PDA

View Full Version : Van Halen

Petro-Sooner
1/20/2008, 08:33 PM
Tuesday. whos going?

sanantoniosooner
1/20/2008, 08:34 PM
I'm skipping Tuesday and going straight to Wednesday.

Petro-Sooner
1/20/2008, 08:38 PM
Well....thats like your opinion man....

;)

StoopTroup
1/20/2008, 08:41 PM
I am and always will be a VH fan.

However...I can't stand how some of these great bands let their problems with each other get in the way of bringing entertainment to me.

Their drama = my yawns.

BTW...have they been getting decent reviews with this tour?

Petro-Sooner
1/20/2008, 08:48 PM
They "say" its the show to see right now. :rolleyes: But this may be my only time to see them so I figured why not. I'll report back.

I dont think anything will compare to the Motley Crue show that came to town a few years back. I"m being serious. That was a hell of a show.

StoopTroup
1/20/2008, 08:50 PM
Thanks.

Have a good time.

critical_phil
1/20/2008, 08:59 PM
van halen isn't van halen without michael anthony.

there, i said it. so i'll just be happy enough to live in the past.

OUDoc
1/21/2008, 09:18 AM
I wanted to go, I planned on going, but my babysitters (the grandparents) had to back out at the last minute. I wish I was going.

BigRedJed
1/21/2008, 09:43 AM
I was excited about it. Until I saw some YouTube vids of the show. DLR is tottering around like a little old man. In snakeskin pants. They sounded OK, but I'm feeling pretty "meh" after seeing the vids.

Sorta reminds me of the Police show I saw last year. Technically excellent, but with absolutely no spark. When guys who don't like each other tour just for the payday, I don't care how dead-on you sound, it's going to ring hollow. I'm guessing the Michael Anthony departure only adds to that. You forget how much his vocals added to the sound.

And for the record, I am strictly a DLR Van Halen fan. Van Hagar can suck my Cabo Wabo.

Partial Qualifier
1/21/2008, 09:44 AM
C'mon, Doc! David Lee Roth's gonna belt you in the head with a half-empty bottle of Jack Daniels when he finds out you couldn't make it because of babysitter probs.

Partial Qualifier
1/21/2008, 09:45 AM
And for the record, I am strictly a DLR Van Halen fan. Van Hagar can suck my Cabo Wabo.

Word.

OUDoc
1/21/2008, 10:04 AM
C'mon, Doc! David Lee Roth's gonna belt you in the head with a half-empty bottle of Jack Daniels when he finds out you couldn't make it because of babysitter probs.
Unless I can take my kids, it can't be done. :(

BigRedJed
1/21/2008, 10:05 AM
I'd go ahead and take them. Based on what I saw on YouTube, they'd probably sleep right through it.

Sooner_Bob
1/21/2008, 10:16 AM
I am strictly a DLR Van Halen fan. Van Hagar can suck my Cabo Wabo.

Why can't you drive 55?

BigRedJed
1/21/2008, 10:20 AM
I didn't say that I didn't like pre-VH Sammy. I said that I don't (didn't) like Van Hagar.

Sooner_Bob
1/21/2008, 10:22 AM
So there's not only one way to rock?

BigRedJed
1/21/2008, 10:27 AM
Well, apparently there was only one way for Sammy. And it didn't involve Van Halen.

Taxman71
1/21/2008, 11:23 AM
I'll be there for 2 reasons:

1. Never seen DLR with VH (only Sammy due to age)
2. Best setlist possible for VH.

The guys are older, but not old (think Rolling Stones old). Should be a great show.

The crappiest part is the joke of an opening act. I may not even enter the Ford Center until after 8:00 or 8:30.

DoubleDown
1/21/2008, 12:15 PM
I'll be there for 2 reasons:

1. Never seen DLR with VH (only Sammy due to age)
2. Best setlist possible for VH.

The guys are older, but not old (think Rolling Stones old). Should be a great show.

