PDA

View Full Version : So I went and checked out Freebirds

Boarder
1/23/2008, 11:56 PM
I was intrigued and needed a dinner so I went to the one on Campus corner. Just to let you know, I love Chipotles and eat there whenever I can. I got a Freebird burrito (size 2 of 4) with white/dark meat chicken, rice, black beans, mixed cheese, guacamole, cilantro, hot tomatillo salsa. So here's my review on Freebirds vs. Chipotle:

Freebirds pros:
In Norman
4 different sizes of burrito
Choice of flour, wheat, spinach, or cayenne wrap
Chicken has choice of white meat, dark meat, or both.
Option to put chopped jalapenos or chopped cilantro on your burrito.

Cons:
No carnitas. That's my favorite by a longshot at Chipotle.
Guacamole good but not as good as Chipotle. However, I consider Chipotle's guacamole the best of any restaurant.
Mexican style rice not as good as cilantro rice at Chipotle.
Black beans or rice slightly undercooked tasting. I'm not a big fan of al dente rice or beans.

Wash:
Both great service. Maybe a slight nod to Freebird.
Both good chicken. Chipotle slightly better. Haven't tried the steak.
Good salsa. I like Chipotle's hot salsa. Although different, they're both tasty.
Pricing seemed about the same.

Freebirds had nachos and queso but that's not a big deal to me. If they were next door to each other I'd go to Chipotle mainly because of the carnitas. Freebirds is a completely acceptable alternative since it's here and Chipotle isn't. I thought it was good and I'll go back.

So. There you go.

proud gonzo
1/23/2008, 11:59 PM
do they have anything other than burritos?

william_brasky
1/24/2008, 12:04 AM
here's the kitchen staff

http://www.obsessedwithwrestling.com/pictures/f/freebirds/07.jpg

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/24/2008, 12:04 AM
I checked out Which Wich tonight. Pretty tasty.

Boarder
1/24/2008, 12:06 AM
do they have anything other than burritos?
Nachos, salad, chips and queso. They also had a 6" quesadilla for kids. I didn't look super close but that's what I remember.

KC//CRIMSON
1/24/2008, 12:18 AM
Do they have Barbacoa, Burrito Bowls, Margaritas, Specialty Beer, and Domestic Beer?

proud gonzo
1/24/2008, 12:21 AM
Nachos, salad, chips and queso. They also had a 6" quesadilla for kids. I didn't look super close but that's what I remember.in that case, I'll probably just stick to moe's unless there's a Chipotle around.

Boarder
1/24/2008, 12:36 AM
Do they have Barbacoa, Burrito Bowls, Margaritas, Specialty Beer, and Domestic Beer?
No Barbacoa, only chicken, steak, and veggie. I like the Chipotle barbacoa but love the carnitas.

No burrito bols. Just eat the tortilla!

No liquor, no beer. Beer license is pending I think. It said beer: coming soon.

It tasted a lot better than Moe's to me. It's definitely a mainly burrito place. It was pretty full tonight, too.

GottaHavePride
1/24/2008, 12:37 AM
So, like Atomic Burrito, but with more awesome?

Boarder
1/24/2008, 12:40 AM
I never went there when it was in Norman. Never really knew what it was. One of my sad regrets.

AllAboutThe'O'
1/24/2008, 12:59 AM
here's the kitchen staff

I couldn't resist, I just had to post this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQQ3XZNeiLk

yermom
1/24/2008, 01:45 AM
the steak is pretty good

i like Chipotle's rice and salsa better

and the barbacoa

Fraggle145
1/24/2008, 03:04 AM
Moes sucks. "Welcome to Sucky Burritos!"

Thought Freebirds was pretty good, the tomatillo hot salsa is good.

SoonerAtKU
1/24/2008, 10:05 AM
Moe's really does suck. Your unfunny names of your food make it needlessly hard to order your mediocre, bland crap.

TopDawg
1/24/2008, 10:30 AM
I checked out Which Wich tonight. Pretty tasty.

Welcome to 2007!

;)

Boomer.....
1/24/2008, 10:31 AM
Moe's really does suck. Your unfunny names of your food make it needlessly hard to order your mediocre, bland crap.

You guys are crazy!

King Crimson
1/24/2008, 10:34 AM
"flavored" tortillas are kind of a "90's" food concept and pretty much just window dressing. blindfolded i'd bet 3/4 people couldn't tell the difference between a reg white tortilla and one that has "spinach powder" in the mix to make it green.

yermom
1/24/2008, 10:39 AM
the Cayenne Corn one isn't bad...

Hatfield
1/24/2008, 10:56 AM
i used to drool just at the thought of atomic burrito

Boarder
1/24/2008, 11:40 AM
"flavored" tortillas are kind of a "90's" food concept and pretty much just window dressing. blindfolded i'd bet 3/4 people couldn't tell the difference between a reg white tortilla and one that has "spinach powder" in the mix to make it green.
You're absolutely right, the taste difference is tiny at the most. It looks cool to have a red burrito, though. :D

OUDoc
1/24/2008, 11:42 AM
Their queso rocks. Other than that, I agree.

Boomer.....
1/24/2008, 11:58 AM
No love for the Moe's free chips and salsa?

NormanPride
1/24/2008, 12:04 PM
Their salsas are not bad at all. That's my favorite part of Moe's.

