PDA

View Full Version : Coach Golloway answering questions about 2008 season

setem
1/21/2008, 03:14 PM
The University of Oklahoma baseball team met Monday, Jan. 14 to begin individual practices in preparation for the 2008 season. OU last practiced during the annual Red/White Series in the middle of November.

The Sooners will conclude their individual workouts on Feb. 1, when team practices resume.

OU will open the 2008 season at UCLA for a three-game set beginning on Friday, Feb. 22. The season opener is slated for an 8 p.m. (CT) start and will be broadcast on the Sooners' flagship station, KOKC 1520 AM.

The 2008 home opener is scheduled for Tuesday, Feb. 26 at L. Dale Mitchell Park. The Sooners will host Arkansas Pine Bluff at 3 p.m. and the two will conclude the two-game series on Feb. 27 at 3 p.m.

With the season a little over a month away, SoonerSports.com sat down with head coach Sunny Golloway for a question and answer session to learn more about this year's club and what fans can expect this season.

Have you ever been presented with such a large group of newcomers that will be expected to play a large role in the team's success?

Sometimes you have a large turnover, but typically you have enough returning starters that it balances out the transition. This year, we will have new faces at almost every position. It will be a tough transition in terms of getting them prepared for the Big 12, but it's a challenge the coaching staff and players are looking forward to. We have to make sure that they are not trying to get too far ahead of themselves and concentrate on the current situation and live in the moment.

What are your thoughts on adding Mike Bell and Russell Raley to your staff and what they can bring to the table?

Both of them have brought in a breath of fresh air with their thoughts and ideas. Coach Bell (Kenai Oilers) and Coach Raley (Oklahoma) were both players of mine and understand the importance of stressing fundamentals and know that good pitching and defense wins championships. Their experience will help them lead by example and help our kids understand what it takes to win on the diamond.

What are the strengths and weaknesses of this team heading into the 2008 season?

The strengths of this team remain to be seen after the fall, but pitching depth and defense are two things that can and need to be strengths. Team speed is another area that we feel confident in, both defensively and offensively. That speed will help us create pressure on our opponents.

Inexperience is an obvious weakness and another area is our middle infield. Most clubs at this point have settled on those position players and we have not. The talent is there but those individuals have not stepped up.

What questions were answered during the fall practices?

Two big questions were answered after the fall and that was who will hit at the top of our order and who will be in our pitching rotation, including our closer. Aljay Davis, Jamie Johnson and possibly Tyson Seng are three guys that have all the components necessary to hit at the top of a lineup. And Stephen Porlier, Andrew Doyle and Chase Anderson are experienced college pitchers that have the poise to be successful as weekend starters. Jake McCarter also shined and showed he can be a quality closer.

Are there questions that still remain before the season gets underway?

Yes. Like we discussed before, the middle infield is still undecided. Also, we are unsure who will hit in the 4 and 5 holes in the lineup. So the power our lineup possesses is a question mark. We need to find out, besides Baker, who can drive in runs. That also means we are still looking to see who our designated hitter from the left and right side of the plate will be.

Who has made the most improvement from the 2007 team up until now?

Aljay Davis. He showed last season that he can be a successful leadoff hitter and a good second baseman. With that said, Aljay is going to remain at the top of the order but we will move him from second to center field. He was originally recruited out of junior college as an outfielder and he has a chance to be a difference maker for us in center.

With the start date of the 2008 season pushed back this year, are there any concerns that the pitching staff will fatigue too early in the season?

I believe our pitching staff will do well with the later start date as long as our starters can give us quality starts (five-plus innings). That will enable us to save our bullpen and not use those relievers too much too early. As coaches, our philosophy will have to change during the non-conference season. We will not be as prone to pull pitchers early in a game and will allow them the opportunity to pitch out of more jams.

Texas, Missouri and Baylor have all been tabbed as potential CWS teams in 2008. Is this season shaping up to be one of the best for the conference?

