PDA

View Full Version : Baylor 90, A&M 90 going to 4th OT

kelloggOUballa
1/23/2008, 11:04 PM
crazy game!

Sooner98
1/23/2008, 11:12 PM
I'm following it on Yahoo GameChannel. Is it on TV anywhwere?

Sooner98
1/23/2008, 11:20 PM
Tied at 99, 5th overtime coming up! Wowzers!

NYaggie
1/23/2008, 11:41 PM
Turgeon is gone after a season if he keeps this crap up...

Ardmore_Sooner
1/23/2008, 11:43 PM
5 OTS

Baylor 116
A&M 110

Final...

Wow Baylor had 5 players foul out!

Sooner98
1/23/2008, 11:48 PM
Turgeon is gone after a season if he keeps this crap up...

It sounded like if A&M just hits their free throws, they win comfortably.

Ardmore_Sooner
1/23/2008, 11:56 PM
It sounded like if A&M just hits their free throws, they win comfortably.

They shot almost 60 free throws! :eek:

Statalyzer
1/24/2008, 12:08 AM
At some the refs should have just said "Screw this, we declare it a tie."

tommieharris91
1/24/2008, 12:23 AM
At some point the refs shoulda started calling a really tight game so that one team had to forfeit.

Ash
1/24/2008, 12:26 AM
Just caught the sportscenter segment on the game. 69 fouls called in the game. :eek:

116 pts most ever by one team in Big 12 history...does this count Big 8 games, too, I swear Billy Ball produced at least one or two that were upwards of the century mark...

Rhino
1/24/2008, 02:28 AM
Just caught the sportscenter segment on the game. 69 fouls called in the game. :eek:

116 pts most ever by one team in Big 12 history...does this count Big 8 games, too, I swear Billy Ball produced at least one or two that were upwards of the century mark... Oh, absolutely doesn't include Big 8 records.

Our highest scoring game was in 1990, when we beat U.S. International, 173-101.

In fact, in OU Men's Basketball history, we've scored 116 or more points 47 times (http://soonerstats.com/basketball/men/recordbook/team/off_pts_game.cfm), just hasn't happened since the formation of the Big XII. Last two times were the spring of 1996 - the Big XII didn't officially start until that fall.

SicEmBaylor
1/24/2008, 02:37 AM
Wow. I don't like basketball, but WOW.

SleestakSooner
1/24/2008, 03:11 AM
Wow. I don't like anything but softball and tennis, but WOW.

Fixed :D

Chuck Bao
1/24/2008, 08:01 AM
I love basketball, men's and women's.

I love the spirit of college sports.

I'm proud to be a Baylor fan. Fans waiting to welcome the team back home is what it's all about.

Now about Saturday... Count on it being loud.

TopDaugIn2000
1/24/2008, 09:23 AM
those poor mascots. I remember the first OU Men's game I did went into triple OT vs. ISU. I was thinking "SOMEBODY JUST FREAKIN WIN THIS THING ALREADY!!!!!"

Ash
1/24/2008, 11:00 AM
Oh, absolutely doesn't include Big 8 records.

Our highest scoring game was in 1990, when we beat U.S. International, 173-101.

In fact, in OU Men's Basketball history, we've scored 116 or more points 47 times (http://soonerstats.com/basketball/men/recordbook/team/off_pts_game.cfm), just hasn't happened since the formation of the Big XII. Last two times were the spring of 1996 - the Big XII didn't officially start until that fall.

Awesome info, Rhino, thanks! I figured that was the case.

OUSKINS
1/24/2008, 11:50 AM
Good situation for OU on Saturday... all of a sudden, a loss at Baylor doesn't look bad at all. Everyone around the nation is going crazy about the Bears (rightfully so), which paints us in a real underdog role this Saturday w/o Blake.

In other words, I don't think a loss hurts us too badly, but a win would be really big.

A good situation.

SicEmBaylor
1/24/2008, 03:15 PM
Kick us out of the Big XII! We can't compete!

NYaggie
1/24/2008, 03:18 PM
Kick us out of the Big XII! We can't compete!

Once in 24 times for football = compete?

Once in 4 years for basketball = compete?

:pop:

SicEmBaylor
1/24/2008, 03:23 PM
Once in 24 times for football = compete?

Once in 4 years for basketball = compete?

:pop:

The measure of a school's conference worth is football and men's basketball's performance against Texas A&M?

Man, you Aggies really do have an inflated sense of self-worth. :pop:

MRNOTDUCKS
1/24/2008, 04:53 PM
Sic Em,

the Baylor fans ought not to get so excited after this win. Honestly, this A&M team is just not that good. So 5 OTs, a win is a win is win, but I hardly think this is the litmus test your fans seem to think it is.

Burning couches?
http://www.youtube.com/v/jy0ImFAOERY&rel=1&border=1

That said, Baylor has a good team. It remains to be seen if they are Tournament worthy though.

SicEmBaylor
1/24/2008, 05:00 PM
Sic Em,

the Baylor fans ought not to get so excited after this win. Honestly, this A&M team is just not that good. So 5 OTs, a win is a win is win, but I hardly think this is the litmus test your fans seem to think it is.

Burning couches?
http://www.youtube.com/v/jy0ImFAOERY&rel=1&border=1

That said, Baylor has a good team. It remains to be seen if they are Tournament worthy though.

Oh here we go, I knew this was coming.

OUSKINS
1/24/2008, 05:07 PM
I think Baylor fans have every right to be excited. Now, if they are making Final Four reservations, I might advise them to hold off for awhile, but to be excited about what their team is doing? I'm fine with that.

Look, "college sports" basically means football and men's basketball. No one really gives a darn about anything else.