Boarder
1/24/2008, 12:09 PM
I'm more interested in the burritos of each place.

r5TPsooner
1/24/2008, 12:53 PM
God himself couldn't make better guacamole than Chipotle does. What I really like about the Chipotle burrito is the corn salsa. It's jut different and tastes very good too.

When I get to Norman again around football season, I'll have to give Freebird's a try.

TopDawg
1/24/2008, 01:25 PM
I like Moe's guac (not my favorite, but good) and their Who is Kaiser Salsa. Their Moo-Moo is probably one of the best lunch bargains on Campus Corner.

We were going to go to FBs for lunch yesterday, but there was a long wait so we went to Moe's. They've stepped up the enthusiasm of their greeting now that they've got some competition. They had really let it slide lately.

yermom
1/24/2008, 01:29 PM
I'm more interested in the burritos of each place.

but the salsa goes on the burrito :D

Fraggle145
1/24/2008, 02:04 PM
I like Moe's guac (not my favorite, but good) and their Who is Kaiser Salsa. Their Moo-Moo is probably one of the best lunch bargains on Campus Corner.

We were going to go to FBs for lunch yesterday, but there was a long wait so we went to Moe's. They've stepped up the enthusiasm of their greeting now that they've got some competition. They had really let it slide lately.

IMO this would make me want to go to Moe's less. I hate that ****in' greeting. Shut the **** up and make my damn burrito :mad:

TopDawg
1/24/2008, 02:07 PM
I'm not a big fan of the greeting either. I could take it or leave it. I just thought it was funny that the (manufactured) enthusiasm level was almost as high as when they first opened.

walkoffsooner
1/24/2008, 02:10 PM
I have been eating at chipotle in CO. Springs for a few years the margaritas are suck. Food is good, but nothing like the burritoes the old man that walked around Lawton used to sale. Dog meat I think

NormanPride
1/24/2008, 02:41 PM
Wow.

setem
1/24/2008, 08:47 PM
I made the mistake of trying to eat a Chicken Monster today in the car on the way to baseball after class! There is rice in the floor boards of my car now!!! Pretty good burrito though!!! I like em better than Chipotle!

John Kochtoston
1/24/2008, 11:25 PM
here's the kitchen staff

Is there a Freebirds concession at the World Famous Sportatorium?

Tailgate
1/24/2008, 11:51 PM
Try the "badass bbq sauce" on a burrito at Freebirds. You won't go back.

soonerboomer93
1/24/2008, 11:58 PM
but the salsa goes on the burrito :D

salsa does not go on a burrito

:mad:

Boarder
1/25/2008, 12:02 AM
Try the "badass bbq sauce" on a burrito at Freebirds. You won't go back.
It sucks so bad you'll never return?

Jimminy Crimson
1/25/2008, 12:34 AM
It looks cool to have a red burrito, though. :D

That's what she said? :confused: :cool:

I had a carnitas burrito and chips+guac tonight from Chipotle. It was good, as always.

Sooner_Havok
1/25/2008, 12:59 AM
I decided to eat lunch there about an hour ago, place was pretty darn good. Walked past Moe's on the way back, nary a soul to be seen inside.

Freebirds totally p3wns Moe's

47straight
1/25/2008, 01:09 AM
Mexican style rice not as good as cilantro rice at Chipotle.

I cannot disagree more. The rice is one of the biggest reasons I can't stand Chipotle. I guess it's a coke and pepsi thing. I have no way to understand. There is an eternal gulch between us.

KC//CRIMSON
1/25/2008, 01:16 AM
I cannot disagree more. The rice is one of the biggest reasons I can't stand Chipotle. I guess it's a coke and pepsi thing. I have no way to understand. There is an eternal gulch between us.

You do realize they're "made to order" burritos, right?;)

I had three Chipotle tacos with rice today. They were face melters.

yermom
1/25/2008, 02:10 AM
salsa does not go on a burrito

:mad:

it does on mine :D

well, mostly IN the burrito

1/25/2008, 02:26 AM
I've always found Freebird an enjoyable, girth-adding experience. They don't have a drive-through which takes my morbid-obesity experience meter down a notch or two.

Other than that, you get a loaf of burrito for around $10. It tastes good and will feed a "normal" family of three.

It is an A&M creation, which may or may not be a factor in your decision.

Gig diddly 'em.

C&CDean
1/25/2008, 10:44 AM
I've never eaten at Moe's or Freebirds. I've had maybe 5-6 burritos from Chipotle. Not a single one of them were the religious, life-changing experience so many of you describe them as. The guacamole? OK, but far from "better than God's."

Also, if you're judging a burrito by the rice they put in it then you don't have a ****ing clue about burritos and deserve to get ****ty food. Yes, I know, you order it because it tastes good to you, yes, I know you have no mexican food barometer because all you know is ****ty mexican food, but putting rice in a meat/bean/cheese/salsa burrito is like pouring ketchup on a filet mignon.

Boarder
1/25/2008, 11:08 AM
Who said it was mexican food? It's a burrito.

Jimminy Crimson
1/25/2008, 04:28 PM
It is an A&M creation, which may or may not be a factor in your decision.

Well, Santa Barbara, originally. But how we know it today, yeah, Cultish Station. ;)

OUMonster
1/25/2008, 05:38 PM
Chipotle > Freebird IMO.

It seems like no matter what combination of tortilla, bean, meat, cheese, and salsa I get at Freebird it tastes the same every time. I'm burnt out on it.