PDA

View Full Version : *Program Alert* Tonight on the The History Channel-

sooneron
1/21/2008, 09:53 AM
And you guys say nothing good is ever on the teevee.

http://www.history.com/minisites/life_after_people

Interesting subject that is getting press due to a couple of books out and the release of I am Legend (too bad it was sub par).

Oh yeah, I worked on it.
It's nice to proud of one of my projects when it's not just shilling some new product for the masses.
There's a lot of very interesting info in it. I enjoyed being involved in the shooting. Especially, the wild animals on Wall Street.

BigRedJed
1/21/2008, 09:54 AM
So was it a bull or bear day on Wall Street?

sooneron
1/21/2008, 09:56 AM
Same as it is today- Bear

and deer and fox.

jk the sooner fan
1/21/2008, 10:00 AM
i saw the trailer for this 2 weeks ago in a movie theater - ive been waiting for it and the tivo is set

BigRedJed
1/21/2008, 10:01 AM
It does look pretty interesting.

Howzit
1/21/2008, 10:01 AM
I want to see this, but don't know if I can get home by 8:00. sooneron, since you worked on it, could you get them to delay it about a half an hour?

sooneron
1/21/2008, 10:19 AM
Sure, no prob, or you could join us in the 80's and set your vcr!

Howzit
1/21/2008, 10:20 AM
You fell down on the job and neglected to inform us it was on tonight before I left the house, or I would have set my dvr.

sooneron
1/21/2008, 10:31 AM
You fell down on the job and neglected to inform us it was on tonight before I left the house, or I would have set my dvr.
It's the history channel. It will be on eleventy times this week alone. In between shows about Hitler and whatnot.

It will re-air at 1AM EST, fyi

sooneron
1/21/2008, 10:32 AM
And no, I didn't fall down on this job. That happened on the other job.:texan:

soonerinabilene
1/21/2008, 10:41 AM
Shouldnt this be on the future channel?

sooneron
1/21/2008, 10:47 AM
Shouldnt this be on the future channel?
This shall be...

Du

Jour!

Viking Kitten
1/21/2008, 11:45 AM
I saw a promo for that last night and thought it looked interesting. What kind of work did you do on the show, Ron?

sooneron
1/21/2008, 11:47 AM
I saw a promo for that last night and thought it looked interesting. What kind of work did you do on the show, Ron?
UPM or Production Supervisor (if it's not a guild job ;) ) by title and I was 1st Assist Dir. on the shoot days.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/21/2008, 11:49 AM
It's the history channel. It will be on eleventy times this week alone. :D

It will re-air at 1AM EST, fyi

12am CST - TIVO set.

Cool a Sooner on the production...Way to Go Sooneron!

Mjcpr
1/21/2008, 11:51 AM
UPM or Production Supervisor (if it's not a guild job ;) ) by title and I was 1st Assist Dir. on the shoot days.

Did you have some great key grips?

This looks about as depressing as the show that was on last night about the top 7 ways for the world to end and how it would happen. Still looks interesting though. :D

sanantoniosooner
1/21/2008, 11:52 AM
What if I just want to know the specific animal that takes over my house?

Viking Kitten
1/21/2008, 11:53 AM
Ahh... I see. You're one of the guys that sits in the booth and makes fun of the on-air talent. :( ;)

sooneron
1/21/2008, 11:55 AM
Did you have some great key grips?

This looks about as depressing as the show that was on last night about the top 7 ways for the world to end and how it would happen. Still looks interesting though. :D
Actually, I was a key grip for a while. That's hard/fun work. I always had a better time on set when I was involved with camera/lighting.
I don't look at this as too depressing. It's inevitable. They rarely talked about what would cause us to cease to exist. The intersting stuff was about how Manhattan would be reclaimed by nature- pretty damn quickly.

sooneron
1/21/2008, 11:57 AM
Ahh... I see. You're one of the guys that sits in the booth and makes fun of the on-air talent. :( ;)
NO booth, though.:D

sooneron
1/21/2008, 11:58 AM
What if I just want to know the specific animal that takes over my house?
Sea Monkeys, ywia!:texan:

BigRedJed
1/21/2008, 11:59 AM
Those things are deelicious.

Viking Kitten
1/21/2008, 12:05 PM
Actually, I was a key grip for a while. That's hard/fun work. I always had a better time on set when I was involved with camera/lighting.
I don't look at this as too depressing. It's inevitable. They rarely talked about what would cause us to cease to exist. The intersting stuff was about how Manhattan would be reclaimed by nature- pretty damn quickly.

