PDA

View Full Version : we need this defense for 13 games next season

85sooners
1/22/2008, 07:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmXNlfuXvHA

madillsoonerfan5353
1/22/2008, 07:42 PM
AMEN!!! If that D would of showed up in Glendale, the season would of ended on a high note!!!

O well always next year!

BOOMER SOONER

silverwheels
1/22/2008, 07:48 PM
If that defense would have shown up in Glendale, we would have lost by more than we did.

I do hope that defense shows up for all the times we face an offense like Missouri's, though.

yermom
1/22/2008, 08:04 PM
i'm hoping for a good defensive performance for 14 games next season ;)

madillsoonerfan5353
1/22/2008, 08:28 PM
[QUOTE=silverwheels]If that defense would have shown up in Glendale, we would have lost by more than we did.

:confused:

Why??? Maybe I missed something, but in Big XII title game OUr defense didn't miss many if any tackles or over run plays! Thats why they CREAMED the number 1 team in the country! I don't know.

silverwheels
1/22/2008, 08:32 PM
I already answered that in the second part of my post that you quoted poorly.

primetime43
1/22/2008, 08:52 PM
I don't know if the outcome would have been any different but Reggie Smith sure would have helped us in the W. Virginia game. A corner that will actually stick someone!

yermom
1/22/2008, 09:04 PM
Lendy, Reggie, Granger

it would be nice to have all of the starters for the next bowl game

A Sooner in Texas
1/22/2008, 09:16 PM
Did you post this to make us sad again?

:(

Ah, for the days of September. THIS year. I'm so ready and it's so, so far away.

Crucifax Autumn
1/23/2008, 02:20 AM
True, but keep in mind that the older you get the quicker the days pass.

That means that some of these old bastages around here will think it's only been a week when the season starts! As for me, it'll seem like 2 weeks!

hellogoodbye
1/23/2008, 10:26 AM
Great vid. What an inspired game!

The shot of Stoops at the end doing the crunge as the ice water was going down his back was classic. Pure energy

The_Red_Patriot
1/23/2008, 10:27 AM
WVU's speed as a team was awesome.

Dano7198
1/23/2008, 04:27 PM
a few side notes here fellas.... OU plays to its competition on the defensive side of the ball. What bothers me is we as fans seem to know we are getting more of the same next year. What has changed ? Still great athletes in an under achieving system backed up by STACKS of game tape. What you see is what you get. Until Stoops comes to terms with the facts... we will continue to wind up short. The biggest game of the season was at Tech and look what happened. We got our asses handed to us in the trenches. After a shot at the title is gone... guess what ? We show up against Misswho. Why ? They were #1. Same offenseas Tech ? YES !!
Bowl game? Same ol story. No one told WVU it was an exhibition...hell, they thought it was a football game. Fire BV and get someone in there who BELIEVES in Sooner football like we the fans do. Until then, Stoops is beginning to remind me of Dick Vermiel and his loyalty to Gregg Robinson. BV is just in over his head.

MextheBulldog
1/23/2008, 10:59 PM
Lendy, Reggie, Granger

it would be nice to have all of the starters for the next bowl game

MK, DeMarco.......

goingoneight
1/23/2008, 11:03 PM
a few side notes here fellas.... OU plays to its competition on the defensive side of the ball. What bothers me is we as fans seem to know we are getting more of the same next year. What has changed ? Still great athletes in an under achieving system backed up by STACKS of game tape. What you see is what you get. Until Stoops comes to terms with the facts... we will continue to wind up short. The biggest game of the season was at Tech and look what happened. We got our asses handed to us in the trenches. After a shot at the title is gone... guess what ? We show up against Misswho. Why ? They were #1. Same offenseas Tech ? YES !!
Bowl game? Same ol story. No one told WVU it was an exhibition...hell, they thought it was a football game. Fire BV and get someone in there who BELIEVES in Sooner football like we the fans do. Until then, Stoops is beginning to remind me of Dick Vermiel and his loyalty to Gregg Robinson. BV is just in over his head.

... and your replacement for the most consistent defensive coordinator of the decade is... who?

... thought so.

yermom
1/23/2008, 11:05 PM
MK, DeMarco.......

you're right.

the best defense is a good offense ;)

MextheBulldog
1/23/2008, 11:06 PM
What you see is what you get.

Bob Stoops = 9 years

96-21; 59-12 conference
FIVE Big 12 Championships
One BCS National Championship
Six BCS Bowl Game Appearances

If what I see is what I get, bring me 9 more years of it.

MextheBulldog
1/23/2008, 11:18 PM
you're right.

the best defense is a good offense ;)

ya ya, it's a thread about defense. :D

Dano7198
1/24/2008, 04:46 PM
Bob Stoops = 9 years

96-21; 59-12 conference
FIVE Big 12 Championships
One BCS National Championship
Six BCS Bowl Game Appearances

If what I see is what I get, bring me 9 more years of it.
Not knocking Coach Stoops accomplishments or his record. Just saying the defense needs an overhaul. If you think the defense responds well to adversity or recovers from being on its heels ( Nebraska 2000 for example ) Im just not seeing it. Sorry

Dano7198
1/24/2008, 04:59 PM
... and your replacement for the most consistent defensive coordinator of the decade is... who?

