PDA

View Full Version : Happy Confederate Heroes Day

SicEmBaylor
1/19/2008, 02:33 PM
Celebrated in Texas, this day, on the anniversary of the birthday of Robert E. Lee.

Everyone have a good one!

Flagstaffsooner
1/19/2008, 02:40 PM
I'll hoist a Natty to that!

sanantoniosooner
1/19/2008, 02:43 PM
yeah........WIDELY recognized.:rolleyes:

SicEmBaylor
1/19/2008, 02:44 PM
yeah........WIDELY recognized.:rolleyes:
It is widely recognized as it's an official state holiday, but it may not be widely celebrated.

Okla-homey
1/19/2008, 02:45 PM
"Duty is the sublimest word in the English language" - Robert Edward Lee

I encountered those words emblazoned on a bronze plaque every day of my undergaduate career at The Citadel. They were in the sallyport of my barracks.

I always try to keep those words in mind. To me, the essence of their meaning is; do what you say you'll do, and don't take shortcuts when it comes to your professional obligations and responsibilities.

or, as Yoda said, "Do, or do not. There is no 'try'"

OKLA21FAN
1/19/2008, 04:08 PM
Celebrated in Texas, this day, on the anniversary of the birthday of Robert E. Lee.

Everyone have a good one!

have they told the poor black folks in Galveston that the civil war was over yet? :pop:

Okla-homey
1/19/2008, 05:39 PM
have they told the poor black folks in Galveston that the civil war was over yet? :pop:

:bsmf: JUNETEENTH BIOTCHES!

SanJoaquinSooner
1/19/2008, 06:17 PM
just don't fly the confederate flag over old glory. You'll **** off olevet somethin fierce.

sanantoniosooner
1/19/2008, 06:20 PM
It is widely recognized as it's an official state holiday, but it may not be widely celebrated.
Widely recognized by who?

Nobody I know is even aware of it.

SicEmBaylor
1/19/2008, 06:29 PM
Widely recognized by who?

Nobody I know is even aware of it.

I was speaking of official recognition.

Rogue
1/19/2008, 07:19 PM
There is a good civil war display at the Smithsonian art gallery. Portraits mostly with some great little write-ups. They did Lincoln in an interesting way. I never saw AL as controversial until the south oval. The writeup said he was considered a "moral coward" for claiming the CW was to protect the union instead of being about slavery. Was blamed when things went poorly for the North and ultimately seen as a "victor." Last sentence said that his reputation as a great president became solidified as a result of his assasination which made his legacy untouchable.

Best one was about William T Sherman and his views on war not being chivalrous as a precursor to 20th century views on warfare.

76soonergrad
1/19/2008, 07:31 PM
When we lived in Little Rock, '83-'96, county employees got a paid day off on this day. And you know who was governor some of this time.

I do think that Robert E. Lee was heroic.

The newspaper in Hot Springs, AR would annually print Lee's "farewell to the troops" speech at the end of the civil war. That editor won a Pulitzer, (not for that). He is also Jewish.

And it was Lee's house in Arlington that ended up becoming a cemetary.

VeeJay
1/19/2008, 07:38 PM
Arkansas First Lady Rodham allowed that??

SicEmBaylor
1/19/2008, 07:47 PM
When we lived in Little Rock, '83-'96, county employees got a paid day off on this day. And you know who was governor some of this time.

I do think that Robert E. Lee was heroic.

The newspaper in Hot Springs, AR would annually print Lee's "farewell to the troops" speech at the end of the civil war. That editor won a Pulitzer, (not for that). He is also Jewish.

And it was Lee's house in Arlington that ended up becoming a cemetary.

Judah Benjamin who held several positions in the Confederate Government was Jewish. The racist skin-head/KKK types who are anti-jewish, anti-catholic, anti-black, etc. are a bunch of freaking idiots that do the good name of the Confederacy no justice at all.

SicEmBaylor
1/19/2008, 07:50 PM
Oh yeah, not only that....Clinton sent an official welcoming/greeting to the UDC at their national convention and our CofC national convention every year. That's a pretty traditional thing for the President to do though -- every single one of them has done so. Woodrow Wilson even spoke at a convention.

What Hillary didn't allow though was the traditional tea with the UDC National Officers. The Executive Committee of the UDC (and the Union equivalent) get invited to the White House for tea (separately). Well Hillary refused to have the teas.

stoops the eternal pimp
1/19/2008, 07:51 PM
To have an orange car on TV named after him has to be the biggest honor bestowed upon him

76soonergrad
1/19/2008, 07:55 PM

Oh, yeah. She had to use her "married name" when hubby ran for governor after losing in the early '80s. Arkies really wouldn't go for all that femlib stuff.

