PDA

View Full Version : KFC's chicken wings are terrible

Frozen Sooner
1/21/2008, 11:18 PM
Man, you'd think that a company that specializes in fried chicken could make a decent buffalo wing, but apparently not.

Ugh.

That is all.

goingoneight
1/21/2008, 11:23 PM
KFC has really been the suck for a few years now. Sad, I used to like the Colonel.

proud gonzo
1/21/2008, 11:25 PM
supposedly they have crispy buffalo wings with no sauce now. i saw a commercial the other day. i don't think i'll be trying those.

sooneron
1/21/2008, 11:26 PM
KFC lost me when they became KFC. NOT KENTUCKY FRIED CHICKEN.

setem
The pot pie is pretty good if you ask me!

olevetonahill
Of all the Buffaloes In all the world
Ive nevar seen a damn one with wings ! :confused:

setem
1/21/2008, 11:28 PM
So is like chicken of the sea...really chicken? or is it tuna?

olevetonahill
1/21/2008, 11:31 PM
So is like chicken of the sea...really chicken? or is it tuna?
Theres Ya lunch !;)

Frozen Sooner
1/21/2008, 11:50 PM
KFC lost me when they became KFC. NOT KENTUCKY FRIED CHICKEN.

Soooo...1990?

Frozen Sooner
1/21/2008, 11:51 PM
supposedly they have crispy buffalo wings with no sauce now. i saw a commercial the other day. i don't think i'll be trying those.

Yeah, I asked about those. The guy at the drivethrough had never heard of them.

silverwheels
1/21/2008, 11:55 PM

That commercial is so dumb it makes me not want to eat at KFC. Not that I ever have the craving, but that just kind of solidifies it.

sooneron
1/22/2008, 12:02 AM
Soooo...1990?
Was it really 1990? I thought it was later that they officially became KFC.

JohnnyMack
1/22/2008, 12:05 AM
You got Popeyes up in them there parts, Nanook?

Frozen Sooner
1/22/2008, 12:07 AM
You got Popeyes up in them there parts, Nanook?

Yeah, but they're across town.

I actually worked at one when I was in high school.

Frozen Sooner
1/22/2008, 12:08 AM
Was it really 1990? I thought it was later that they officially became KFC.

It may not have been official yet, but they did want their employees saying "KFC" way back then.

Yet ANOTHER place I worked in high school. Finally got an internship at Arco. :D

sooneron
1/22/2008, 12:11 AM
According to wiki, Froze is pretty much right and along with my statement, KFC has sucked since 1991.

BigRedJed
1/22/2008, 12:14 AM
And despite that, they're still better than Eischen's. Flame away.

OUAndy1807
1/22/2008, 12:15 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=tfan5MacmsI

Frozen Sooner
1/22/2008, 12:15 AM
Yep. Something about a negative connotation for food being fried.

So instead of making their chicken healthier, they just changed the name.

I love our country. :D

KABOOKIE
1/22/2008, 12:18 AM
fried chicken /= (X10) buffalo wings. seriously people.

Frozen Sooner
1/22/2008, 12:20 AM
Well, hell, I know that, but you figure that a guy who can build a deck could probably figure out a way to make a credible cabinet, even if he's not a cabinetmaker by trade, right?

silverwheels
1/22/2008, 12:23 AM

I haven't eaten there in like 6 or 7 years, but I remember it as being very good.

KABOOKIE
1/22/2008, 12:23 AM
If you like your cabinets made from 2X4's then yes.

BigRedJed
1/22/2008, 12:26 AM
I haven't eaten there in like 6 or 7 years, but I remember it as being very good.
No you don't. You remember a fun road trip with your friends/family, and you've also heard a bunch of people talk about how good it is, because they remember fun roadtrips with their friends/family, and because they've had people tell them how good it is.

Nobody really likes Eischen's. Back away from the Koolaid. I'm just trying to help, here.

silverwheels
1/22/2008, 12:27 AM
Ted's is average at best.

BigRedJed
1/22/2008, 12:27 AM
I agree.

BigRedJed
1/22/2008, 12:28 AM
They do have excellent service and hand washing policies, however.

silverwheels
1/22/2008, 12:29 AM
I agree.

