PDA

View Full Version : Is 2008 a rebuilding year?

goingoneight
1/21/2008, 02:20 AM
Obviously, nothing is a given in the world of college football. That's what makes it the spectacle it is, that's why it boasts some of the best TV ratings out there and that's why a good team can draw the interest of an entire state's football fans to one stadium.

What do we know about 2008 for Oklahoma right now? We know Bob Stoops is 5-1 in conference title games, has a prestigious National Championship trophy and a record of doing great things every season at OU. We also know that a year has not started this badly since January 2005; and boy, oh boy was that a LONNNNNNG year. Thankfully, there's no Vince Young at Texas, no "greatest team ever," no Tommie Frazier at Nebraska, etc. to make matters worse.

When I say things started badly, work with me here. Obviousy things could be worse. We're signing a great recruiting class that anyone else in the country would be thrilled to have. Put a golden dome or a Trojan on these kids' helmets and people would call it the best recruiting class out there. 2008's second day was a poisonous day for Sooner faithful. Not only did the team implode on the field, they lost serious playmakers early to the NFL draft.

What I'm getting to is this. Bob Stoops may not have to pull his third string quarterback under center and fight screw jobs from PAC 10 and Texas homer officiating crews this year, but he's faced with a challenge he's usually best at. That challenge, coaching with his back against the wall.

Last month I looked at the tentative schedule for Stoops' 2008 campaign. I didn't see Miami, LSU, USC or Ohio State... hell I didn't even see Notre Dame. What I did see is right off the bat, we host a team that finished on the DEAD run last year in Cincinatti. Not the Bengals, duh... but if you know anythign about these guys, you'll know they don't exactly look like the cakewalk North Texas was and they're not spiraling downward like Miami was in '06 leading up to their beating in Norman 2007. Follow the Cincinatti game up with a program whom you never know what you're going to get from in TCU. Did I mention there's another road game to PAC 10 country on there?

Before anyone thinks I'm predicting the sky to fall and all hell to break loose, hear me out.

Curtis Lofton is an All-American. Reggie Smith was OUr best corner. Add insult to injury, we graduated OUr second-best corner. Malcom Kelly, we all know would start and feature ANYWHERE in the country next year... but guess what... he's gone too. Best wishes to all OUr early-entries and graduating seniors FWIW.

We ridiculed... RIDICULED Texas for losing all of their players they lost in 2006. We said no way they'd have a chance to win it all. But what did the media do? They hype, and hyped and hyped and HYPED the 2007 Longhorns. See a pattern here? Record-setting sophomore quarterback doesn't mean you'll storm the national scene. Hell, a Heisman candidate doesn't exactly mean you'll win a game. See: Michigan versus Appalachan State 2007 or OU versus TCU 2005.

The bad thing about the Fiesta Bowl is that it isn't one of those losses that makes a team hungry for more ala 2007's Boise State game. It was one of those games that makes you think somethign's wrong and will be wrong for awhile. Look no further than the 2005 year as a whole. Paul Thompson was a good quarterback, AD was a great running back, OU had a decent defense, OU had great receivers. Yet up to the end of the year, any Baylor or Tulsa could take us down to the wire. Bad mojo, mixed with rebuilding, mixed with hot-shot recruits flooding campus mixed with just the right opponent spells disaster. We're not immune to it, neither is Texas for that matter. Their first decent opponent (power conference opponent) blew them out on their home field. I haven't seen a Texas team look that consistently pathetic since Mackovic. They turned it around and made a nice season out of it, much like we did in 2005.

What I'm saying is... this next season will no doubt be fun and draw lots of attention as all of Stoops's years have so far... but will this be a "nice" season or a surprise season ala 2000 or 2006?

My prediction: the offense MUST carry the defense through the OOC schedule that wil likely have a few "scares" if not a defeat before the defense catches it's breath right around time for the Cotton Bowl in Dallas. Not saying it will happen, but we could eek by a pathetic Chatanooga team and continue stride, as long as you win, you climb up the polls. For those who think it's impossible to predict, look at how we played against UAB in 2006 and how Texas opened against Arkansas-State in 2007.