Newbomb Turk
1/19/2008, 07:59 PM
When is Union Heroes Day?

Ima celebrate then.

SicEmBaylor
1/19/2008, 08:02 PM

Ima celebrate then.

I believe that's called Memorial Day.

Rogue
1/19/2008, 08:05 PM

Nevermind, you're right.

KABOOKIE
1/19/2008, 08:06 PM
I always thought the 3rd monday in January was Robert E. Lee day?

Rogue
1/19/2008, 08:07 PM
I thought you were saying something else Sicem. My bad.

SicEmBaylor
1/19/2008, 08:08 PM
I always thought the 3rd monday in January was Robert E. Lee day?
It depends on the state.

Texas has it on the 19th.

76soonergrad
1/19/2008, 08:14 PM
He was born on the19th.

SicEmBaylor
1/19/2008, 08:15 PM
He was born on the19th.
Right but some states have Confederate Hero Day on the 3rd Monday.

sanantoniosooner
1/19/2008, 08:37 PM
I'll celebrate the confederate heroes right after I celebrate the great redcoats of the past.

Newbomb Turk
1/19/2008, 09:10 PM

really?

Memorial Day is reserved for Union heroes? I didn't know that.

OKLA21FAN
1/19/2008, 09:23 PM
how about Veteran's day?

JohnnyMack
1/19/2008, 09:26 PM
I'll celebrate the confederate heroes right after I celebrate the great redcoats of the past.

Why do you hate the Tories?

NYC Poke
1/19/2008, 10:11 PM
I encountered those words emblazoned on a bronze plaque every day of my undergaduate career at The Citadel. They were in the sallyport of my barracks.

I always try to keep those words in mind. To me, the essence of their meaning is; do what you say you'll do, and don't take shortcuts when it comes to your professional obligations and responsibilities.

or, as Yoda said, "Do, or do not. There is no 'try'"

I went to Washington & Lee for law school. REL became president of that university after the Civil War until his death. He and his family are entombed on campus in Lee Chapel.

I didn't have much opinion on REL before I went there, but I came away with great admiration, bordering in feeling humbled by receiving a diploma bearing his name. He's one of the most honorable men who ever lived.

Turd_Ferguson
1/19/2008, 10:23 PM
He and his family are buring on campusGross.

NYC Poke
1/19/2008, 10:25 PM
Gross.

Heh. Aggie spelling. And they're not buried, their entombed. My bad.

olevetonahill
1/19/2008, 11:40 PM
just don't fly the confederate flag over old glory. You'll **** off olevet somethin fierce.
Dont Put ANY Flag Over OLD GLORY and we be fine ;)

Flagstaffsooner
1/20/2008, 03:26 AM

Ima celebrate then.Gawl damned yankee!;)

And you people quit calling it the Civil War. It was the war Between the States or the War of northern Aggression.:mad:

SicEmBaylor
1/20/2008, 03:32 AM
Gawl damned yankee!;)

And you people quit calling it the Civil War. It was the war Between the States or the War of northern Aggression.:mad:

There was nothing civil about that war!

SicEmBaylor
1/20/2008, 03:33 AM
really?

Memorial Day is reserved for Union heroes? I didn't know that.

Yes, that was the original purpose of the holiday.

http://www.hardwarelogic.com/articles/blogs/Website_Reviews_and_You/MoreYouKnow.jpg

Flagstaffsooner
1/20/2008, 04:50 AM
There was nothing civil about that war! Thats because the goddamnedyankees were such vile azzholes.
http://www.sonofthesouth.net/union-generals/sherman/pictures/general-william-tecumseh-sherman.jpg

SanJoaquinSooner
1/20/2008, 10:42 AM
All eight of my great grandparents migrated to Oklahoma from confederate states. I have forgiven my ancestors for being confederates.

They, like Robert E. Lee, may have been honorable with great personal qualities. But they were on the wrong side.

The United States of America is the greatest nation on earth. We are the only true superpower. Thank God we did not balkanize in the 19th century, into a bunch of nation states. President Lincoln is the greatest president ever because he saved the Union. No telling what would have happened in WW I and II if we had not been the United States.

Our forefathers were wise to abandon the Articles of Confederation and replace them with our Constitution.

God Bless America.

http://unkarock.addr.com/unkarock/flying-flag.jpg

stoopified
1/20/2008, 10:56 AM
Dont Put ANY Flag Over OLD GLORY and we be fine ;)
Here,here!

