PDA

View Full Version : Motel Chains

royalfan5
1/22/2008, 03:02 PM
Since my next trip is taking me to a town that is big enough to have more than one motel, I'll have an important choice to make on Thursday. Do I pick a Comfort Inn, Holiday Inn Express, Best Western, Super 8, or a Country Inn and Suites? Or roll the dice with a local operation. I'm leaning Comfort Inn right now because of the promise of waffles for breakfast. However, are there Motel Chains that are more consistent across the board? This business travel is still pretty new to me.

Mjcpr
1/22/2008, 03:03 PM
Aren't most of the HIE fairly new? I'd say that'd be a plus.

IB4OU2
1/22/2008, 03:03 PM
You know you have to make your own waffles at those places.

royalfan5
1/22/2008, 03:04 PM
You know you have to make your own waffles at those places.
At least I have the opportunity to make them though.

Hamhock
1/22/2008, 03:08 PM
Hampton

royalfan5
1/22/2008, 03:13 PM
Hampton
It's not that big of a town. What I listed are my options for this trip.

Hamhock
1/22/2008, 03:15 PM
It's not that big of a town. What I listed are my options for this trip.

then, i'd go for a full-blown Hilton.

Howzit
1/22/2008, 03:16 PM
Depends entirely on when each was built. Except the Super 8, rule it out.

Each of the others can be ok if it is newer, and ****ty if it's not. As Mjcpr said, HIE are mostly newer, so if you don't know about the others it's probably the safest bet.

Whet
1/22/2008, 06:18 PM
Holiday Inn Express....

Regardless of which you choose -remove the bed cover, use your sanitary wipes on the remote control, light switches, and door knobs.

Also, pull off the side of the sheets, looking at the top bead of the mattress for bed bug indicators......

I've done too much traveling with stays in hotels/motels..........

crawfish
1/22/2008, 06:28 PM
I pulled a hotel chain once, and the toilet squirted me in the ***.

Rogue
1/22/2008, 06:43 PM
How long you stayin'? HI and BW both have good points clubs.
Free food is hard to beat. For me, when I'm stayin' a week or more and trying not to blow my travel budget, a fridge or mini kitchen is hard to beat.

Location is a big deal too.

BigRedJed
1/22/2008, 06:44 PM
I stay pretty much exclusively at Marriott products. Depending on the market/trip (read: price/budget), I've stayed in most of the Marriott flags. Very few have ever been bad experiences. Generally really consistent. Plus, I'm a rewards member, and have had a number of free stays thanks to that.

Marriott properties include (I might forget one or two) mostly in order of typical priciness:

Fairfield Inn, Springhill Suites, TownePlace Suites, Residence Inn, Courtyard by Marriott, Marriott Hotels, Renaissance Hotels, JW Marriott Hotels, Ritz-Carlton Hotels.

I've stayed many times at all but the TownePlace Suites, JW Marriott (I've been in them but not stayed in Denver, Miami and Santa Monica) and Ritz-Carlton (been in but not stayed at the one in Boston).

The worst of all of them was a Courtyard in Dallas that was about 10 years past needing a remodel. Other than that I've been quite pleased overall.

soonerbrat
1/22/2008, 07:01 PM
I'd stay away from the local yokel motels..they're usually rent-by-the-hour places

Rogue
1/22/2008, 07:16 PM
I prefer the local yokel motels..they're usually rent-by-the-hour places
Fixed. (Yer signature didn't need any work though.)

Whet
1/22/2008, 07:26 PM
The worst place I stayed was the Lincoln Motel in Chandler! The place was constructed for midgets.... Plus, the 25w bulbs in the room really helped reviewing the well logs. Did I mention the party-line telephones in the room, as well? The showerhead came up to my chest....

Yes, local motels are a gamble!

soonerbrat
1/22/2008, 07:35 PM
Fixed. (Yer signature didn't need any work though.)

funny

bonus points if you can name the movie my quote came from

John Kochtoston
1/22/2008, 08:05 PM
The worst of all of them was a Courtyard in Dallas that was about 10 years past needing a remodel. Other than that I've been quite pleased overall.

It must have fit in well with the rest of the city.

Williesan
1/22/2008, 10:35 PM
Choice Hotels (Comfort Inn, Sleep Inn, etc.) is where I usually stay when I'm on the road. Good rewards program too - catch a promo period when you stay 2 nights in a certain timeframe and get a third free, or cash that night in for FF miles, gift cards, etc.

Comfort Suites (if available) is not bad if it fits your budget. I stayed in one near the racetrack in Daytona last summer and it was one of the nicest I've stayed in for $89/night (it's $400+ a night when the Daytona 500 or July 4th weekend race is happening, so unless you're traveling on JohnnyMack's expense accout, fugettaboutit!)

The new one in Waco on I-35 about a mile east of Floyd Casey Stadium is really nice and well run too. Probably will stay there if we roadtrip down there this fall.

Local joints? Avoid. Like. Plague. Unless it's in a small town and the only game in town.

Most chains are good and for the most part, well run. Just be careful where you go however - if it's really cheap, there's a good reason.

Williesan

C&CDean
1/22/2008, 11:03 PM
I would just like to take this opportunity to thank y'all for buying stamps. I can't tell you how much it would suck to travel for business and have to stay in the flea-infested dives that you have listed.

soonerbrat
1/22/2008, 11:41 PM
Sorry Dean, I don't buy stamps.

OCUDad
1/22/2008, 11:50 PM
then, i'd go for a full-blown Hilton.Like Paris?

TheHumanAlphabet
1/23/2008, 10:22 AM
Hampton

That's who I am partial to.

soonerinabilene
1/23/2008, 10:31 AM
funny

bonus points if you can name the movie my quote came from

Clueless. And yes, I am teh ghey for knowing that.

BigRedJed
1/23/2008, 10:37 AM
...sstuff...

IB4OU2
1/23/2008, 11:22 AM
I stay pretty much exclusively at Marriott products. Depending on the market/trip (read: price/budget), I've stayed in most of the Marriott flags. Very few have ever been bad experiences. Generally really consistent. Plus, I'm a rewards member, and have had a number of free stays thanks to that.

Marriott properties include (I might forget one or two) mostly in order of typical priciness:

Fairfield Inn, Springhill Suites, TownePlace Suites, Residence Inn, Courtyard by Marriott, Marriott Hotels, Renaissance Hotels, JW Marriott Hotels, Ritz-Carlton Hotels.

I've stayed many times at all but the TownePlace Suites, JW Marriott (I've been in them but not stayed in Denver, Miami and Santa Monica) and Ritz-Carlton (been in but not stayed at the one in Boston).

That's pretty much the only places we stay. The Courtyards are the nicer , dependable places in LA, Tampa and Cedarfalls.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/23/2008, 11:51 AM
Motel six = Motel seks as I call them sometimes. They do leave the light on for you, only they don't say what color it is...;)

TheHumanAlphabet
1/23/2008, 11:53 AM
That's pretty much the only places we stay. The Courtyards are the nicer , dependable places in LA, Tampa and Cedarfalls.

In my travels fairfield inn and towneplace suites are what I would say cheap knockoffs of the original. Courtyards have been old and run down in my times I tried them. the others you mentioned by BigRedJed have been fairly good.

soonerbrat
1/23/2008, 12:06 PM
Motle six = Motel seks as I call them sometimes. They do leave the light on for you, only they don't say what color it is...;)

green?

TheHumanAlphabet
1/23/2008, 12:13 PM
perhaps... I was thinking of a shade of red :eek: