PDA

View Full Version : Reggie Smith projected as a top 10 pick....

Soonerus
1/18/2008, 11:24 PM
...maybe he made a great decision...

http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=1144&CID=749667

Sooner Suzie
1/19/2008, 12:04 AM
I doubt that he'll go top-10, but at least this mock draft shows 5 CB's going in the 1st round. If that holds, reggie probably did make a good decision.

Soonerus
1/19/2008, 12:07 AM
I hate, hate that he is leaving but I think he may have made the right decision...

RADsooner
1/19/2008, 12:49 AM
hhmmm, and MK right behind him too............

OUPrice08
1/19/2008, 06:49 PM
hmm..i could see him going first round possibly but i don't know if i agree with him going before talib...

stoops the eternal pimp
1/19/2008, 08:14 PM
this group of corners is a crap shoot...Not a great bunch but 70 percent of the league teams need one

JohnnyMack
1/19/2008, 08:45 PM
Aqib Talib seems like a rip at 20.

effay
1/19/2008, 08:48 PM
As much as I love Reggie, I still have to say Antoine Cason is the top corner in the draft by quite a bit. In fact, Cason is really the only corner in the draft that I feel safe calling a 'shut-down corner'.

effay
1/19/2008, 09:07 PM
this group of corners is a crap shoot...Not a great bunch but 70 percent of the league teams need one

Agree that most of the league needs a corner, but I'm going to have to strongly disagree with your assertion that this corner crop is weak. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if this ended up being the strongest corner class in the last decade. This draft is loaded with top corners; it's probably the strongest position in the draft IMO.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but here are the guys I think are 1st or 2nd round quality: Antoine Cason, Aquib Talib, Reggie Smith, Mike Jenkins, Leodis McKelvin, Tracy Porter, Brandon Flowers, Dwight Lowery, DeJuan Tribble, Terrance Wheatley, Jack Ikegwuonu and Terrell Thomas. Some other guys that have potential to move into the 1st or 2nd with a good combine: Dominique Rogers-Cromartie, Justin King, Charles Godfrey, Zack Bowman, Simeon Castille, Chevis Jackson and Patrick Lee. Even the guys behind them have potential.

What's more is that a ton of these guys have the size that NFL teams have been searching for since Jerry Rice. And, as I've said before, Antoine Cason is the real deal.

Seriously, who here doesn't belong?

Collier11
1/19/2008, 09:17 PM
http://collegefootball.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=1144&CID=763479

4 OU guys projected as top 100 prospects

soonerbrat
1/19/2008, 09:26 PM
I hate, hate that he is leaving but I think he may have made the right decision...

but did he make the right decision?

Newbomb Turk
1/19/2008, 09:39 PM
I just wonder if he made the right decision.

JohnnyMack
1/19/2008, 09:40 PM
Decisions, decisions...

stoops the eternal pimp
1/19/2008, 09:58 PM
Agree that most of the league needs a corner, but I'm going to have to strongly disagree with your assertion that this corner crop is weak. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if this ended up being the strongest corner class in the last decade. This draft is loaded with top corners; it's probably the strongest position in the draft IMO.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but here are the guys I think are 1st or 2nd round quality: Antoine Cason, Aquib Talib, Reggie Smith, Mike Jenkins, Leodis McKelvin, Tracy Porter, Brandon Flowers, Dwight Lowery, DeJuan Tribble, Terrance Wheatley, Jack Ikegwuonu and Terrell Thomas. Some other guys that have potential to move into the 1st or 2nd with a good combine: Dominique Rogers-Cromartie, Justin King, Charles Godfrey, Zack Bowman, Simeon Castille, Chevis Jackson and Patrick Lee. Even the guys behind them have potential.

What's more is that a ton of these guys have the size that NFL teams have been searching for since Jerry Rice. And, as I've said before, Antoine Cason is the real deal.

IMO, one of the top corners went back to school in Malcolm Jenkins which instantly dropped the grade on the crop. Mike Jenkins is the real deal also and look for him to go before Talib.

Not a bad group of corners but not great.. Lacks the top end appeal but some solid players

adoniijahsooner
1/19/2008, 10:03 PM
Reggie is in a good position because he is versatile, and can play safety or corner very well. Many of these other guys are just pure corners

effay
1/19/2008, 11:08 PM
Reggie is in a good position because he is versatile, and can play safety or corner very well. Many of these other guys are just pure corners

I hate to say it, but when a team drafts a corner in the 1st round I think the fact that they can play a little safety factors in as 0.1% of the evaluation. When you draft a corner in the first round, you draft them to play corner.

soonerboy_odanorth
1/19/2008, 11:31 PM
I don't like betting on my Sooners. Fact of the matter, I don't like betting... waste of money.

