PDA

View Full Version : My new neighbor...

Okla-homey
1/23/2008, 06:42 AM
A Super Target (the ghey Wal-marts) is going up literally within easy walking distance of my house at 101st and Memorial here in Tulsey.

Many of my existing neighbors are teed off. They are going to go raise heck at the zoning hearing. Petitions are being circulated.

I think they're being silly and their efforts are futile. Anyhoo, I just hope living so close to a Super Target doesn't make me turn ghey.

that is all.

Harry Beanbag
1/23/2008, 07:23 AM
Target is ghey? :confused:

Okla-homey
1/23/2008, 07:38 AM
Target is ghey? :confused:

Wake up and smell the chai Harry. Everyone knows Target is the ghey alternative to the Wal-marts.;)

Sooner_Bob
1/23/2008, 07:42 AM
No way teh super targets is teh ghey . . . is it?

Okla-homey
1/23/2008, 07:45 AM
No way teh super targets is teh ghey . . . is it?

It's a statistical fact that 98% of swishy-boys prefer Target to Wallyworld.;)

Sooner_Bob
1/23/2008, 07:48 AM
Thank God I'm in that 2%. :D

sanantoniosooner
1/23/2008, 08:06 AM
If the only choices are ghey and trailer trash we're in trouble.

OKLA21FAN
1/23/2008, 08:13 AM

its not that they chose Target over Wallyworld, they are born that way. It is just Natural for them to be attracted to a 'sale' and not a 'rollback'. :pop:

VeeJay
1/23/2008, 08:17 AM
Down in my neck of the woods (Ft. Lauderale), a few years ago Wal-Mart had purchased land and planned to build a Super Dooper Wal Mart City about two miles from our house. Local townsfolk complained and demanded the Wal-Mart 24 hour behemoth be kept out. A couple of years after that, up sprouts a Super Target on the property, complete with Starbucks inside. Shiny, happy people was a result.

We defeated Wal-Mart! Weeeeeeeee!!

crawfish
1/23/2008, 08:23 AM
Wake up and smell the chai Harry. Everyone knows Target is the ghey alternative to the Wal-marts.;)

Is it ghey to prefer short lines and wide aisles?

Wait a minute, don't answer that. :O

OCUDad
1/23/2008, 09:03 AM
If the only choices are ghey and trailer trash we're in trouble.The two are not mutually exclusive.

Sooner_Bob
1/23/2008, 09:04 AM
Is it ghey to prefer short lines and wide aisles?

Wait a minute, don't answer that. :O

Nope . . .

Mjcpr
1/23/2008, 09:21 AM
Which corner of 101st and Memorial is it supposed to be?

And I thought you were moving to Jenks anyway. :)

sanantoniosooner
1/23/2008, 09:22 AM
The two are not mutually exclusive.
yeah, but not everybody is as versatile as you;)

Boomer.....
1/23/2008, 09:26 AM
Which corner of 101st and Memorial is it supposed to be?

And I thought you were moving to Jenks anyway. :)
Northeast corner.

Viking Kitten
1/23/2008, 09:29 AM

Thank God I'm in that 2%. :D

If I'm reading this correctly, Bob, you are saying you're in the two percent of gay men who prefers Walmart to Target.

The Walmart preference is the real sin of the two, IMO. :P

NYC Poke
1/23/2008, 09:29 AM
I lived next door to one in Houston. It is dangerous, not from the switching teams aspect, but from a financial one. I'd go in to buy paper towels or light bulbs and end up spending $200.

SoonerTerry
1/23/2008, 09:30 AM
yeah, but not everybody is as versatile as you;)

or flexable..:D

OUDoc
1/23/2008, 09:36 AM
The Super Target near our house is usually empty.
Much better than Wal Mart, 'til it goes under.

sanantoniosooner
1/23/2008, 09:43 AM
there are only two things that keep me in walmart.

Target is much further away from me and it generally costs more.

I would drive further to save money, but I wont drive further to spend more.

My problem with walmart isn't the store itself, it's the people that shop there.

OKLA21FAN
1/23/2008, 09:51 AM
mama always said:

'if you can't buy it at Walmart, then you don't need it'

:pop:

Hamhock
1/23/2008, 10:05 AM
get the Archer Farms Monster Mix.

ywia

frankensooner
1/23/2008, 10:05 AM
more flamers shop at the wal marts.

Curly Bill
1/23/2008, 10:08 AM
mama always said:

'if you can't buy it at Walmart, then you don't need it'

...and you know what they say: Mama is always right.

