PDA

View Full Version : Who replaces the Sooners leaving for the draft?

oupride
1/23/2008, 11:39 AM
Is it too early to discuss? I have not seen this discussed and am chompin at the bit about it! Here are the ones I know is confirmed to be leaving:
Reggie Smith
Malcolm Kelly
Curtis Lofton
Any ideas?

Collier11
1/23/2008, 11:42 AM
Is it too early to discuss? I have not seen this discussed and am chompin at the bit about it! Here are the ones I know is confirmed to be leaving:
Reggie Smith: Franks most likely, fleming, jackson are possible
Malcolm Kelly: Chaney will get first shot, Tennell
Curtis Lofton: Move Reynolds to middle seems most likely unless Reed gets his stuff together
Any ideas?

Thats the way I see it

IronHorseSooner
1/23/2008, 12:40 PM
Originally Posted by oupride
Reggie Smith: Franks most likely, fleming, jackson are possible
Malcolm Kelly: Chaney will get first shot, Tennell
Curtis Lofton: Move Reynolds to middle seems most likely unless Reed gets his stuff together
Any ideas?

Some of the new guys could step into those roles.
Reggie: Sims, Franks, or Lendy moves back to CB. Remember, the coaches must replace two corners.
Malcolm: Owens or Jarboe. If they get Julio, then him. Those young guys have too much talent to keep off of the field. But I agree, Cheney and Tennell will get the first shot.
Curtis: Coach Stoops went out and got Mike Balogan for a reason. I predict that the Mike LB will be like QB last year. There will 2-3 serious contenders, and a starter will be named at the end of 2-a-days. The competition should be between Balogan and Reed. Like CB, they must replace 2 LBs. Look for Austin Box to be in the lead for Baker's spot.

RedstickSooner
1/23/2008, 12:58 PM
I think Bob Stoops does. Or would it be the position coaches?

cjames317
1/23/2008, 01:21 PM
If Reed and Balogan are the only choices to play the "Mike" backer, does that mean Bradford will play the "Sam" backer?

JLEW1818
1/23/2008, 02:46 PM
Does anybody else besides me see Franks being the next Stud defensive player?

Collier11
1/23/2008, 03:00 PM

AGREED!

OU_Sooners75
1/23/2008, 05:24 PM
Reggie Smith
Malcolm Kelly
Curtis Lofton
Any ideas?

Franks
Iglesias
Reed or Balogun

LittleWingSooner
1/23/2008, 05:54 PM
Malcolm Kelly is easy to replace. We have some good young WRs and our best 2 WRs from last year return. Kelly was big early in the year but our best WRs later in the year were Johnson and Iggy. Kelly disappeared in some of the later games.

Franks and Holmes could start at corner. I think those are the best candidates. Could see a Desmond Jackson at corner or some other younger guy.

Lofton is the toughest hole to fill.

oupride
1/23/2008, 06:09 PM
Lofton is the toughest hole to fill.
If I had to pick one to worry about it would be Lofton.

JLEW1818
1/23/2008, 06:11 PM
This is kinda off topic, but is the OU vs ut game a week later in the year, for this upcoming season? If so is it impossible to get tickets too? What would the price range run me at?

Thanks

Collier11
1/23/2008, 06:14 PM
This is kinda off topic, but is the OU vs ut game a week later in the year, for this upcoming season? If so is it impossible to get tickets too? What would the price range run me at?

Thanks

Red River tix can be bought for around $100-$150

redpurple
1/23/2008, 06:39 PM
has julio jones said anything?

TMcGee86
1/23/2008, 06:40 PM
Malcolm: Owens or Jarboe. If they get Julio, then him. Those young guys have too much talent to keep off of the field.

I agree. Kelly as a freshman had better numbers than Wilson as a senior so I would not be surprised at all to see the young guys step in and contribute right away. Especially considering we are brining back our OL and QB, unlike what Kelly had to deal with his Fr. year.

BoulderSooner79
1/23/2008, 06:43 PM
Malcolm Kelly is easy to replace...

