad I could only eat some of the fruit. At the time I drank and all they had was generic brand liquor. The "disco" was a tiny little place that was literally so dark you couldn't see your hand in front of your face. That was probably masking something i don't even want to know about. It was generally just crappy. All around. But, I did get a really funny story out of it.

We got there one night and ended up leaving the next afternoon after complaining to MLT. that morning I was there I got up and went to the "gym" to work out. Imagine Gilligan and the Skipper's hut with some (and I say this loosely) workout equipment. They had a treadmill that was from like 1976. The front cover rattled so bad while it was moving i ended up kicking it off while running. The weight bench looked like they bought it at Sears in '82. The funniest thing was this other dude working out. I was on the treadmill and saw the whole thing. He was doing standing overhead triceps presses with one of the dumbells. The dumbells were the bar that you put whatever weight on and screwed the collar on the end. He was holding them overhead with the dumbell behind his head and pressing up. you get the picture. Anyway, on about the 3rd rep, all of the weights fell off the bar onto the ground. He about crapped himself from terror and I about peed myself from laughing. I was like, "Wow, this place sucks, it's going to be quite a vacation." but I was going to just roll with it and have a story. Then on the way back to the room I saw the other couple of our group and he told me he had been on the phone with the MLT chick and we were leaving. I was quite relieved. We went to, I think, the Omni. It was nice. Funny how you remember the sucky parts more than the nice ones.

TheUnnamedSooner
1/25/2008, 12:50 PM
I'm posting in this thread so it will show up on my CP later.

me too.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/25/2008, 01:35 PM
I've been to Destin, to Aruba and to Cozumel. I have friends who swear by going to PDC, but I'm not sold.

Can anyone give me some advice on beaches that have 1) lots of white sand that isn't rocky 2) clear water 3) ocean front property with ocean view rooms?

Position Limit
1/25/2008, 03:36 PM
if you want mcdonalds, gap stores, and buffet style resorts go to playa del carmen. if you want the opposite, get involved with isla mujeres. you'll actually feel like you been somewhere when you leave. the island is so empty, it feels like yours. seriously.

Osce0la
1/25/2008, 03:57 PM
I'm posting in this thread to bump up my post count...

Shneeg11
1/25/2008, 05:46 PM

They told us you needed pants, but we wore shorts to the restaurants every night, not just the buffet, and they didn't ever turn us away or say anything

TheUnnamedSooner
1/25/2008, 07:09 PM
I'm posting in this thread to bump up my post count...

Me too.

SoonerBorn
1/25/2008, 07:30 PM
Apparantly they have two El Dorados. One is a little south of PDC. I have heard there's a new one that's nicer (must be the Royale). The one I mean bills itself as "secluded, quiet, etc".

The one south of PDC is the El Dorado Seaside Suites (http://www.eldoradosparesorts.com/doradoseaside/) (unless there's another I don't know about). That may be the one you are talking about, although I don't remember a disco. But the presence of free booze may be the explanation for me not remembering it.

We went there on our honeymoon back in October 2007. I blogged (http://blog.360.yahoo.com/blog-AW5.iDY0d7bObuTI4bsC1Q--?cq=1&p=61) about it, if that's helpful to anyone. We enjoyed ourselves and are planning to go back this year with a group. We stayed in one of the swim-up suites, which is a little bit of a walk to the beach, but they're newer and quieter.