PDA

View Full Version : Best Mexican Food in the OKC Metro

frankensooner
1/23/2008, 10:07 AM
This is an extremely long pole. If you feel like making comments whilst I type, make it entertaining. kplzthks.

Mjcpr
1/23/2008, 10:09 AM
Ted's. No waiting, authentic Mexican....what more could you ask for?!

Curly Bill
1/23/2008, 10:10 AM
Not being near the OKC right now could someone send out some samples? OK, thanx.

jeremy885
1/23/2008, 10:11 AM
I never understood the fascination with Ted's. Wait sucked, service sucked, and the food was average.

Mjcpr
1/23/2008, 10:12 AM
I was just answering that one for BRJ, I'm sure I have never eaten Mexican food in OKC.

soonerinabilene
1/23/2008, 10:14 AM
This is an extremely long pole. If you feel like making comments whilst I type, make it entertaining. kplzthks.

Thats what she said.

sanantoniosooner
1/23/2008, 10:18 AM
train wreck thread

frankensooner
1/23/2008, 10:21 AM
Okay, done. I know I have to have left off a bunch, so feel free to write in and let me have it. Vote away and vote for as many as you like. Have a wonderful day!

SoonerStormchaser
1/23/2008, 10:21 AM
Frank, you forgot this one:
http://uncannyvalley.org/pix/711_image_09.jpg

frankensooner
1/23/2008, 10:24 AM
I wish we had a Casa Bonita with the cliff divers and games.

Oh, and for SSC, when I say vote for as many as you want, I didn't mean that many.

Boarder
1/23/2008, 10:30 AM
You should have made it where you can only vote for one.

Boarder
1/23/2008, 10:31 AM
I think you should redo and retype everything. Get on that quickly.

Boomer.....
1/23/2008, 10:41 AM
The Mont?

I don't usually consider that a Messican joint.

Boomer.....
1/23/2008, 10:43 AM
Authentic - Pepe Delgaldos

For pick up (because I am not going to wait 1-2 hours to eat) - Ted's Cafe Escondido

Otherwise - Tarahumaras

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/23/2008, 10:45 AM
Anyone who votes for Border Crossing probably thinks that Chung King makes fine Chinese food too.

crawfish
1/23/2008, 10:48 AM
I never understood the fascination with Ted's. Wait sucked, service sucked, and the food was average.

Whenever I've been there, I've had service people constantly attending my table. Our queso/salsa/chips/drinks were never empty for more than a minute or so. Fresh flour tortillas, as many as we could want, delivered. The portions are huge and the prices aren't bad. Salsa/queso is excellent, the food is better than average. Outside of the hour-long wait, it's a great experience, and one that I repeat as often as I can (which isn't much).

The only explanation - I think their wait staff secretly hates you.

crawfish
1/23/2008, 10:49 AM
BTW, I write in Freebird's.

frankensooner
1/23/2008, 10:51 AM
I have never had anything but excellent service at Teds. The set up is fantastic, but the dinners are just above average. It is nice to have great service.

Chelinos has some of the best Margaritas in OKC.

jeremy885
1/23/2008, 10:52 AM
Whenever I've been there, I've had service people constantly attending my table. Our queso/salsa/chips/drinks were never empty for more than a minute or so. Fresh flour tortillas, as many as we could want, delivered. The portions are huge and the prices aren't bad. Salsa/queso is excellent, the food is better than average. Outside of the hour-long wait, it's a great experience, and one that I repeat as often as I can (which isn't much).

The only explanation - I think their wait staff secretly hates you.

I've been there like 4 times before 2005 (when I moved to tejas), so my experience is limited. However, of those 4 times I never saw what made the place any different then any other Mexican restaurant.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/23/2008, 10:54 AM
If I remember correctly. Taco Tico used to have the cheapest taco burgers around...

frankensooner
1/23/2008, 11:02 AM
I don't think THA or SSC knows where Taco Rico is located, yet they voted for it. ;)

TheHumanAlphabet
1/23/2008, 11:17 AM
I'll confess. It was a test, I wanted to see if you could vote more than one, so I just checked a big bunch to see what happens. I fully expected to get an error, but it recorded. Mostly, many of the places are similar in menu and flavors, I guess it boils down to where you're comfortable.

And Franken, yeah, have no clue where Taco Rico is.