So being the tight butt I am, I offer the following bank-breaking bet:

$20 says Reggie does not go Top 10.

First come, first serve. (i.e. I am NOT making this bet with everybody that wants it...just the first to respond.)

To the first responder: I also offer you a $10 recovery bet. I say Reggie does not go first round. If you bet he does go Top 10, and he does, if you accept the $10 recovery bet, you get $30. If you bet he goes Top 10, accept the $10 recovery bet, but doesn't go Top 10, though does go first round, then I still owe you $10. If you accept $10 recovery bet in addition to the original bet, but he does not go first round, you owe me $30.

Any questions?

Have at it.

Collier11
1/19/2008, 11:33 PM
If reggie puts up the impressive numbers at the combine that he has consistently put up, he will be 1st rd. I do not believe he will be Top 10.

sooneron
1/19/2008, 11:33 PM

With that many people, how can rus be right that Reggie made the right decision?

Soonerus
1/19/2008, 11:36 PM
With that many people, how can rus be right that Reggie made the right decision?

point of order, I said "maybe" made a great decision...we'll see...

soonerboy_odanorth
1/19/2008, 11:38 PM
Is that a bet, Collier11?

$30 could be yours....even $10....

I say he can't recover from said broken toe by the combine to put up impressive numbers... That is to say, he's going to be drafted from film.

What say you?

sooneron
1/19/2008, 11:39 PM
Re: post #3. ...

Soonerus
1/19/2008, 11:48 PM
Re: post #3. ...

I'll stand on the record...I never said he absolutely made the right choice....and by the way I hate that he is leaving, it will hurt the Sooners next year..

Collier11
1/19/2008, 11:52 PM
Is that a bet, Collier11?

$30 could be yours....even $10....

I say he can't recover from said broken toe by the combine to put up impressive numbers... That is to say, he's going to be drafted from film.

What say you?

I already said I dont think he is Top 10 but if you ill do the 1st rd for $10 straight up

soonerboy_odanorth
1/20/2008, 12:52 AM
I already said I dont think he is Top 10 but if you ill do the 1st rd for $10 straight up

Done.

It's on... 1st round for $10. All other bets off.

Peem me if he goes 1st round and I'll zip you your Hamilton.

The VIIIth
1/20/2008, 01:26 AM
Reggie is an incredibly unique athlete who we almost lost to USC, not nebbish. MK can more easily be replaced than someone with the consistency that Reggie brought to the Sooner table. Tackles you were sure were going to be made. In position, almost always in position. He also had a heck of a lot of passion that he translated into plays, he never pouted, he changed positions when he was asked and was proud to be a Sooner.

Of the 5 guys that didn't play any significant time in the Fiesta on defense, Reggie is who I thought we missed the most. From WV WR's breaking tackles to Franks running backwards on a punt return (in a key game with WV ahead, who made that bone headed personnel call?) to the FB run down a DB'less right side of the field for 60 yards. Every play they made, I missed Reggie or at least as experienced and as talented a player as Reggie. But we don't have that guy. Our entire premise for excellence next year took it's biggest hit with his decision to go pro.

And I wish him only great things now and in the future.

soonerboy_odanorth
1/20/2008, 01:55 AM
Reggie is an incredibly unique athlete who we almost lost to USC, not nebbish. MK can more easily be replaced than someone with the consistency that Reggie brought to the Sooner table. Tackles you were sure were going to be made. In position, almost always in position. He also had a heck of a lot of passion that he translated into plays, he never pouted, he changed positions when he was asked and was proud to be a Sooner.

Of the 5 guys that didn't play any significant time in the Fiesta on defense, Reggie is who I thought we missed the most. From WV WR's breaking tackles to Franks running backwards on a punt return (in a key game with WV ahead, who made that bone headed personnel call?) to the FB run down a DB'less right side of the field for 60 yards. Every play they made, I missed Reggie or at least as experienced and as talented a player as Reggie. But we don't have that guy. Our entire premise for excellence next year took it's biggest hit with his decision to go pro.

And I wish him only great things now and in the future.

To be clear....agree with a lot of that, not all. I am not, nor have ever been "down", per se, on Reggie. He just, in my observation, never made the "next level" difference maker.

Losing Lofton, and potentially Granger, are much (much!much!) larger hits on this team.

I know the three kinds of lies are "Lies, Damned Lies, and Statistics."

But if you look at the statistics, DJ, Marcus, Nic, and Lendy had everything Reggie offered.

So...... Anybody high on the other kids that apparently have decided to continue to hang out in-near-around this program? (Franks, B. Jackson, Dez Jackson...)

Hmmmm....

We ARE going to be "ok" next year, you know....