The crappiest part is the joke of an opening act. I may not even enter the Ford Center until after 8:00 or 8:30.

Who is the opening act?

I'll be there and cannot wait. I saw them back in 1984 (and a couple of other times with Hagar) and have been waiting for Roth to rejoin the boys ever since. It does suck that MA won't be onstage, but I'll take the trade of Roth for Anthony anytime.

BigRedJed
1/21/2008, 12:29 PM
Apparently, here's a recent set list, FWIW:

You Really Got Me
I'm the One
Running With the Devil
Romeo Delight
Somebody Get Me a Doctor
Beautiful Girls
Dance the Night Away
Atomic Punk
Everybody Wants Some
So This is Love?
Mean Street
Pretty Woman
Unchained
I'll Wait
And the Cradle Will Rock
Hot for Teacher
Little Dreamer
Little Guitars
Jamie's Cryin'
Ice Cream Man
Panama
Eruption
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Jump

King Crimson
1/21/2008, 12:31 PM
i have a buddy who saw them in Vegas. said it was a good show.

i wouldn't pay to go, probably. but, he said it was a good show.

r5TPsooner
1/21/2008, 01:28 PM
Apparently, here's a recent set list, FWIW:

You Really Got Me
I'm the One
Running With the Devil
Romeo Delight
Somebody Get Me a Doctor
Beautiful Girls
Dance the Night Away
Atomic Punk
Everybody Wants Some
So This is Love?
Mean Street
Pretty Woman
Unchained
I'll Wait
And the Cradle Will Rock
Hot for Teacher
Little Dreamer
Little Guitars
Jamie's Cryin'
Ice Cream Man
Panama
Eruption
Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
Jump

If that's the list they play I'd be buying a ticket to hear seven songs because the rest are meh.

I'm glad that I passed on this concert.

sanantoniosooner
1/21/2008, 01:47 PM
If that's the list they play I'd be buying a ticket to hear seven songs because the rest are meh.

I'm glad that I passed on this concert.
I'm not even what you'd call a VH fan, but I can see more than 7 songs on that list I'd be interested in seeing.

IB4OU2
1/21/2008, 01:52 PM
It's kinda hard to "Jump" in a rocking chair.

Taxman71
1/21/2008, 01:53 PM
Who is the opening act?

I'll be there and cannot wait. I saw them back in 1984 (and a couple of other times with Hagar) and have been waiting for Roth to rejoin the boys ever since. It does suck that MA won't be onstage, but I'll take the trade of Roth for Anthony anytime.

Opening act is Ky-Mani Marley...rap/reggae something or nother. I think he is one of Eddie's buddies in the pron industry.

As for the setlist, I can't imagine a better one for a class VH fan. I made a CD of that list and have been listening to it for a while to get ready for the show. I do wish a few songs would have made the cut though (Where Have All The Good Times Gone, DOA).

OUDoc
1/21/2008, 02:15 PM
Looks like a great set to me.

I don't care that they're old, so am I. I'd pay to see DLR and EVH on stage together again any day, my plans just got screwed up for that day.

BigRedJed
1/21/2008, 05:14 PM
Well, apparently I'll be going after all. The price is right: free. I'll reserve further opinion on the suckitude until I see it for myself.

r5TPsooner
1/21/2008, 05:47 PM
I'm not even what you'd call a VH fan, but I can see more than 7 songs on that list I'd be interested in seeing.

Maybe I forgot to mention that I'm not a pre-Hagar VH fan.:D

Newbomb Turk
1/21/2008, 05:53 PM

dood... <shakes head>

I saw them in 1984. It was a hell of a show.

Sooner_Bob
1/21/2008, 07:01 PM

I've liked them since the beginning . . . Roth, Hagar, (even Cherone just a little), it really didn't matter. They each had their own style, and I adjusted to them when I needed to.

