PDA

View Full Version : New Linebacker Commit...

Brasky7
1/20/2008, 03:15 PM
Mike Balogun

3 Star Inside linebacker
Scranton (PA) Lackawanna C.C.

Ht: 6-foot-2
Wt: 250 lbs

setem
1/20/2008, 03:56 PM
Link?

Kid was player of the year for his conf and also earned 2nd team juco-All-America.

His coach at Lackawanna said they have had 20 D1 LB's come through the program over years and he is the best they have ever had. This may be a great pick up for us!

Collier11
1/20/2008, 03:59 PM
The coach also played 7 years in the nfl apparently and said this guy is that good, FWIW

boomersooner28
1/20/2008, 04:09 PM
We need as many backers as we can get.

jdsooner
1/20/2008, 05:40 PM
From the Arkansas Democrat Gazette:

Arkansas is looking for linebacker help and might go the junior college route to fill the need.

If that's the case, Mike Balogun of Lackawanna College in Scranton, Pa., might be the answer. Balogun, 6-3, 244 pounds, 4. 6 seconds in the 40-yard dash, possesses all the attributes needed to excel on the Division I level and is described by Lackawanna Coach Mark Duda as the best linebacker he's coached.

"We've been here for 16 years and probably had 20 Division I linebackers. He's the best one,"said Duda, who played at Maryland and was taken in the fourth round of the 1983 NFL Draft by the St. Louis Cardinals. "His combination of strength and speed is unusual. He's a super aggressive guy to the ball. He's really an unbelievable player."

Balogun was named Defensive Player of the Year in the Northeast Football Conference and was named a second-team junior-college All-American. He already has scholarship offers from Michigan State, Marshall, Buffalo, UNLV and Akron.

Balogun took an official visit Nov. 11 to Akron, where his cousin is the starting free safety. He plans to visit Michigan State this weekend and Marshall on Jan. 18, but that could change with a phone call from Arkansas linebackers coach Reggie Johnson.

Balogun said he expects to hear back from Johnson this weekend.

"I'm waiting to hear back from him on a visit date,"Balogun said. "I'm trying to talk Arkansas in there for a visit. I'm trying to come down there as soon as possible.

"That's been a dream of mine, to play in the SEC. I'm just glad Arkansas gave me a call."

Balogun said Johnson initially was recruiting another Lackawanna linebacker for Louisville when he noticed Balogun on film. Johnson has continued to recruit him after being hired at Arkansas.

"He was excited about recruiting me, and I'm excited about him recruiting me,"said Balogun, who played high school ball in Maryland. "He wanted to get a visit set up as soon as possible. He let me know that. He said he was going to show the tape to all of the coaching staff and hopefully the next time I talk to him that there's going to be an offer and a visit date."

The linebacker position demands intensity and toughness, and Duda said Balogun has those qualities.

"He plays with such a motor,"Duda said. "We have to pull him off of people in practice most of the time because his motor is at such a high level all the time. He never fatigues. He's just one of those guys built to play. He had a couple of teeth chipped out in his mouth in a game and went back in the next play."

Balogun, 24, didn't decide to play college football until two years ago. A former high school teammate who was playing for Lackawanna told Duda he had a friend who was a great player. Duda said he'd been told the same thing countless times before by others, but this time it proved to be true. Duda said it was obvious Balogun was an incredible athlete, and he could hardly believe Balogun was at home working instead of trying to play college football. "He came in and became an unbelievable player,"Duda said. "I played professional football for seven years in the league, and he's that type of guy."

jdsooner
1/20/2008, 05:42 PM
DEFENSIVE PLAYER OF THE WEEK:
Mike Balogun: Lackawanna
Balogun had eight solo tackles (two for a loss), a forced fumble, and an interception in the Falcons win.  He returned the interception 49 yards to set up a touchdown for Lackawanna

http://www.lackawanna.edu/athletics/football.html

Collier11
1/20/2008, 06:01 PM
this is exactly the type of guy we need

effay
1/20/2008, 06:40 PM
Thank God for an MLB!

Soonerus
1/20/2008, 06:45 PM
Stoops and Vennables had a couple of linebacker recruits at Legends today for brunch...

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
1/20/2008, 08:20 PM
So, what happened with the Arkansas interest? Anybody know?

Youngsooner
1/20/2008, 09:00 PM
So, what happened with the Arkansas interest? Anybody know?

They got blew out by mizzou? i dunno

insuranceman_22
1/20/2008, 09:02 PM
I hope he's got a serious "on the field" mean streak! Welcome aboard Mr. Balogun.

tulsaoilerfan
1/20/2008, 09:11 PM
Lofton declaring may have had some impact on his decision to commit to OU

KingDavid
1/20/2008, 11:58 PM
Mike Balogun: welcome to OU.

Now, we need one of you Mike's (Mike Reed, or you)
to play the Mike
like we like.

You hear?

OU-HSV
1/21/2008, 12:15 AM
Nice news

SoonerinBoulder
1/21/2008, 02:23 PM
Great news! Does he have 3 years to play 2?

sooneron
1/21/2008, 04:08 PM
Good news and welcome Mike!

Desert Sapper
1/24/2008, 05:31 PM
Welcome, Mike. Come with an attitude, brotha.

SOONER STEAKER
1/24/2008, 05:51 PM
Check the attitude at the door and replace that attituide with BV's game day attitude. Go ahead Mike, rip his bleeping head off!!