... thought so.
If by consistency you mean his continued failure to adapt to things he didnt see on tape, then yes... BV is consistent. No doubt he is a fine recruiter. Hes earned that. Hes also earned the rap that his defensive units implode when things arent going their way.

Desert Sapper
1/24/2008, 05:22 PM
Fire BV and get someone in there who BELIEVES in Sooner football like we the fans do.

Please, oh please, oh pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease MAKE IT STOPPPP!!!

http://www.boarsheadtavern.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/10/Beat_Dead_Horse.jpg

Dano7198
1/24/2008, 05:38 PM
HA !!! I love it. Ill work on that BV thing .

MextheBulldog
1/28/2008, 03:24 PM
Please, oh please, oh pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease MAKE IT STOPPPP!!!

http://www.boarsheadtavern.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/10/Beat_Dead_Horse.jpg

I think i saw that horse going to Candy Mountain the other day....;)

bob
1/30/2008, 12:23 PM
No way we should have lost three games this year. No way the defense is as good as when Mike S. was here, check the stats. How can we lose when our offense is scoring so many points. We are not prepared each week. We should win 9 or 10 games each year, we recruit superior athletes. But not getting us over the hump is a coaching problem. I think Coach Stoops is a terrific coach, but his weakness is not getting the defense to play up to their potential. And that makes us a #6 thru #10 team each year, instead of a #1 thru #5 team.

JLEW1818
1/30/2008, 12:25 PM
PUT BOB AT DC!!!!!!!!!!!! SERIOUSLY!!!

goingoneight
2/9/2008, 02:19 AM
No way we should have lost three games this year. No way the defense is as good as when Mike S. was here, check the stats. How can we lose when our offense is scoring so many points. We are not prepared each week. We should win 9 or 10 games each year, we recruit superior athletes. But not getting us over the hump is a coaching problem. I think Coach Stoops is a terrific coach, but his weakness is not getting the defense to play up to their potential. And that makes us a #6 thru #10 team each year, instead of a #1 thru #5 team.

And on that note... tell me one coach who has won more than one crystal football since Bob arrived in Norman?

Dano7198
2/9/2008, 06:04 PM
And on that note... tell me one coach who has won more than one crystal football since Bob arrived in Norman?
with all due respect , Going , look at your signature. ATTITUDE !!!! Those boys in 2000 were hungry and wouldnt be denied. Execution, hustle and hard work gave them a swagger. The undeserved swagger the D has now comes from reading about how good they are and just plain ol arrogance. Coach Stoops has another quote.... " it isnt poison til you swallow it " What are they feeding the boys these days....hmmmm ?

MojoRisen
2/9/2008, 06:57 PM
I would like to see changes on Defense. Adustments something

Mizzou > than Tech Mizzou = WVU and more dangerous

What happened??? Venables typically does well against Mizzou plus they talked trash... our kids are getting bloated ego's clearly...

I would like to see our D have more swagger - we have great ATH but I am not sure they are mean enough/hungry enough to want to HIT all the time.

occasionally I see it -

Dano7198
2/10/2008, 02:22 PM
I would like to see changes on Defense. Adustments something

Mizzou > than Tech Mizzou = WVU and more dangerous

What happened??? Venables typically does well against Mizzou plus they talked trash... our kids are getting bloated ego's clearly...

I would like to see our D have more swagger - we have great ATH but I am not sure they are mean enough/hungry enough to want to HIT all the time.

occasionally I see it -
100 percent agree. Attitude can be coached just the same as talent...would like to see more of the fired up in your face "aint gonna happen" ( Misswho in the CCG )as opposed to the "how the hell does that keep happening " look.

goingoneight
2/11/2008, 12:53 AM
100 percent agree. Attitude can be coached just the same as talent...would like to see more of the fired up in your face "aint gonna happen" ( Misswho in the CCG )as opposed to the "how the hell does that keep happening " look.

Then maybe you should tell OUr starters to make their grades, don't get sick, don't get injured and don't shoplift.

You might get lucky and prevent a shoplifiting incident, but we were paper-thin against WVU. Once the offense got rolling, we were pretty much on an even field. Problem was it was too late, we couldn't stop them and we had gotten too little out of the oppurtunities we had. The interception in the endzone was a huge part of that WVU loss when you think about it. Collective team brainfarts.

All in all, the offense killed us against CU with dropped balls, tipped passes intercepted (twice) and turnovers (fumbles galore). Offensive anemia and before you know it the defense was too tired to stop the home team. Not a good combintation in the mountains.

The Texas Tech game was due to injuries and again, offensive anemia. The passes Halze was throwing WAY off target were easy strikes for Sam. We tried to hard to force the passing game and kept giving th ball back to Tech in return. Once again, road game and offensive anemia do you in. Add insult to injury, the team kept hearing how all they had to do was "win out" and they were in the MNC game. That's poison for a perrennial power like we've been under Stoops. Not so much for the 2000 team because they had never experienced that kind of success before and put no stock into "what ifs." Two years before that, they were just hoping they'd beat Baylor soundly.