Hope I didn't skew the votes too bad.

soonerinabilene
1/23/2008, 11:24 AM
I here Ryan's has a mexican Beefaroni now, so I vote for that.

Boarder
1/23/2008, 11:38 AM
On The Border as the best? Are you people high? It's ok, tolerable, but the best?

TheHumanAlphabet
1/23/2008, 11:46 AM
That's what I mean - all to people's tastes. I would venture that any thing with the word Taqueria in it would beat out most of the named places.

BigRedJed
1/23/2008, 11:46 AM
I thought about selecting the Mont, as a nod to their heritage as The Monterrey, plus the best queso ever poured into a bowl, and the fact that it's one of my most sentimental favorite places in the metro.

But the only Mexican remaining on their menu is only so-so. I'll stick to the Miguel's Club sandwich.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/23/2008, 11:47 AM
I here Ryan's has a mexican Beefaroni now, so I vote for that.

Would a Denco's Darlin' work?

r5TPsooner
1/23/2008, 11:49 AM
On The Border as the best? Are you people high? It's ok, tolerable, but the best?

Give me a Taco Bell Taco Kit from the store and I can better that place at home.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/23/2008, 12:01 PM
There's a little hole in the wall place on SW 59th Street, a little west of Western. It's across the street from the Sonic. I forget what it is called, but it has about 4 booths and is attached to a Mexican grocery store. Not only can you get ice cold cerveza with your tasty Mexican food, you can also order a Mexican Coke if you wish. They have a different dish there called pesadilla that is very good but it isn't on their menu.

BTW, Sonora is owned by Sonia, Nino Aita's ex-wife, so if you liked Nino's back in the day, you will probably like Sonora.

Mixer!
1/23/2008, 12:25 PM
...Tacoville?

frankensooner
1/23/2008, 12:27 PM
Tacoville
3502 Newcastle Road
405-681-0661

Somebody go eat there and get back to us.

MextheBulldog
1/23/2008, 01:21 PM
Next time you OKC'ers are in the DFW area, stop by a Mi Cocina. Excellent Tex-Mex eatin'. But Cantina Laredo gets my vote on this list.

RacerX
1/23/2008, 01:37 PM
Frank posts the most comprehensive poles, evar.

RacerX
1/23/2008, 01:41 PM
I remember when the retired people that live across the street told me they went out and had Mexican.....Taco Mayo.

I kept a straight face.

BigRedJed
1/23/2008, 02:00 PM
He did leave off Abuelo's. I'm not going to prop up their Tex Mex, which is fine but not spectacular. But their queso fundito is good, and the dish I normally get, Los Mejoras de la Casa, is the shiznit. Bacon-wrapped beef medallions, plus bacon-wrapped jumbo shrimp, stuffed with a chili pepper, then covered with melted jack cheddar. With a queso dipping sauce. When you comine it with the pappas con chili (badass mashed potatoes with cheese and peppers), plus the creamed spinach casserole stuff, you'll be happy in yo mouth. YWIA.

Granted, they're a chain, but since the Bricktown location was one of their very first stores after starting as a family place in Tejas, I give it a pass.

http://www.abuelos.com/2007_Menu/fajitas_combinations_images/house_specialties_03.jpg

frankensooner
1/23/2008, 02:04 PM
I came up a couple short when I was typing and I even double checked it. I left off Abuelos, but it was on my master list. Pure Scribner's omission. my apologies to the Abuelos fans.

Mixer!
1/23/2008, 02:25 PM
He did leave off Abuelo's. I'm not going to prop up their Tex Mex, which is fine but not spectacular. But their queso fundito is good, and the dish I normally get, Los Mejoras de la Casa, is the shiznit. Bacon-wrapped beef medallions, plus bacon-wrapped jumbo shrimp, stuffed with a bacon-wrapped chili pepper, then covered with melted bacon-wrapped jack cheddar. With a bacon-wrapped queso dipping sauce. When you combine it with the bacon-wrapped pappas con chili (badass bacon-wrapped mashed potatoes with bacon-wrapped cheese and peppers), plus the bacon-wrapped creamed spinach casserole stuff, you'll be happy in yo mouth. YWIA.
Guess I'll have to give that a try.

BigRedJed
1/23/2008, 02:46 PM
My work here is done.

silverwheels
1/23/2008, 03:24 PM

I don't even know if it's tolerable. The last two times I went there I had some pretty bad heartburn and I rarely get heartburn, even from Mexican restaurants.