After the RRS in Dallas, we should start seeing the true value of this team like we did in 2006 and 2007.

Before yuou go all homer on me, realize what one key injury can do to a football team. Look at the difference between the OU team that went to OT versus Baylor and how much better they were when AD returned. Look at how sometimes guys hit a slump ala DJ Wolfe's corner experiment in 2006. Look at what happened when Jason White blew out his knee against Nebraska. Look at what happens when kids do stupid things like shoplifting, failing classes and takign money from boosters. Nothing is predictable in college football, but I feel we still have one of the best coaching staffs out there for making ends meet when the going gets tough.

Crucifax Autumn
1/21/2008, 02:33 AM
Nah...If it is a rebuilding year it'll be a rebuilding like this year where we win the conference and go to a BCS game...If it's not we'll be in the title game and finally break our slump thanks to what seems to be a hungrier bunch of players.

Octavian
1/21/2008, 02:51 AM
Hopefully not.

The '05 squad won 8 (9) games with a freshman QB, a bunch of underclassmen WRs and RBs, and a patchwork OL.

The '08 squad should combine talent and experience. Bradord, a veteran OL, an experienced group of RBs and WRs...plus Gresham. The D looks more questionable but its a good bet that Bob and BV will field a pretty good defense.

There's some holes to fill and the schedule gets tougher....also need Murray and Brown to be healthy. But if we go 8-4 or 9-3.....that'd be very disappointing considering our potential.

effay
1/21/2008, 03:16 AM
I'd say 2008 is our shot at the NC. All we need are a few guys to step up in the secondary, at WR, and at LB.

2009 is the rebuilding year:

-We loose the entire O-line
-We loose Iglesias & Johnson
-We loose Nic & Lendy
-We could loose Granger & Gresham

That's a loss of 9-11 starters (possibly 12 if Mike Reed starts).

We also loose some good backups in Chaney & Bennett.

It will be interesting to see what our team looks like in 2009.

MamaMia
1/21/2008, 07:52 AM
During a press conference, our coach at the time, Mr. Barry Switzer, was asked if the following year would be a rebuilding year for the Sooners. The Kings reply..."Here at OU, we don't rebuild; we reload."

XingTheRubicon
1/21/2008, 08:15 AM
Dean will tell us about 6 games in.

stoopified
1/21/2008, 10:22 AM
No.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
1/21/2008, 11:11 AM
I could see how you could make a case for it being a rebuilding year for the defense because of the questions in the defense...particularly minus Lofton and Smith. On the other hand we return more starters on defense next year than most teams do.

IMO though I think rebuilding is more often tied to the Qb or the O-line. Virutally the entire offense is back, including the O-line.

It may be that the defense gives up more points next year and there is a potential that we get in more shootouts. In no way do I see next year as a rebuilding year. In fact it would appear that we would have a real good shot at the NC next year.

If anything 2009 would be a rebuilding year.

adoniijahsooner
1/21/2008, 11:28 AM
I'd say 2008 is our shot at the NC. All we need are a few guys to step up in the secondary, at WR, and at LB.

2009 is the rebuilding year:

-We loose the entire O-line
-We loose Iglesias & Johnson
-We loose Nic & Lendy
-We could loose Granger & Gresham

That's a loss of 9-11 starters (possibly 12 if Mike Reed starts).

We also loose some good backups in Chaney & Bennett.

It will be interesting to see what our team looks like in 2009.

For some reason i thnk that 09 will be better than next year by far. Sam bradford will be a 3 year starter, and unlike Colt, Sam is deadly accurate with the football. We have recievers and runningbacks in this class who will see the field next year, there is no fear.

sooneron
1/21/2008, 11:29 AM
If 2008 is rebuilding, I can't wait to see a year where we are loaded and without question marks going in!