I tried shopping at Super Target and it was the suc....maybe you do have to be ghey to like it. :D

TheHumanAlphabet
1/23/2008, 10:11 AM
I would rather shop at Target than Wal-marks. I hate sammyworld with a passion.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/23/2008, 10:13 AM

And whatever non-friendly moniker we can add here...e.g., hillbillies, illegals, ho's, aliens from mars, etc....;)

TheHumanAlphabet
1/23/2008, 10:13 AM

drat double post...

Sooner_Bob
1/23/2008, 10:18 AM
If I'm reading this correctly, Bob, you are saying you're in the two percent of gay men who prefers Walmart to Target.

The Walmart preference is the real sin of the two, IMO. :P

:O In that 2% that isn't swishy . . . and I prefer Target.:D

MamaMia
1/23/2008, 11:16 AM
NTTAWWT. ;)

r5TPsooner
1/23/2008, 11:51 AM
Michaels = Ghey
Hobby Lobby = Ghey

royalfan5
1/23/2008, 12:07 PM
I have to say switching from Wal-Mart to Target is one the better decisions I've made recently. I don't have to deal with a store full of mouth breathers, and in general I spend less money there for some reason.

jeremy885
1/23/2008, 12:09 PM
My problem with walmart isn't the store itself, it's the people that shop there.

yep.

yermom
1/23/2008, 12:16 PM
Target has better quality stuff

it's just not as close to me, and not open as late, at least in Norman

BigRedJed
1/23/2008, 12:22 PM
I'm a Target shopper... ...AND I'M PROUD!!

frankensooner
1/23/2008, 12:25 PM
Merona and Mossimo clothes are FABULOUS!!! So is the Archer Farms store brand items. I am just not well for wal marts. ;)

MR2-Sooner86
1/23/2008, 12:33 PM
Poor Wal-Mart. It hasn't been the same since Sam Walton kicked the bucket.

However image is everything and Target beats Wal-Mart ten fold. I hate the "hey shop here if your mother and sister are the same person and you're a welfare mooch with an I.Q. in the mid 50's" image Wal-Mart projects. If you want people to think you're cheap, expect a cheap image. Wal-Mart just looks too cheap.

KABOOKIE
1/23/2008, 12:36 PM
Let's see.....

TARGET: Pay for the same items if we stock them.

Mjcpr
1/23/2008, 12:39 PM
Poor Wal-Mart. It hasn't been the same since Sam Walton kicked the bucket.

AFAIK, WalMart the company has been taking names like it has always has. I prefer Targer as well but to say WM is somehow suffering is not accurate.

dolemitesooner
1/23/2008, 12:41 PM
If the only choices are ghey and trailer trash we're in trouble.
I'll take gay any day.
I am already trailer trash

Newbomb Turk
1/23/2008, 12:43 PM
there are only two things that keep me in walmart.

amen.

Fraggle145
1/23/2008, 01:01 PM
I go to Target, because hawter chicks shop there. And I hate fat people. Wal-Mart has lots of teh fats.

royalfan5
1/23/2008, 01:12 PM
AFAIK, WalMart the company has been taking names like it has always has. I prefer Targer as well but to say WM is somehow suffering is not accurate.
only their investors have been suffering recently. Buying Wal-Mart stock is about the same as Mason Jars anymore. It's been locked in the same range for about 5 years now.

crawfish
1/23/2008, 01:23 PM
I go to Target, because hawter chicks shop there. And I hate fat people. Wal-Mart has lots of teh fats.

Which makes their skinny aisles double annoying. Half of 'em have just enough room for two carts to go by - if each is firmly against one side. If someone wider than a cart is in the aisle, fuhgettaboutit.

frankensooner
1/23/2008, 01:48 PM
Which makes their skinny aisles double annoying. Half of 'em have just enough room for two carts to go by - if each is firmly against one side. If someone wider than a cart is in the aisle, fuhgettaboutit.
You must not shop at the super target because the ones in my neck of the woods have wide roomy aisles, except for the ladies undergarment sections. ;)

IB4OU2
1/23/2008, 02:33 PM
They're ghey if they call them Tarjeh.

KC//CRIMSON
1/23/2008, 02:53 PM

Word. That place is a M.I.L.F factory.

Harry Beanbag
1/23/2008, 04:55 PM
Target definitely has the M.I.L.F. advantage. We have new Super Targets and Super Wal-Marts everywhere out here. Generally, the only area that I feel Wal-Marts have the advantage in is camping stuff. I'll actually buy clothes at Target, not at Wal-Mart. But at least Wal-Mart does kick the **** out of K-Mart in every area.

Jimminy Crimson
1/23/2008, 05:05 PM
Target is the only way.

VeeJay
1/24/2008, 10:33 AM
If the people shopping in the Wal-Marts would just put their shirttails in and comb or brush their hair it would help.

