PDA

View Full Version : Kite makers in Oklahoma

BigRedJed
1/24/2008, 02:30 PM
Is anyone aware of a person or company in the state that makes kites? I know of one guy in OKC who has a store and also makes high-performance (and high-dollar) kites. But I'm interested in someone who makes quality but less expensive recreational type kites, the kind that might retail for $20-$75.

They HAVE to be kites that are made in Oklahoma.

frankensooner
1/24/2008, 02:36 PM
http://www.kinetickites.com/BARGIN/bargin.htm

I dunno if they are made here

I guess you are probably talking about Tom Arbster and since this is his store, I am no help at all. sorry

NYC Poke
1/24/2008, 02:37 PM
Is anyone aware of a person or company in the state that makes kites? I know of one guy in OKC who has a store and also makes high-performance (and high-dollar) kites. But I'm interested in someone who makes quality but less expensive recreational type kites, the kind that might retail for $20-$75.

They HAVE to be kites that are made in Oklahoma.

Try to get in touch with Richard Dermer, owner of The Hideaway in Stillwater. He's a huge kite enthusiast. If you called the restaurant and let them know why you wanted to speak to him, I'm sure he'd get back to you.

BigRedJed
1/24/2008, 02:48 PM
Yeah, Tom at Kinetic is who I've spoken with. He specializes in performance kites, and is frankly working to sell his business. Nice guy, but I don't think he's going to be able to help me with what I need. He also is the guy who supplies kites to the Hideaway restaurants for display. I think I've run into a brick wall on both of those counts.

frankensooner
1/24/2008, 02:50 PM
Maybe this is a niche you can fill! ;)

BigRedJed
1/24/2008, 02:57 PM
Or maybe you can fill it, and sell me your kites!! ;)

Mjcpr
1/24/2008, 02:59 PM
Something tells me this isn't real current....

http://www.kitelife.com/archives/099/jeff.htm

Here's another, not so sure it's current either.

http://www.kinetickites.com/

BigRedJed
1/24/2008, 03:01 PM
Yeah. Been there, done that, on both counts. I'm one of the few posters on here that actually Googles a subject and otherwise tries to find the answer myself before starting a thread asking for advice.

Mjcpr
1/24/2008, 03:02 PM
Well why didn't you say so? :D

BigRedJed
1/24/2008, 03:03 PM
I swear there are people on this board who think that Soonerfans is their search engine.

yermom
1/24/2008, 03:13 PM
you can search on here?

what the hell are you trying to do anyway?

i'll make you a kite for $75...

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/24/2008, 03:38 PM
I heard that movie sucked. ;)

BigRedJed
1/24/2008, 03:44 PM
you can search on here?

what the hell are you trying to do anyway?

i'll make you a kite for $75...
No, but you can type in a question and eventually get back a whole bunch of answers. Some people do that instead of using a search engine.

And when I say I want a kite that retails for X amount, it means that it needs to cost me about half of that. It also needs to be quality. If you can manage that, get crackin'.

NYC Poke
1/24/2008, 04:12 PM
Yeah, Tom at Kinetic is who I've spoken with. He specializes in performance kites, and is frankly working to sell his business. Nice guy, but I don't think he's going to be able to help me with what I need. He also is the guy who supplies kites to the Hideaway restaurants for display. I think I've run into a brick wall on both of those counts.

A lot of the kites that Richard displays (or displayed back when I worked there) he had collected from kite festivals that he attends around the world. He also used to give demonstrations in schools where he'd teach kids how to make their own kites out of things like garbage bags.

Really, for anything that involves kiting in Oklahoma, I'd start with Richard.

BigRedJed
1/24/2008, 04:14 PM
Cool, thanks.

sooner_born_1960
1/24/2008, 04:16 PM
A couple dowel rods, a garbage bag and some string. Come on Jed, you can do it.

BigRedJed
1/24/2008, 08:22 PM
Poke, I chatted with Richard for a good twenty minutes. Very accomodating, and super nice. He gave me the name of a guy in Duncan who he thought made exactly the type of kites I'm looking for. Thanks for the tip.

Mongo
1/24/2008, 10:24 PM
and i thought I was the only one who started gay threads here:D

usmc-sooner
1/24/2008, 10:32 PM
But I'm interested in someone who makes quality but less expensive recreational type kites

have you ever been to a Walmart or K-Mart

woops didn't see the word quality the first time.

Curly Bill
1/24/2008, 11:39 PM
and i thought I was the only one who started gay threads here:D

Made me laugh. :D

SPEK

NYC Poke
1/25/2008, 01:39 AM
Poke, I chatted with Richard for a good twenty minutes. Very accomodating, and super nice. He gave me the name of a guy in Duncan who he thought made exactly the type of kites I'm looking for. Thanks for the tip.

Richard's a very cool guy. I could go on and on, a true classy Oklahoman. I'm glad you got in touch with him.

skycat
1/25/2008, 11:00 AM
If Jed would have just started hear, he could have saved himself all of that wasted Googling time.