Defensively, we are good on the line and we have some experience in the secondary. The following guys have some game experience and will be on the roster- Holmes, Harris, Franks, Clayton, Jackson, Carter, Bowers (? or was it only STs?)I may be missing one or two. It helps that some of the guys have at least set foot on the field.

LB is the big question mark, as the unit did not perform well this year and the only player with his **** wrapped tight just left. I think with the JC addition and some re-arranging, we'll be no worse next year. Maybe they'll be better next year as a team when they aren't so reliant upon Curtis.

Collier11
1/21/2008, 11:32 AM
This year was a so-called rebuilding year, 08 should be another run at the Conf title with a chance at the Natl title if we get all the breaks that we didnt get this year. Remember last year or the year before tosu replaced their entire defense and were still pretty good. There is no reason why we cant do that

sooneron
1/21/2008, 11:36 AM
For some reason i thnk that 09 will be better than next year by far. Sam bradford will be a 3 year starter, and unlike Colt, Sam is deadly accurate with the football. We have recievers and runningbacks in this class who will see the field next year, there is no fear.
YOu don't lose your entire Oline and just keep firing. That is a huge reason why McCoy's performance was worse this year- your accuracy is GREATLY affected by how much time you have to throw the ball. The thing that keeps us slightly ahead of where texas was this year, is that we will (barring any injuries or DM leaving early after his Soph year) have a better backfield in 09. The staff is really going to have to platoon the younger Olinemen this year so we aren't green going into 09.

sooneron
1/21/2008, 11:39 AM
This year was a so-called rebuilding year, 08 should be another run at the Conf title with a chance at the Natl title if we get all the breaks that we didnt get this year. Remember last year or the year before tosu replaced their entire defense and were still pretty good. There is no reason why we cant do that
Yeah, that was last year I think. Luckily for them though, they didn't have any decent offenses on the sched. Next year we play 5 teams that ranked in the top 20 offensively. Which is better than 6 in 07. Of course, I expect NU to drop off that list.
We should compete for the big 12 title with heat coming from teck and UTerus.

Collier11
1/21/2008, 11:47 AM
YOu don't lose your entire Oline and just keep firing. That is a huge reason why McCoy's performance was worse this year- your accuracy is GREATLY affected by how much time you have to throw the ball. The thing that keeps us slightly ahead of where texas was this year, is that we will (barring any injuries or DM leaving early after his Soph year) have a better backfield in 09. The staff is really going to have to platoon the younger Olinemen this year so we aren't green going into 09.

We do have recent history to go off of though in 05' and 06' and in hindsight, if we had a settled qb it may not have been bad.

In 05' we had two new receivers, a new TE, a new qb(twice), and most of our o-lineman were new. That year we lost 4 games but 2 of the games were by a total of 9 pts and Ucla we had momentum til the called back INT. All that with average qb play, if we had a solid qb we beat TT and TCU and possibly beat ucla. Then all the sudden we are 10-2 or 11-1

06' we have a brand new qb again who just switched from wr. Granted he played very well but if he had gotten to start all of 05' he may have been much better. That could have been the difference in all three of our losses.

Im not saying we go 13-0 each season but it really might have changed things

Collier11
1/21/2008, 11:51 AM

True, but we will have Brandon, Simmons, Hughey and Williams who have all started or played as Seniors or Juniors. When you figure in the redshirts and big-time recruits this year with possible Jucos, I think we will be in alot better shape than we were in 05'

insuranceman_22
1/21/2008, 12:20 PM
Hell no it's not a rebuilding year, by all accounts we should be better than the 07 season (barring injury and ignorance). Offensively this team may be a juggernaut! Defensively we'll be good. The front level is going to be solid. Second level is a question.....LB's? Who plays where? The third level is a question to a degree, but there is some experience and a lot of talent there. Special teams will be a question, Hartley is gone, Stevens & Way can battle there. Bob Stoops is still here and that's a big plus. We'll be very good next season, should be the favorite for the conference & the BCS bid. We have a true chance to go for the MNC game. I drink the Sooner cool aid, but I also see a team loaded with talent that has more returning starters & quality reserves than almost anybody else in the country. Plus we have Bob Stoops!