Curly Bill
1/24/2008, 10:35 AM
If the people shopping in the Wal-Marts would just put their shirttails in and comb or brush their hair it would help.

Dude, I don't like my shirt tucked in.

Fraggle145
1/24/2008, 11:23 AM

showers and maybe a change in diet would help too.

KC//CRIMSON
1/24/2008, 02:25 PM
showers and maybe a change in diet would help too.

and a trip to the dentist.

Williesan
1/24/2008, 02:28 PM
Down in my neck of the woods (Ft. Lauderale), a few years ago Wal-Mart had purchased land and planned to build a Super Dooper Wal Mart City about two miles from our house. Local townsfolk complained and demanded the Wal-Mart 24 hour behemoth be kept out. A couple of years after that, up sprouts a Super Target on the property, complete with Starbucks inside. Shiny, happy people was a result.

We defeated Wal-Mart! Weeeeeeeee!!

VeeJay - Lemme guess... you're talking about Davie?

If so, Wally's a little hacked about that one. Same conceptual plan (Wally + outlying shops vs Target + outlying shops,) only Wally goes down in flames, and Target gets shooed in without as much as a second look. Before you say Wally doesn't get the shaft with the cities down there, we're also working on 2 Kohl's and a Lowe's in the same town that didn't get half of the scrutiny that the Coconut Creek Wal-Mart did.

No biggie though - I've been plenty busy. I've helped open 4 in the FLL/PBI area in 3 years including the aforementioned one in Coconut Creek yesterday. (PS - it ain't your typical Wally!)

Homey -

As for the Tulsa Target - if the neighbors don't want it, and they kick up a big enough stink about it, then they realistically have a less than even shot at killing the project. Remember, this is Tulsa - a pro-development community, not Florida (the biggest anti-development, NIMBY-lovin' place I have ever been to -- no offense meant to the FL residents here.)

If you want the project, speak up in favor of it. If you don't - speak out against it, but don't get emotional - be civil when presenting your plea. Present facts - don't say traffic will increase on your residential street when you have a marked "dead end" (seriously - that was an argument I heard in one town.) Keep in mind the applicants (Target and/or the developer) usually have done their homework (site planning, traffic studies, stormwater mitigation, etc.) so you are facing a stacked deck so to speak.

Politely remind them too that there is a big void in mid-town in terms of Super-Targets/Wally Supercenters and there's already a SuperTarget and two WM Supercenters within a 10 minutes drive. Get your jabs in too: if they keep tearing down the fairgrounds, they might as well look into parceling off the land to the highest retail bidders. ;)

Williesan <--Registered Architect w/ 100+ retail projects as experience

JohnnyMack
1/24/2008, 02:36 PM

Who cheats at Fantasy Soccer.

And shut it, I want that ST to go up. It's close to my house too. :D

Hamhock
1/24/2008, 02:55 PM

do you really expect us to believe there is such a thing?

JohnnyMack
1/24/2008, 02:56 PM
I'm not sure how he does it. I just know he does.

IB4OU2
1/24/2008, 03:02 PM

If so, Wally's a little hacked about that one. Same conceptual plan (Wally + outlying shops vs Target + outlying shops,) only Wally goes down in flames, and Target gets shooed in without as much as a second look. Before you say Wally doesn't get the shaft with the cities down there, we're also working on 2 Kohl's and a Lowe's in the same town that didn't get half of the scrutiny that the Coconut Creek Wal-Mart did.

No biggie though - I've been plenty busy. I've helped open 4 in the FLL/PBI area in 3 years including the aforementioned one in Coconut Creek yesterday. (PS - it ain't your typical Wally!)

Homey -

As for the Tulsa Target - if the neighbors don't want it, and they kick up a big enough stink about it, then they realistically have a less than even shot at killing the project. Remember, this is Tulsa - a pro-development community, not Florida (the biggest anti-development, NIMBY-lovin' place I have ever been to -- no offense meant to the FL residents here.)

If you want the project, speak up in favor of it. If you don't - speak out against it, but don't get emotional - be civil when presenting your plea. Present facts - don't say traffic will increase on your residential street when you have a marked "dead end" (seriously - that was an argument I heard in one town.) Keep in mind the applicants (Target and/or the developer) usually have done their homework (site planning, traffic studies, stormwater mitigation, etc.) so you are facing a stacked deck so to speak.

Politely remind them too that there is a big void in mid-town in terms of Super-Targets/Wally Supercenters and there's already a SuperTarget and two WM Supercenters within a 10 minutes drive. Get your jabs in too: if they keep tearing down the fairgrounds, they might as well look into parceling off the land to the highest retail bidders. ;)

Leave midtown alone please! ;)

SicEmBaylor
1/24/2008, 03:25 PM
I prefer Target to Wal-Mart. Having said that, I go to Wal-Mart 99.9% of the time since Target is way the hell on the other side of Waco and Wal-Mart is like half a mile away.

