PDA

View Full Version : On the presidential race, in probably the longest campaign in the history of mankind.

Soonerus
1/18/2008, 10:35 PM
...where are the really strong candidates...we have a bunch of b-level candidates IMO...where did the good people go ??? None of them really impress me...

jk the sooner fan
1/18/2008, 10:57 PM
they all probably feel the same way about the voters......

Soonerus
1/18/2008, 11:00 PM
Yes, but really, who is the head-turner, the superstar...does not exist...

KaiserSooner
1/18/2008, 11:12 PM
It probably depends on your political persuasions. Since I'm left wing, I totally disagree....Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama are two bigtime winners for liberals like me.

If you're conservative, I can understand your malaise.

Soonerus
1/18/2008, 11:16 PM
It probably depends on your political persuasions. Since I'm left wing, I totally disagree....Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama are two bigtime winners for liberals like me.

If you're conservative, I can understand your malaise.

I am not anything I am just totally underwhelmed with the field...

KaiserSooner
1/18/2008, 11:36 PM
Hmm. Well maybe you're hard to please :) There are candidates of a variety of stripes....insiders, outsiders, social liberals, social conservatives, idealists, a libertarian, a social democrat, a batsh!t crazy (yet engaging and personable) Baptist preacher, a folksy brainless Southern "conservative," a folksy annoying Southern trail lawyer/protectionist, an amorphous and mercurial former NY mayor and 9/11 banner boy, a rational conservative, an insider former first lady that's either hated or loved....

Seriously though. Every presidential election cycle, there is usually reason to complain about the candidates to choose from. And we usually do complain. It always feels like a choice among the least evil. This year though, for me, there's less to complain about.

Soonerus
1/18/2008, 11:38 PM
Hmm. Well maybe you're hard to please :) There are candidates of a variety of stripes....insiders, outsiders, social liberals, social conservatives, idealists, a libertarian, a social democrat, a batsh!t crazy (yet engaging and personable) Baptist preacher, a folksy brainless Southern "conservative," a folksy annoying Southern trail lawyer/protectionist, an amorphous and mercurial former NY mayor and 9/11 banner boy, a rational conservative, an insider former first lady that's either hated or loved....

Seriously though. Every presidential election cycle, there is usually reason to complain about the candidates to choose from. And we usually do complain. It always feels like a choice among the least evil. This year though, for me, there's less to complain about.

Great comments but I just fail to see the superstar....I have no idea who I will vote for at this time and I always vote.....

GottaHavePride
1/18/2008, 11:40 PM
There isn't a clear leader from the Republicans. The Democrats have Hillary and Obama. I still think Obama is the stronger candidate.

However, neither party has anyone as charismatic as a JFK.

I had a professor who said he used to go over to the archives of the Presidential debates to watch the old JFK / Nixon debates and, as he put it "weep for the current state of our country". Heh.

Soonerus
1/18/2008, 11:41 PM
There isn't a clear leader from the Republicans. The Democrats have Hillary and Obama. I still think Obama is the stronger candidate.

However, neither party has anyone as charismatic as a JFK.

I had a professor who said he used to go over to the archives of the Presidential debates to watch the old JFK / Nixon debates and, as he put it "weep for the current state of our country". Heh.

So you agree....

jk the sooner fan
1/18/2008, 11:45 PM
exactly what has HRC or BHO done while they've been senators

give me some legislation they've had a leadership role in - something they've introduced thats been passed - anything

something substantial

Soonerus
1/18/2008, 11:49 PM
Longest campaign in history and least qualified candidates...

jk the sooner fan
1/18/2008, 11:50 PM
exactly how is it longer than any other campaign rus?

Soonerus
1/18/2008, 11:53 PM
like formally 2 years in US...this is a given in most circles...not a negative just an anomaly...

jk the sooner fan
1/18/2008, 11:54 PM
no, its the same length of time as any other campaign

soonerhubs
1/18/2008, 11:55 PM
...where are the really strong candidates...we have a bunch of b-level candidates IMO...where did the good people go ??? None of them really impress me...
They're all watered down by quantity. Kinda like your threads.

;) I keed I keed.

Soonerus
1/18/2008, 11:56 PM
no, its the same length of time as any other campaign

I totally disagree this is the longest campaign in US history...

jk the sooner fan
1/19/2008, 12:02 AM
I totally disagree this is the longest campaign in US history...

that may be your perception

but its not reality

perhaps shorter with an incumbent running for election - but the primaries are always on the same dates - all the posturing done before is quite typical

GottaHavePride
1/19/2008, 12:04 AM
I think it's perception - the media coverage has increased substantialy, so you feel saturated with the campaign far earlier than usual.

And I agree, neither Hillary nor Obama has done anything substantial. I think Hillary is more polarizing than Obama, though.

Soonerus
1/19/2008, 12:09 AM
I think it's perception - the media coverage has increased substantialy, so you feel saturated with the campaign far earlier than usual.

And I agree, neither Hillary nor Obama has done anything substantial. I think Hillary is more polarizing than Obama, though.

I am totally confused who I might ultimately vote for...very undecided at this point...

Mjcpr
1/19/2008, 12:10 AM
Totally undecided.....longest in US history. We got it.

:D

mikeelikee
1/19/2008, 01:06 AM
The Donks are longing for another JFK. Many of us in the GOP are longing for another Reagan. Neither is available in this election.

Jimminy Crimson
1/19/2008, 04:29 AM
The Donks are longing for another JFK. Many of us in the GOP are longing for another Reagan. Neither is available in this election.

Exactly. Both of the above are deceased. There's no bringing them back.