Frozen Sooner
1/21/2008, 07:16 PM
I bought Van Halen I
It was the best damn record I ever owned
TG&Y 1978
Two hand tapping guitar technique really got me off
Eruption yeah, ain't talkin' 'bout love, I'm on fire

Tomorrow may come
Tomorrow may never come again
Can't you hear Jamie cryin?
She's runnin' with the devil

I bought Women and Children First
Fair Warning and Van Halen II
Dance the night away
1984 my favorite record yeah I wore it down
Might as well jump

Tomorrow may come

Is this what you wanted, Sammy Hagar?
Sammy Hagar, is this what you wanted, man?
Dave lost his hairline but you lost your cool buddy
Can't drive 55
I'll never buy your lousy records again
Again, again, again, never again...

Tomorrow may come
Jump jump jump jump jump jump jump, might as well jump

OUDoc
1/22/2008, 09:24 AM
Well, apparently I'll be going after all. The price is right: free. I'll reserve further opinion on the suckitude until I see it for myself.
At least you've got the "open mind" thing going.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/22/2008, 11:46 AM
Jed should babysit your kids so you can go, Doc.

OUDoc
1/22/2008, 11:47 AM
Jed should babysit your kids so you can go, Doc.
Agreed.

BigRedJed
1/22/2008, 11:48 AM
Hee hee.

No.

OUDoc
1/22/2008, 11:50 AM
Hee hee.

No.
Too late. H and I already agreed. I'll drop them off at 7-ish. Have dinner ready.

Mjcpr
1/22/2008, 11:51 AM
Too late. H and I already agreed. I'll drop them off at 7-ish. Have dinner ready.

Please prepare a list of the **** they don't like.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/22/2008, 11:52 AM
Why not? You didn't really want to go anyway, Jed. I'm sure Doc will let you use all of his multiple gaming systems.

BigRedJed
1/22/2008, 12:02 PM
No, I'm going to go ahead and go, I guess. I can't imagine that there will be any more opportunities, as long as Eddie has to put up with this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIFGW4Ms6Fo&feature=related). Geez, shut up, Dave. You might stay employed longer.

BigRedJed
1/22/2008, 12:05 PM
That is a spectacular ego collision in the making right there. You'd think Dave would be a tad more careful, considering Eddie proved for 20+ years that he'd rather have a mediocre frontman than a great one who hogs the spotlight.

BigRedJed
1/22/2008, 12:06 PM
But then again, if you think that, you don't know Diamond David Lee Roth.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/22/2008, 12:20 PM
You'll have to report back to us. I'd like to see them in concert, but no tickets came up on Frontrowfans.

I'm hoping Matt gets some for Bon Jovi.

Mjcpr
1/22/2008, 12:21 PM
You'll have to report back to us. I'd like to see them in concert, but no tickets came up on Frontrowfans.

I'm hoping Matt gets some for Bon Jovi.

Don't hold your breath.

Boomer_Sooner_sax
1/22/2008, 12:31 PM
I know I am in the majority, but I think Sammy is 100x> than DLR. I like the Van Hagar stuff, but only some of the Van Lee Roth stuff. he is just meh to me.

DoubleDown
1/22/2008, 12:46 PM
I know I am in the majority, but I think Sammy is 100x> than DLR. I like the Van Hagar stuff, but only some of the Van Lee Roth stuff. he is just meh to me.

Hagar couldn't hold DLR's bedazzled, spandex pants.

Sooner_Bob
1/22/2008, 01:28 PM
Hagar couldn't hold DLR's bedazzled, spandex pants.

Since there's no telling what that stain might be why would anyone want to?

:P

r5TPsooner
1/22/2008, 01:34 PM
Plenty of tickets still available according to the radio.

If they were about $20. I'd go.

frankensooner
1/22/2008, 02:11 PM
Is Velcro the opening act?

Mjcpr
1/22/2008, 02:15 PM

No, but there should be plenty on their shoes.

Taxman71
1/22/2008, 03:31 PM
Just checked with my sources and tickets are already below half of face. Expect 25 - 33 cents on the dollar by 7:00 p.m. tonight. There are also a ton of complimentary tickets being handed out right now. Money should NOT be an issue if you want to see this show.

Not sure why the OKC show is selling so bad as others (Dallas) sold out very quickly from what I hear.

Sadly, I bought my floor seats the day the tix went on sale and wasted a couple hundred.

OUDoc
1/22/2008, 08:37 PM
Jed better be having fun. :(

usmc-sooner
1/22/2008, 08:55 PM
Does VH sing any of DLR's solo projects like Skyscraper or the stuff with Steve Vai?

soonerbrat
1/22/2008, 09:02 PM
someone invited me to go at 6:20 tonight, WTF? ask at least a day earlier, dumas

KC//CRIMSON
1/22/2008, 09:10 PM

http://www.8secondchallenge.com/soonerfans/method.jpg

bluedogok
1/22/2008, 09:15 PM
Man, they were absolutely horrible......VH was only marginally better that night. I had fifth row floor both nights and that was the worst VH show that I had ever seen. I sold the tickets for the next night. Early VH with DLR were great shows, the Van Hagar shows were great, different but still great. The Diver Down/1984 tours were just horrid.

soonerbrat
1/22/2008, 09:16 PM

i should've babysitted for you. i'm not doing anything.

OUDoc
1/22/2008, 10:00 PM
i should've babysitted for you. i'm not doing anything.
Would have bought you a shirt. Maybe the cool 3/4 sleeve black and white baseball shirt. ;)

soonerbrat
1/22/2008, 10:02 PM
Would have bought you a shirt. Maybe the cool 3/4 sleeve black and white baseball shirt. ;)

I have one of those that I got in 1984!!!! it's hanging in my closet. of course I was about 4 inches shorter and a whole lot lighter so it doesn't fit anymore, but i still got it!

soonerbrat
1/22/2008, 10:16 PM
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b274/soonerbrat/IMG_0538.jpg
http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b274/soonerbrat/IMG_0540.jpg

salth2o
1/22/2008, 10:40 PM
I am going to the show on Monday night in Houston and will give details Tuesday morning.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/22/2008, 11:09 PM
http://www.8secondchallenge.com/soonerfans/method.jpgJed loves that orange shirt.

BigRedJed
1/23/2008, 03:29 AM
Funny, I went to Van Halen with the same dude. Oh, and that picture was taken by one of the guys from the Crystal Method. That has to count for something. Also, I no longer wear that shirt.

OUDoc
1/23/2008, 08:49 AM
Shirtless to concerts now? :eek:

OUDoc
1/23/2008, 09:19 AM
How was the concert, Jed?

Sooner_Bob
1/23/2008, 09:20 AM
He can't hear you . . .

SoonerTerry
1/23/2008, 09:40 AM
Drunk tank?

BigRedJed
1/23/2008, 10:29 AM
I stand corrected. I hesitated to get excited about the show, because I didn't want to be disappointed, especially in light of the Police show I saw last year.

But Dave was NOT Wayne Newton. He was tanned, rested and ready. That dude has been sitting at home for 23 years waiting for this moment. Dude had a six pack. I'm jealous. He was a high-kicking (no splits, however), huge-smiling, microphone-stand-twirling, top-hat-wearing, dervish. His voice sounded great. He totally restablished himself as one of the greatest frontmen in the history of rock. He can be forgiven for (good-naturedly) muffing a couple of lyrics.

Eddie seemed surprisingly un-drunk (unlike the last time VanHagar visited), and was predictably masterful.

Wolfgang was plenty good on the bass, and did a great job of hitting Michael Anthony's register on backing vocals. Not as much of a glaring omission as I expected.

The played a nice long set, consisting of all of the great old-school VH, plus a bit of that new-fangled 1984 stuff that doesn't hold up quite as well, but is entertaining in a "remember when" sort of way. Nobody left disappointed.

Notable as always were the sucky Ford Center acoustics.

I also felt like a few parts were a little too self-absorbed; DLR's storytelling and audience pandering before Ice Cream Man didn't really add anything to the show, Eddie's 20 minute+ (I'm guessing) solo was a bit much. Yeah, we get it. You're one of the best guitarists who ever lived. We already knew that. You don't need to convince us.

Alex's drum solo was a time-waster too. He's a technically excellent drummer, no doubt about it. But all I could think about is "spare us, dude, Neil Peart is going to be in town in a few months."

That said, I think the best surprise of the evening was that Eddie and Diamond Dave genuinely seemed to enjoy being on the stage together. A great change from the VanHagar show, or the Police show I saw last year. Like I mentioned, Dave has obviously been waiting a couple of decades for a chance to front this band again, and I think Eddie must realize how much better his band is with DLR rocking the mic. I'm not under any illusions regarding them hanging out after the show, but I now won't be surprised if they manage to tour together for awhile.

All in all, there was very, very little suckitude. Plus, the Ford Center offered some of the best people watching I've seen in many, many years. I didn't realize those people still lived in OKC.

BigRedJed
1/23/2008, 10:33 AM
Oh, and I forgot to mention. Diamond Dave is Sammy Hagar's DADDY. There is no comparison.

r5TPsooner
1/23/2008, 10:44 AM
Oh, and I forgot to mention. Diamond Dave is Sammy Hagar's DADDY. There is no comparison.

:rolleyes:

BigRedJed
1/23/2008, 11:05 AM
:rolleyes:
I'm going to guess that:

You are under the age of 35, maybe well under
You didn't go to the show last night, and
You've not seen this band live in both incarnations

frankensooner
1/23/2008, 11:07 AM
Diamond Dave is the Cat's meow. Sammy Hagar is the Cat's hairball. (although I did like some of this solo stuff) ;)

Sooner_Bob
1/23/2008, 11:19 AM
A guy here at the office did nothing but brag about the show too.

Glad you guys had fun.

OUDoc
1/23/2008, 11:25 AM
DLR has always been the ultimate showman. Kind of a circus sideshow all to himself. You'd have to see him perform to appreciate how well he interacts with the audience (although he's hammy/cornball a lot of the time, he really plays to the crowd).

Taxman71
1/23/2008, 11:39 AM
Ditto what Jed said above. Best of all was that noone in the band went through the motions. Every one of them appeared to be playing hard every second of the show, especially DLR who literally never stood still for a moment when he was on stage. I agree DLR and Eddie seemed to genuinely enjoy playing together.

Only critique is that the vocals were hard to hear on some songs. Could be due to the sound man or the Ford Center's acoustics. Either way, killer show.

soonerbrat
1/23/2008, 12:08 PM
Wolfgang? how old is that kid now? like about 18?

OUDoc
1/23/2008, 12:16 PM
I thought he was 15-ish.

BigRedJed
1/23/2008, 12:17 PM
15 when the tour started. Might be 16 by now.

DoubleDown
1/23/2008, 12:28 PM
I loved the show. Ditto on everything Jed said. I will go a step further, however, and say that Wolfie replacing MA was seemless. Kid is hella talented on the bass and nailed the vocals. I thought Ed would take the reins and handle most of the back-up vocals. But Wolfie was the man last night. Not an ounce of disappointment.

I was also really happy to see how well DLR and EVH still moved. Although I always thought Dave's karate was awfully cheesy, it was still entertaining. I saw him solo at In Cahoots in 98 (I think) and he was very overweight and literally couldn't get his kicks more than a foot off the ground. Last night, he was kicking and jumping and looked 20 years younger. I was also happy to see Eddie forgetting that new hip and doing numerous scissor kicks that were almost as much of a staple as his guitar skills. Four star show.

Dio
1/23/2008, 01:37 PM
Until last night, I had only seen VH with Sammy and Dave solo (1986 was killer, 2003 not so much). That show blew them all out of the water. This was Van F***ING Halen we all remember from when we were kids (except r5TP, apparently ;) )

And I'm glad Eddie's solo was so long- I had enough time to get a t-shirt and a beer.

r5TPsooner
1/23/2008, 01:43 PM
I'm going to guess that:

You are under the age of 35, maybe well under
You didn't go to the show last night, and
You've not seen this band live in both incarnations

1. You're wrong.
2. Correct because I want to see the original line-up.
3. You're wrong again.

Hagar trumps DLR in almost every category except doing lines of cocaine on the stomachs of naked chicks.