From top to bottom, the conference will be stronger than year's past and perhaps the strongest it has ever been since it formed over 10 years ago," said Golloway. "There is never an easy game in the Big 12 and this year, any team could emerge in each of the top three spots. That is something I have never seen before in this conference. I believe the Big 12 is the best conference in the nation and I have said that for the past three years. The 10 programs in the Big 12 are as good as any other conference's representatives.

What are your thoughts on playing a tough non-conference schedule in order to prepare yourself better for the challenges of conference play?

The great debate of whether teams should be rewarded at the end of the year after playing a tough schedule still remains. I have always been a firm believer that you need to give your players the opportunity to compete and develop in the most competitive setting prior to conference play. That is what I have tried to do as a collegiate head coach and that is what we will continue to do at the University of Oklahoma.

*Even with my recent distaste for Coach Galloway. I think we will be much better than people give us credit for. The bullpen should be much improved and we return some great guys in the starting rotation. Even though Aljay Davis is moving to the OF. I am sure the coaches will find the right guys for the middle IF. If we can make a good showing at the UCLA games that should be a good sign for the rest of the season. Having a new pitching coach should be good for us as well. Change can sometimes be a good thing. Russel Raley should be able to keep the peace between the players and Sunny. I cant wait for the season to get started*

Collier11
1/21/2008, 03:59 PM
*Even with my recent distaste for Coach Galloway. I think we will be much better than people give us credit for. The bullpen should be much improved and we return some great guys in the starting rotation. Even though Aljay Davis is moving to the OF. I am sure the coaches will find the right guys for the middle IF. If we can make a good showing at the UCLA games that should be a good sign for the rest of the season. Having a new pitching coach should be good for us as well. Change can sometimes be a good thing. Russel Raley should be able to keep the peace between the players and Sunny. I cant wait for the season to get started*

Damn the guy for taking us within 1 game of the CWS, 2 Top 20 finishes, 79 wins in two years, and 1 win from a Big 12 title last year which would have been our first since 96.

setem
1/21/2008, 05:08 PM
No no no...dont get me wrong. I think he is a fantastic coach. But as a person I really do not like the guy. He is a big jerk! I only wish I could be half of what he is at coaching. But I never want to be like him as a person. His attitude is going to hold us back. He is doing good things for us right now but I see us heading in a bad direction.

Collier11
1/21/2008, 05:11 PM
No no no...dont get me wrong. I think he is a fantastic coach. But as a person I really do not like the guy. He is a big jerk! I only wish I could be half of what he is at coaching. But I never want to be like him as a person. His attitude is going to hold us back. He is doing good things for us right now but I see us heading in a bad direction.

Sometimes having a prick for a coach is a good thing, only time will tell but I think he will turn out to be a great hire

MextheBulldog
1/21/2008, 05:12 PM
Damn the guy for taking us within 1 game of the CWS, 2 Top 20 finishes, 79 wins in two years, and 1 win from a Big 12 title last year which would have been our first since 96.

One win from a Big 12 title last year (?) - if you mean the tourney, they did not even qualify for the Tournament Final. And regular season record conf. record was 11-16. Team ranked 4th in hitting and 9th in pitching last year.

Meanwhile, UT has back to back regular season conference titles and 87 wins.

Just sayin, there is plenty o room for improvement.

Collier11
1/21/2008, 05:20 PM
One win from a Big 12 title last year (?) - if you mean the tourney, they did not even qualify for the Tournament Final. And regular season record conf. record was 11-16. Team ranked 4th in hitting and 9th in pitching last year.

Meanwhile, UT has back to back regular season conference titles and 87 wins.

Just sayin, there is plenty o room for improvement.

Did you see how many starters we lost off of the 06 team and we still had the season we had last year...perspective my friend!

He has had 2 big time recruiting classes, we have to give them a chance to mesh.

Newbomb Turk
1/21/2008, 05:25 PM
Sometimes having a prick for a coach is a good thing

just look at how good Tech is in basketball.

Collier11
1/21/2008, 05:27 PM
just look at how good Tech is in basketball.
:D :D

Ardmore_Sooner
1/21/2008, 06:20 PM
I wish just for one season, and I'm not holding my breath, that we can just leave the negative posts about Galloway out of this. We know he's a jerk. Drop it :D

soonerguild
1/22/2008, 03:07 PM
Im just glad people are talking about OU baseball, props to you guys and I wish more people supported baseball. I can't wait for the season to start.