And in those two areas, Baylor has been the laughinstock of the league since the Big 12 was formed-- and honestly, their ineptitude in football has REALLY hurt the conference--especially the teams in the south that play them every year-- it's like an added BYE week and that's never good in the end.

In basketball, they were showing signs of life until the debacle unfolded and their program became a sad joke. As fans, that must have been awful to endure and I'm sure at times they wondered if they could ever get back on track... I certainly had my doubts.

Now here we are, just a few years later, and Drew and Baylor have proven to not only have "survived" that ugly incident, but appear to be forming a competitive program.

Right now, they are ranked, they are #21 in the RPI, they are 15-2 and 4-0 in the Big 12. Considering their history, I would fully expect their fans to be excited.

SicEmBaylor
1/24/2008, 05:12 PM
I think Baylor fans have every right to be excited. Now, if they are making Final Four reservations, I might advise them to hold off for awhile, but to be excited about what their team is doing? I'm fine with that.

Look, "college sports" basically means football and men's basketball. No one really gives a darn about anything else.

And in those two areas, Baylor has been the laughinstock of the league since the Big 12 was formed-- and honestly, their ineptitude in football has REALLY hurt the conference--especially the teams in the south that play them every year-- it's like an added BYE week and that's never good in the end.

In basketball, they were showing signs of life until the debacle unfolded and their program became a sad joke. As fans, that must have been awful to endure and I'm sure at times they wondered if they could ever get back on track... I certainly had my doubts.

Now here we are, just a few years later, and Drew and Baylor have proven to not only have "survived" that ugly incident, but appear to be forming a competitive program.

Right now, they are ranked, they are #21 in the RPI, they are 15-2 and 4-0 in the Big 12. Considering their history, I would fully expect their fans to be excited.

I think everyone here is just looking to make it to the NCAA tournament. Beyond that, I haven't heard anyone have any great expectations. I think just making it to the dance is our goal this year.

The idea that our football program has "seriously hurt" the conference is an absolute joke. How exactly is that? Every Big XII team that has ever been in a position to go to the National Championship has gone regardless of the fact that they had to play Baylor. Furthermore, no team has ever been left out of a BCS game because they had Baylor on the schedule. So, I'm sitting here wondering exactly how the conference has been "seriously hurt" unless you are basing that on the fact that we haven't been bowling. Even that's a stretch -- how many of the minor bowls that we'd get into are really money makers?

Please....I think you should stop now.

MRNOTDUCKS
1/24/2008, 05:20 PM
I'm wondering if it's better to not go to bowls all together than to go and lose everytime like we have. I mean you aren't getting any press or exposure in December, but you aren't getting negative exposure or embarrassment, either. it's a toss-up...

SicEmBaylor
1/24/2008, 05:23 PM
I'm wondering if it's better to not go to bowls all together than to go and lose everytime like we have. I mean you aren't getting any press or exposure in December, but you aren't getting negative exposure or embarrassment, either. it's a toss-up...

Trust me, it'd be better to at least go to a bowl.

OUSKINS
1/24/2008, 05:28 PM
I think everyone here is just looking to make it to the NCAA tournament. Beyond that, I haven't heard anyone have any great expectations. I think just making it to the dance is our goal this year.

The idea that our football program has "seriously hurt" the conference is an absolute joke. How exactly is that? Every Big XII team that has ever been in a position to go to the National Championship has gone regardless of the fact that they had to play Baylor. Furthermore, no team has ever been left out of a BCS game because they had Baylor on the schedule. So, I'm sitting here wondering exactly how the conference has been "seriously hurt" unless you are basing that on the fact that we haven't been bowling. Even that's a stretch -- how many of the minor bowls that we'd get into are really money makers?

Please....I think you should stop now.

There are different levels of "hurt." To me, having a program as inept as Baylor has been year in and year out, is simply bad for the conference as a whole. Of course, playing Baylor hasn't "hurt" OU or Texas in terms of national recognition, and in a way, perhaps playing Baylor has helped in that regard.

However, having a game against Baylor just isn't fun. It isn't a measuring stick. Most people I know plan things around the Baylor game if they can. For example, I have several friends who got married on Baylor weekend because they knew no one would really care.

100% lack of competitiveness year in and year out from one program is simply bad for the conference as a whole. The Big 12 is strong enough to "carry" Baylor year to year and not have their top tier teams too hindered by it, but it still doesn't change the fact that it's a black eye for the conference.

MRNOTDUCKS
1/24/2008, 05:42 PM
well don't look now but they have a competitive basketball team, and Briles was a pretty nice hire

NormanPride
1/24/2008, 05:46 PM
Nobody wants to watch Baylor do anything. This hurts our TV exposure.

SicEmBaylor
1/24/2008, 05:48 PM
Nobody wants to watch Baylor do anything. This hurts our TV exposure.
I think Baylor fans probably do...

OUSKINS
1/24/2008, 05:53 PM
Curious...

Take all the BCS conferences: Then, take each school's bowl game drought.

Next, add to that number the drought for the men's NCAA tourney.

I can't say for sure, but I have a feeling Baylor would be high on the list (too lazy to find it myself).

I'd actually be interested if anyone can find this info: I'd like to see the total numbers and also which school has had the longest drought w/o going to a Bowl game or the Big Dance.

SOONER STEAKER
1/24/2008, 05:54 PM
Must have been a great game. Kudo's to BU for resurrecting a program in dissarray!! ;)

SleestakSooner
1/24/2008, 08:04 PM
It was a great game and good win for Baylor. As long as it was against another Big XII team besides OU I am glad for it. Now I hope they go on a nice losing streak starting this Saturday! Please, OU beat Baylor so Mr. "I don't like basketball" will GTFO OUr basketball forums for good!