PDA

View Full Version : The Frozen Tundra of...

Okla-homey
1/20/2008, 02:01 PM
Lambeau Field.

Tonight: Mostly cloudy, with a low around -9. Wind chill values between -15 and -20. West northwest wind between 6 and 8 mph.

The coldest game in NFL history was the 1981 AFC Championship Game, played Jan. 10, 1982, at Cincinnati's Riverfront Stadium. The temperature was minus-9, and the wind chill plunged the readings to minus-59 as the Bengals beat San Diego 27-7.

Next was the Ice Bowl on Dec. 31, 1967, for the NFL title at Lambeau Field. The Packers beat Dallas 21-17 on Bart Starr's quarterback sneak in the final seconds. It was minus-13 that day and the wind-chill factor was estimated at minus-48.

Whet
1/20/2008, 02:12 PM
Yep, it will be cold tonight in Green Bay!
Go GB!

StoopTroup
1/20/2008, 02:22 PM
Any of you see Berman's little video of Farve running naked through the streets of Green Bay to train?

BigRedJed
1/20/2008, 02:46 PM
I remember a freak day in Wichita when I was in high school. One day out of the blue it was, if I remember, -22 without wind chill. It was also the coldest day on record in Wichitittay, I think. The days on either side of it were cold, but nothing freakish, probably teens or 20s.

The crazy thing was that it didn't seem that bad, due to ZERO wind. It seemed indistinguishable from the teens or 20s, IMO. My best friend and I stayed outside for a while tossing a football around.

But with even a breath of wind those guys will be amazingly cold.

walkoffsooner
1/20/2008, 03:02 PM
The fans will be a lot colder than the players.

Viking Kitten
1/20/2008, 03:28 PM
Why the hell do those crazy cheesers not cover that thing up? Does it give them the edge when they play teams like SD and Dallas?

Tradition Schmadition. My ancestors left Norway because some places are just too friggin' cold.

OU-HSV
1/20/2008, 03:54 PM
Eli is going down. He's a sissy and won't be able to handle that kind of extreme cold. And he's a sissy. Did I mention he's a sissy?

silverwheels
1/20/2008, 03:56 PM
Tradition Schmadition. My ancestors left Norway because some places are just too friggin' cold.

And they wanted to, you know, pillage and stuff.

BigRedJed
1/20/2008, 04:00 PM
I think we're all missing the important thing here: Eli's in a conference championship game while his brother's on his couch. The end of days is upon us.

Viking Kitten
1/20/2008, 04:01 PM
And they wanted to, you know, pillage and stuff.
They did a bang-up job pillaging land from the Shawnee Indians in Kansas.

OU-HSV
1/20/2008, 04:04 PM
I think we're all missing the important thing here: Eli's in a conference championship game while his brother's on his couch. The end of days is upon us.
That is scary for sure

VeeJay
1/20/2008, 04:13 PM
That is scary for sure

Naw, from what I hear Peyton has already filmed commercials for Diners Club, Shoney's, Trojan condoms, American Tourister, Gillette, Microsoft, and Chuck E. Cheese's - all since last Sunday.

This week he's got Ozark Spring Water, Hallmark Cards, Handi-Wipes, John Deere, Safeway, English Leather, and O'Cedar lined up.

:pop:

StoopTroup
1/20/2008, 05:03 PM
Do Czars pillage?

stoops the eternal pimp
1/20/2008, 06:01 PM
Its gonna be about 75 degrees where I am sitting

KC//CRIMSON
1/20/2008, 06:04 PM
When a field gets that cold it's like playing on concrete. Ugh.

Okla-homey
1/20/2008, 06:07 PM
Do Czars pillage?

sure. In that one family, they got vikings and cossacks. Both groups were outstanding pillagers and ravishers. World-class in fact.

What's more, those traditions survived well into the 20c. Just think of Hitler's fellers on the march into Russia during Barbarossa. Amazing Nordic excess and exceptional cruelty. No village left unpillaged, and no female left unraped. Then, fast forward four years to the Russian invasion of the Reich. Payback in kind. Shivver.

Yep, I'd have to say Nordic types and Russians are just about as pillage-prone as any people on the planet.

OU-HSV
1/20/2008, 06:09 PM
When a ball gets that cold it's like catching concrete

Rogue
1/20/2008, 06:15 PM
Could be a good game tonight.

sanantoniosooner
1/20/2008, 06:16 PM
My understanding is that the field has enough heating built into it that the ground itself does not freeze.

Calling it the frozen tundra is strictly a tradition at this point.

That doesn't help keep the arms and legs any warmer though.

OU-HSV
1/20/2008, 06:27 PM
My understanding is that the field has enough heating built into it that the ground itself does not freeze.

That doesn't help keep the arms and legs any warmer though.
Well, except for Eli, cause he'll be laying on the ground a lot!

SoonerInKCMO
1/20/2008, 06:29 PM
Why the hell do those crazy cheesers not cover that thing up?

Dain bramage from years of drinking anti-freeze in the stands.

StoopTroup
1/20/2008, 07:12 PM
Wow...I had no idea.

I mean I knew they were ruthless when defending the Homeland.

I guess that's why they miss the old leadership.

sure. In that one family, they got vikings and cossacks. Both groups were outstanding pillagers and ravishers. World-class in fact.

What's more, those traditions survived well into the 20c. Just think of Hitler's fellers on the march into Russia during Barbarossa. Amazing Nordic excess and exceptional cruelty. No village left unpillaged, and no female left unraped. Then, fast forward four years to the Russian invasion of the Reich. Payback in kind. Shivver.

Yep, I'd have to say Nordic types and Russians are just about as pillage-prone as any people on the planet.

bluedogok
1/20/2008, 07:43 PM

That doesn't help keep the arms and legs any warmer though.Yep, it doesn't freeze anymore like the old Ice Bowl game. The field is a hybrid of natural grass and a synthetic layer, it has a heating system in the field. Before the game they had the system on, the field covered with a tarp and had heaters blowing under the tarp. The field is probably the warmest thing in the area.

From LambeauField.com (http://www.lambeaufield.com/stadium_info/history/)

Field: Installed in 2007, the top level of the field system is 12 inches of root-zone sand and Kentucky bluegrass turf. DD GrassMaster synthetic fibers are stitched into the surface, providing strength and stability to the field. Fibers extend approximately seven inches below the surface and are exposed approximately one inch above the surface and are spaced every three-quarters of an inch. Approximately 20 million individual stitches make up the process.

Heating system: Installed in 2007 and contains more than 30 miles of radiant heating pipe, which can maintain a root-zone temperature of 55-plus degrees to keep the ground from freezing during the season's latter months. First system was put in by Vince Lombardi for 1967 season (failed during Ice Bowl).

OU-HSV
1/21/2008, 10:07 PM
Eli is going down. He's a sissy and won't be able to handle that kind of extreme cold. And he's a sissy. Did I mention he's a sissy?
Yeah, yeah since someone just negged me for this previous post...I'm reposting it to eat the crow i deserve.
HOWEVER, had this someone read further into the other thread about that game (Brett v. Eli) they would have seen that I said in a latter post that evening that Eli was playing his best game ever and he was impressing me in those nasty conditions.

I gotta give it to eli, he's played probably his best game ever considering the conditions.
I still don't like him though
I gave Eli the credit due. Thanks for the unneccessary/non-signed cowardly negspek you hater.