PhilTLL
1/23/2008, 04:30 PM
Bandoleros would win in a walk even if Jose Villa was NOT super-friendly and cool. Especially for the less-common dishes, or delectable things that aren't on the menu at all. Chelino's (in the right locations) is just so efficient and consistent that I can't skip mentioning it.

Lott's Bandana
1/23/2008, 04:33 PM
I came up a couple short when I was typing and I even double checked it. I left off Abuelos, but it was on my master list. Pure Scribner's omission. my apologies to the Abuelos fans.

I would have clicked on that one too. Good Cal-style seafood mexican stuffs.

Jimminy Crimson
1/23/2008, 05:15 PM
Ole on Memorial & Penn is good eatin', as well.

JohnnyMack
1/23/2008, 06:04 PM
He did leave off Abuelo's. I'm not going to prop up their Tex Mex, which is fine but not spectacular. But their queso fundito is good, and the dish I normally get, Los Mejoras de la Casa, is the shiznit. Bacon-wrapped beef medallions, plus bacon-wrapped jumbo shrimp, stuffed with a chili pepper, then covered with melted jack cheddar. With a queso dipping sauce. When you comine it with the pappas con chili (badass mashed potatoes with cheese and peppers), plus the creamed spinach casserole stuff, you'll be happy in yo mouth. YWIA.

Granted, they're a chain, but since the Bricktown location was one of their very first stores after starting as a family place in Tejas, I give it a pass.

http://www.abuelos.com/2007_Menu/fajitas_combinations_images/house_specialties_03.jpg

I like this:

http://www.abuelos.com/2007_Menu/house_specialties_images/lunchspecials_seniormeal-04.jpg

Chicken breast stuffed with chorizo, served up wif da queso and potatoes.

BigRedJed
1/23/2008, 06:29 PM
I dunno. Those chicken thingies don't look anything like what they serve at Ted's. They must suck.

Chuck Bao
1/23/2008, 06:40 PM
I don't remember ever eating Mexican in OKC area. If any are as good as Casa Romo in downtown Ardmore, then they would rock my face off.

BigRedJed
1/23/2008, 06:42 PM
That place IS pretty good.

saucysoonergal
1/23/2008, 07:54 PM
Teds no question!

C&CDean
1/23/2008, 07:59 PM
Bravo's in Purcell. Try it.

BigRedJed
1/23/2008, 08:00 PM
Teds no question!

http://showcase.thebluebus.nl/SoundApril2007/Lemming1.jpg

BigRedJed
1/23/2008, 08:03 PM
;)

C&CDean
1/23/2008, 08:03 PM
That hurt my eyes.

And for the record, bacon-wrapped shrimp and mashed taters ain't messican food. Just an fyi.

BigRedJed
1/23/2008, 08:04 PM
Isn't that you on the far left?

BigRedJed
1/23/2008, 08:06 PM
And I SAID it wasn't Tex Mex. However, if you think they don't eat steak/skrimps/taters in Mexico, you are mistaken.

C&CDean
1/23/2008, 08:12 PM
And I SAID it wasn't Tex Mex. However, if you think they don't eat steak/skrimps/taters in Mexico, you are mistaken.

I've spent damn near as much time in Mexico as I've spent in Oklahoma. And you're right, they do eat lots of carne, mariscos, pappas, etc. But you wanna know what they don't eat down there? That's right, Tex-Mex.

BigRedJed
1/23/2008, 08:13 PM
I agree.

oklaclarinet
1/23/2008, 09:26 PM
I'm a big fan of the chimichangas at Ninos.

usmc-sooner
1/23/2008, 09:38 PM
One of my good buddies from the USMC was from McAllen, Tx and he had a lot of family in Mexico. I went down there and hung out and we went to Mexico and his family made us Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwiches.

bluedogok
1/23/2008, 09:50 PM
I've been there like 4 times before 2005 (when I moved to tejas), so my experience is limited. However, of those 4 times I never saw what made the place any different then any other Mexican restaurant.
I guess you like having to pay for all the extras, you get used to that down here :D

Whenever we are back in OKC my wife always wants to go to Ted's, she thinks that it is better and more consistent than any place here. Some of the food she has had there reminds her of the food that her mother made when she was growing up. We usually go on Sunday mornings around 11:30 (before we head back to Austin) and there is usually not much of a wait.