SoonerInKCMO
1/24/2008, 03:56 PM
I'm going on seven years since the last time I set foot in a Wal-Mart. The unwashed masses can bite me.

Hamhock
1/24/2008, 04:21 PM
i double dog dare any of you to go to the creek county walmart on the 1st.

frankensooner
1/24/2008, 04:24 PM
I try to avoid all grocery stores around the first of the month. ;)

SicEmBaylor
1/24/2008, 04:51 PM
I'm going on seven years since the last time I set foot in a Wal-Mart. The unwashed masses can bite me.
I wish to God I could easily avoid it. =(

I don't know much about the creek county Wal-Mart, but for those of you who have spent time in Waco you can just begin to imagine what it's like nearly 24/7.

Trust me, go into the Bellmead Wally World at 3am and tell me that you don't find religion.

royalfan5
1/24/2008, 04:58 PM
I wish to God I could easily avoid it. =(

I don't know much about the creek county Wal-Mart, but for those of you who have spent time in Waco you can just begin to imagine what it's like nearly 24/7.

Trust me, go into the Bellmead Wally World at 3am and tell me that you don't find religion.
I live a half-mile from a Super-Walmart. I drive across Lincoln to go to Super-Target anyway. It's worth the extra 40 min. round trip.

SicEmBaylor
1/24/2008, 05:03 PM
I live a half-mile from a Super-Walmart. I drive across Lincoln to go to Super-Target anyway. It's worth the extra 40 min. round trip.

Man, not for me. 40 mins is about what it would take for me to get to Target and back. You can count me the hell out.

It all depends though, but typically when I go to Wal-Mart it's because I suddenly need batteries or pick up a frozen pizza or something like that. I'm not driving 40 mins just to get a pack of batteries no matter how much I hate Wal-Mart.

royalfan5
1/24/2008, 05:12 PM
Man, not for me. 40 mins is about what it would take for me to get to Target and back. You can count me the hell out.

It all depends though, but typically when I go to Wal-Mart it's because I suddenly need batteries or pick up a frozen pizza or something like that. I'm not driving 40 mins just to get a pack of batteries no matter how much I hate Wal-Mart.
is it that hard to get around Waco? I go from North Lincoln to the extreme South Lincoln in about 20 min. Lincoln is significantly bigger than Waco, and very poorly layed out. If you make a list and to a weeks worth of shopping at once, it can pay off as well.

SicEmBaylor
1/24/2008, 05:25 PM
is it that hard to get around Waco? I go from North Lincoln to the extreme South Lincoln in about 20 min. Lincoln is significantly bigger than Waco, and very poorly layed out. If you make a list and to a weeks worth of shopping at once, it can pay off as well.

Waco is pretty bad to get around. The layout is very very poor, and technically I don't even live in Waco.

The buying a week/2 week's supply worth of stuff isn't a bad idea but I hate huge shopping trips and I'm a "buy as needed" type guy.

royalfan5
1/24/2008, 05:27 PM
Waco is pretty bad to get around. The layout is very very poor, and technically I don't even live in Waco.

The buying a week/2 week's supply worth of stuff isn't a bad idea but I hate huge shopping trips and I'm a "buy as needed" type guy.
Then don't come bitching to me about mouth breathers then.

SicEmBaylor
1/24/2008, 05:28 PM
Then don't come bitching to me about mouth breathers then.

mouth breathers?

royalfan5
1/24/2008, 05:31 PM
mouth breathers?
you are unfamiliar with the term?

SicEmBaylor
1/24/2008, 05:33 PM
you are unfamiliar with the term?
Evidently so!

royalfan5
1/24/2008, 05:34 PM
Evidently so!
wikipedia is your friend.

SicEmBaylor
1/24/2008, 05:36 PM
Urban dictionary was far more useful.

JohnnyMack
1/24/2008, 05:38 PM
Why do you hate Mike Modano?

Williesan
1/24/2008, 07:47 PM

And shut it, I want that ST to go up. It's close to my house too. :D

Methinks someone's just jealous about getting his arse beat. :P

And I'm not against the new ST... I just wish they would build one near midtown (or at least expand the one at the fairgrounds!)

Williesan

BoomerSooner07
1/24/2008, 09:10 PM
Going to walmart is like going to the state fair.

OCUDad
1/24/2008, 09:17 PM
The State Fair of Hell, maybe.

Sooner_Havok
1/24/2008, 09:22 PM
I go to Super Target to shop, I go to the Wal-Mart over by Griffin to check out the cool crazy people on there days out.

