PDA

View Full Version : Fair or not??

Sooner_Havok
1/24/2008, 08:38 PM
What is the SO take on this?

linky (http://phoenixnewtimes.com/2008-01-24/news/the-wrong-driver/)

1stTimeCaller
1/24/2008, 08:47 PM
no

Sooner_Havok
1/24/2008, 08:50 PM
no

So I take it you think that the cops should have thrown a rich white girl in jail?

Hamhock
1/24/2008, 08:51 PM
it is not fair that you would expect me to read an article of that length.

i did see mention of posing in a bikini...that sounds fair.

Sooner_Havok
1/24/2008, 08:53 PM
it is not fair that you would expect me to read an article of that length.

i did see mention of posing in a bikini...that sounds fair.

Why am I not surprised that you keyed in on the word "bikini"?:D :D

1stTimeCaller
yes. A drunk, white girl that has rich parents should have been thrown in jail and charged with negligent homicide at the very least. Along with DUI and numerous traffic violations.

The black guy should have been charged with leaving the scene of an accident.

soonerinabilene
The guy should face charges for leaving the scene of an accident, but thats about it. If the uturn was legal, I dont see how the manslaughter charges would stick. I think the NAACP overreacts to a lot of things, but this is definetly one case where a black person needs their legal team. And the rich bitch should be in jail, or at least get a dui.

Sooner_Havok
1/24/2008, 08:57 PM
Yeah, it sounds like they are railroading this guy.

Whet
1/24/2008, 09:42 PM
I guess I shouldn't mention this, but my DW is with the same "highly-respected firm" in Chicago. That being said, the guy was responsible for causing the accident. He left the scene and had been smoking hooch and drinking (although not legally drunk when given the blood test)

This story is not a race issue, it is a money issue.....

Tailwind
1/24/2008, 10:20 PM
Not fair. Charge the princess.

usmc-sooner
1/24/2008, 10:28 PM
the real issue is was the black guy offended?

1stTimeCaller
1/24/2008, 10:51 PM
how did he cause the accident? The article says that where he made the U Turn it was legal to do so.

usmc-sooner
1/24/2008, 10:57 PM
I would think that if he was totally innocent a prosecutor wouldn't charge him like that. Although that white girl should get a ****load of charges thrown her way.

1stTimeCaller
1/24/2008, 10:59 PM
it would be easier for the assistant DA to convict the poor guy with a public defender than it would be to convict a rich girl that lost a friend in the accident and has an army of good attorneys.

that's my guess.

SCOUT
1/24/2008, 11:02 PM
That article is the epitome of journalism today. They produce a story showing how an injustice has been done against this black man at the hands of the rich white girl. My point isn't about race but rather reporting an opinion of the situation rather than an impartial recounting of the event.

They give facts, but not enough to make an informed decision on our own.

I have no idea if it was fair. From the article it doesn't sound like it was, but is also sounds sensationalized.

usmc-sooner
1/24/2008, 11:03 PM
it would be easier for the assistant DA to convict the poor guy with a public defender than it would be to convict a rich girl that lost a friend in the accident and has an army of good attorneys.

that's my guess.

man I hope that's not the case.

1stTimeCaller
1/24/2008, 11:07 PM
my buddy that's the ADA in Anadarko tells me that none of the people he has put in jail or tried to were there for singing too loud in Church!

usmc-sooner
1/24/2008, 11:53 PM
my buddy that's the ADA in Anadarko tells me that none of the people he has put in jail or tried to were there for singing too loud in Church!

Ada is not even close to Anadarko :D

Jimminy Crimson
1/25/2008, 12:23 AM
Race should have nothing to do with it.

If you're not a cop, you shouldn't make a U-turn (legal or not) on a highway. Wait until the next exit and then get back on. It seems there have been a couple of U-turn deaths on the Turner Turnpike recently.

Sooner_Havok
1/25/2008, 12:48 AM
Race should have nothing to do with it.

If you're not a cop, you shouldn't make a U-turn (legal or not) on a highway. Wait until the next exit and then get back on. It seems there have been a couple of U-turn deaths on the Turner Turnpike recently.

Those would be illegal no matter what.

yermom
1/25/2008, 01:20 AM
i don't think i would call .049 "sober" add weed to that.

how long did they wait for the blood test?

yeah, he's getting railroaded, but innocent he is not. and that girl should be in jail with him.

Jimminy Crimson
1/25/2008, 01:43 AM
Those would be illegal no matter what.

True, but I know one was a cop.

Frozen Sooner
1/25/2008, 03:12 AM
He was making a legal turn.