Interestingly, when I saw the promo, it was while I was watching a show about what would do us all in. Apparently, it could be a renegade black hole, or maybe gamma rays from a nearby exploding star. When they got to a Terminator-style take over by artificial intelligence, I was suddenly all "why am I watching this depressing crap?" and turned it over to Rock of Love II.

Viking Kitten
1/21/2008, 12:07 PM
Then suddenly I thought, maybe we should all die.

Viking Kitten
1/21/2008, 12:08 PM
Or at least that nasty French skank Brett Michaels inexplicably didn't boot from the house should die.

jk the sooner fan
1/21/2008, 12:08 PM
Interestingly, when I saw the promo, it was while I was watching a show about what would do us all in. Apparently, it could be a renegade black hole, or maybe gamma rays from a nearby exploding star. When they got to a Terminator-style take over by artificial intelligence, I was suddenly all "why am I watching this depressing crap?" and turned it over to Rock of Love II.

because before you go, you want to know which whore bret michaels is going to choose! :)

Mjcpr
1/21/2008, 12:10 PM

See! That's the show I was talking about.

IB4OU2
1/21/2008, 12:16 PM
See! That's the show I was talking about.

Was it on OETA?

Boomer.....
1/21/2008, 12:19 PM
I saw the preview during before Cloverfield. It looks good and is already scheduled on the DVR.

sooneron
1/21/2008, 04:02 PM
I was pizzed I didn't make the cut for the BTS movie on the website! They were shooting me in all my glory barking out orders on my surveillance headset.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/21/2008, 04:22 PM
Looking forward to seeing it. I usually only watch Gangland but I ll check it out

TheHumanAlphabet
1/21/2008, 04:40 PM

This is why Mrs. THA and I don't watch the news in any form. Too depressing...Occasionaly we watch for the weather and such, but not often. I read, not the urgency, breaking news shi'ite.

Chuck Bao
1/21/2008, 04:50 PM
This is my type of show. But, I prefer the rogue black holes and gamma rays ones.

Anyway, good job, Sooneron.

Newbomb Turk
1/21/2008, 09:12 PM
I am watching your show ron.

this better be good - Catwoman is on AMC.

sooneron
1/21/2008, 10:32 PM
I am watching your show ron.

this better be good - Catwoman is on AMC.
Yikes, that's some competition. I wouldn't call it my show as I am not the Director or Exec Producer, btw. If I was, I would not have hired the corny melodramatic Narrator guy.

OKLA21FAN
1/21/2008, 10:35 PM
Ron, i gave it about an hour and got a bit of tired head.

the premise was interesting though. and the graphics were well done. but well, the good wife wanted to watch Dr Phil and i gave up the remote without a fight.

im sorry, i'll go to confession later this week :pop:

sooneron
1/21/2008, 10:38 PM
Ron, i gave it about an hour and got a bit of tired head.

the premise was interesting though. and the graphics were well done. but well, the good wife wanted to watch Dr Phil and i gave up the remote without a fight.

im sorry, i'll go to confession later this week :pop:
It will be on repeatedly. No biggie. Say five Hail Barrys and rest easy.:D :D

Jeez, I should copyright that one!

jk the sooner fan
1/21/2008, 11:09 PM
i watched it - thought it was great and well done - with one exception

the last 30 minutes - the speculation got a bit on the "wild side"....

there are a couple of other questions i have about the background of the producers and the intent of the show but i'll save that for a PM

VERY well done though

sooneron
1/21/2008, 11:25 PM
Thanks. I enjoyed seeing my name for about 6 frames. I don't have much info on the producers of this show. It was all done over the phone. The call and say, "Hey, you available, you were highly recommended." I say yes and tell them my rate. They then try to talk me down a bit and I end up on the job.

I am glad you enjoyed it. I thought a lot of it was highly informative. I had limited access to the script as I was given what we were shooting in NYC.
The part that I did not know about that blew me away the most was prolly the Egyptian part - they left records of themselves behind the old school way. Here we are, electronically recording our world, and it's not really the best way for eternity's sake.
The other part was the Ukraine. If you had asked me if there would be so much vegetative life around Chernobyl < 22 years later, I would have called BS.

jk the sooner fan
1/21/2008, 11:28 PM
yeah that was all really well done, GREAT graphics, alot of good information

like i said, the last 30 minutes sorta had me rolling my eyes a bit, especially when they went to the chimps

sooneron
1/21/2008, 11:31 PM
yeah that was all really well done, GREAT graphics, alot of good information

like i said, the last 30 minutes sorta had me rolling my eyes a bit, especially when they went to the chimps
I'm a pretty firm believer in parts of evolution, BUT just because something happened once doesn't mean that something sort of like it will happen again. So, in a way, I agree with you. Unless, they were talking planet of the apes- b/c then I would be all over that!:D

jk the sooner fan
1/21/2008, 11:36 PM
yeah that was my thought......"we already evolved from them once"

silverwheels
1/21/2008, 11:44 PM
Yeah, the ending was a little far-fetched, but I liked the show.