Okla-homey
1/24/2008, 09:45 PM

Homey -

Well considered points all around. Here's mine. The thing will likely front S. memorial. That means the residential areas will be staring at Target's arse. Now, that is kinda the succ, but there are already car dealerships all over the area and one more big box building with a floodlit parking lot ain't gonna make much diff.

Also, my neighbors are all saying, "just put it on that big open acreage to the south across 101st, northwest of the 20 screen movie theater. It's literally just across the street and we won't have to stare at it." I'm telling them there's no way Tulsa would let that happen, cuz 101st is the dividing line between Bixby and Tulsa and Tulsa is NOT gonna let that sales tax cow wander to Bixby.

frankly, I think its tilting at windmills to try to keep it away, but, whatever.

SicEmBaylor
1/24/2008, 09:53 PM
Why do your neighbors hate capitalism? ;)

Sooner_Havok
1/24/2008, 09:55 PM
Why do your neighbors hate capitalism? ;)

Same reason you hate teh womans ;)

Jimminy Crimson
1/25/2008, 12:05 AM
Well considered points all around. Here's mine. The thing will likely front S. memorial. That means the residential areas will be staring at Target's arse. Now, that is kinda the succ, but there are already car dealerships all over the area and one more big box building with a floodlit parking lot ain't gonna make much diff.

A large corporation such as Target (or the developer) will more than likely put in a buffer between their rear/loading area and the residential area. You could help the fight for more landscaping between said developments.

Also, Target is pretty good about reducing their 'light pollution' after business hours.

goingoneight
1/25/2008, 12:16 AM
There's the final bullet in the heart of Albertson's/Food Pyramid.

Jimminy Crimson
1/25/2008, 12:25 AM
There's the final bullet in the heart of Albertson's/Food Pyramid.

Shot through the heart
And youre to blame
You give love a bad name
I play my part and you play your game
You give love a bad name
You give love a bad name

47straight
1/25/2008, 12:55 AM
In Austin, there is a dead mall about the size of shepherd mall (in OKC). It's been dead for 15 years or more. Developer bought it to turn it into a two-story urban super wal-mart. Neighborhoods nearby raised hell and sued and got smacked down. Hard.

Seems that when something is already zoned for 300,000 retail square feet since the 70s, you don't get faux-progressive city council review of the site.

Everyone was ****ing and moaning about traffic, crime, exploiting workers, etc. Only a few were honest and expressed the sentiment given many times over in this thread: I think I'm too good for the people who shop at Wal-Mart

Sooner_Havok
1/25/2008, 12:57 AM
In Austin, there is a dead mall about the size of shepherd mall (in OKC). It's been dead for 15 years or more. Developer bought it to turn it into a two-story urban super wal-mart. Neighborhoods nearby raised hell and sued and got smacked down. Hard.

Seems that when something is already zoned for 300,000 retail square feet since the 70s, you don't get faux-progressive city council review of the site.

Everyone was ****ing and moaning about traffic, crime, exploiting workers, etc. Only a few were honest and expressed the sentiment given many times over in this thread: I think I'm too good for the people who shop at Wal-Mart

Hell, I bet the folks in Edmond would b*tch and moan about a Target for the same reason, they're too good for the people who shop there.

tommieharris91
1/25/2008, 01:11 AM
I would like to thank all that posted in this thread about the greatness of Super Target. It is so much cleaner, nicer, and more scenic than the Wal-Marts in Norman. I needed a place to shop after all the Albertson's round here turned in to the fail markets better known as Homeland.

frankensooner
1/25/2008, 09:50 AM
Hell, I bet the folks in Edmond would b*tch and moan about a Target for the same reason, they're too good for the people who shop there.
We live on the south side of Edmond and often we drive to the ST in NE Edmond. It is really nice and a lot cleaner than the one by our house. It is also less picked over. Oh, and you are full of crap, Edmond folks are pretty down to earth and nice.

OUDoc
1/25/2008, 09:53 AM
I needed a place to shop after all the Albertson's round here turned in to the fail markets better known as Homeland.
Be glad it didn't turn into William's. That place sucks.

Viking Kitten
1/25/2008, 10:36 AM
Edmond folks are pretty down to earth and nice.

Speak for yourself. I'm a ruthless, heartless bitch.

And I was thrilled when we got a Super Target.

Harry Beanbag
1/25/2008, 03:55 PM
We live on the south side of Edmond and often we drive to the ST in NE Edmond. It is really nice and a lot cleaner than the one by our house. It is also less picked over. Oh, and you are full of crap, Edmond folks are pretty down to earth and nice.