That's what I mean - all to people's tastes. I would venture that any thing with the word Taqueria in it would beat out most of the named places.
Just like anything else, some yes, some no. I have eaten at some pretty average ones and down here in South Austin and there was a taco trailer on almost every other corner when I moved down here in 2003. Some have moved into permanent buildings, many of them closed. Hole in the wall joints can suck just like chains.

Boarder
1/24/2008, 12:09 AM
Bravo's in Purcell. Try it.
Los Dos Amigos is on the list already.

And if it's not lunch or Sunday how could you be next door to Jo's and not eat there instead?

AllAboutThe'O'
1/24/2008, 01:22 AM
When I go to OKC in March for the state basketball tourneys, I definitely have to check out one of the local joints and not a chain Mexican place. I see a lot of love for Ted's so I'm inclined to check that out.

BigRedJed
1/24/2008, 08:08 AM
Yep. Lots of hype ...err... love... for Ted's. You're guaranteed to find good service, large portions, clean hands on the service staff, a long, annoying line, and average Tex Mex. Enjoy!

King Crimson
1/24/2008, 10:31 AM
Yep. Lots of hype ...err... love... for Ted's. You're guaranteed to find good service, large portions, clean hands on the service staff, a long, annoying line, and average Tex Mex. Enjoy!

apparently that adds up to "the best". lots of free stuff, melted cheese, and a veritable IV tube of water makes for a happy hillbilly.

i'd rather endure spotty, inconsistent service for really good food than the other way around. but, that's just me. i can go like 5-10 minutes without having someone top off my salsa bowl or water glass. seriously.

frankensooner
1/24/2008, 10:37 AM
I thought I would also mention, next time you are at Chelinos, request the Cilantro salsa. You will be very happy (if you are a cilantro lover like me).

JohnnyMack
1/24/2008, 10:38 AM
I really think people are blinded by portion size at Ted's. It isn't great food. It's remarkably average Tex-Mex that comes out on a plate the size of small moon (....that's no moon, it's a space station). I think Los Cabos is better in terms of quality for busy Tex-Mex restaurants. I agree with King Crimson <barfs in mouth a little bit> that I'd rather to go to one of those little places where no one working there speaks more than 6 words of English and the carnitas are top-notch.

DoubleDown
1/24/2008, 10:46 AM
Tacoville
3502 Newcastle Road
405-681-0661

Somebody go eat there and get back to us.

Anyone that hasn't tried Tacoville is really missing out. I used to eat lunch there every Thursday. It's not the best part of town and you usually have to step over some sleeping bums to get into the store. But believe me, it is the best REAL Mexican food in the metro.

r5TPsooner
1/24/2008, 01:01 PM
The Ted's in Edmond has always been good in most categories. The Ted's off of N. May has been very inconsistent.

We live just a few miles from the San Marcos on Rockwell and the food and service has been very good every time.

I give Ted's the edge because there set-up is very hard to beat.

TheUnnamedSooner
1/24/2008, 05:19 PM
Tarahumaras has always been one of my favs. Before they opened, Chelinos on Western or Walker.

BTW, in the many ways that texass sucks, mexican food is one of them. I've lived down here for 3 years and can't find a good messican restaraunt that compares to Chelino's or Tarahumaras. And the awesome Tecates you get in the big schooner with salt and limes? forget it, they look at you like your nuts around here.

sanantoniosooner
1/24/2008, 06:27 PM
1. wet willy

Its when u lick ur finger then put it in some ones ear and twist ur wet finger around.

Jim gives out wet willys.

http://media.urbandictionary.com/image/page/wetwilly-18470.jpg

BigRedJed
3/14/2008, 07:14 AM
I still think Ted's is overrated.

crawfish
3/14/2008, 07:37 AM
I still think Ted's is overrated.

So are you, but we keep reading your posts anyway. :)

Abuelo's chimichanga's are the best. Ted's has the best setup and service, which mean a lot to me.

Worst has to be Don Pablo's. I've had far too many bad experiences there.

BigRedJed
3/14/2008, 07:40 AM
Dude, I am FAR from overrated. I am actually quite UNDERRATED.

Mixer!
3/14/2008, 08:31 AM
^^^ Trolling for spek, are we? ;) ^^^