She was traveling too fast to stop in time-which is a violation in and of itself, because it means you're tailgating or traveling too fast for conditions-and legally intoxicated. She was driving with a passenger she was well-aware was not properly restrained.

If nothing else, she's guilty of depraved indifference to the life of others.

A .049 BAC is nothing.

SicEmBaylor
1/25/2008, 03:33 AM
It's a travesty. She should have her *** hauled off to jail, and he should be released with the apologies of the state.

Okla-homey
1/25/2008, 06:54 AM
Moral of the story: Life is a poop sandwich. The more bread you got, the less poop you gotta eat.

Sad, but there it is.

Therefore, stay in school, work hard and if you're poor, you better dang well keep your nose clean and avoid legal entanglements. Otherwise, GADOCADWI.

Harry Beanbag
1/25/2008, 07:48 AM
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=17061383

RacerX
1/25/2008, 08:01 AM
I always love the "I don't know why I fled the scene of a crime" line.

Geez.

OUDoc
1/25/2008, 09:06 AM
They are both idiots.

soonerinabilene
1/25/2008, 09:22 AM
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=17061383

If anything she should be in jail for having the dooshiest top friend of all time.

Seriously, in Texas a minor that has any alcohol at all in their blood while driving is automatically charged with a dui. Dont know if they have a law like that in Arizona, but the skank needs to be in jail.

Hamhock
1/25/2008, 09:31 AM
did anyone see the story on the tulsa news last week where the Muskogee police shot a woman's dog? the lady was on there crying about how the dog was more of a child to her than a pet. she didn't' know how she was going to go on and she was, of course, pursuing legal action.

at the very tail end of the story, the reporter says, "the woman admits she was involved in a domestic dispute when police arrived" the dog was a st. Bernard.

soonerhubs
1/25/2008, 09:31 AM
The comments posted about this article are of interest to me. The reactions of some of those involved appears to be very strong and full of anger and pain, but it could be fabricated.

yermom
1/25/2008, 09:46 AM
He was making a legal turn.

She was traveling too fast to stop in time-which is a violation in and of itself, because it means you're tailgating or traveling too fast for conditions-and legally intoxicated. She was driving with a passenger she was well-aware was not properly restrained.

If nothing else, she's guilty of depraved indifference to the life of others.

A .049 BAC is nothing.

i'll bet it's enough (especially combined with weed) to impair you enough to decide it's a good idea to leave the scene of an accident

sooner_born_1960
1/25/2008, 10:39 AM
depraved indifference
One of Jack McCoy's favorites. (Law and Order)

85Sooner
1/25/2008, 02:05 PM
yes. A drunk, white girl that has rich parents should have been thrown in jail and charged with negligent homicide at the very least. Along with DUI and numerous traffic violations.

The black guy should have been charged with leaving the scene of an accident.

Eggggggsacxtly.

Harry Beanbag
1/25/2008, 03:52 PM
i'll bet it's enough (especially combined with weed) to impair you enough to decide it's a good idea to leave the scene of an accident

I don't know. What is 0.049, like one beer in an hour for the average person? It's not much.

yermom
1/25/2008, 04:00 PM
more like 2-3, depends on what you mean by "average" i guess

http://www.ou.edu/oupd/bac.htm

0.04 — 0.06 BAC: Feeling of well-being, relaxation, lower inhibitions, sensation of warmth. Euphoria. Some minor impairment of reasoning and memory, lowering of caution. Your behavior may become exaggerated and emotions intensified (Good emotions are better, bad emotions are worse)

just because it's below the legal limit doesn't mean it's not affecting you

Frozen Sooner
1/25/2008, 04:02 PM
One of Jack McCoy's favorites. (Law and Order)

Probably where I lifted it from. It's a nice turn of phrase. :D

TMcGee86
1/25/2008, 04:51 PM
interesting how the article fails to mention how much longer it was that the blood test was taken, and what the level was for drugs in his system.

that being said, I agree, both are at fault here.

walkoffsooner
1/25/2008, 05:12 PM
Ask him how many times the last Da got stopped for drunk driving. Sounds like the same system:eek:

1stTimeCaller
1/25/2008, 05:20 PM
Heck, Tony was pulled over dozens if not hundreds of times while being drunk. The reason his little boy is after the Sheriff is due to one of his deputies actually giving daddy a DUI.

walkoffsooner
1/25/2008, 05:51 PM
I knew it was a lot I would just like to see one set of laws inforced. Is he after Cain or the guy in Grady Co?

1stTimeCaller
1/25/2008, 05:53 PM
the guy in Grady County. The DA's cousin embezzled all that money from the Grady County YMCA and he got probation.