PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye Bailey

bluedogok
1/18/2008, 09:49 PM
Well, I had to say goodbye to my friend and companion today. Bailey was having some health issues, she was diagnosed with Cushing's about 6 months ago but seemed to be well. Around Christmas we started noticing some changes but nothing much, by last week she had lost weight and was not eating much.

We took her to the vet on Tuesday, she had stayed there since. She was also diagnosed with diabetes. She had been undergoing treatments to try and get her healthy, yesterday she had an ultrasound done and was shown to be tumor free which was a concern that it was more. Even last night they thought she might be able to go home this evening, by this morning that had changed. She had lost the use of her back legs, was laboring to breathe and was bruising. We went to the vet at noon and could see that she was just tired of fighting, so we made the decision. She would have been 9 years old next month.

Bailey was my first dog as an adult on my own, I had dogs before but it was always a "family dog" so it wasn't quite the same. I waited until I had a house with a yard. She is where I came up with my username of BLUE heeler DOG in OKlahoma when I was trying to think up a unique username for IM use. I picked her from a friends litter when she was two weeks old and got her when she was six weeks old.

I already miss her and the way she would have the one quick bark when I put the key in the door, the way that she would hook your elbow when you were asleep and she wanted outside. She always traveled great and loved to go for a ride in the car and as is typical with Blue Heelers, sometimes they are too smart for their own good.

She was a wonderful companion and she will be greatly missed by both Naomi and I.

Here are some pics as a puppy.
http://bluedogok.com/bailey/bailey1sm.jpghttp://bluedogok.com/bailey/bailey2sm.jpg

Here are a few after we moved down here.
http://bluedogok.com/bailey/bailey.jpghttp://bluedogok.com/bailey/bailey_sleeping.jpg
http://bluedogok.com/bailey/bailey-bevo.jpg
http://bluedogok.com/bailey/bailey-couch.jpg

Newbomb Turk
1/18/2008, 09:54 PM
My wife and I were just talking last night about how much we would miss our dog if he were gone. He has become so much a part of our lives.

I'm sorry you had to put your dog down, but I'm sure it was the best choice.

OCUDad
1/18/2008, 11:21 PM
bluedogok, our hearts go out to you. You've lost a member of your family.

Here's to Bailey.

TopDaugIn2000
1/18/2008, 11:22 PM
awwww, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. they are part of the family for sure.

jk the sooner fan
1/18/2008, 11:24 PM
:(

Soonerus
1/18/2008, 11:25 PM
I am truly sorry man....that is really tough...

BigRedJed
1/18/2008, 11:26 PM
Sorry to hear it. Man, it's awful to lose a favorite pet.

olevetonahill
1/18/2008, 11:27 PM
You Only get a very Few Great dogs In this Life . Ive been fortunate to have had 3
Bear Dog was the Best, I lost him 4 yrs ago . It still Hurts .
Know we Feel for Yall .

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
1/18/2008, 11:38 PM
Sorry for your loss. I had dogs live to be 13 and 17. They become part of the family.

Soonerus
1/18/2008, 11:43 PM
A dog dying is truly tramatic ...at least it was in my family...horrible..

SoonerGirl06
1/19/2008, 12:11 AM
I am so sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers go out to you.

Blue Heelers are the best dogs in the world. We had a female that we named Sugar. Definitely a great family friend and companion. Very smart and loyal dogs. If I were to get another dog, it'll be a Blue.

Tailwind
1/19/2008, 12:24 AM
I am so sorry to hear your news, it made me cry. You will miss her very much now, and 10 years from now you will look back on her memory with great affections. Goods friends are hard to lose.

Sooner Schemer
1/19/2008, 12:32 AM
So sorry to hear about your loss. It's always hard to lose such a loyal companion, but I can't imagine going through life without one.

I'll be giving my dogs an extra hug tonight in your honor.

The Dog Mumbler (http://www.flickr.com/photos/dogmumbler/)

Ardmore_Sooner
1/19/2008, 12:35 AM
Just reading your message brings tears to my eyes. My prayers are with you guys. :(

mikeelikee
1/19/2008, 12:58 AM
I feel your pain, bro. We've been there twice. Our first great dog, a Golden Retreiver, lived to be 13. Then we got a fawn-colored Pug, and she made it to 11 before her pancreas failed. Now we have a feisty little black Pug. There's nothing like a dog. Special, special creations of God they are.

OUAndy1807
1/19/2008, 01:11 AM
sorry for your loss.