CatfishSooner
1/21/2008, 01:01 PM
good thread...

I think we are gonna win it all next year...

Soonerfan1993
1/21/2008, 01:16 PM
2008 is a year where OU will be projected to win the big 12 South for the 3rd straight season, 7th time in 9 years this decade and the Big 12 championship for the 3rd straight year, and 6th time in 9 years this decade.

Where do you get rebuilding year?

They will also be projected by several media publications/channels(ESPN) etc to play for it all.

2009 will be a year where OU won't be projected to do either, but I find it hard to believe OU's 2009 season will turn out like 2005 did.

I don't think there will be a runaway favorite in the Big 12 South or the Big 12 title!

Texas won't be a preseason #2 favorite to win it all. They most likely won't be playing in a bcs bowl in 2008 either like they did in 2004 and our talent level should be quite a bit better in 2009 then 2005 even with a bunch of new starters.

I could see OU in 2009 being very similar to what TOSU did in 2007 hopefully with a better ending!

Soonerfan1993
1/21/2008, 01:25 PM
True, but we will have Brandon, Simmons, Hughey and Williams who have all started or played as Seniors or Juniors. When you figure in the redshirts and big-time recruits this year with possible Jucos, I think we will be in alot better shape than we were in 05'

Hate to break it to you but Hughey won't be the center. He is a walkon and only listed 2nd team so Jason Hannan could redshirt.

It will be either in 2009 a RSo Jason Hannan(was the #1 center in the country his sr year by rivals) or a RFr Ben Habern(was the #3 center in the country his sr year by rivals.

2009 Starting Offensive Line!
LT RJr Corey Brandon
LG RSr Trent Williams
C RSo Jason Hannan, RFr Ben Habern
RG RSr Brian Simmons #2 Prep School Player in the country in 2005
RT RFr Stephen Good(One of the top OT's in the country 5 star, one of the top 3 players in Texas and one of the top 30 hs kids in the nation rankings all by rivals).

Breadburner
1/21/2008, 01:30 PM
No.

+1

Collier11
1/21/2008, 01:31 PM
I never said he would start, I was just saying that we will have guys coming back with experience that year

Soonerfan1993
1/21/2008, 01:39 PM
Hopefully not.

The '05 squad won 8 (9) games with a freshman QB, a bunch of underclassmen WRs and RBs, and a patchwork OL.

The '08 squad should combine talent and experience. Bradord, a veteran OL, an experienced group of RBs and WRs...plus Gresham. The D looks more questionable but its a good bet that Bob and BV will field a pretty good defense.

There's some holes to fill and the schedule gets tougher....also need Murray and Brown to be healthy. But if we go 8-4 or 9-3.....that'd be very disappointing considering our potential.

I don't see any comparison with that awful 2005 squad!
OU could of easily lost 2 or 3 others that season that were in the win collum Baylor in Double OT, Tulsa where it was 17-15 OU late 4th quarter, A&M where we held them off 36-30 and A&M missed atleast 2 field goals in it. Even Nebraska in Lincoln after we went up 21-3 we had to hold them off.

Heck even Oregon we had to fight for it! Yes I know Oregon was a very good team just saying that OU could of easily lost atleast 2 more that year.

Also I agree, We have the Top WR class a season ahead, we have excellent oline talent that will start in 2009, unlike in 2005 where we had to play our RG out of position at LT, our starting center was a converted 3 Star TE(Chris Bush), our starting LG was a 2 star recruit, and our starting RT was a year behind being ready to make a big impact and was a former HS QB.

We won't have to start any true fr on the oline in 2009, and won't really have to play any true fr on the oline in 2009. We also won't have to start any true fr in the secondary i.e. bust central.