Collier11
1/22/2008, 04:07 PM
I wish just for one season, and I'm not holding my breath, that we can just leave the negative posts about Galloway out of this. We know he's a jerk. Drop it :D

exactly, until he stops winning lets get behind the guy

SOONER STEAKER
1/22/2008, 04:18 PM
Galloway a jerk? How bout an ***. On the field though, he is all business.

Ardmore_Sooner
1/22/2008, 05:13 PM
exactly, until he stops winning lets get behind the guy

I agree. Or until we start seeing big time internal problems, such as recruiting violations or players winding up in trouble.

setem
1/22/2008, 11:52 PM
I agree. Or until we start seeing big time internal problems, such as recruiting violations or players winding up in trouble.

So that whole thing with Devin Shepherd getting the boot while on the road @ Mizzou is not an internal problem. I am not saying that was all Sunny's fault but tempers had been steaming for a while and things just boiled over. You know had we not lost Shep(who was not mlb ready) Aljay would still be playing in the infield and there would only be one question marks in the middle infield instead of 2. I mean cmon, the guy cant even get along with his own nephew! I looked up to Sunny because jumped on Frank Anderson the year before last when the OSU players were being **** heads! I also thought it was cool that got tossed for going ape **** on the umpired at home against Texas that same year. He went on a 15 min rampage of kicking dirt on the umpires. He was kicking up some huge clouds too.(I could take a few lessons from him on giving the umps hell). Now I know he is just a big JERK! Sunny is a great coach he is also a mean SOB! I strive to have a baseball mind like Sunny's but I hope I can be a all around stellar coach like Denny Crabaugh at OCU.

I understand the Sunny Galloway comparison to Bobby Knight but sports should never come to the point where it is not fun anymore. I have seen Bobby be nice to his players. I have seen Sunny be nice to the guys. I just don't think he gets along with them long enough to build any confidence in them. I have had coaches who all the did was kick our *** and there rarely was a nice thing ever said. We may have done well but we never played to our true potential. There was always a feeling that we could have done better and I know that you should always try to be better. But, even when we won we never felt like we had accomplished anything because we knew were just going to get yelled at. It is hard to feel like you left it all on the field when your coach has nothing but negatives for you. I had a Legion coach in Arkansas and we beat a team 22-0 and in out meeting after game he was ****ed because no one was hustling to first base. There are some coaches who look for crap to be mad about. My high school coach in Bentonville was for the most part a jerk but he knew when to be mean and when it was time to have a little fun. He also knew when to give us credit for what we have done. Maybe that is why he has a state championship under his belt and has made it to state damn near every year.

I am a baseball coach and one of the things that the coaches I have worked for have tried to instill me is that "you can be friendly just don't be the players friend". That is the truth we are not out there to make friends with out players. Our job is to get these guys ready to play so they will be able to win some games and have fun while doing it. I have worked for some pretty good guys, one is going into the OBCA Hall of Fame on Saturday and the one I am working for now is 24 wins away from 500 victories. The truly great coaches are the ones who can connect with the players and get the whole team playing as one. You have to maintain discipline in your players while still making the game fun to play. I think that is part of why so many good players flock to OCU to play baseball Denney Crabaugh and his coaching staff. Those guys over there know how to get the best out of the players and it shows in the wins column. 50+ wins 9 years in a row in the pretty hefty SAC??? That is just sick numbers. Denny and Keith are just well rounded good guys who can take their mediocre players and get them playing at a championship and professional level.

Galloway is a D1 coach for a reason. I cant tell him or anyone else at that level how to coach. I can make my observations though and it seems like the players are not happy. We may bring in good talent but how many players does he have to run off before we stop kissing his ***. :confused:

Ardmore_Sooner
1/23/2008, 12:29 AM
Setem, please don't blast me cause I only read the first line. I know some of the guys that play and Devin Shepperd was a leach from what I got. He not only tried to pick fights with other players, but with coaches. Now I will go back and read the rest of your post! :D

setem
1/23/2008, 12:43 AM
I am not going to blast you! I respect everyone's thoughts. I am sure I will get negged out the butt for that essay I just wrote!

