PDA

View Full Version : **Okie Retired Military Veterans**

Lott's Bandana
1/24/2008, 07:42 AM
Did my taxes yesterday.

Last year's 50% has turned into this year's 75%! :P

We are now only paying Oklahoma state income tax on 25% of our Federal DFAS 1099R...

A very much appreciated new benefit and if I knew whom to thank for these "thanks"...

http://www.tax.ok.gov/faq/faqitm50.html

Okla-homey
1/24/2008, 07:49 AM
75% of my retired pay excluded from state taxation. sweet.

I want 100% though. Lots of states do so. We'll just have to stay after those fellers in the legislature.

Lott's Bandana
1/24/2008, 07:54 AM
Yeah Homey, check last year's return and make sure you took your 50%!!

Lott's Bandana
1/29/2008, 07:08 PM
I got my Okie tax refund back in 4 days!

Impressed again.

SoonerStormchaser
1/29/2008, 07:18 PM
And THAT'S why I have my taxes calculated for Texas...no state income tax. There's no gawdamn reason why Oklahoma should be taxing military personnel!

Sooner_Bob
1/29/2008, 07:22 PM
I got my Okie tax refund back in 4 days!

Impressed again.

Do 'em yourself?

Lott's Bandana
1/29/2008, 07:42 PM
Do 'em yourself?

Yup.

eFile Online

I itemize for biz expenses and it is still very easy, and inexpensive!

Recommended.

Lott's Bandana
1/29/2008, 08:18 PM
And THAT'S why I have my taxes calculated for Texas...no state income tax. There's no gawdamn reason why Oklahoma should be taxing military personnel!

Same reason I was a Florida resident until I retired.

Hey, I'll take the 75% gratefully, after all, I moved here from California.

SoonerStormchaser
1/29/2008, 08:29 PM
Yah...but the wife is ****ed cause we're gonna have to file "married filing separately" til we move to a state that doesn't have state income taxes.

Sooner_Bob
1/30/2008, 07:59 AM
Yup.

eFile Online

I itemize for biz expenses and it is still very easy, and inexpensive!

Recommended.

I've used TaxSlayer the last 3 or 4 years and can't complain about them either.

I might have to check eFile Online out.

1stTimeCaller
1/30/2008, 08:07 AM

I thought you were a resident of the State of Oklahoma when you joined the Air Force?

sooner_born_1960
1/30/2008, 08:41 AM
I think active duty military can pretty much claim any state they want for taxing purposes.

SoonerStormchaser
1/30/2008, 08:41 AM
Nope...I used my parents' address in Texas.

1stTimeCaller
1/30/2008, 09:03 AM
ahh, tax evaison.

Sooner_Bob
1/30/2008, 09:35 AM
You have to establish a state of legal residence for tax withholdings. Which can be any state that you have been stationed in or lived in while on duty.

I've lived in AZ and NM and paid OK income tax part of that time. Since we've moved back to OK I now pay OK income tax.

There was one year when we filed an AZ, NM and OK return because my wife worked in both AZ and NM and I had OK as my withholding state. Talk about a fun year to file taxes.

Lott's Bandana
1/30/2008, 12:52 PM
You have to establish a state of legal residence for tax withholdings. Which can be any state that you have been stationed in or lived in while on duty.

I've lived in AZ and NM and paid OK income tax part of that time. Since we've moved back to OK I now pay OK income tax.

There was one year when we filed an AZ, NM and OK return because my wife worked in both AZ and NM and I had OK as my withholding state. Talk about a fun year to file taxes.

No lie, California will tax you if you were EVAR stationed in California and a California legal resident, or joined from CA as a resident, even though you may have spent the last 50% of your career in and as a legal resident in, let's say, Florida, and also retired there. California will bill you for taxes on your retirement for the percentage of time you were stationed and/or a resident in that state. You never have to live in California again...you'll still get taxed by them.

See why I'm not complaining?