I think "easy" is a strong word here. It's hard to judge how much impact MK had just by being on the field and forcing attention from the D. But I agree we do have depth both on the team now and high-potential commits from recruits.

I'm worried about the injury to Tennell and how soon he'll be 100%. I noticed he was getting more snaps before he got hurt in the TT game. I'm also worried about DeMarco Murray for the same reason. We assume he'll step in as the main guy at RB, but he was basically carried off the field in Lubbock. Not good.

LittleWingSooner
1/23/2008, 08:04 PM
I think "easy" is a strong word here. It's hard to judge how much impact MK had just by being on the field and forcing attention from the D. B

Fact is our leading receiver from last year returns. I doubt we'll see a healthy Tennell. Knee injuries usually take a full year to see a full recovery. But Iggy had almost 70 catches last year. 19 more catches than Malcolm. Jermaine Gresham also returns with his 37 catches, and Manual Johnson had 31 catches most of them coming late in the year. Receiver is about the last position we have to worry about.

QB is the only position more proven on offense.

JLEW1818
1/23/2008, 08:16 PM
I would think Iggy would get Kelly type coverage this upcoming season. Sad but True.

birddog
1/23/2008, 08:32 PM
well then i'm glad we have a running game.

JLEW1818
1/23/2008, 08:33 PM
Iggy will still have a great year.

soonerhubs
1/23/2008, 08:35 PM
Nick,
I'm impressed with some of your, dare I say, optimism. I sort of feel that we'll be fine as long as QC continues to hone his skills.
I'm excited for next year. I just pray that DM heals quickly and nicely. He's the future if he recovers fully.

LittleWingSooner
1/23/2008, 09:30 PM
Nick,
I'm impressed with some of your, dare I say, optimism. I sort of feel that we'll be fine as long as QC continues to hone his skills.
I'm excited for next year. I just pray that DM heals quickly and nicely. He's the future if he recovers fully.

That may be an issues in the running game early on. But we still have Chris Brown who is a solid back and we have recruited well there with Madu also. I don't know about any of the freshmen coming in though.

If there's something to worry about next year it's on the defensive end. Although we should have a good front 4 on the line. The LBs, DBs have unproven elements. It'll still be good and after LSU's defense being bad this year and they still won it all it gives me hope. But there could be a game where our defense loses it for us.

MextheBulldog
1/23/2008, 10:54 PM

+Austin Box
+Mike Reed

JLEW1818
1/23/2008, 11:48 PM
I know the "pre"-season does not matter, but how many "pre"-season All-Americans will we have?? Harris, Duke, Loadholt ??? yall's thoughts....

goingoneight
1/24/2008, 01:02 AM
If Reed and Balogan are the only choices to play the "Mike" backer, does that mean Bradford will play the "Sam" backer?

And Nichol will take over for Nic Harris.

Sh**... where's PT when you need him? We need a QB again!!!1111!!!1

LittleWingSooner
1/24/2008, 01:03 AM
I know the "pre"-season does not matter, but how many "pre"-season All-Americans will we have?? Harris, Duke, Loadholt ??? yall's thoughts....

Bradford should be but he may be too young. Murray should be after getting 15 TDs last year as a freshman. Granger may be if he doesn't have any law trouble.

goingoneight
1/24/2008, 01:08 AM
I think "easy" is a strong word here. It's hard to judge how much impact MK had just by being on the field and forcing attention from the D. But I agree we do have depth both on the team now and high-potential commits from recruits.

I'm worried about the injury to Tennell and how soon he'll be 100%. I noticed he was getting more snaps before he got hurt in the TT game. I'm also worried about DeMarco Murray for the same reason. We assume he'll step in as the main guy at RB, but he was basically carried off the field in Lubbock. Not good.

For what it's worth, Murray was on TV during the BIG 12 CCG jumping up and down after Lofton's interception. That was pre-surgery I think... Hale and the 1430 guy both said it was arthroscopic surgery. That's good news if true. I had my knee scoped in 2001 and I've been fine ever since.