Ardmore_Sooner
1/23/2008, 01:32 AM
Nah. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. I just hope that all this crap will get out of our systems by opening pitch against UCLA next month.

Collier11
1/23/2008, 02:06 AM
So that whole thing with Devin Shepherd getting the boot while on the road @ Mizzou is not an internal problem. :

maybe im way off base here but I heard the DS incident which led to him getting kicked off the team was more from his bad attitude and lack of being a team player than Golloway being a d*ck! ????

SOONER STEAKER
1/23/2008, 08:51 AM
Setern, I'll blast some green your way. Yoy=u hit the nail on the head, I love the Bobby Knight comparison. I'd love to come see your team play, what school do you coach at?

setem
1/23/2008, 12:56 PM
SE High School in Oklahoma City. We should run the table in the All-City Conf. Grant should be our only tough time. Most teams are really young this year. We return 7 seniors this year and all of them were starters. We have a kid who I think is one of the best in the state but no one has helped him get his name out. We are working on getting him a recruiting portfolio made. This kid can shoot high 80's with a nasty cutter - change combo. He can work the plate and knows the game inside and out. I cant keep him from playing pick up soccer games though. So he maybe playing injured after here pretty soon.

I coach the American Legion Post 12 Ruf-Neks during the summer though. We play at OCU. I love my school kids but the summer season is where the most fun happens. We are in tournaments @ Arkansas, Kansas and Mizzou this year we should bring home some hardware from 2 of 3 of those. If we get it together I think we could do well at all 3. I will be posting a schedule on here soon. Maybe we can work something out where we can give a Soonerfans.com discount to our games at OCU?

GOD I LOVE BASEBALL!!

Ardmore_Sooner
1/23/2008, 01:24 PM
Good luck this season setem! You are just down the road from Norman, I may have to come up for a game sometime!

SOONER STEAKER
1/23/2008, 09:07 PM
SG was on at halftime of the women's game tonight. Not impressed by SG at all. He seems very fake to me. Did anyone else think that as well?

setem
1/23/2008, 10:27 PM
I did not see it. Enough of all the negativity! This is going to be a good year for us. We get to see some new guys in the crimson and cream!

Who all goes to the games? My friend clay and I are going to try and make as many as we can this year. I think I made it to 9 games last year and I can not even remember how many the year before I watched a bunch of baseball that year! We are looking for a couch that we can toss in the back if the truck and set up on the hill so we can drink some cold ones. We get in free as it is but you cant drink in the stadium! I want to spray paint OU Couch Crew on the front and back of it! We will see though!

When I was in high school I used to take my girlfriend to Hog games. I remember when Kansas came to Baum Stadium. During the day it was like 85 but a cold front came through the temp at the first pitch dropped to from the 60's to 40's by the 3rd inning with a nasty wind. She and I were wearing shorts and t-shirts. I dont think I have ever been that cold in my life!

Ardmore_Sooner
1/23/2008, 11:49 PM
I go to all the games I can, but now I have work so Friday games may be showing up late. Students get in free so why wouldn't I want to go! I love me some college baseball! I always sit in the back row against the press box right behind home plate! You'll know me by my constant yelling! Boomer Sooner!

SOONER STEAKER
1/24/2008, 03:08 PM
I'll go to the Big Series games at home and at the Brick. Texas, Baylor, Mizzou, O-State. At the Brick, I sit up on top of the parking lot with a case of brewsky, seems like I give more away than I drink though. :pop:

1stTimeCaller
1/24/2008, 03:52 PM
are they planning on adding onto the stadium or lockerroom?

I'm hearing that there is going to be some more construction for the baseball team.

Anyone know what's going on?

Ardmore_Sooner
1/24/2008, 04:01 PM
I havent heard of this 1TC but I'll ask a friend of mine on the team and see if I can't find anything out.