1stTimeCaller
1/20/2008, 11:16 AM
Robert E. Lee was a loser.

olevetonahill
1/20/2008, 11:26 AM
What I was thinking. who wants to celibrate Losers ? ;)

Okla-homey
1/20/2008, 01:53 PM
What I was thinking. who wants to celibrate Losers ? ;)

Well, after all, he does attend college at a D-1 university that hasn't made it to a bowl game since 1992.;)

SicEmBaylor
1/20/2008, 02:03 PM
All eight of my great grandparents migrated to Oklahoma from confederate states. I have forgiven my ancestors for being confederates.

They, like Robert E. Lee, may have been honorable with great personal qualities. But they were on the wrong side.

The United States of America is the greatest nation on earth. We are the only true superpower. Thank God we did not balkanize in the 19th century, into a bunch of nation states. President Lincoln is the greatest president ever because he saved the Union. No telling what would have happened in WW I and II if we had not been the United States.

Our forefathers were wise to abandon the Articles of Confederation and replace them with our Constitution.

God Bless America.

http://unkarock.addr.com/unkarock/flying-flag.jpg

Where does this idea come from that the CSA wanted to return to the Articles of Confederation? It's the use of the form of "Confederate" in both terms that throws you isn't it?

NYC Poke
1/20/2008, 02:51 PM
He came in second place.

OKLA21FAN
1/20/2008, 03:08 PM
He came in second place.

which makes him the first losar!

NYC Poke
1/20/2008, 03:15 PM
which makes him the first losar!

At least he got them bowl-eligible.

SanJoaquinSooner
1/20/2008, 03:24 PM
Where does this idea come from that the CSA wanted to return to the Articles of Confederation? It's the use of the form of "Confederate" in both terms that throws you isn't it?

sorry, you misinterpreted. I never said anyone wanted to return to the Articles of Confederation.

Viking Kitten
1/20/2008, 03:24 PM
If Sicem wants to secede, I say we let him.

SicEmBaylor
1/20/2008, 03:30 PM
I'd be missed -- you know it. ;)

olevetonahill
1/20/2008, 03:41 PM
No we Force Him /her to stay !
Oh wait :eek:

sooneron
1/20/2008, 03:58 PM
I went to Washington & Lee for law school. REL became president of that university after the Civil War until his death. He and his family are entombed on campus in Lee Chapel.

I didn't have much opinion on REL before I went there, but I came away with great admiration, bordering in feeling humbled by receiving a diploma bearing his name. He's one of the most honorable men who ever lived.
I get it, REL = Rommel.

I'll be sure to bake a strudel on his birthday and have my jewish wife blow out the candles!:rolleyes:

SicEmBaylor
1/20/2008, 04:15 PM
I get it, REL = Rommel.

I'll be sure to bake a strudel on his birthday and have my jewish wife blow out the candles!:rolleyes:

What the hell does Rommel have to do with Lee?

1stTimeCaller
1/20/2008, 04:20 PM
nevermind Ron. He has a pink phone.

Rogue
1/20/2008, 04:22 PM

Wait for it....

DOH!

NYC Poke
1/20/2008, 04:23 PM

I don't see the connection either. Rommel was never Superindent of West Point, and Lee never mastered armored warfare. In any event, my Jewish gf knows where I went to school and she doesn't seem to mind.

SicEmBaylor
1/20/2008, 04:27 PM
I don't see the connection either. Rommel was never Superindent of West Point, and Lee never mastered armored warfare. In any event, my Jewish gf knows where I went to school and she doesn't seem to mind.

What does being jewish have to do with anything?

I guess I'm missing the Jewish connection.

NYC Poke
1/20/2008, 04:37 PM
What does being jewish have to do with anything?

I guess I'm missing the Jewish connection.

The Civil War was fought to end the enslavement of the Jews by the Egyptians . . . wait, I might have that wrong. Let me check on wiki and get back to you.

Mixer!
1/20/2008, 06:57 PM
LOL

JohnnyMack
1/20/2008, 10:31 PM
Rommel would have pwnt Lee. One good blast from an 88 and REL is spaghetti sauce.

sooneron
1/20/2008, 10:42 PM
Good lord, you guys are dense. Rommel = fighting for the wrong guys. And to the issue of West Point-

After the war (WWI), Rommel held battalion commands and was an instructor at the Dresden Infantry School from 1929 to 1933 and the Potsdam War Academy from 1935 to 1938.

Pretty much Germany's equivalent of West Point, eh? :rolleyes:

The wife part was the icing on the cake of celebrating a guy that fought for the "loser" side that had a lot of their **** incorrect. That could be seen as sort of, oh I don't know, ironic?

SicEmBaylor
1/20/2008, 10:53 PM
Good lord, you guys are dense. Rommel = fighting for the wrong guys. And to the issue of West Point-

The wife part was the icing on the cake of celebrating a guy that fought for the "loser" side that had a lot of their **** incorrect. That could be seen as sort of, oh I don't know, stupid?

Fixed, and agreed!

sanantoniosooner
1/20/2008, 11:00 PM
I can't wait for "Presidential Assassins Day"

sooneron
1/20/2008, 11:00 PM
Wow, stupid. You are amazing.

You're a doody head. Or fag, take your pick.

effay
1/20/2008, 11:33 PM

The wife part was the icing on the cake of celebrating a guy that fought for the "loser" side that had a lot of their **** incorrect. That could be seen as sort of, oh I don't know, ironic?

So what was the CSA's equivalent of the extermination camps that REL was fighting to defend? What exactly is the point of this comparison? To name-drop and show you know who Rommel is?

sooneron
1/20/2008, 11:36 PM
So what was the CSA's equivalent of the extermination camps that REL was fighting to defend? What exactly is the point of this comparison? To name-drop and show you know who Rommel is?
I think I made it simple enough. Rommel fighting for the losing side. REL fighting for the losing side. Buy a friggin vowel next time.

effay
1/20/2008, 11:40 PM
I think I made it simple enough. Rommel fighting for the losing side. REL fighting for the losing side. Buy a friggin vowel next time.

You're right about one thing - that's pretty damn simple.

sooneron
1/20/2008, 11:43 PM
Heh, did you stalk me over here after I busted on you for the noob bama comment on the fb board??
\\How pathetic.

That's hilarious.

Curly Bill
1/20/2008, 11:48 PM

Loser hell, the South didn't lose, they're just restin up. :D

SicEmBaylor
1/20/2008, 11:54 PM
Loser hell, the South didn't lose, they're just restin up. :D
I prefer to say that we didn't lose the war, we're merely taking a "strategic pause."

effay
1/20/2008, 11:54 PM
Yep, you caught me. I wanted to see if there was intellectual continuity throughout all your posts. An experiment really.

Curly Bill
1/20/2008, 11:57 PM
I prefer to say that we didn't lose the war, we're merely taking a "strategic pause."

...and with the manufacturing base that the South now has, which was it's biggest problem the first time around, I like our chances. ;)

Okla-homey
1/21/2008, 06:41 AM
...and with the manufacturing base that the South now has, which was it's biggest problem the first time around, I like our chances. ;)

durn tootin'. In fact, several regiments of well-seasoned and battle-hardened Wal-mart employees could be formed here in Oklahoma alone. ;)

MrJimBeam
1/21/2008, 07:12 AM
If we can find someone to teach us how to properly preform the "Rebel Yell" we'll be in. Have the Federal's flank turned and runnin' in no time!

Viking Kitten
1/21/2008, 09:16 AM
durn tootin'. In fact, several regiments of well-seasoned and battle-hardened Wal-mart employees could be formed here in Oklahoma alone. ;)

Then there's Arkansas's 71st Meth Brigade. A force to be reckoned with. (Until they crash.)

Viking Kitten
1/21/2008, 09:41 AM
And don't forget Mississippi's Formidable Fightin' Fatties. ("The CDC calls it a 'crippling obesity epidemic,' we call it 'swelling the ranks'").

sooneron
1/21/2008, 09:46 AM
Yep, you caught me. I wanted to see if there was intellectual continuity throughout all your posts. An experiment really.
I'm not the one that fell for the upcoming bama national title run post. LONG RUNNING joke here.

Viking Kitten
1/21/2008, 09:52 AM
Heh. Bama's guys would just hold up a picture of Bear Bryant and expect the Union soldiers to automatically surrender.

BigRedJed
1/21/2008, 10:03 AM
I'm not the one that fell for the upcoming bama national title run post. LONG RUNNING joke here.
Careful, you might get some blue steel negspek.

sooneron
1/21/2008, 10:05 AM
Careful, you might get some blue steel negspek.
[doing the hebie jeebie jazz fingers whilst bug eyed] Already did [doing the hebie jeebie jazz fingers whilst bug eyed]

BigRedJed
1/21/2008, 10:06 AM
YOU'RE MARKED FOR LIFE!!!

sooneron
1/21/2008, 10:27 AM
YOU'RE MARKED FOR LIFE!!!
AND I HAVE PASSED IT DOWN!!!....

AAAAAAAAARRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!

http://img250.imageshack.us/img250/5112/neggednj7.jpg

TheHumanAlphabet
1/21/2008, 11:57 AM
Up until 1980 or so, we got the day off in Georgia. R.E. Lee Day. It was an official state holiday and a school holiday.