LT RJr Corey Brandon
LT RSo Donald Stephenson

LG Sr Trent Williams
LG RSo Kody Cooke

C RSo Jason Hannan
C RFr Ben Habern

RG RSr Brian Simmons
RG RFr Britt Mitchell

RT RFr Stephen Good
RT RSo Alex Williams

Collier11
1/21/2008, 01:47 PM
I don't see any comparison with that awful 2005 squad!
OU could of easily lost 2 or 3 others that season that were in the win collum Baylor in Double OT, Tulsa where it was 17-15 OU late 4th quarter, A&M where we held them off 36-30 and A&M missed atleast 2 field goals in it. Even Nebraska in Lincoln after we went up 21-3 we had to hold them off.

Heck even Oregon we had to fight for it! Yes I know Oregon was a very good team just saying that OU could of easily lost atleast 2 more that year.

Also I agree, We have the Top WR class a season ahead, we have excellent oline talent that will start in 2009, unlike in 2005 where we had to play our RG out of position at LT, our starting center was a converted 3 Star TE(Chris Bush), our starting LG was a 2 star recruit, and our starting RT was a year behind being ready to make a big impact and was a former HS QB.

We won't have to start any true fr on the oline in 2009, and won't really have to play any true fr on the oline in 2009. We also won't have to start any true fr in the secondary i.e. bust central.

LT RJr Corey Brandon
LT RSo Donald Stephenson

LG Sr Trent Williams
LG RSo Kody Cooke

C RSo Jason Hannan
C RFr Ben Habern

RG RSr Brian Simmons
RG RFr Britt Mitchell

RT RFr Stephen Good
RT RSo Alex Williams

we didnt play oregon that year we played ucla, and the point that is being made is that even with a really young line, a new qb, and new wr's we won 8 and almost won 10 or 11. 09' we will have SB as a junior and atleast 3 experienced OL if not more depending on Juco recruiting. We will be fine in 09'

Soonerfan1993
1/21/2008, 02:32 PM
We played Oregon in the bowl game!

Agreed on we will be quite a bit better in 2009 then 2005!

TXBOOMER
1/21/2008, 04:54 PM
We'll have more than half of the starters back. We may struggle a bit on D, but the O should be high powered. It'll be exciting to see what happens, but I would not consider it a rebuild. 2009 is a different story.

LittleWingSooner
1/21/2008, 05:30 PM
We have one of the best offenses in the nation returning and a lot of both lines returning. When you have great line play you'll win a lot of games.

I think after we lose English and Granger and our offensive linemen we'll be in a bit of a rebuilding mode but next year we should be a top 2 or 3 type team.

Collier11
1/21/2008, 05:37 PM
We have one of the best offenses in the nation returning and a lot of both lines returning. When you have great line play you'll win a lot of games.

I think after we lose English and Granger and our offensive linemen we'll be in a bit of a rebuilding mode but next year we should be a top 2 or 3 type team.

As long as Stoops quits...Right?! :rolleyes:

JLEW1818
1/21/2008, 05:54 PM
Some of ya'll act like we are the only team that will graduate players. Remember every team loses players every year, not just us. Just throwing that out there.

LittleWingSooner
1/21/2008, 06:05 PM
As long as Stoops quits...Right?! :rolleyes:

Honestly Stoops could be a weakness last year. He's having a hard time getting his teams to play in these major bowl games. But we should be favored to win every game next year.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
1/21/2008, 06:56 PM
2005 was more a result of our crazy attrition rate than anything - all the guys in the 2001 class that played as TR FR, 10 in the 2003 class, like 14 or 15 in the 2002 class.

as our attrition has gone down we have seen the ability to replace starters with players who are at the least solid enough to win 10 games. linebacker and secondary continue to worry me as we still hemorrhage guys there.

KC//CRIMSON
1/21/2008, 08:46 PM
10-2

goingoneight
1/21/2008, 10:07 PM
"rebuilding" doesn't always mean you sacrifice 4-5 games and win a toilet bowl for a consolation prize. Ohio State did a lot of "rebuilding" this past year and snuck their way into the MNC Game. Granted, neither of the teams deserved to be there this year and LSU got a free cookie playing on their home field, but the if the cards fall your way and you do enough (usually lose one game or none at all) you get the ticket.