I wonder what the deal is with cushings. We've had 3 dogs diagnosed in the last 7 or so years. I wonder if it's something in the processed dog food or something.

soonerbrat
1/19/2008, 01:24 AM
So sorry to hear that.

soonerhubs
1/19/2008, 09:36 AM
My thoughts are with you my friend.

SoonerBOI
1/19/2008, 09:38 AM
sorry for your loss...

Harry Beanbag
1/19/2008, 10:41 AM
What is Cushings? I've never heard of it.

My condolences for your loss Scott, that's tough.

soonerbrat
1/19/2008, 10:45 AM
Cushing's disease is caused by either a tumor of the pituitary gland or the adrenal gland - resulting in an overload of cortisol which causes weight gain and hair loss, and a whole mess of other symptoms.

soonerbrat
1/19/2008, 10:47 AM
people can get it too and they get really, really fat when they have it

Howzit
1/19/2008, 11:13 AM
:( :(

Rogue
1/19/2008, 11:33 AM
Sorry for your family's loss, BluedogOK.
Bailey was a beautiful animal. For us dog lovers, euthanizing a pet is one of the hardest, and kindest, things we can do for our gentle guardians.
Anyone who thinks losing a pooch is trivial hasn't been loved by a great dog yet.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=AU_eGEZSKf0

AMSooner
1/19/2008, 12:07 PM
Sorry for your loss, bluedog. I had to put my dog Harley down exactly five months ago today and I still miss him so much. It will get a little easier every day, so hang in there.

SleestakSooner
1/19/2008, 12:18 PM
My dog Sprocket, who is over ten-years-old now, is part lab/shep/wolf and has a brendle coat with a white belly. He's 100 pounds of lovin. It would hurt bad to lose my big mutt, think I'll take him for a long ride soon!

Sorry for your loss bluedogok, Bailey was a pretty pup

85Sooner
1/19/2008, 12:30 PM
Sorry to hear that scott. Hang in there.

jkjsooner
1/19/2008, 04:59 PM
I'm sorry to hear about Bailey. She was a very beautiful dog. We like to talk about the Rainbow Bridge where your dog will wait for you. Gosh, I'm about to lose it....

My wife has a dog named Bailey as well. I have a large German Shepherd named Jupiter that has Degenerative Myelopathy. It's sort of like multiple sclerosis. He is such a sweet and loyal dog. I feel blessed every day I have with him. Life is a struggle for him now but he's still happy. He's such a trooper. He's done much better than I expected but I know his time is short. God absolutely brought this dog to me. He helped me through some of the hardest times of my life.

Okla-homey
1/19/2008, 05:48 PM
I love dogs. They are the epitome of the concept of unconditional love. Moreover, canines are one of the precious few species that God hard-wired that way. That makes them even more special in my book.

My sincere condolences.

StoopTroup
1/19/2008, 06:01 PM
What Homey said.

Sorry for your loss Blue.

ST

ChickSoonerFan
1/19/2008, 06:35 PM
So sorry to hear about your Bailey, there is not much sadder than the loss of a dog. I miss mine so much.

SOONER STEAKER
1/19/2008, 06:39 PM
I'm sorry to hear of your loss.

LilSooner
1/19/2008, 07:25 PM
Awww I hate to hear this. :( All of my puppies have at least one parent that was a heeler. There are not better dogs on this earth than blue heelers. I am so sorry for your loss.

Curly Bill
1/20/2008, 12:28 AM
So sorry for your loss, I know how tough it can be. I lost my best friend of 12 years, a Miniature Pinscher named Hannibal, two Fridays ago. I had him cremated and he's now back with me. I also had the overwhelming feeling after losing him (had him put down due to his kidneys going out on him and what that was putting him through) that he was now in a better place. My dog and your dog are now playing together. Prayers for you.

GrapevineSooner
1/20/2008, 01:52 AM
Raising a tall one to Bailey tonight.

Mixer!
1/20/2008, 02:21 AM
Sorry to read about your loss. :(

captain_surly
1/20/2008, 08:39 AM
I'm so very sorry for your loss. You too Curly Bill. We have 5 dogs and I honestly wouldn't mind if they all out lived me. I'll do the right thing when the time comes but I will most certainly shed crocodile tears. I actually teared up reading your post. I know, I'm a wimp. Again, my condolences.

OU-HSV
1/20/2008, 09:36 AM
Sorry Blue, I hate to hear that.