Dammit, you're not one of them. :mad: :D

olevetonahill
1/22/2008, 12:30 AM
Heres the Story !
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harland_Sanders

BigRedJed
1/22/2008, 12:33 AM
Dammit, you're not one of them. :mad: :D
If by "them" you mean lemmings who have difficulty discerning a difference between great food and hype/mass hypnosis, I agree. :D

silverwheels
1/22/2008, 12:35 AM
If by "them" you mean lemmings who have difficulty discerning a difference between great food and hype/mass hypnosis, I agree. :D

Well, if you want to paint the picture with a broad brush, then yes. I was speaking more specifically of the lemmings who worship Ted's as some great Tex-Mex food cathedral.

BigRedJed
1/22/2008, 12:40 AM
I still agree.

crawfish
1/22/2008, 08:51 AM
One of my good friends in high school worked at the Norman KFC in the 80's. He told stories of the things they did to the hot grease - things they fried in it.

I try not to think of that anymore. :eek:

(BTW, the old hot wings rocked. I go to Popeye's these days)

85Sooner
1/22/2008, 09:04 AM
Didn't the State of Kentucky sue for royalties in using the word "kentucky" so they changed it to KFC?

Sorry, heres the story.
http://www.snopes.com/horrors/food/kfc.asp

sanantoniosooner
1/22/2008, 09:19 AM
Didn't the State of Kentucky sue for royalties in using the word "kentucky" so they changed it to KFC?
funniest thing I've read all day.

It isn't even 8:30 AM though.

sanantoniosooner
1/22/2008, 09:20 AM
AND KFC ROCKS.

I don't know how some of you find joy anywhere in life.

You don't have to like the entire menu BTW.

sooneron
1/22/2008, 09:47 AM
The last time I had kfc was in penn station about two years ago. That could have something to do with it.

I can't believe this thread is around 37 replies with no mention of the colonel being a member of The Pentavirate.

http://www.moviecritic.ca/reviews/1993/so_i_married_an_axe_murderer/myers_father_01.jpg

soonerinabilene
1/22/2008, 10:06 AM
With his wee beedy little eyes saying "eat my chicken"

soonerinabilene
1/22/2008, 10:07 AM
Is Rex's still open? I remember eating there when I was a little kid and i thought it was awesome.

Condescending Sooner
1/22/2008, 10:53 AM

Finally, someone other than I can see the truth amongst all the hype.

JohnnyMack
1/22/2008, 11:00 AM
Is Rex's still open? I remember eating there when I was a little kid and i thought it was awesome.

Nope.

<sad panda>

They did reopen a little place called King Chicken down at 81st & Yale for a while that was take out only, but it didn't make it.

Oldnslo
1/22/2008, 11:42 AM
I liked the sauceless hot wings.
I like Popeyes.

I suck at foods.

NormanPride
1/22/2008, 11:49 AM
badger likes the KFC, and the last time she coerced me to eat there I got horrible intestinal problems. Nevar again.

And Ted's isn't bad. As a man who knows Tex-Mex, Ted's is one of the better places I've been to in Oklahoma. I still prefer the authentic Mexican places like Cancun and El Rio Verde, though.

soonerinabilene
1/22/2008, 11:49 AM
Nope.

<sad panda>

They did reopen a little place called King Chicken down at 81st & Yale for a while that was take out only, but it didn't make it.

Well that sucks. First I find out Casa Bonita is closed. Now Rex's. If the Tastee Freeze in Skiatook is closed when I come up there I am gonna flip out.

BigRedJed
1/22/2008, 12:10 PM
...And Ted's isn't bad...
I agree. The problem is "isn't bad" isn't what I'm looking for. Especially if it involves a ridiculous wait in line with a bunch of hypnotized lemmings.

I'll stick with Las Palomas, thanks.

Scott D
1/22/2008, 12:16 PM
yeah the alleged sauceless hot wings are the terrible. They just tasted like regular light meat wings to me. I think next time I try them (provided they last another week), I'll do the "Wings, meet hot sauce" thing.

