PDA

View Full Version : Tax rebate ?

OUHOMER
1/20/2008, 09:46 AM
The tax rebate, refund, what ever they want to call it. I think i saw something like $800 for single filers and $1600 for couples. I guess it is too stimulate the economy. But if everybody went out and spent it on a TV, microwave, and all of it is made in China, India, Mexico,etc. does it really help? Seems there would only be a few dollars spent for nothing but the middle man.

I am in transportation, so i can see where it would stimulate the transportation industries, except with rising fuel cost it would cut into that. Of course all carriers are now at about a 18% fuel surcharge or better. ( seen the price of milk lately)

anyway just my rant for today. carry on, nothing to see here

OU-HSV
1/20/2008, 09:50 AM
I'm speaking for myself, but if my wife and I got an extra $1600 passed our way. Mine would go toward paying down some debt.

Although the empty space on that wall above my fireplace is awfully tempting for that flatscreen I have dreams about. :D

OUHOMER
1/20/2008, 09:55 AM
I'm speaking for myself, but if my wife and I got an extra $1600 passed our way. Mine would go toward paying down some debt.

Although the empty space on that wall above my fireplace is awfully tempting for that flatscreen I have dreams about. :D

Me too, actually, But if they came too me and said we will give you this money if you promised to help stimulate the economy, I would do my civic duty. Anything to help be a great American citizen.:D

But the things I want aren't made in America anymore :mad:

OU-HSV
1/20/2008, 10:06 AM
Me too, actually, But if they came too me and said we will give you this money if you promised to help stimulate the economy, I would do my civic duty. Anything to help be a great American citizen.:D

But the things I want aren't made in America anymore :mad:
True.
And after all the "lead paint" issues involving toys from china, I looked at most of my sons toys and probably 90% of them are from China and maybe that other 10% is Taiwan

tulsaoilerfan
1/20/2008, 12:34 PM
I saw this in the paper today, but didn't see a timeline on when, or if, this would even happen; anyone? I could sure use an extra 1600 bucks

Rogue
1/20/2008, 01:02 PM
Instead of giving all of you hillbillies $800 to pay off debt and stimulate asian economies, a better plan would be to give me a fat check for about $39 million. I'd invest in small businesses (strip clubs), American companies (like Ruger and Armalite), living as a real man of leisure. My endowments (and new season tickets) would educate lots of Oklahomans and fast out of state kids with mad skills.

So if you really love America, don't delay, write your congressman and let them know you support HR 10.2008.Rogue and SB Rogue.61357 also known as Operation Roguenomics.

OUAndy1807
1/20/2008, 02:34 PM
how about this: to get the rebate you have to make less than $80k/yr if you're single and less than something like $120k/yr for a couple. So the people who paid the majority of taxes are not getting the tax rebate.

jkjsooner
1/20/2008, 02:54 PM
It's interesting that Americans now have a negative savings rate yet they want us to go out and spend the $1600 immediately. It seems like a no-win situation to me.

I've been waiting years to buy that TV I always wanted. I just haven't been able to pull the trigger yet. I wouldn't be suprised to see the stores hike up the TV prices if/when we get the rebate. That will make me even less likely to spend that money.

jkjsooner
1/20/2008, 02:57 PM
how about this: to get the rebate you have to make less than $80k/yr if you're single and less than something like $120k/yr for a couple. So the people who paid the majority of taxes are not getting the tax rebate.

Are you serious? Are they really talking about that? Ugh! So we'll have welfare moms out buying the TV I've always wanted? :mad:

soonerbrat
1/20/2008, 02:59 PM
didn't they do this a couple years ago, but then it came out of your refund? or something?

walkoffsooner
1/20/2008, 02:59 PM
if I get it I will pay some on my taxes.

tulsaoilerfan
1/20/2008, 06:33 PM
Yeah, i saw that, but i'm okay; hell if the two of us made over 120K a year i could live like a millionaire in this town

OUAndy1807
1/20/2008, 07:24 PM
Yeah, i saw that, but i'm okay; hell if the two of us made over 120K a year i could live like a millionaire in this town
but really, if the idea is to stimulate the economy, then you would want it to go to the people who would view it as "disposable" and would go out and spend it, not on the people who are going to use it to pay for their heating bills/gas/etc...

I don't have a problem with it being a handout, but that's not how they're selling it.

StoopTroup
1/20/2008, 07:31 PM
I definitely pay off this one bill we have.

Then I'd go get a Playstation 3 the following week. :D

tulsaoilerfan
1/20/2008, 07:49 PM
but really, if the idea is to stimulate the economy, then you would want it to go to the people who would view it as "disposable" and would go out and spend it, not on the people who are going to use it to pay for their heating bills/gas/etc...

I don't have a problem with it being a handout, but that's not how they're selling it.

But then where do you cut it off at? Some people manage their $ better that make 40K a year than those at 120K; hard to say what that magic income number really is

OUAndy1807
1/20/2008, 07:53 PM
If it was up to me everyone would get their pro rata share, but that would be too fair for the US govt to consider.

1stTimeCaller
1/20/2008, 07:55 PM
just like paying taxes, the rebate things should be based on your income bracket.

1stTimeCaller
1/20/2008, 07:59 PM
and what I mean by that is the top two income tax brackets should kick in a few hundred or maybe a few thousand dollars so the folks in the lower tax brackets can enjoy the benefits of society a little more.

I like to call it the klatt-Buffett rebate plan.

sooner_born_1960
1/20/2008, 08:02 PM
and what I mean by that is the top two income tax brackets should kick in a few hundred or maybe a few thousand dollars so the folks in the lower tax brackets can enjoy the benefits of society a little more.

I like to call it the klatt-Buffett rebate plan.
Or Marx.
From each according to his ability, to each according to his need?

sanantoniosooner
1/20/2008, 08:13 PM
The Marx Brothers were something else.

r5TPsooner
1/20/2008, 08:19 PM

Surely you are joking. The people who pay the most in taxes should be the 1st in line to get a rebate check if it happens.

Vaevictis
1/21/2008, 01:51 AM
If the purpose of the cut is to stimulate the economy, the rebate should go to those who are most likely to use it in a way that will stimulate the economy.

(I don't know who that would be, I'm just saying -- if it's for a purpose, then you know, you should tailor it to that purpose.)

Sooner_Bob
1/21/2008, 10:19 AM

That's the first thing that came to my mind as well.

Curly Bill
1/21/2008, 10:26 AM
The Marx Brothers were something else.

Yeah, but their economic plan sucked.

TheHumanAlphabet
1/21/2008, 12:04 PM
Election year pandering!

What I have never figured out, how can someone who doesn't owe any fed taxes get a refund? a refund of 0 is still 0.

jeremy885
1/21/2008, 01:02 PM
didn't they do this a couple years ago, but then it came out of your refund? or something?

2001. Yeah, but the rebate due to the tax law they passes that created the opportunity for the rebate. In other words, they gave it to you in OCt 01 instead of APR 02.

Chuck Bao
1/21/2008, 01:03 PM
No, seriously, that's the beauty of this plan.

The rebate will go to people who will spend it, immediately.

You may pay more taxes than these people who get the rebate, but you should be happy that the government is subsidizing their purchase of that large flat screen TV that you've wanted.

And, the government is subsidizing the workers in China making that TV. Eventually, these Chinese workers will buy copyrighted movies, music and medicines from the US and, see, everyone benefits.

You can go ahead and thank your representatives in congress for making your tax dollars work for you.