I grew up in Edmond and it does have a larger percentage of uppity folks there than the other metro cities. But that Wal-Mart on Broadway has been there for like twenty years now (if it's still there, I have no idea really), so if they allowed a Wally World in there's nothing wrong with a Target.

frankensooner
1/25/2008, 04:07 PM
I grew up in Edmond and it does have a larger percentage of uppity folks there than the other metro cities. But that Wal-Mart on Broadway has been there for like twenty years now (if it's still there, I have no idea really), so if they allowed a Wally World in there's nothing wrong with a Target.

The Wally world on Broadway was tolerable, but they closed it. There is ginormous super wm on Danforth and Santa Fe and another over on I-35 between Second and 15th (I think). I believe there are far more uppity people in far NW okc than Edmond, but that is just my opinion.

yermom
1/25/2008, 04:12 PM
this is what i'm talking about:

http://www.cafepress.com/buy/norman+oklahoma/-/pv_design_prod/p_2406653.129906513/pNo_129906513/id_19266792/fpt_/opt_/c_666/pg_1

SicEmBaylor
1/25/2008, 04:14 PM
this is what i'm talking about:

http://www.cafepress.com/buy/norman+oklahoma/-/pv_design_prod/p_2406653.129906513/pNo_129906513/id_19266792/fpt_/opt_/c_666/pg_1
Edmond, Norman, OKC, Midwest City...it doesn't matter. It's all central OK and it all sucks.

sanantoniosooner
1/25/2008, 04:21 PM
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/F/FAMILY_SHOPLIFTING?SITE=KTVB&TEMPLATE=STRANGEHEADS.html&SECTION=HOME

Police: 3 generations of family caught shoplifting in Northern California

LODI, Calif. (AP) -- Shoplifting is all in the family for one California clan, police say.

A grandmother, her daughter and some of her grandchildren tried to steal $900 worth of merchandise from a Target store in Lodi, 35 miles south of Sacramento, police Officer Misty Smith said.

The family's alleged shoplifting spree earlier this week was captured by surveillance video, which police say showed them cutting open boxes and hiding MP3 players, digital cameras, DVDs, jewelry and sports equipment in purses, bags and a backpack.

An 8-year-old and a 5-year-old were among the family members detained.

"The 5-year-old actually had a pack of gum. A small item but we could see where her life was heading because she thinks more than likely this is a normal way of life, this is what you do," said Dale Eubanks of the Lodi police.

Linda Robinson, 59, and her 36-year-old daughter, Anna Fernandez, were charged Wednesday with burglary, grand theft, vandalism and contributing to the delinquency of a minor. They were released from jail. If convicted, each could face eight years in prison.

Fernandez's teenage sons, 17 and 14, were arrested on suspicion of grand theft and will face charges in juvenille court, authorities said. Another teen not related to the family also was arrested.

The two children were released to relatives and will not face charges.

It was not immediately clear if the family had a lawyer.

yermom
1/25/2008, 04:58 PM
Edmond, Norman, OKC, Midwest City...it doesn't matter. It's all central OK and it all sucks.

strong words from someone currently residing in Waco

SicEmBaylor
1/25/2008, 04:59 PM
strong words from someone currently residing in Waco
Hey man, I'm not even going to try to defend Waco.

BigRedJed
1/25/2008, 05:04 PM
Phhht. He's just trying to buy some friends in Green Country.

BigRedJed
1/25/2008, 06:30 PM
And yes, I know you're supposedly from Green Country. Depends on who is logged in though, I think.

SicEmBaylor
1/25/2008, 06:39 PM
Wait, what?

Frozen Sooner
1/25/2008, 06:40 PM
That reminds me. We finally got a Target up here a bit ago. I need to run over and check it out.

StoopTroup
1/25/2008, 06:51 PM
I hate Waldo World.

Target is much better.

The bad thing is...even though I hate Waldo World...we still go to Sam's Club every now and then.

I just can't stand weekly trips to Sam's but once or twice a month, I can handle for some reason.

sanantoniosooner
1/25/2008, 07:01 PM
Costco is the cure for Sammy.

At least where you can.

Harry Beanbag
1/25/2008, 07:04 PM

At least where you can.

Yes it is. Costco is to Sam's what Target is to Wal-Mart.

We have a Costco about 1 miles from here. They just built a Sam's right across the street from it. I guess they're trying to see who's is bigger.

KC//CRIMSON
1/25/2008, 09:06 PM
That reminds me. We finally got a Target up here a bit ago. I need to run over and check it out.

I'm thinking your chances of finding a hot single chick in Alaska just got a whole lot better.

Jimminy Crimson
1/25/2008, 09:17 PM
I'm thinking your chances of finding a hot single chick in Alaska just got a whole lot better.

Or a hot M.I.L.F. They taste the same, IMO.