And ima have waffles with it.

sooneron
1/22/2008, 12:16 PM
I had a first date at Ted's. once

JohnnyMack
1/22/2008, 12:17 PM
I like me some Popeye's chicken with hot sauce poured on it.

TMcGee86
1/22/2008, 12:49 PM
Well that sucks. First I find out Casa Bonita is closed. Now Rex's. If the Tastee Freeze in Skiatook is closed when I come up there I am gonna flip out.

No freaking doubt. This is terrible. I had just said the next time I got to Tulsa I am going to Rex's.

Dammmmmmit.

If the Coney Islander is shut down, the city will burn for it.

BURN!!!!

stoops the eternal pimp
1/22/2008, 12:56 PM
Colonel Sanders said " I m to drunk to taste this chicken."

Mjcpr
1/22/2008, 01:24 PM
No freaking doubt. This is terrible. I had just said the next time I got to Tulsa I am going to Rex's.

Dammmmmmit.

If the Coney Islander is shut down, the city will burn for it.

BURN!!!!

It won't be due to lack of business; the Health Dept will likely be the culprit there.

:D

Sooner_Bob
1/22/2008, 01:44 PM
Man, you'd think that a company that specializes in fried chicken could make a decent buffalo wing, but apparently not.

Ugh.

That is all.

I had some teryaki ones a while back that were pretty good . . . the second time I tried them they weren't that great.

Sooner_Bob
1/22/2008, 01:48 PM
Why all the hate for Ted's?

If you're actually wanting great Mexican food then Oklahoma is the wrong place to look for it IMO. Albuquerque (or just about any place in NM) on the other hand is not. Based on where I've eaten Mexican food in the past I'd have to say that Ted's should not be considered bad.

silverwheels
1/22/2008, 02:42 PM
Santa Fe has good Mexican food. And architecture. And scenery.

****, Santa Fe is just all-around badass.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/22/2008, 02:43 PM
I have no hate for Ted's. I just think it's overrated. Why should I wait in line for an hour when I can wait 10 minutes for Mexican food that is just as good or better?

frankensooner
1/22/2008, 03:09 PM
I eat at the Edmond Ted's location. Usually there isn't a line. If there is a line, I go to Interurban.

BigRedJed
1/22/2008, 04:23 PM
I don't think anyone in this thread has said Ted's is bad. I'm the one who's been dogging it the most, and I never said it was bad. Only that it's average or slightly better.

The problem I have with Ted's is that there are probably a dozen as good or better places in the Metro, yet people rave about Ted's like it's head and shoulders above any food they've ever eaten, anywhere. They wait in stupidly long lines for it. It's all hype and no substance.

And the food in New Mexico is often fantastic. The only problem is that we're talking about two different types of cuisine. Pretty much all "Mexican" food around here is Tex Mex, while most of the quality grub in NM is "New Mexican." There's a pretty big difference.

The place I mentioned, Las Palomas, while it serves plenty of Tex Mex to survive in this market, also has a lot of authentic Mexican food choices. Plus, if you ask Miguel to surprise you with something off the menu and truly authentic, he'll likely accomodate you.

JohnnyMack
1/22/2008, 04:29 PM
The problem I have with Ted's is that there are probably a dozen as good or better places in the Metro, yet people rave about Ted's like it's head and shoulders above any food they've ever eaten, anywhere. They wait in stupidly long lines for it. It's all hype and no substance.

http://www.letsgetreadytoramble.com/images/fatty.jpg

Portion size. I think that might have something to do with it. God Bless America.

Hot Rod
1/22/2008, 04:33 PM
Caption for pic above: "Mom are you going to finish your Big Mac?"

(Notice that his food is already gone)

Boarder
1/22/2008, 04:37 PM
Santa Fe has good Mexican food. And architecture. And scenery.

****, Santa Fe is just all-around badass.
Are you serious? I found Santa Fe to be the most drab, depressing, ugly place I have ever driven through. I usually drive through it once a year at least going to Wolf Creek. I can't wait to leave. And it's the architecture and scenery that make me want to leave. I guess if I loved adobe color it would be different since the whole town is the same color.

I do love New Mexican food, though. Green chilies on everything, I'm in on that.