Of course, that's just my own opinion. Regardless, both line-ups kicked azz in there own special ways.

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/23/2008, 01:45 PM
Petro is surprisingly (or not) absent from this thread. Methinks someone is still trying to find his face after it got rocked off.

KC//CRIMSON
1/23/2008, 01:55 PM
VH has been pretty much hit or miss on this tour. Some reviews have been great while others have been not so great. I've read mixed reviews on the show last night in OKC.

This is what they sounded like in KC.

http://a135.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/78/l_5b2167a2cfd66e889b31df40dda201ee.jpg

BigRedJed
1/23/2008, 02:04 PM
I'm guessing the mixed OKC reviews are either people who were suffering from the ****ty acoustics (depending on where you are in that place, they can either be acceptable or horrendous), or the few misguided folks who prefer Sammy.

;)

BigRedJed
1/23/2008, 02:05 PM
I'm guessing the mixed OKC reviews are either people who were suffering from the ****ty acoustics (depending on where you are in that place, they can either be acceptable or horrendous), or the few misguided folks who prefer Sammy.

;)

KC//CRIMSON
1/23/2008, 02:34 PM

;)

The mixed reviews I saw said they were just going through the motions. Not one of their better shows. Just kinda average. I think it has more to do with whether you get sober Ed or drunk Ed. :D

Drunk Ed: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UgwWR1TzJkE&eurl=http://www.kramerforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=21721

BigRedJed
1/23/2008, 02:43 PM
Man, you're saying that someone who saw the OKC show said that they were just going through the motions? I disagree.

Taxman71
1/23/2008, 04:46 PM
Man, you're saying that someone who saw the OKC show said that they were just going through the motions? I disagree.

Ditto. Especially considering these guys are in their fifties.

C&CDean
1/23/2008, 08:43 PM
I didn't go to the show. However, I will offer this commentary:

The last good thing Hagar did was vocals for Montrose. Bad Motorscooter, Rock the Nation, etc. I think he was about 18 then.

Everything he's done since then has been average, except his VH time. That was WELL below average and borders on complete suckdom. Saying VH with Hagar is better than with DLR is like saying the Doobies are better with that fag McDonald singing.

bluedogok
1/23/2008, 10:00 PM
I liked both incarnations, the last few VH-DLR tours before the split were very poor compared to the shows before. I preferred the Van Hagar shows over the last couple of VH-DLR shows.

I would like to see a tour of VH with both Dave and Sammy, it was something that Sammy said he would like to do during the Hall of Fame induction. He said something like they could do a set of Dave's early era, then his and then do a combined show of whatever they wanted to do.

Rhino
1/23/2008, 10:11 PM
I heard DLR kept forgetting lyrics last night.

I would have gone if I could've heard a drunken rambling like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKTc9VaNIiI).

I just wanna say...as of right now, this time today, more people have been arrested today than the entire weekend last year...maaaaaaaaaaaan!!!

BigRedJed
1/23/2008, 11:49 PM
...Saying VH with Hagar is better than with DLR is like saying the Doobies are better with that fag McDonald singing.
I would rather listen to Fran Drescher for eight hours than have to listen to Michael McDonald. Nothin' against him, but if I hear Yah Mo B There one more time, Yah Mo burn this mother****er to the ground.

KC//CRIMSON
1/23/2008, 11:54 PM
I heard DLR kept forgetting lyrics last night.
I would have gone if I could've heard a drunken rambling like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKTc9VaNIiI).

Heard that too. Also heard Wolfgang was stiff as a board, pretty much no showmanship from anyone in the band.