BigRedJed
1/22/2008, 12:23 AM
Thanks alot, program ruiners!! I guess I'll just dump it from my DVR now.

Ike
1/22/2008, 12:57 AM
I watched it, but missed the very beginning.

My thoughts:
talking about what happens "hours" and "days" after humans leave is a bit far fetched. In all likelihood, the stuff that require human input on an hourly or daily basis will probably go while there are people still around to witness those things going.

All throughout the thing, I couldn't help but think "If no people are around, why the hell should we care what happens?"

But maybe thats the cynic in me...

There were a lot of neat pictures.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/22/2008, 09:25 AM
Thanks. I enjoyed seeing my name for about 6 frames. I don't have much info on the producers of this show. It was all done over the phone. The call and say, "Hey, you available, you were highly recommended." I say yes and tell them my rate. They then try to talk me down a bit and I end up on the job.

I am glad you enjoyed it. I thought a lot of it was highly informative. I had limited access to the script as I was given what we were shooting in NYC.
The part that I did not know about that blew me away the most was prolly the Egyptian part - they left records of themselves behind the old school way. Here we are, electronically recording our world, and it's not really the best way for eternity's sake.
The other part was the Ukraine. If you had asked me if there would be so much vegetative life around Chernobyl < 22 years later, I would have called BS.

What a minute, I thought you were union and that you worked on scale. Do they allow for negotiation? When my wife played in OKC, she always played for scale.

What was you title so I can look for it when I watch it on TIVO?

sooneron
1/22/2008, 09:28 AM
What a minute, I thought you were union and that you worked on scale. Do they allow for negotiation? When my wife played in OKC, she always played for scale.

What was you title so I can look for it when I watch it on TIVO?
off the books...

;)

And there is a scale, but certain productions (if they prove budget constraints) can negotiate scale or slightly lower. The hall has to approve the rate.

jk the sooner fan
1/22/2008, 09:30 AM
i couldnt help but think the producers of the show wanted us to believe one of two things

a - that as humans, we have a much greater impact on the planet than we realize - "look what happens when we're not here"

b - or that we dont have as much impact as we'd like to think

given the current thought on global warming, my gut tells me choice A is more likely probable than B

sooneron
1/22/2008, 09:37 AM
i couldnt help but think the producers of the show wanted us to believe one of two things

a - that as humans, we have a much greater impact on the planet than we realize - "look what happens when we're not here"

given the current thought on global warming, my gut tells me choice A is more likely probable than B
I think it's sorta both. Maybe they're saying that we can totally pave the earth and **** it up, but the second we're gone (earth time speaking), nature can take it back.

BigRedJed
1/22/2008, 09:41 AM
I'll still watch it. Even though everyone ruined it for me. Maybe tonight after Van Halen. I doubt they'll play past 9 or so. Anything later would be past their bedtime.

jeremy885
1/22/2008, 09:45 AM
I think it's sorta both. Maybe they're saying that we can totally pave the earth and **** it up, but the second we're gone (earth time speaking), nature can take it back.

That's what I thought.

Overall I liked the show, but I thought they skipped a lot of stuff on life after us <5 years to get to the neat CGIs of buildings collapsing.

I thought it was interesting that our radio waves leaving earth turn into background noise after two light years. I guess Contact can't happen now.

sooneron
1/22/2008, 09:49 AM
I'll still watch it. Even though everyone ruined it for me. Maybe tonight after Van Halen. I doubt they'll play past 9 or so. Anything later would be past their bedtime.
I wouldn't consider it ruined for you. The end just has some what ifs. Of course, the whole show is sorta built on that.

jk the sooner fan
1/22/2008, 09:50 AM

dude, its not like a mystery movie

nothing has been spoiled

TheHumanAlphabet
1/22/2008, 09:50 AM

Exactly why I am not hand wringing over "Global Warming". The Earth has been going around and fixing wild runs on either side long before we showed up.

sooneron
1/22/2008, 10:03 AM
Exactly why I am not hand wringing over "Global Warming". The Earth has been going around and fixing wild runs on either side long before we showed up.
Meh, with what we're pouring into the air, we would have to be wiped from the face for the earth to correct the cycle on it's own. I don't want to make this a GW debate, tho.

