PDA

View Full Version : Home Expresso makin people..

SoonerTerry
1/21/2008, 02:40 PM
Finally broke down and bought me a cheepo expresso maker from wally world.. black and decker.

It works good after I ran about 15 rinses through it.. before that it tasted like metal.

I also picked up a grinder and some expresso beans from Charlie Bean's in mustang.

Right now I'm having a latte that rivals Charlie Bean's and kicks the arse off of Starbucks.

I figure to save about a hundred bucks a month makin my own.

Here's my question.. Is it worth buying a more expensive maker?

GottaHavePride
1/21/2008, 03:35 PM
Finally broke down and bought me a cheepo expresso maker from wally world.. black and decker.

It works good after I ran about 15 rinses through it.. before that it tasted like metal.

I also picked up a grinder and some expresso beans from Charlie Bean's in mustang.

Right now I'm having a latte that rivals Charlie Bean's and kicks the arse off of Starbucks.

I figure to save about a hundred bucks a month makin my own.

What I've learned from the coffee geeks:

If you're actually going to have an espresso drink every single day, figure $5 a day at Starbucks, then in one year you're out $1500. So yeah, buying your own $600 machine makes sense at that point. but you're going to need a good grinder ($150 or so) to appreciate the difference the more expensive machine will make.

IB4OU2
1/21/2008, 03:42 PM
I like a cup of espresso every once and a while...I don't know if buying an expensive machine really matters but the quality of beans definately does.

Hillbilly Expresso Lovers Rawk!

SoonerTerry
1/21/2008, 03:49 PM
Right now I'm only 60 bucks of hardware into it.. Just to try it out you know.

And the beans I have are really good.

tbl
1/21/2008, 03:55 PM
Espresso?

sanantoniosooner
1/21/2008, 03:56 PM
Not being addicted to coffee means I'll have money for that cello much sooner.

tbl
1/21/2008, 03:56 PM
I can't speak to yours personally, but I've had one of the cheaper versions since 1994 and it still works good. As long as you have the attachment to steam milk for cappuccino you should be set.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/21/2008, 04:09 PM
I purchased the Mr Coffee espresso/cappuccino at Wal Mart over Christmas but am yet to use it...still studying up on my recipes...

SoonerTerry
1/21/2008, 04:15 PM
Espresso?

Spell smack.. you got me

SoonerTerry
1/21/2008, 04:20 PM
I purchased the Mr Coffee espresso/cappuccino at Wal Mart over Christmas but am yet to use it...still studying up on my recipes...

Thats the one I got.. Take my word for it, run about 15 cycles through it without coffee, to get the metal flavor out.

This is how I make it..

Grind enough beans to fill the coffee strainer to the top.
Fill glass coffee catcher to the 4 cup line and run it
Steam an equal amount of mild.. steam it untill the consistency changes.
4 liberal tablespoons of high quality vanilla flavoring.

Enjoy

SoonerTerry
1/21/2008, 04:21 PM
Not being addicted to coffee means I'll have money for that cello much sooner.

Best previous post reference EVER!!!!

SPEK!

PhilTLL
1/21/2008, 04:42 PM
Spell smack.. you got me

Spelling and pronunciation smack.

SoonerTerry
1/21/2008, 04:43 PM
yer makin it mighty hard to be ah hillbilly round here

stoops the eternal pimp
1/21/2008, 04:45 PM
Thats the one I got.. Take my word for it, run about 15 cycles through it without coffee, to get the metal flavor out.

This is how I make it..

Grind enough beans to fill the coffee strainer to the top.
Fill glass coffee catcher to the 4 cup line and run it
Steam an equal amount of mild.. steam it untill the consistency changes.
4 liberal tablespoons of high quality vanilla flavoring.

Enjoy

Thanks...I ll give it a go and report back

r5TPsooner
1/21/2008, 05:09 PM
Having lived in the great white north you become somewhat of a coffee snob. This year as a present to one another, the misses and I decided on a new coffee maker. I was hesitant at first but after a month of use, this thing is awesome, and the coffee is pretty good as well. I can also make the kids some hot chocolate in about 15 seconds.

http://www.keurig.com/B70.asp?mscsid=RBTAA5JNLMRF9PU891URG43SB5WUD8VB

SoonerTerry
1/21/2008, 05:24 PM
Very nice r5TP