BigRedJed
1/24/2008, 12:10 AM
Last night? Or at the show in KC? Wolfgang is going to have to learn stage flourishes, no doubt. He's what? 15? 16? I'll cut him some slack. But if someone told you that there was no showmanship from anybody at the OKC show, they're dead wrong.

And I've already said that DLR dropped some lyrics. Three times, that I caught. But it really wasn't the end of the world.

KC//CRIMSON
1/24/2008, 12:30 AM
Last night? Or at the show in KC? Wolfgang is going to have to learn stage flourishes, no doubt. He's what? 15? 16? I'll cut him some slack. But if someone told you that there was no showmanship from anybody at the OKC show, they're dead wrong.

And I've already said that DLR dropped some lyrics. Three times, that I caught. But it really wasn't the end of the world.

Jumping around, spazzing out, and forgetting lyrics is not showmanship.:D

Petro-Sooner
1/26/2008, 11:59 AM
Petro is surprisingly (or not) absent from this thread. Methinks someone is still trying to find his face after it got rocked off.

I really enjoyed the show. Blown away by Eddie's solo. Can now say I've seen VH.

BigRedJed
1/26/2008, 12:36 PM
Here's (http://newsok.com/article/3196229/1201141262) a review from the Oklahoman's George Lang, who is generally a pretty harsh critic, and especially doesn't have much use for rock dinosaurs (he favors punk/indie artists):

From the moment David Lee Roth appeared at the top of a giant runway that snaked through the Ford Center audience Tuesday night, he wore the one thing that told every Van Halen fan that everything was right with the world. It was a maniacal Cheshire cat smile announcing happiness and enthusiasm that cannot be faked. Not only was the old band back together, it was thriving.

Roth's smile spread like a contagion and did not go away for more than two hours as he and Eddie, Alex and Wolfgang Van Halen put shock paddles on the band's 1978-84 catalog and jolted it back to life. Michael Anthony's absence on bass could not be avoided, but as Roth announced after tearing through "You Really Got Me” and "I'm the One,” this was a lineup that was "three-quarters original, one-quarter inevitable.”

Wolfgang, 16, was born squarely in the Sammy Hagar era, but he did what he was supposed to do: He held the bottom down, blowing out the thunderous bass and singing the high harmonies that all those classics required. His father, Eddie, looked and sounded thoroughly rejuvenated on "Runnin' With the Devil” and "Somebody Get Me a Doctor” — any reported deficiencies from late-period "Van Hagar” shows could not be heard this time around.

The big lovefest just kept coming: "Beautiful Girls,” "Dance the Night Away,” "Everybody Wants Some,” "So This is Love?” and "Mean Street” were all played enthusiastically and sung back to the band by the capacity crowd. All the while, Roth harpooned the air with his mike stand and strutted like a proud rock peacock.

Van Halen barreled through a slew of classics, including "Unchained,” "I'll Wait,” "Little Guitars” and "Jamie's Cryin'.” Then Roth, wearing a matador jacket, tight pants and that wicked smile, took the stage solo with an acoustic guitar and told a story about bicycling around Oklahoma City on the band's first visit in 1977 before launching into an August-hot version of "Ice Cream Man.” The crowd went bonkers for "Panama,” an extended version of "Eruption” and "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love” before the band left the stage, readying their final leap.

Everyone knew what it would be, but it didn't make it any less special. As the opening synths from "1984” played, Roth appeared at the top of the catwalk, brandishing a giant red flag as the chords to "Jump” hit the air.

Confetti blew out of the ceiling as Roth bellowed the band's biggest pop hit, performed his signature roundhouse kicks and stalked the stage wearing a spangled captain's hat, reveling in the moment.

As the crowd left, many were still wearing big smiles borrowed from Diamond Dave. Older and having lived through breakups, recrimination and disappointment, Van Halen was not the same band it was in 1978, but it was exactly the band the members wanted and needed to be in 2008.

BigRedJed
1/26/2008, 12:41 PM
Still waiting on that "mixed review" on OKC's show... :taps foot:

;)