BRJ- at least we didn't give away what one dude believes will be the last remaining sign of man 10s of thousands of years from now. It's pretty cool, imo.

jk the sooner fan
1/22/2008, 10:04 AM
Meh, with what we're pouring into the air, we would have to be wiped from the face for the earth to correct the cycle on it's own. I don't want to make this a GW debate, tho.

BRJ- at least we didn't give away what one dude believes will be the last remaining sign of man 10s of thousands of years from now. It's pretty cool, imo.

yeah that was pretty neat

TheHumanAlphabet
1/22/2008, 10:07 AM
Same here, didn't mean to go that direction. Just meant to imply the Earth is resilient.

I saw a snipit while surfing, interesting that the Roman concrete is better than our concrete with all our technology. Roman stuff will last longer than our stuff...

BigRedJed
1/22/2008, 10:08 AM
dude, its not like a mystery movie

nothing has been spoiled
I know. Just messing with you guys.

sooneron
1/22/2008, 10:11 AM
I know. Just messing with you guys.
*Sniff

BigRedJed
1/22/2008, 10:12 AM
...BRJ- at least we didn't give away what one dude believes will be the last remaining sign of man 10s of thousands of years from now. It's pretty cool, imo.
Yeah, please don't do that. Without putting much thought in it, I'm gonna guess... ...pyramids in Egypt. Or maybe the Hoover dam, though that seems less likely. Or those crazy islands in Dubai? Hmmm... ...I'll be thinking about this one all day.

jk the sooner fan
1/22/2008, 10:15 AM
the hoover damn lasts longer than most, but it eventually breaks down

you'll be surprised

sooneron
1/22/2008, 10:21 AM

you'll be surprised
Now you're bordering on spoiling!:D

BigRedJed
1/22/2008, 10:21 AM
I got it! The Fock!

sooneron
1/22/2008, 10:24 AM
I got it! The Fock!
Odds are, Billy Sims will be set up in front of whatever is left and seated at a card table ready to sign autographs for 20 bucks!:texan:

OKLA21FAN
1/22/2008, 10:27 AM

you'll be surprised

possible problem with one of the shows premises.

when the dam does fail, the show mentioned that the 'lights of LV would finally be dark'

i always thought the irony of hoover damn, is that it doesn't supply a significant amount of electricity to LV. at least thats what i remember from that damn dam tour i took a couple of years ago.

soonerhubs
1/22/2008, 10:53 AM
Excellent show. My wife was bored after 10 minutes, but I watched the entire thing. I found it fascinating, especially when you look around and see things like Spiro Mounds, Mesa Verde, and Chaco Canyon.
You wonder how much of their stuff was actually reclaimed by nature. After watching that show my guess would be that alot of things disappeared into nature.
Great job Sooneron!

BigRedJed
1/22/2008, 11:43 AM
In keeping with this subject matter, I read a book when I was in high school that fascinated me. In retrospect is was probably junk science, but it pulled together a number of archeological and other mysteries and theroized that the "intellectually developed" human race is actually much older than we currently believe. It suggested that it was possible that humans had once had a technological culture that rivaled what we have today (the book was written before the current tech boom), and possibly even had mastered things like powered flight.

The author suggested that somewhere along the way there had been a cataclysmic event (natural disaster, disease, war, fill in the blank), and had basically been reduced back to the stone age. He believed we as a species had a sort of cultural amnesia.

All of this supposedly happened over a period of thousands or tens of thousands of years, so it wouldn't have been adressed in the fossil record. A mere blip in the lifespan of the planet itself. I guess it's plausible, because so little is known about human history between the time we could be defined as "human" and the time covered by our current written histories.