SOONER STEAKER
1/24/2008, 10:35 PM
I do know that there will be work done at the football stadium this summer for next year. New lockerroom shwoers, bigger office for Bob and some work done in the training area. F'all is gettng alot of donations so upgrades are to be expected. Baseball donations are at an all time low, until donations go up, there will be no impovements.

I have a relative who works for the athletic dept and that is where I am getting my info.

1stTimeCaller
1/24/2008, 11:11 PM
then why are Sunny and members of the athletic department meeting with contractors?

just curious

SOONER STEAKER
1/24/2008, 11:38 PM
I'll make a phione call tomorrow and find out and I'lll report what I here. But as of Christmas, there was nothing on the drawing board by the OU Athletic Dept.

Upgrading the facility won't win Big 12 baseball games though. Win a Conference Championship and then we can talk about improvements.

soonerguild
1/25/2008, 12:40 AM
I'll make a phione call tomorrow and find out and I'lll report what I here. But as of Christmas, there was nothing on the drawing board by the OU Athletic Dept.

Upgrading the facility won't win Big 12 baseball games though. Win a Conference Championship and then we can talk about improvements.

seriously i love 'the mitch" but it is flat out terrible compared to most others that I have been to, which is quite a few. Plus stadium size is a big part of landing regionals which is a huge postseason advantage. Usually I don't get into the whole facilities buys success thing like our annoying neighbors to the north but in this case it really would help our program.

Oh and ill be at probably ever weekend home game and listen to the during the week games on the radio but med school is starting to really get heavy so I will have to miss the games around test block, anyway come out to right field and have a beer!

BOOMER SOONER

setem
1/26/2008, 10:25 PM
Well...I just thought everyone should know that the Oklahoma Baseball Coaches Association nominated Sunny for College Coach of the Year tonight and he didnt even bother to show up!

Collier11
1/26/2008, 11:02 PM
Well...I just thought everyone should know that the Oklahoma Baseball Coaches Association nominated Sunny for College Coach of the Year tonight and he didnt even bother to show up!

I thought the point that he is a jerk has been made, he isnt paid by OU to be a nice guy he is paid to win games and that is what ill judge him by. Did you think that maybe he had prior obligations, does anyone know why he didnt show up or is this just an attempt to make him look bad?

setem
1/26/2008, 11:32 PM
Well he was the only coach out of the group who did not make it tonight. I dont know why he missed. Maybe he was bashing kittens with a baseball bat or something! This event has been scheduled for a long time and it is not some backyard awards assembly! Denney Crabaugh(OCU) and others were inducted into the Oklahoma Baseball Coaches Hall of Fame. Denney and Richard Garrett(John Marshall HS and Classen SAS) both gave wonderful speeches!

sportsproducer
1/27/2008, 12:45 AM
I get to spend quite a bit of time with many of the players and have been able to since 2003. The percentage of players who do not get along with Sunny Golloway are no larger than any other teams and thei head coaches. Sunny is a differnet breed of cat and it does rub some people the wrong way.

I can tell you that he is no different than Gary Ward and Ron Frazier. I dealt wioth both of them. Hard nosed basbeall guys. I can also tell you that for a guy who people on the internet state that all of his players hate him there sure are a lot of players from his past bith ORU and OU that show up every year to visit with the team and they all seem very cordial with Sunny as well. Not here to say the guy is pefect but then again there is not one coach on campus who is.

BTW, there have been drawings put together and a fundraising effort started for eventual upgrades to LDM. I can also tell you that mosrt of the broadcasting folks, ESPN, Fox CSTV etc feel that LDM is one ofthe top 4 facilities in the Big 12. It would be much better if the folks who bithced about it so much actually showed up for a game.

setem
1/27/2008, 05:36 PM
I never said that all of the players hate him! I never got along with my high school coach and one of my legion coach and I do not hate them. They made me a better ball player and they do their job well. Sunny does his job well. He is a good coach!

I like LDM! It is a nice place to play ball and and watch games. I have never played on it myself but I have been on the field during Sunbelt and the surface is just top notch!