Does that word really trip the filter? :rolleyes:

SicEmBaylor
1/25/2008, 10:50 PM

Didn't you just get a Wal-Mart a few years ago? My friend in Anchorage kept telling me how much she missed Wal-Mart up there and then finally she said they were putting one in.

Frozen Sooner
1/25/2008, 10:59 PM
Didn't you just get a Wal-Mart a few years ago? My friend in Anchorage kept telling me how much she missed Wal-Mart up there and then finally she said they were putting one in.

Hmm. I can't remember if we had Wal-Mart before 1999, but we definitely had one in 2000 'cause I remember buying DVDs there with a buddy who moved in '01.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/26/2008, 06:26 AM

At least where you can.

Agree, would love to get one in Clear Lake. Don't think I will drive out to West Houston to avoid Sammy's, but hope like hell they place a Costco down here soon...

VeeJay
1/26/2008, 10:16 PM

Yep - that be's the one. Our house in Pembroke Pines is 2-3 miles from there. They actually did a great job on that shopping center with the aesthetics of the perimeter retail stores. And not that generic gray/blue color scheme of all things Wal-Mart. As I understood it, the problem with the locals folks (and we weren't part of it since it's on the Davie side of the University Dr./Stirling Rd. side of the intersection) was the concern of the 24 hour activity of a WM SuperCenter.

If you're familiar with the area, the Davie neighborhoods around there are pretty much middle class (mix of single family homes and townhouses/condos), but apparently the anti-WM sentiment is firmly entrenched in those parts.

JohnnyMack
2/4/2008, 12:50 PM
Yo Homey,

What ever happened with this?

colleyvillesooner
2/4/2008, 12:59 PM
Or a hot M.I.L.F. They taste the same, IMO.

Does that word really trip the filter? :rolleyes:

Good luck with that whole "going around the filter" thing.

If history holds serve, DE will be by shortly with his boot. ;)

Williesan
2/4/2008, 01:56 PM
Yep - that be's the one. Our house in Pembroke Pines is 2-3 miles from there. They actually did a great job on that shopping center with the aesthetics of the perimeter retail stores. And not that generic gray/blue color scheme of all things Wal-Mart. As I understood it, the problem with the locals folks (and we weren't part of it since it's on the Davie side of the University Dr./Stirling Rd. side of the intersection) was the concern of the 24 hour activity of a WM SuperCenter.

If you're familiar with the area, the Davie neighborhoods around there are pretty much middle class (mix of single family homes and townhouses/condos), but apparently the anti-WM sentiment is firmly entrenched in those parts.

Ahhh yes. That's the thorn in our collective side.

Another firm in KC did the original rendition of the WM at University/Sterling and it wasn't a blue/gray "battleship." The problem (and this is WM's beef) was that the property was zoned properly for a WM already, but they used their "no 24-hour operations" ordinance to beat the job into the grave, nevermind that they could apply for a variance to get the 24 hour operation. (And yes - there's nothing open in Davie at 2:30 AM. Not even a fast food drive thru or a Walgreen's/CVS drugstore. I found this out the hard way.)

The second try (which I was involved in the building design here) was even more of a CF. Thye had no issues with the building. it met their "Davie Style" ideals, and with WM's "green" energy reduction implementations, they were happy to approve us. The Zoning Board and Planning Department actually approved the second project (at University/Orange) 4-0 with one abstention (he weasn't even there, therefore he was marked as "abstained.") But we went to city council in July 2006 and got gunned down 4-0 (abstention from city manager - he knew the landowner personally). Apperantly, a legally valid development contract w/ the city (circa 1990 - the owner ran out of money before he could build then) on the University/Orange site was not good enough to build on the site, even though we met every single nit-picky requirement (i.e. gazebos in the parking lot, lighted walk paths, etc.) the city councilors placed on the site.

As of now, the WM injunction is still tied up in the FL Courts System almost 18 months later. I'll be surprised if this project ever happens, esp. w/ WM reconsidering the market aspects of all projects that have not been awarded for construction and the overall reduction of the volume of stores they will be building in the next few years.

Coconut Creek went smooth compared to this one - and the city is really happy with it. Get up there and check it out - 441 & Hillsboro Road. Visually, you can't miss it. ;)

Williesan

stoopified
2/4/2008, 02:22 PM
its not that they chose Target over Wallyworld, they are born that way. It is just Natural for them to be attracted to a 'sale' and not a 'rollback'. :pop: :D

frankensooner
2/4/2008, 02:39 PM
Hey, I heard that I am getting a new neighbor, a Sonic. Now that is a good neighbor. If they would build a Braums on one side and a Charlies Chicken on the other, I would be in hog heaven.