One thing that really stuck with me: a story that involved the OKC area. Although I was born and grew up in Wichita, my folks were from the OKC metro, my Dad had moved back after he and my mom split, so I visited often, plus my extended family lived down here, so I really considered myself more of a displaced Okie. I really perked up when I read the part that took place here. The author stated that when the Broadway Extension was being built in the 60s, the contractor doing excavations for the 122nd street bridge/ramps found what appeared to be a tiled floor. They halted the excavation temporarily and contacted, I believe, the OU geological survey. If I remember, he quoted an OU professor in the book. They came to the site and really had no explanation for what was there. There appeared to be tiles and grout lines, and lots of right angles, which we've all heard rarely happen in nature. The "floor" was in a layer of sediment that dated well before the generally timeframe for human settlement of the Americas, to the tune of tens of thousands of years. I've never heard anything about it since living here, but was always fascinated by it.

jk the sooner fan
1/22/2008, 12:08 PM
i think a majority of the speculation is based on (or extrapolated) from whats happened to the little town next to Chernobyl - it was evacuated 20 years ago with no return from any people and nature has taken over

i think thats the model for everything else they did in the show

fadada1
1/22/2008, 12:09 PM
Odds are, Billy Sims will be set up in front of whatever is left and seated at a card table ready to sign autographs for 20 bucks!:texan:
and boone pickens will STILL be empty.

i watched the show. pretty interesting. i especially liked the stuff with chernobl (sp). pretty amazing to see what 20 years will do. even with the radiation/contamination in the area, nature still was doing pretty well.

THC has been showing a lot of "doom and gloom" shows lately. the nostradomus one was particularly interesting. the whole thing with 12/21/2012 has me wondering if i want a front row seat for the event - or find a cave with lots of canned ravioli.

the whole "gamma ray burst" thing would be a fun ride.

Viking Kitten
1/22/2008, 01:19 PM
the whole "gamma ray burst" thing would be a fun ride.

Nope. The nearest eligible star is 8,000 light years away, so the explosion itself wouldn't be much. Essentially, we'd all die a slow, tortuous death from radiation poisoning. Basically, it would take about a month for our vital organs to shut down. Oh, and the gamma rays would destroy the atmosphere first, so our skin would slowly fry off too.

The black hole thing might be cool though. If you made it to high ground after the mile-high tides caused by the black hole's gravity covered most of the land on the planet, you'd get stretched to infinity. Just think! I'd finally be skinny!

Stoop Dawg
1/22/2008, 03:35 PM

I'd say your statement is one of two things

a - Correct

b - Incorrect

BigRedJed
1/23/2008, 05:45 PM
Finally got a chance to watch it. Really interesting show.

I guess I was closer with my guesses (Hoover Dam, the pyramids) than you guys wanted to let on. In fact, they suggested the pyramid wouldn't ever go away, just be swallowed by sand, which could of course shift and uncover it again one day.

I'm not sure that I agree about Mount Rushmore, though. They have to provide constant care to that monument, which includes cleaning/caulking cracks and fissures that constantly appear. I remember seeing something once that said if they didn't, noses would be busting off in mere decades. SD is a pretty severe environment, too, especially with ice, etc.

I thought of some other candidates for last on earth, even before watching the show. One is the city of Petra in Jordan. Completely arid environment, and carved out of rock. Maybe not the same hardness as Rushmore, but without the cold/ice expansion problems. But my favorite candidate is this one: the snack bar and bathrooms at the bottom of Carlsbad Caverns. They'll probably be there untouched for millions of years.

BigRedJed
1/23/2008, 05:45 PM
That's purdy.

jk the sooner fan
1/23/2008, 06:05 PM
what did you think about the last half hour?

Viking Kitten
1/23/2008, 06:25 PM
Interesting show, from my M-TV generation perspective it, just went on too long. Definitely could have been edited down to an hour. The expert's soundbites were a little too repetitive. The b-roll was also very repetitive, for example, they showed the Space Needle coming down from three different angles. Yeah, the Space Needle is going to fall. I get it.

I agree the narration was a little heavy-handed.

Content was very good, I liked that it was speculative in nature. Gives you something to mull over and argue about.

And wonderful production values, especially the NY parts. :-D Seriously, visually it looked great.

BigRedJed
1/23/2008, 06:25 PM
what did you think about the last half hour?
I guess I didn't notice that much of a difference from one part to the other, other than that's obviously when they mentioned the idea of "who's next?" and talked in general about biological adaptation/natural selection, but that seemed pretty standard for a show looking at things from a purely scientific point of view.

I didn't get the impression the producers had a particular agenda; they were just working within the commonly-held framework that most scientists/biologists work within.

But if you're suggesting that watching the show probably brings up a number of metaphysical/theological questions and objections depending on a person's belief system, then I agree.

birddog
1/23/2008, 08:38 PM
that london chick is the cats pajamas.

i'd like to make her a nice cup of jesus juice.

birddog
1/23/2008, 08:46 PM
^^wtf is that? i need to lay off the sauce n pills. i was going for the idol thread.