Scott D
1/22/2008, 04:39 PM
who you kidding, you want to see Adobe color spinners ;)

soonerbrat
1/22/2008, 04:39 PM
i'm so glad my daughter's favorite fast food place is subway

Boarder
1/22/2008, 04:40 PM
Nothing could make spinners any lamer, may as well be adobe color.

NormanPride
1/22/2008, 04:49 PM
Adobe spinners sound like some sort of strange new KFC Tex-Mex offering, strangely.

silverwheels
1/22/2008, 04:49 PM
Are you serious? I found Santa Fe to be the most drab, depressing, ugly place I have ever driven through. I usually drive through it once a year at least going to Wolf Creek. I can't wait to leave. And it's the architecture and scenery that make me want to leave. I guess if I loved adobe color it would be different since the whole town is the same color.

I do love New Mexican food, though. Green chilies on everything, I'm in on that.

Driving through it and staying there are two totally different things. I guess if you don't like New Mexican/Southwestern architecture and culture you're not going to like it.

So whatever. Good for you.

soonerinabilene
1/22/2008, 05:05 PM
Driving through it and staying there are two totally different things. I guess if you don't like New Mexican/Southwestern architecture and culture you're not going to like it.

All i know is Santa Fe has a pizzeria called Il Vicinos that is the best pizza Ive ever had.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/22/2008, 05:15 PM
Where is this Los Palomas?

IB4OU2
1/22/2008, 05:23 PM

I love Taos as well and the food's pretty good. God Bless the SageBrush Inn.

BigRedJed
1/22/2008, 05:34 PM
Where is this Los Palomas?
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=las+palomas+oklahoma+city (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=las+palomas+oklahoma+city)

BigRedJed
1/22/2008, 05:40 PM
Best place for recovering from a hangover in Albuquerque (http://www.frontierrestaurant.com/)

http://www.macinstruct.com/new/images/columns/school/school1.jpg

SOONER STEAKER
1/22/2008, 06:07 PM
If you want good wings, here's what I do.

Go get some chicken wings, deep fry them or bake them. For the sauce, melt some butter and add Durkee's Hot Sauce. Mix Durkee Sauce with the melted butter, then dip the wings in the sauce. They are spicy good!! ENJOY!!

John Kochtoston
1/22/2008, 07:52 PM

Gallup would also be an acceptable answer.

Sooner_Bob
1/22/2008, 08:40 PM
I eat at the Edmond Ted's location. Usually there isn't a line. If there is a line, I go to Interurban.

Exactly. The longest we've ever had to wait there is like 10 minutes. No line = doable.

If I've got to wait an hour or more for food, any food I don't do it.

Sooner_Bob
1/22/2008, 08:42 PM
I don't think anyone in this thread has said Ted's is bad. I'm the one who's been dogging it the most, and I never said it was bad. Only that it's average or slightly better.

And the food in New Mexico is often fantastic. The only problem is that we're talking about two different types of cuisine. Pretty much all "Mexican" food around here is Tex Mex, while most of the quality grub in NM is "New Mexican." There's a pretty big difference.

The place I mentioned, Las Palomas, while it serves plenty of Tex Mex to survive in this market, also has a lot of authentic Mexican food choices. Plus, if you ask Miguel to surprise you with something off the menu and truly authentic, he'll likely accomodate you.

You think Ted's is TexMex? Seriously?

TexMex to me is On The Border . . .

Frozen Sooner
1/22/2008, 08:42 PM
I feel kind of the same way about the Moose's Tooth Pizza up here.

They have great pizza. Truly great. But it isn't so great that I'm going to wait an hour for a dang table.

Sooner_Bob
1/22/2008, 08:43 PM
I feel kind of the same way about the Moose's Tooth Pizza up here.

They have great pizza. Truly great. But it isn't so great that I'm going to wait an hour for a dang table.

I can second this . . . dang Mike, now you're making me miss Lumpy's too.

Sooner_Bob
1/22/2008, 08:44 PM
Gallup (especially on the weekends) would also be an acceptable answer.

Fixed. ;)

Frozen Sooner
1/22/2008, 08:45 PM
I can second this . . . dang Mike, now you're making me miss Lumpy's too.