JohnnyMack
2/4/2008, 02:55 PM
Hey, I heard that I am getting a new neighbor, a Sonic. Now that is a good neighbor. If they would build a Braums on one side and a Charlies Chicken on the other, I would be a fat ***.

Fixed.

:D

frankensooner
2/4/2008, 03:15 PM
That is why I said "HOG HEAVEN" :D

Williesan
2/20/2008, 10:48 PM
Bad news Homey...

City Council Approves South Towne Development (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?articleID=20080220_1__TheTu41863)

JohnnyMack
2/20/2008, 11:13 PM
Bad news Homey...

City Council Approves South Towne Development (http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?articleID=20080220_1__TheTu41863)

Yay!!!

Okla-homey
2/21/2008, 08:10 AM
Bad news Homey...

Yep. In fact, the homeowners association in my neighborhood and the one just to the north pretty much folded up on Tusday. We had little thingies in our mailboxes (in violation of Post Office regulations I might add) from the respective boards stating the fix was in and, as I expected, the sales tax generating behemoth that is Target would be allowed to settle-in anywhere she wants in Tulsa. The developer did make a "non-binding, oral" concession (I laughed at that part); promising to plant some trees between the back of Target and our subdivisions.

I still find it sad there isn't a grocery store of any type in North Tulsa, yet us folks in South Tulsa have options out our ears. I guess I understand why there's no grocery store in North Tulsa, but its still a pity.

Mjcpr
2/21/2008, 09:38 AM
I would think Target would be chomping at the bit to locate one in north Tulsa.

colleyvillesooner
2/21/2008, 09:48 AM
I would think Target would be chomping at the bit to locate one in north Tulsa.

Maybe that are will be the next one they...target?

Mjcpr
2/21/2008, 09:58 AM
Maybe that are will be the next one they...target?

Maybe that are will, maybe that are will.

:D

My Opinion Matters
2/21/2008, 12:34 PM
I still find it sad there isn't a grocery store of any type in North Tulsa, yet us folks in South Tulsa have options out our ears. I guess I understand why there's no grocery store in North Tulsa, but its still a pity.

I'm not trying to single you out on this Homey, but this seems to be a pervasive thought among Southies and Suburbanites. The problem is, it's simply not true. I'm not sure if this urban myth is designed to exploit the intrinsically xenophobic nature of middle-class whites, or if it originates with Northies who are simply envious they don't have the pretty, new stores. While I'm a "Southy" myself and about to graduate into suburbanite, I grew up, work very near to, and still have family in North Tulsa. I can think of no less 6 grocery stores off the top of my head that cater to North Tulsa. This doesn't even include the imaginary extension of the "North Side" by a lot of us out South to as far as even 41st St by some estimations. That adds at least another dozen stores I'm sure. Sure, these north side grocers aren't Targets or Food Pyramids. You can't buy quail eggs, organic papayas, or flourless artisan bread there. But they're not exactly "Jo-Jo's Food Crib" either. You can actually buy real life-sustaining, calore-containing food at these stores, and if you go around back, maybe a nice crack rock :)

If people would familiarize themselves with their city a little more, they would know that our North-side citizens are in no real danger of eating garbage, cannibalizing their young, or even *shudder* bussing over to pearly gates of South Tulsa to buy groceries.

Okla-homey
2/22/2008, 04:41 AM
I'm not trying to single you out on this Homey, but this seems to be a pervasive thought among Southies and Suburbanites. The problem is, it's simply not true. I'm not sure if this urban myth is designed to exploit the intrinsically xenophobic nature of middle-class whites, or if it originates with Northies who are simply envious they don't have the pretty, new stores. While I'm a "Southy" myself and about to graduate into suburbanite, I grew up, work very near to, and still have family in North Tulsa. I can think of no less 6 grocery stores off the top of my head that cater to North Tulsa. This doesn't even include the imaginary extension of the "North Side" by a lot of us out South to as far as even 41st St by some estimations. That adds at least another dozen stores I'm sure. Sure, these north side grocers aren't Targets or Food Pyramids. You can't buy quail eggs, organic papayas, or flourless artisan bread there. But they're not exactly "Jo-Jo's Food Crib" either. You can actually buy real life-sustaining, calore-containing food at these stores, and if you go around back, maybe a nice crack rock :)

If people would familiarize themselves with their city a little more, they would know that our North-side citizens are in no real danger of eating garbage, cannibalizing their young, or even *shudder* bussing over to pearly gates of South Tulsa to buy groceries.

Friend, All I know is this: A couple weeks ago I had to pick up an elderly lady who lives around N. Hartford and E. 31st. We talked about the fact they have no grocery stores up there worthy of the name. She makes a monthly bus trip to Wally World for groceries and buys overpriced bread and milk from Jo-Jo's Food Crib in between those trips.