I'll put it this way, if we look sluggish but pull it all together and finish 12-2, BIG 12 Champions with a dominant win in the CCG, the only way we don't get in the big show is if there are undefeateds to go ahead of us or media darlings like we saw this year which was just a coin toss for the BCS voters.

I'm concerned about how OUr pass rush is inconsistent and the fact that they're the only thing we KNOW will be back. OUR LB corps and OUr secondary has some holes to fill. And when you play todays spread offenses, you can't afford having a bunch of n00bs running around like decapitated chickens. We need surpruise contributors like we got out of DJW and Lofton this year. Guys who people scoff at or throw in the towel as soon as they hear "that guy" is starting who step up and have great seasons. Jason White's 2003 season comes to mind, as does OUr many JUCO success stories.

Curly Bill
1/21/2008, 11:18 PM
We may struggle a bit on D,

This would be more of a repeat then a rebuild. ;) ;)

KantoSooner
1/21/2008, 11:22 PM
Me? I'm just drooling thinking of the options that will be opened by having Calhoun and Murray in the same backfield. Almost makes you want to run the 'bone again......And then pull up and dump it downfield to <insert name of WR>.
I'm psyched already.

When does spring practice start?

CatfishSooner
1/21/2008, 11:28 PM
...in the spring...

sooneron
1/21/2008, 11:45 PM
...in the spring...
...technically, it's still Winter...

I would guess VERY Early March.

Collier11
1/22/2008, 12:07 AM
Me? I'm just drooling thinking of the options that will be opened by having Calhoun and Murray in the same backfield. Almost makes you want to run the 'bone again......And then pull up and dump it downfield to <insert name of WR>.
I'm psyched already.

When does spring practice start?

if KW and BS will open up the playcalling a little then yea?

Crucifax Autumn
1/22/2008, 12:56 AM
I'm gonna make the bold prediction that they will open the playbook, try some new things and in the meantime Bob will take a VERY active role on defense.

Collier11
1/22/2008, 03:04 AM
I'm gonna make the bold prediction that they will open the playbook, try some new things and in the meantime Bob will take a VERY active role on defense.

Ive been saying since the end of the Fiesta Bowl that Bob may take over main playcalling on D even if he doesnt announce it publicly, I hope this works.

sooneron
1/22/2008, 10:37 AM
We do have recent history to go off of though in 05' and 06' and in hindsight, if we had a settled qb it may not have been bad.

In 05' we had two new receivers, a new TE, a new qb(twice), and most of our o-lineman were new. That year we lost 4 games but 2 of the games were by a total of 9 pts and Ucla we had momentum til the called back INT. All that with average qb play, if we had a solid qb we beat TT and TCU and possibly beat ucla. Then all the sudden we are 10-2 or 11-1

06' we have a brand new qb again who just switched from wr. Granted he played very well but if he had gotten to start all of 05' he may have been much better. That could have been the difference in all three of our losses.

Im not saying we go 13-0 each season but it really might have changed things
I believe we returned 4-5 Olinemen with some sort of experience. I'm not thinking of Millington or the other dude either-

Chris Bush, Chris Messner (maybe played a little in 04?), Brett Rayl, Davin Joseph, & Kelvin Chaisson.

Desert Sapper
1/22/2008, 02:59 PM
Everybody's lauding Jermie Calhoun, but Justin Johnson may be even better. And does nobody remember Mossis Madu? That cat has some skillz, too. With the way we are finally finding a way to hang on to O-Linemen, I think we should be okay for 2009. 2008, we should be highly competitive. Hopefully in the late running for a slot in the Orange Bowl MNC.

The_Red_Patriot
1/22/2008, 03:25 PM
We just had our rebuilding year.

cvsooner
1/22/2008, 03:37 PM
In college ball, EVERY year is a rebuilding year...just some years more than others.

insuranceman_22
1/23/2008, 02:19 AM

fingers crossed for that!

Crucifax Autumn
1/23/2008, 02:23 AM
Mine too...So I can dredge up this old *** thread next season and say something to the effect that I'm right, always right, and everyone shoulda listened instead of making fun of me!

Heh!

insuranceman_22
1/23/2008, 02:25 AM
I got your back on this one

Crucifax Autumn
1/23/2008, 02:33 AM
Seriously though, I just try to hope for the best from my Sooners rather than be swallowed up by negative thinking and doomsaying.

OU_Sooners75
1/23/2008, 04:35 AM
No this is not a rebuilding year.

In fact, a lot of people thought, including myself, that 2008 would be the year OU would win #8.

I am not sure that 2008 is going to be that year, because we lost some key players. But we are gaining some players that can come in and start right away. Just think of it this way goingoneight...

OU returns all their OL, something Texas did not do after the 2006 season. OU still returns one of the best, if not the best, WR corps in the nation. OU returns one of college football's best Tight Ends. We also return a very dangerous and talented backfield. Which will be boosted by the return of DeMarco.

OUr defense will have some serious question marks, but I think BV and Stoops is getting some of those filled, especially since we just landed David Sims.

OUr Special teams should be much improved next season.

Yes we lost 3 valuable but very replaceable Juniors from the 2007 team. They will be missed and I wish them well at the next level, but it is not like we do not have the talent or the speed from recruits that are now, or will be, with the team.

In 2008, OU will be vying for another conference title. And if all goes well and these kids are hungry, we might also be playing for a BCS Title.

Crucifax Autumn
1/23/2008, 07:02 AM
Hopefully those guys that split left because they feared they wouldn't be starters with all the incoming talent! lmao

LittleWingSooner
1/23/2008, 05:10 PM
How can we open the playbook more? We have a pretty solid play book. Maybe a bit predictable but no one can really stop it if we execute well. I think the only thing we have to worry about on offense is if anyone is lazy really. That was probably our only problem on offense this year. If you think our offense is stale really watch one of the games from the 70s or 80s with OU. I love the bone but it can be a real boring offense.

Collier11
1/23/2008, 05:19 PM
How can we open the playbook more? We have a pretty solid play book. Maybe a bit predictable but no one can really stop it if we execute well. I think the only thing we have to worry about on offense is if anyone is lazy really. That was probably our only problem on offense this year. If you think our offense is stale really watch one of the games from the 70s or 80s with OU. I love the bone but it can be a real boring offense.

we have a NFL playbook in CFB...how can we open it up, well when we play teams of equal or greater talent we cant just run over them like most of the other games, we need more creativity(not necessarily trick plays) and we need better play call timing

JLEW1818
1/23/2008, 08:19 PM
I think we go for the big hit to much. Just need to rap up. Easier said then done.

RedstickSooner
1/23/2008, 09:37 PM
If 2008 is a rebuilding year, then it's pointless -- we'll never get "built" if this ends up a rebuilding year.

After the string of bowl disappointments we've suffered, I'm no longer going to be either optimistic, or charged up about any of our seasons. I'm simply going to watch the games, root for the team, and enjoy college football.

I'm through with getting my hopes up. The one thing Stoops seems to do consistently is to *not* do whatever is expected of him. If I think we're going to have a horrible year, like when we pull ENA from wideout back to QB, we do great. When we're insanely loaded with talent, have nearly everyone healthy, and are playing in one of our favorite bowls, we lose 55-19.

So. No more expectations. I'm just gonna do the Zen thing, and take it as it comes. I won't label seasons as anything anymore.

goingoneight
1/23/2008, 10:52 PM
we have a NFL playbook in CFB...how can we open it up, well when we play teams of equal or greater talent we cant just run over them like most of the other games, we need more creativity(not necessarily trick plays) and we need better play call timing

Well... to be fair, only one of OUr BCS games was lost because of bone-headed playcalling. The rest were lost because turnovers, penalties and sloppy defense boned us more than the opponent did. The thing I noticed about OUr most recent bowl game opponents is how they didn't have even half of the penalties or any attitude problems like we've shown when we're down.