Lumpy's?

I always forget you've lived up here.

Sooner_Bob
1/22/2008, 08:46 PM

You need to make a run down to Hatch . . . home of the green chili.

soonerbrat
1/22/2008, 08:47 PM
there's a lumpy's here

Sooner_Bob
1/22/2008, 08:47 PM
Best place for recovering from a hangover in Albuquerque (http://www.frontierrestaurant.com/)

http://www.macinstruct.com/new/images/columns/school/school1.jpg

Or if you just wanna go eat a big fat burrito at 3 am.

Frozen Sooner
1/22/2008, 08:48 PM
Or if you just wanna go eat a big fat burrito at 3 am.

IN!

Sincerely,

1tC

Sooner_Bob
1/22/2008, 08:49 PM
Lumpy's?

I always forget you've lived up here.

Never lived up there, but during my travels I've probably spent about a month up there. A night or two in Nome and the rest in Anchorage.

Mainly for meetings and conferences . . .

Frozen Sooner
1/22/2008, 08:50 PM
Never lived up there, but during my travels I've probably spent about a month up there. A night or two in Nome and the rest in Anchorage.

Mainly for meetings and conferences . . .

Fair enough. As long as you can confirm that Moose's Tooth Pizza is the awesome.

SelmaBamaFan (where did that cat go?) can also testify.

yermom
1/22/2008, 09:01 PM
i've waited over an hour at the Edmond Ted's...

and lemming my ***. Ted's is consistently awesome. i haven't had anything on the menu that was bad. the quality of their ingredients and the general quality of their food is the best i've had. and it leans more to authentic than a lot of other places.

i haven't tried Las Palomas though, i might. i also like Cafe Perico a lot.

Scott D
1/22/2008, 09:37 PM
and yermom knows food :)

Frozen Sooner
1/22/2008, 09:40 PM
Oh, hey, Bob, next time you're in town, head to Mexico in Alaska. There's some great Mexican food.

No, seriously. Like has been rated one of the top 10 Mexican restaurants in the country. They've slipped a little since then, but they still make a very good Arroz con Pollo and Pollo Mole.

JohnnyMack
1/22/2008, 09:49 PM
IN!

Sincerely,

1tC

Yeah, but that has an entirely different connotation when he says it.

Sooner_Bob
1/22/2008, 09:59 PM
Oh, hey, Bob, next time you're in town, head to Mexico in Alaska. There's some great Mexican food.

No, seriously. Like has been rated one of the top 10 Mexican restaurants in the country. They've slipped a little since then, but they still make a very good Arroz con Pollo and Pollo Mole.

If I ever get back up there I might just have to do that . . .

yermom
1/22/2008, 10:54 PM
and yermom knows food :)

i'm no PQ :D

Crucifax Autumn
1/23/2008, 02:47 AM
If you want good wings, here's what I do.

Go get some chicken wings, deep fry them or bake them. For the sauce, melt some butter and add Durkee's Hot Sauce. Mix Durkee Sauce with the melted butter, then dip the wings in the sauce. They are spicy good!! ENJOY!!

Best wings in the world:

Just toss 'em in a big pan and drown 'em in the Stubb's BBQ wing sauce and slow cook 'em until the sauce cooks down.

Even better, lose the wings and use thighs.

Stubb's may be an Austin establishment, but that old guy knows BBQ and Blues!

tommieharris91
1/23/2008, 02:54 AM
They make mole. That is a reason to go just by itself.

sanantoniosooner
1/23/2008, 08:11 AM
They make mole. That is a reason to go just by itself.
I know lots of hispanic people that wont even eat mole.

Oldnslo
1/23/2008, 11:50 AM
I won't eat mole, but I'll whack a mole.

Oldnslo
1/23/2008, 12:14 PM
They can't all be gems, people.

frankensooner
1/23/2008, 12:15 PM
sometimes its just gravel. ;)

Mixer!
1/23/2008, 12:21 PM
http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/7512/844bobbyjm6.jpg

Czar Soonerov
1/23/2008, 01:11 PM
if you ask Miguel to surprise you with something off the menu and truly authentic, he'll likely accomodate you.

:hot: