PDA

View Full Version : Norm Chow to UCLA

Dan Thompson
1/21/2008, 03:11 PM
I didn't see it posted, but it is pretty big news out here. Seems when Chow left USC, there was a little issue between him and Pete.

Flagstaffsooner
1/21/2008, 03:14 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=3206978

LOS ANGELES -- Norm Chow, who tutored a pair of Heisman Trophy-winning quarterbacks at Southern California, is returning as offensive coordinator at crosstown rival UCLA.

http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2008/0115/nfl_u_chow_65.jpg Chow

Chow, fired last week by the Tennessee Titans, joins the staff of new UCLA coach Rick Neuheisel, the former Bruins quarterback who took the job late last month.

Before coming to USC and working with Carson Palmer and Matt Leinart, the 61-year-old Chow groomed Heisman winner Ty Detmer at BYU. His coaching resume includes six quarterbacks who were first-round picks in the NFL: Palmer, Leinart, Philip Rivers, Jim McMahon, Steve Young and Marc Wilson.

UCLA quarterback Ben Olson was considered one of the top prospects in the nation when he came out of high school, but he has yet to live up to his billing with the Bruins.

Chow was the Titans' offensive coordinator for three years and was credited with helping Vince Young make the transition to the pro game. The Titans finished 10-6 and made the playoffs for the first time since 2003, losing 17-6 to San Diego in an AFC wild-card game.

But Tennessee ranked 21st in the league in total offense and became the first team with only nine touchdown passes to reach the playoffs in a 16-game season.

Chow, who has interviewed for several college head coaching jobs, was under Pete Carroll at USC for four seasons, including two national championship years. Before that, he worked with Rivers at North Carolina State following 27 years on the BYU staff.

Curly Bill
1/21/2008, 03:17 PM
This is a good get for them...

...that is if Neuheisel is willing to share.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/21/2008, 03:26 PM
Why can't this guy get a head coaching gig? May be a little late for him to ever get one

Curly Bill
1/21/2008, 03:27 PM
Exactly. This hire is just publicity and bravado.

Also a sharp stick to Petey's rib cage. ;)

Flagstaffsooner
1/21/2008, 03:40 PM
Wonder if he will squalk about the Bush deal?

sanantoniosooner
1/21/2008, 03:48 PM
Wonder if he will squalk about the Bush deal?
That's an interesting thing to consider.

Skippy already nailed the NCAA for some cash, so UCLA will have to be squeaky clean themselves.

KingDavid
1/21/2008, 04:13 PM
Skippy already nailed the NCAA for some cash . . . .

I don't get it. Can you elaborate that for those like me who are dense?

sanantoniosooner
1/21/2008, 04:16 PM
I don't get it. Can you elaborate that for those like me who are dense?
Rick lost his last job over a stupid office pool. He sued UW and the NCAA.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2005-03-07-neuheisel-settlement_x.htm

stoops the eternal pimp
1/21/2008, 04:18 PM
Rick lost his last job over a stupid office pool.

Even worse. He lost the office pool

Flagstaffsooner
1/21/2008, 04:19 PM
That's an interesting thing to consider.

Skippy already nailed the NCAA for some cash, so UCLA will have to be squeaky clean themselves.You know that program will be dirtier than Olevet's underwear with slicky Ricky at the wheel.;)

stoops the eternal pimp
1/21/2008, 04:23 PM
You know that program will be dirtier than Olevet's underwear with slicky Ricky at the wheel.;)

I just threw up in my mouth

OUMedMan
1/21/2008, 09:30 PM
Apparently while Chow has an impressive command of offensive football, his personal interaction is somewhat less than completely impressive. Hence, he keeps getting turned down for HC jobs -- Stanford and UCLA, among others, and occasionally parts under less than completely cordial conditions -- see USC and Tennessee.

It will be interesting to see how well "Slicky Ricky" likes sharing the credit for whatever success UCLA has with Chow.

goingoneight
1/21/2008, 09:47 PM
Is it because I have friends at UCLA or because that GWWDNSO1 is still stuck in my head? For soem reason I like Ookla and what they're doing. Hell, some people dissed on Switzer and Stoops and both are good guys who are guilty of nothing more than winning and being probed by the NCAA like an aggy sheep for doing so. It would be pretty cool to see someone regularly challenge USC for more than just "hey we beat you... like... five years ago."

Anyone know who the DC is gonna be? Arkansas had a pretty good defense for a few years under teh Nuttz, is that guy (ex-piggy DC) still coaching?

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/21/2008, 09:57 PM
PREDICTION: If Neuheisel stays clean, and with the addition of Norm Chow, they will make solid inroads into the suc recruiting juggernaut.(which is what I was hoping Mike Stoops could have done at U of Arizona, and maybe Dennis Erickson can do at ASU, if he stays and doesn't retire anytime soon)

Crucifax Autumn
1/22/2008, 01:00 AM
I hope so, not because of any love of these 2 coaches...can't stand 'em...but because anything that hurts SUC is cool with me.

And yeah..I hope he runs his mouth.

auto
1/22/2008, 10:14 AM
Even worse. He lost the office pool

Even better he beat the Crooks at the NCAA:D

BigRedJed
1/22/2008, 10:19 AM
Like just about everyone, I can't stand Neuheisel, but I will be rooting for those guys to take some air out of SC's balloon.

Curly Bill
1/22/2008, 10:21 AM
Like just about everyone, I can't stand Neuheisel, but I will be rooting for those guys to take some air out of SC's balloon.

I'm not a big fan of the NCAA either, but here's hoping they too take some air out of the USUC balloon.

BillyBall
1/22/2008, 10:33 AM
Its pretty impressive when you narrow down your head coaching job to three candidates and are somehow able to get all three on your coaching staff.

Harry Beanbag
1/22/2008, 05:37 PM
I just threw up in my mouth

Your mouth is still cleaner than Olevet's undies. :)

Tear Down This Wall
1/22/2008, 05:43 PM
Chow's got to be excited to be able to work with a real QB again.