PDA

View Full Version : ACL surgery on the way

stoops the eternal pimp
1/19/2008, 10:50 PM
Anybody else had an ACL surgery?

I tore mine 13 years ago(the day I quit college) and since I ve started back to school, I ve decided to go full circle and get the knee cut on. I was supposed to get it done last month but I changed it to next month.

Why the long set back? Afraid of being knocked out. My last knee surgery, I woke up convulsing and thought I was gonna die. Turned out not to be a big deal but I didnt like the experience. When I had my wisdom teeth cut out, I woke up during the procedure, which is not thrilling.

Don't plan on ducking out on it this time but it just makes me nervous

Soonerus
1/19/2008, 10:51 PM
I had ACL surgery 14 years ago...

LilSooner
1/19/2008, 11:04 PM
I had it done in 97 and it sucked great monkey balls. It hurts like hell and you will need someone there to help you get into bed and to shower because you aren't going to be able to lift your leg at all.

Main thing you need to do is rehab. Rehab, rehab, rehab.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/19/2008, 11:07 PM
I had it done in 97 and it sucked great monkey balls. It hurts like hell and you will need someone there to help you get into bed and to shower because you aren't going to be able to lift your leg at all.

I m good friends with most of the crew at the PT place and they ve let me know a little about what I m getting into..Don't look forward to that either

Soonerus
1/19/2008, 11:09 PM
Who is your orthopedic surgeon....makes all the difference in the world...you also need an AGGRESSIVE pt program...

LilSooner
1/19/2008, 11:14 PM
I m good friends with most of the crew at the PT place and they ve let me know a little about what I m getting into..Don't look forward to that either

Good. Just follow what they say. 10 years ago Cruise did mine knee at what is now OCOM and they did a good job. I was an overachiever back in the day and if they told me to do 10 of something I did 25. Which got me back playing ball in 4 months instead of 6.

Just do what the PT's say and you will be golden.

Soonerus
1/19/2008, 11:16 PM
Good. Just follow what they say. 10 years ago Cruise did mine knee at what is now OCOM and they did a good job. I was an overachiever back in the day and if they told me to do 10 of something I did 25. Which got me back playing ball in 4 months instead of 6.

Just do what the PT's say and you will be golden.

but get an aggressive program from the pt....that is crucial...

LilSooner
1/19/2008, 11:22 PM
but get an aggressive program from the pt....that is crucial...

I'm sure he will Rus. I never knew that not only where you a top notch attorney, but an expert on orthopedic recovery as well.

Amazing...

stoops the eternal pimp
1/19/2008, 11:25 PM
The PT i will be using is the guy that works on all the high school athletes when they go down to an injury. All the local coaches love him and he said he's gonna push me. He told me to bring my favorite workout music in and they ll play it, which is cool if everybody else loves the Carpenters like I do:D

Soonerus
1/19/2008, 11:26 PM
I'm sure he will Rus. I never knew that not only where you a top notch attorney, but an expert on orthopedic recovery as well.

Amazing...

I really did a lot of research back when I had ACL surgery....I really was unfamiliar with the ACL before that...I read tons and became a mini-expert on the ACL and surgery...I learned to administer the knee pull test to determine if somebody has torn an ACL...reading can do wonders...

Shneeg11
1/19/2008, 11:29 PM
The PT i will be using is the guy that works on all the high school athletes when they go down to an injury. All the local coaches love him and he said he's gonna push me. He told me to bring my favorite workout music in and they ll play it, which is cool if everybody else loves the Carpenters like I do:D

OSSO?

Soonerus
1/19/2008, 11:31 PM

Good luck man, it is worth it...

LilSooner
1/19/2008, 11:31 PM

Awesome! I think I know where you are going and they do a fantastic job. You will be in great hands. Here's hoping that you beat me on recovery time.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/19/2008, 11:33 PM
I really did a lot of research back when I had ACL surgery....I really was unfamiliar with the ACL before that...I read tons and became a mini-expert on the ACL and surgery...I learned to administer the knee pull test to determine if somebody has torn an ACL...reading can do wonders...

You know Rus its amazing how many doctors don't know how to administer the knee pull test. During the last 13 years, often I would go to a doctor after a flare up(swells up from time to time) and tell them I hurt my knee ..99 percent of them would do the knee pull and then say "Its not torn." Then they would do x rays and say my knee was fine. I was a little surprised. All the orthopedic guys could do it but getting in to see them is a little difficult

Mjcpr
1/19/2008, 11:36 PM
When you get the physical therapy, get the aggressive kind.

jk the sooner fan
1/19/2008, 11:48 PM

ditto to all that - i had mine in 97 as well

Tiptonsooner
1/20/2008, 10:00 AM
My knee is class of 99, Dr Anthony Cruise is the man.

BillyBall
1/20/2008, 12:25 PM
When you get the physical therapy, get the aggressive kind.

You know I read that somewhere before...

Turd_Ferguson
1/20/2008, 12:54 PM
When you get the Psychological therapy, get the aggressive kind.That's what my first wife told me

1stTimeCaller
1/20/2008, 01:01 PM
the Carpenters, that's funny.

Why are you wanting to have it done?

I tore one of mine a few years ago and I don't see the need in having it fixed. I can still play basketball, softball and a few other lazy, fat man's games.

About the only thing I could recommend is getting an agressive PT program after the surgery.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/20/2008, 05:48 PM
the Carpenters, that's funny.

Why are you wanting to have it done?

I tore one of mine a few years ago and I don't see the need in having it fixed. I can still play basketball, softball and a few other lazy, fat man's games.

About the only thing I could recommend is getting an agressive PT program after the surgery.

I ve tried playing basketball and its usually a matter of a few minutes before I m laying on the court in pain. I got to the point were I dont even try anymore